• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

mr_nothin

Banned
I don't think pointing out that it was essentially a worthless upgrade is going to make the people that purchased it feel better about having it nerfed.

It wasnt really a worthless upgrade, it meant you could hover for longer periods of time while taking small arms fire from multiple enemies. You'll still be able to do that now, it'll just be riskier.
I'm also thinking that it's just a numbers readjustment rather than actually changing the armor.

Ketch

You don't think it's pretty crazy to change a 1800 cert investment from a 50% bonus to an 8% bonus?

Big percentage change doesn't really always add up to an actual big change.

For example if small arms only ever did 10 damage to ESF then the change would only mean that now they take 9.2 damage instead of 5 damage.... that might be a big change... but if they ESF can take 10,000 damage then it essentially means nothing.

That's all hypothetical, and I don't even know if I'm doing math right, but hopefully it makes sense.

Myomoto

I just had a Scythe with armor abandoned and laying right next to me and my rounds still barely did any damage and that's with every single one of them landing on target. Two full mags and it still had the majority of its health but that's when the test ended as some guy blew it up with a rocket instead...lol

Like Nothin said, I think people are just reading the percentages and not applying those numbers to how it will actually affect the game. Percentages are deceiving when default numbers did very little anyway.

By the way, we need some real squadmates for the TR outfit on Mattherson. Otherwise, we'll probably just join an outfit that's active eventually since it makes the game 100x better.

Use the HA's LMG. It can easily knock off something like 1/4-1/3 of an ESF's health in one mag, and considering that somebody had to expend a cooldown and use resources to get an ESF, that seemed kinda fair.

mr_nothin

Banned
Use the HA's LMG. It can easily knock off something like 1/4-1/3 of an ESF's health in one mag, and considering that somebody had to expend a cooldown and use resources to get an ESF, that seemed kinda fair.

If somebody sits in 1 spot long enough to eat 100 bullets then they deserve to explode.

demolitio

If somebody sits in 1 spot long enough to eat 100 bullets then they deserve to explode.

Essentially. Why do people think it's normal to be able to land all of your shots in your magazine on aircraft and it do nothing? The point is regular bullets aren't supposed to be able to hit them that many times in a row which is why flak cannons exist.

Let's put it this way. Even helicopters in real life don't hover in one spot unless landing, deploying, etc. for this very reason. The Apaches had to develop new maneuvers that had them quickly firing on target while they gain speed and swoop on by. Do you see them hovering RIGHT ABOVE enemies and just sit there? No. They hover when they're really far away when there's no hostiles in range to hit them and then they pick people off. You never see them just sit there and purposely take fire thinking they're invincible.

Hell, look at BF3. You sit there and put your F-35 right over a base and hover there, you're fucked. You can get a few kills but of you're going to die.

I don't get how people don't get modern day doctrines and the importance of keeping on the move, and that plays out in this game. If you sit in one place, isn't it your own damn fault for your death? Is it messed up that some spent all their certs for something not as good now? Yes, but that's what to expect from patches in a rock, paper, scissors game like PS2 and that's why I didn't buy the armor. I keep on the move and try to stay alive as long as possible.

So you can complain about losing the certs maybe, but don't think the fighters should be able to hover right above a point and somehow be invulnerable when that's not how it's meant to be played. You're never supposed to get all 100 rounds of your magazine on target on them unless they're doing something wrong.

Edit: By the way, I'm an aviation nut who loves to fly in games so don't think this is infantry bias. I'm more annoyed by AA rockets.

demolitio

So whats the like/hate for new weapons (besides how it looks)? Any good?

Sounds like the rifles are good alternatives that are easy to use and the snipers make the other bolt actions useless in my opinion because they shoot a lot faster and barely have any drop at all at long range. I tested my normal bolt action and then used a trial on the new one and it was an obvious choice which was better and the slower racking and reload times don't come into play much.

I'm sure other guns will come along that are for the opposite play style, but the snipers in this update are headshot machines making them a lot better in my opinion.

Liberty4all

Banned
Sounds like the rifles are good alternatives that are easy to use and the snipers make the other bolt actions useless in my opinion because they shoot a lot faster and barely have any drop at all at long range. I tested my normal bolt action and then used a trial on the new one and it was an obvious choice which was better and the slower racking and reload times don't come into play much.

I'm sure other guns will come along that are for the opposite play style, but the snipers in this update are headshot machines making them a lot better in my opinion.

I wonder if nanoweave will help keep one alive after a sniper headshot from these new guns.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Essentially. Why do people think it's normal to be able to land all of your shots in your magazine on aircraft and it do nothing? The point is regular bullets aren't supposed to be able to hit them that many times in a row which is why flak cannons exist.

Let's put it this way. Even helicopters in real life don't hover in one spot unless landing, deploying, etc. for this very reason. The Apaches had to develop new maneuvers that had them quickly firing on target while they gain speed and swoop on by. Do you see them hovering RIGHT ABOVE enemies and just sit there? No. They hover when they're really far away when there's no hostiles in range to hit them and then they pick people off. You never see them just sit there and purposely take fire thinking they're invincible.

Hell, look at BF3. You sit there and put your F-35 right over a base and hover there, you're fucked. You can get a few kills but of you're going to die.

I don't get how people don't get modern day doctrines and the importance of keeping on the move, and that plays out in this game. If you sit in one place, isn't it your own damn fault for your death? Is it messed up that some spent all their certs for something not as good now? Yes, but that's what to expect from patches in a rock, paper, scissors game like PS2 and that's why I didn't buy the armor. I keep on the move and try to stay alive as long as possible.

So you can complain about losing the certs maybe, but don't think the fighters should be able to hover right above a point and somehow be invulnerable when that's not how it's meant to be played. You're never supposed to get all 100 rounds of your magazine on target on them unless they're doing something wrong.

Edit: By the way, I'm an aviation nut who loves to fly in games so don't think this is infantry bias. I'm more annoyed by AA rockets.
That's exactly how it works in BF3. Infantry small arms weapons do no damage to air vehicles.

Sarcasm

I wonder if nanoweave will help keep one alive after a sniper headshot from these new guns.

Didn't have time to try TR carbine/sniper nor vanu sniper..but I got to test the new vanu carbine. Def going to buy this!!!

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
So whats the like/hate for new weapons (besides how it looks)? Any good?

I purchased the serpent, I only fired it off a bit at the warp gate, but it felt pretty close to the vx6-7. I'll be testing it out this weekend, when I have time to play.

demolitio

That's exactly how it works in BF3. Infantry small arms weapons do no damage to air vehicles.

You can easily get shot out of the cockpit which results in the exact same thing? Whether it's by a mounted machine gun, an LMG support guy, a sniper, it still happens.

And still, that doesn't address anything else in my post. You're not meant to just hover over a base and fire rockets at the exit to an enemy spawn in PS2 unless you want shot down after a few kills. That's how it should be.

Being a good pilot is always about hit and runs and always being on the move while supporting ground troops through continuous passes...

new patch notes for today http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/update-notes-12-06-2012.61155/

With today's Marketplace update a few changes went in that players may note affects gameplay:

Anti-Tank mines now require you deploy versus throw them. There is a restriction preventing them from being placed too close together. The current range is farther than the team would like and will be adjusted.
The following changes have been made to the M60 Bulldog
Magazine size has been reduced to 4.
Size certifications provide one round each rank.
Projectile speed has been increased.
Direct Hit damage has been increased.

sixghost

There was an amazing battle outside of Quartz and Indor a few hours ago on Mattherson. It lasted almost 20-30 minutes and was just a constant stream of infinity, armor and air crashing into each other. That was easily the highlight of the game so far for me, too bad no one else from the outfit was on.

You know, they advertise this games selling point as 'massive battles,' yet the massive battles are basically broken due to the draw distance and framerate drops. I think I'm going back to BF3 until they work this out.

Ding

Yea they throw you into the thick of it when you first make a character but everytime after that you'll spawn at the warpgate. You can get to the warpgate via the Respawn screen (you see it when you die or hit the "Redeploy" button on the bottom right corner when you're looking at the big map). When you're on that screen, the warpgate is usually the one on the bottom of the list

You can tell whether an enemy is friendly or foe by using either the minimap or looking for the light blue triangle over their head. You can also hit the Q key to mark enemies with red triangles (like in BF3)
Thanks for the reply. I played for several hours, yesterday, and was relieved to see that it spawned me in at the warpgate. And as a bonus, my "old" computer was managing 55-60 FPS there with everything on Low, so I could at least get a feel for the gameplay without it turning into a slideshow.

Lemme throw a few more newb questions out there:

What's the deal with grenades? It seems like I had one, used it, and never got another one. Later, I was digging around in one of the equip screens, and saw an option for, I dunno, resupplying or something. There was a cost associated with it, but I think I got another grenade to use afterwards? Do I have to keep doing that over and over? Is there a way to tell the game to spawn me with grenades by default?

And just generally speaking, what are those points that I am spending when I spawn a tank, or refill my grenades? Are those my personal points, or are they from a shared pool? How are those points earned? Do they just refill on a timer?

Finally, I think I'll want to specialize in vehicles. Probably air. What sort of control scheme do the "good" pilots use? Back in the day, I flew choppers in Desert Combat (the mod for BF 1942). I used a USB flight stick with an integrated throttle slider and twist for yaw. It seemed to work quite well after lots of practice. I was wondering if a similar set up would work here.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You can easily get shot out of the cockpit which results in the exact same thing? Whether it's by a mounted machine gun, an LMG support guy, a sniper, it still happens.

And still, that doesn't address anything else in my post. You're not meant to just hover over a base and fire rockets at the exit to an enemy spawn in PS2 unless you want shot down after a few kills. That's how it should be.

Being a good pilot is always about hit and runs and always being on the move while supporting ground troops through continuous passes...
The only reason why hovering wasn't a good idea in BF3 is because the jets would shred you. The jet cannons in BF3 are hilariously OP. Air balance in heli only maps was broken for a long, long time.

But fighters don't counter air as hard in P2, and dogfighting isn't as popular. It's a different balancing challenge. I think things will fall into place better when they figure out the role that bombers, fighters, and the upcoming frigates should fulfill, and tailor their specs and loadouts towards those specializations a little better.

MrBig

What's the deal with grenades? It seems like I had one, used it, and never got another one. Later, I was digging around in one of the equip screens, and saw an option for, I dunno, resupplying or something. There was a cost associated with it, but I think I got another grenade to use afterwards? Do I have to keep doing that over and over? Is there a way to tell the game to spawn me with grenades by default?

And just generally speaking, what are those points that I am spending when I spawn a tank, or refill my grenades? Are those my personal points, or are they from a shared pool? How are those points earned? Do they just refill on a timer?

Grenades have a resource cost associated with them, as of now there is no way to auto buy them but SOE has said they want to add that in. Infantry resources are used to pay for them, all the different types have different costs. Resources are in your own personal pool and are automatically gained over time for the territory your faction owns. Whenever you fill up to the max 750 inf resources remember to fill up all your grenades as it's just being wasted if the resources sit there.

There are also resources specifically for ground vehicles and air vehicles. You accumulate them in the same way, resources are spent when your spawn the vehicle.

You can check the resource boxes on the map to see what territories give what amount of whatever resource for the controlling faction. You can see the time to the next resource resupply point by pressing TAB.

Lemme throw a few more newb questions out there:

The equipment screen houses your supply of grenades and other consumables. You purchase them and - by default - take one grenade with you when you hit the big green Resupply button. That's the only way to get another grenade after you've used the one you have on you, you have to go to an equipment terminal and hit that resupply button, and assuming your personal stash has one left, you take it. There are cert upgrades to carry more nades, and other consumables.

Resources are divided into three catagories - mechanized, aviation, and infantry. You can only use infantry resources, for example, to resupply infantry equipment and get a MAX suit. Mech is for vehicles and aviation is for the fly-types. Each region of a continent is worth some resources - the big facilities are worth a lot more. The map screen displays what and how many resources each region possesses. Resources are earned every so many minutes depending on how many regions your faction control, you also get more resources upon capture of a region. The map screen, on the right side, shows how many resources you get each pay period.

EDIT: Gah, beaten.

Soi-Fong

There was an amazing battle outside of Quartz and Indor a few hours ago on Mattherson. It lasted almost 20-30 minutes and was just a constant stream of infinity, armor and air crashing into each other. That was easily the highlight of the game so far for me, too bad no one else from the outfit was on.

lol The one day I decide to take a nap. haha That sucks. Would have been on otherwise.

I racked up headshots during my trial, but damn do I hate bolt-action.

Soi-Fong

I purchased the serpent, I only fired it off a bit at the warp gate, but it felt pretty close to the vx6-7. I'll be testing it out this weekend, when I have time to play.

Tell us how it is. Really wish they used a new model. It's the same exact model as the VX6-7. With people spending money on these things, I really wish they'd spend time to at least give a whole new model to the guns. Anyway, depending think I'll stick to my VX6-7.

Also, I effin wish they'd patch in grenades automatically being refilled after you respawn. I don't wanna have to keep on clicking to resupply it especially when you just want to get back to the battle.

Didn't have time to try TR carbine/sniper nor vanu sniper..but I got to test the new vanu carbine. Def going to buy this!!!

How's the recoil and accuracy. With a faster firing rate, I'd guess the recoil is higher than th e VX6-7 which would make medium engagements much harder.

Ding

Thanks for the info about resource points. It makes total sense to have a cost associated with vehicles and such, to prevent utter spam-age. And I'm glad to hear that I wasn't wasting team resources when I bought (and promptly crashed) that space fighter thingie. It makes somewhat less sense to me that grenades are treated differently than other ammo types.

Is there, like, a manual somewhere for this game? A preferred wiki? Oh God, I hope that wasn't covered in the OP.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Tell us how it is. Really wish they used a new model. It's the same exact model as the VX6-7. With people spending money on these things, I really wish they'd spend time to at least give a whole new model to the guns. Anyway, depending think I'll stick to my VX6-7.

The Serpent's recoil seemed to be a tad better than the VX6-7, the recoil goes up and to the left instead of up and to the right. The serpent fires faster and reloading is slower, compared to the VX6-7.

Sarcasm

Also, I effin wish they'd patch in grenades automatically being refilled after you respawn. I don't wanna have to keep on clicking to resupply it especially when you just want to get back to the battle.

How's the recoil and accuracy. With a faster firing rate, I'd guess the recoil is higher than th e VX6-7 which would make medium engagements much harder.

I only got to try out VX6-7 for 30m (just like the new carbine). Feel similar too me but I got more progress done with the new carbine. So to answer very little compared to the 6-7.

mr_nothin

Banned
People really freak out when they see stat changes and such....
Turns out that it was just a description change. I called it!

It wasnt really a worthless upgrade, it meant you could hover for longer periods of time while taking small arms fire from multiple enemies. You'll still be able to do that now, it'll just be riskier.
I'm also thinking that it's just a numbers readjustment rather than actually changing the armor.

Higby said:
Kevmo posted on our forums about this, but I wanted to post here too. The update to composite armor is a correction to it's description, thats it. The old description was wrong, the new one is correct and gives a better description of the effect of the armor, rather than the armor + natural resistance. Functionally the attachment is the same as before. Composite armor is actually getting a bit STRONGER with the next patch to keep it's overall effectiveness the same along with the buff to flak damage - it's essentially a wash when you factor in the flak change, but if you had next week's composite armor today, it would be better.

Composite Armor isn't being nerfed, and it's no more or less useless than it was before. Now the tooltip is just accurate now. Sorry for the confusion.

Mupod

damn I made a dual AA max and it just murders air stuff. Problem is, rocket pods murder you faster. FOR NOW.

jbucvCObm3ju6T.jpg

I wonder if MAX flak armor is getting buffed too. That might be asking too much though since all MAXes take that due to heavy assault rockets and such.

Soi-Fong

I just got my first kill from a pod!!! Killed an NC reaper. It was awesome!!! Lol didn't even have to do any work. He just got in my way. :p

I wonder if MAX flak armor is getting buffed too. That might be asking too much though since all MAXes take that due to heavy assault rockets and such.

This is the only thing I see about the flak buffs, though it appears to be for the Flak itself, not any armor against it.

https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/276910606412546048

"Clarification on upcoming flak buff: it's not equal across all flak types, Skyguard flak is getting buffed most, MAX bursters least."

MrBig

Smedley's State of the Game 12/6/12

Hello everyone,

As you may have heard this weekend we are running a double xp weekend to say thanks for your patience during our launch. Our stability is in good shape now. Client crashes are down 95%. We have a patch coming next week to address a bunch more bugs and make some balance changes Matt Higby mentioned in another post. In addition we will be making big improvements in the infantry render distance issue. We get that it isn't good sometimes so this will be a big improvement. We also have a new anti vehicle weapon coming.

We continue to work on bugs and optimizations. We have something we hope will be a big improvement coming in January. It's significant and needs real QA time before we can put it out. That's only one optimization. The team continues to improve this and won't stop.

In early January we will be putting up our plan for the next 6 months and open that plan up to your comments and change requests. It's not written in stone and you're going to have the opportunity to weigh in and have us change it based on your collective feedback. We are hard at work on a lot of cool stuff like orbital strikes... Vehicle transport.. And other fun things.

One other important issue I wanted to address - cheating. We are all aware of the cheaters who us aimbots and other tools. We are tracking and banning these people. I don't want to pretend there is a magic answer to this. We have a great deal of tools at our disposal and people who fight this every day. I assure you this is a top priority and with each patch you'll see us address more of the things we see and a lot of stuff that you may not. Please continue to report using the /report function. You may not see the drone strike but when the idiot disappears quietly and without fanfare just know our anti hacking team has no mercy and enjoys the job. Please help us fight the good fight and understand that this is a war and its one we won't stop fighting.

Thanks for playing

Smed

Snowdrift

The Crown is easily my favourite point to fight over.

It actually isn't as hard to take as its made out to be if you get a good column of Vanguards to break through the initial line. The problem is, in my experience, often the initial Vanguard push fails because a bunch of operators decided to block the narrow road instead of firing on the move. If the initial Vanguard push doesn't work, you will be there for hours.

Soi-Fong

The Crown is easily my favourite point to fight over.

It actually isn't as hard to take as its made out to be if you get a good column of Vanguards to break through the initial line. The problem is, in my experience, often the initial Vanguard push fails because a bunch of operators decided to block the narrow road instead of firing on the move. If the initial Vanguard push doesn't work, you will be there for hours.

Had some good battles at Jaeger's Crossing and Jaeger's fist. The open areas just for some reason attract big battles lol.

This battle raged for hours, so much fun.

Heh that's the battle that made me take a break from this game. It was awesome, but as I said earlier, that fact that once the main entrance was being zerged, the pop-in and frame drop was just ridiculous. Hopefully this upcoming performance patch fixes this problem a bit.

Any details on this patch? What are they hoping to fix?

Mupod

This is the only thing I see about the flak buffs, though it appears to be for the Flak itself, not any armor against it.

https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/276910606412546048

"Clarification on upcoming flak buff: it's not equal across all flak types, Skyguard flak is getting buffed most, MAX bursters least."

Flak armor is being doubled. For clarification this has nothing to do with flak weapons, I'm referring to the infantry cert that reduces explosive damage - at max rank it'll be 50% after the buff. Which would make MAXes very hard to kill indeed.

But yeah I suppose I should not have expected a huge buff to bursters since they already do their job. You just don't get much for it exp-wise, though.

Mupod

So does it stack properly with boosts etc? I have 40% from premium and 50% from a weekly boost. I can't wait to get 15 certs for capturing a biolab.

Jhriad

People were using mines like c4?

It was particularly effective at the full sized towers. You could just throw two tank mines off the side of the wall on top of a vehicle or in the road and you'd get repeated kills. Loved it. Sucks you can't throw them off walls now.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
This battle raged for hours, so much fun.

Was this on Connery last night? It was awesome to see a group of tanks and dozens of heavy assault guys trading fire over a canyon, but I couldn't find anything to do. Everyone was healed and tanks were repaired, people were just spamming and not hitting anything. It was still awesome.

Noaloha

My MAX's shotguns sporadically stop working. It gets me killed a lot. :(

My Light Assault's jump-jet ability sporadically continuously disappears after respawning. It's *really* dismaying. :(

Fingers crossed for next week's bugfix.

Top Bottom