• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

alphaNoid

Banned
Do I have any chance of making this game a looker with my GTX 460? I can't get a consistent framerate even if I turn literally every graphics option down to Low. Mostly empty areas are fine but as soon as any kind of firefight breaks out, my framerate starts having a seizure.

I had similar issues, and I fixed my frame issue by not turning settings to Low ingame, but instead editing them in the INI file and turning them to 0 meaning off completely. I manage 30-60FPS, only 30ish in huge battles now and the bottleneck now according to the in game FPS counter is my CPU. OC'd Q6600 @ 3.0.

Edit your INI, make sure to make appropriate audio adjustments they save work for the CPU, saving frames. You'll need to turn up sound in game to compensate. Here are my amended changes in my INI... You can find the file UserOptions.INI in the install directory, which by default is C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2 (Windows 8)

[Display]
FullscreenRefresh=0
Maximized=0
FullscreenWidth=1920
FullscreenHeight=1200
WindowedWidth=1024
WindowedHeight=768
RenderQuality=0.852400
Mode=Fullscreen
FullscreenMode=Fullscreen

[Rendering]
GraphicsQuality=1
TextureQuality=1
ShadowQuality=0
RenderDistance=-1.000000
Gamma=0.500000
MaximumFPS=250
UseLod0a=0
VSync=1
OverallQuality=-1
LightingQuality=0
FogShadowsEnable=0
EffectsQuality=0
TerrainQuality=0
FloraQuality=0
ModelQuality=0
ParticleLOD=0
MotionBlur=0
VerticalFOV=70
AO=1

[Sound]
Master=0.500000
Music=0.500000
Game=0.500000
Dialog=0.000000
UI=1.000000
UseFloat32Output=0
ExclusiveMode=0
HitIndicator=1
LowAmmoIndicator=1
VehicleChatter=1
MaxVoices=45

mr_nothin

Banned
Well, I can say something like BF3, really the only other online FPS I play, has a basic, short-term goal of simply winning a match. It's a self-contained bite of fun. This is so open-ended and nebulous its beginning to feel grindy and pointless.

I'm not saying its not fun to join a group and play for a bit, I'm saying it needs more. It needs a long term goal of some sort, instead of each faction basically owning one cont and zergstomping all opposition, except for the Vanu of course ;) I think cont locks and more islands will be a good step towards that.

Well the mission system SHOULD provide that. It'll provide a bunch of objectives, missions, and side-quests that you can complete and get XP for....from micro things like "attack/defend/repair/stabilize/arm this generator" to macro things like "we need air support at this base". All of those will be given out by other players with enough rank to do so.

I do know what you mean though and I experienced that in the beta but after I kept playing, it just went away and it came more about trying to win multiple battles and shifting the frontlines. I am starting to get the feeling that sometimes I'm just killing to get certs so I can get more kills to get more certs so I can kill even more and get even more certs. What I'm looking forward to now is linear continent progression, the mission system, and a real hierarchy of commanders. I still think we need worldwide frontlines rather than each continent having it's own set of self-contained frontlines within them.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the core game even after putting 900 hours into the game but we need more and we need it now.

Myomoto

and after reading the Smoke Grenade Story....

Which gun and how much Certs?

It's the Trac-5 S for TR (I think the Compact S is the equivalent for NC, dunno about VS). The gun itself is 1000 certs/700 SC, I just bought it with some SC I had leftover from the Black Friday 2x sale. The scope is 30 certs and the smoke grenade launcher is 100 certs (it also takes a regular grenade launcher for another 100 certs which is great on light assault).

Edit: Btw, seems like an upcoming 3x SC sale on December 21.:

nzAO2.jpg

demolitio

TRIPLE. I just expected double so now I'm excited. Got my card to redeem to get the NS-11 finally too.

I'm glad they're doing this right before the world ends...what trolls... :p

Soi-Fong

yessss

edit: Now I have to convince my wife to let me open my Christmas present early lol

Fuck yes! I have 1 15 dollar SC right now from Walmart, but might stop by one more time to get a second card. Yes!

Only negative to this is the wait to this day! Ahh!! Will just have to make do with the current guns.

Liberty4all

Banned
Fuck yes! I have 1 15 dollar SC right now from Walmart, but might stop by one more time to get a second card. Yes!

Only negative to this is the wait to this day! Ahh!! Will just have to make do with the current guns.

It's always worth waiting for double or triple days. In August there was a double day ... I was already in the beta and knew I'd be putting serious time into PS2, so I bought four 15 dollar cards and sat on them until launch, plus I had the alpha squad bonus (4000 SC). Altogether it gave me 16000 SC to start with at launch, which was more than enough to open multiple guns, unlock various (vehicle) weapons, and also grab some boosts. Well worth it.

As I believe that we will see monthly content drops come the new year, I'm going to stock up on this coming triple day. Maybe I'll never have to buy another SC card ever again!

I might ... I might even buy the Sunderer horn.

demolitio

I might ... I might even buy the Sunderer horn.

NO. Hold strong on that one just out of principle! I'm sure plenty have bought it already, but give in on this one and you tell them paying that much for anything is acceptable really...lol

I got my Christmas gift early as well for this. I asked for a $15 card from GS that had the free NS-11 rifle with it and then I mentioned a double or triple SC day might be coming and that it'd effectively make the gift worth a lot more than it is and would last me a while. Next thing you know, I'm holding the card in early December just waiting for the day. :p

So to those who aren't aware. Walmart's $15 card has an extra 500 points and GameStop has the NS-11 (I think it's called that, it's a faction neutral goldish rifle) so for those of you looking to stock up, keep that in mind if you're by one of those stores. I might go to Walmart and pick some cards up now since I now know for sure that cards work with the promotion. Might as well really get the most bang for your buck.

Like you, I think it would be a good time to stock up for the future more than anything. They'll do these content drops hoping to keep people spending money getting the latest gear, so it'd be nice to have some extra SC ready for the day when they have something I have to have. I learned from Tribes.

Myomoto

Don't forget they'll still have their weekly bundles and daily deals, both of which are usually ~50% off, so 3x SC is more like 6x SC if you spend it at the right times. So I guess the horn prices of $6.5 is more fair if they do a horn bundle some time.

ElfArmy177

I have a 3570k overclocked to 4.5ghz and a 670FTW... I can't keep a stable 60 in fights, usually drops to 35. Doesnt matter if my graphics are on high or low, same fps. However my buddy has a 2500k stock speed and a 560ti and gets a constant 50 in battles... Its so frustrating.

fps meter keeps saying my CPU is the bottleneck but how?! This optimization patch needs to come fast. Whenever there is an optimization patch though, it never does anything for me.. :(

mr_nothin

Banned
I have a 3570k overclocked to 4.5ghz and a 670FTW... I can't keep a stable 60 in fights, usually drops to 35. Doesnt matter if my graphics are on high or low, same fps. However my buddy has a 2500k stock speed and a 560ti and gets a constant 50 in battles... Its so frustrating.

fps meter keeps saying my CPU is the bottleneck but how?! This optimization patch needs to come fast. Whenever there is an optimization patch though, it never does anything for me.. :(

It depends on how big the battle is. Type "/who" (without the quotes) to see how many teammates are in the same base area as you.

Mupod

2500k@4.5ghz and a fairly heavily overclocked 580 here, I've only ever had my fps drop under 40 once and that battle had like 50 freaking tanks on both sides. I do have the game installed on an SSD too, and I have some fairly old nvidia drivers. I think they were the ones that came out around the same time as Borderlands 2. Not running any ini tweaks, just maxed out settings from the game menu.

Anyways I really hope this 12 days of christmas thing isn't just dumb hats. I need my Saron, dammit.

edit: ohshi didn't see the triple SC thing. I'll drop 30 or 40 on that.

Mupod

Am I the only one that thought "buying horns for vehicles" meant putting actual horns on the grill or something?

No, I thought this for a minute or two at first as well. I knew they had hood ornaments but was not aware of plans to put in horns. Still want one for my Magrider but yeah, not paying $6.50 even with triple SC.

On the subject of the NS-11 rifle...as a Vanu I hate that damn thing. I always spin around looking for the NC when an ally starts firing it.

Haha, I feel like such a dick for this tactic. On my engineer I use the carbine that takes all attachments, which I've fitted with the underslung smoke grenade launcher as well as the HS/NV scope and a silencer (technically also the soft-point ammo, but that's not essential).

This let's me throw out a smoke cover whenever I enter or exit any rooms (great when getting spawn camped or whenever you enter a room with a capture point), and with the HS/NV scope I can see anybody in the smoke or on the outside of the smoke, letting me basically walk up right next to people and shoot them in the head. The real dick part of this is that as an engineer I can endlessly resupply myself with smoke grenades, so I can basically just creep slowly through a base in the cover of smoke while staying silent and pop people.

The bonus is that most people freak the fuck out whenever they see smoke grenades in the game, since nobody really uses them.

Now I just need to figure out which camo looks the most grey so I can blend in even more with my smoke, muahaha!
Heheh you just figured out the sop of AT when we take bases, <3 smoke nothing beats a squad dropping enough smoke to cover an entire floor of a tower or the entire vehicle bay, really the only reason to use the solstice sf or equinox.

So hyped about the upcoming 3x sale. Gonna have to swing by Walmart and buy a couple of extra cards in preparation

Btw, here's a link to the rest of the deals for this holiday

http://imgur.com/a/QF8yQ

sixghost

Heheh you just figured out the sop of AT when we take bases, <3 smoke nothing beats a squad dropping enough smoke to cover an entire floor of a tower or the entire vehicle bay, really the only reason to use the solstice sf or equinox.

So hyped about the upcoming 3x sale. Gonna have to swing by Walmart and buy a couple of extra cards in preparation

Do the Walmart cards still give you an extra 500 sc?

I am guilty of never playing the Planetside games or even looking into them but the shots of this in the HR PC thread is just mindblowing. Is it easy enough to just jump in? Also what should I expect gameplay wise? What would you compare it to?

Jhriad

Do the Walmart cards still give you an extra 500 sc?

Yes. I went and picked up two cards a few days ago at Walmart and they look exactly like the one on the Walmart website. If you have trouble finding them they were above the PC games in that section rather than on one of the big separate gift card/point card displays. If you're able to buy them there's no reason to buy the Gamestop card over the Walmart card when you'll end up with enough points to buy the NS-11a plus extra points.

Mupod

I am guilty of never playing the Planetside games or even looking into them but the shots of this in the HR PC thread is just mindblowing. Is it easy enough to just jump in? Also what should I expect gameplay wise? What would you compare it to?

Your first impression of the game will most likely be of a terrifying, confusing clusterfuck of players assaulting or defending a large base. Your only hints to what to do will be a bunch of tiny icons on a minimap that sometimes flash and sometimes change, with no indication whether that is good or bad.

It'll still be fun, though.

Sony has some tutorial videos up that might help, although they leave out a lot of really basic stuff. I'm sure someone has written up a better starter guide but without getting too long-winded, here's my suggestions:

1. Go to the map screen and see which bases are being heavily fought over - they'll be listed under 'instant action'. Bio labs, tech plants, and amp stations are all the big ones and give nice exp bonuses when captured. You capture faster when the area is surrounded by bases which your team owns, indicated by color. You capture bases by standing on the capture point for a while, simple stuff but some bases have multiple points. The 2/2 or 6/6 at the top denotes the number of people on the point and max number of people that can affect point capture.

To get to the base, if there is a 'DEPLOY' icon on the hexagon you can click that and drop pod in like an ODST. You can control the pod, but it has a cooldown so you can only do it once every like 10-15 minutes or something. Alternatively you can 'redeploy' which will let you choose a spawn point near where you were after a short waiting period. Finally you can just run out of the warpgate, spawn a vehicle and drive to your destination - right click on the map and place a waypoint so you can see where you want to go. I suggest following roads unless you wanna get stuck...T is third person view which might help.

Oh also you could spawn an aircraft, but you will likely crash horribly the first time. The flying controls take getting used to...spacebar is your friend.

2. When you get to one of those bases, the minimap will show various objectives. Press H to expand it - the shield icons with pictures of tanks and lines on them denote generators that power shields you need to bring down. The icon on the generator will correspond to the shield in question, if you look at the shield itself it'll have one on there. If you're attacking you want to bring down these generators by holding E on them and making sure they blow up...don't stand next to em when they do. If you're defending, you want to either repair them as an engineer or stop people from doing that.

3. Resources are a personal pool of resources that let you buy things like grenades/regen kits/max suits (infantry resources), aircraft, and vehicles. You get some deposited on your character every few minutes based on the territory your team holds. You spawn vehicles at vehicle terminals, aircraft at terminals with a plane icon, etc. Certain vehicles are only available if you own tech plants (main battle tanks) and some terminals can only spawn limited types of vehicle/aircraft.

there's lots more to know but these are the things that would have been most helpful to me when starting out.

Flunkie

Banned
When's the triple SC start?!

Edit: I for some reason couldn't see the image on my mobile device, but I see it now. Looked like an idiot asking before.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Really? I didn't know that. I'll have to invest in those if true. 4 of those cards would go a long way.

Yes, really. I have done it a couple of times. the bonus 500 from Walmart also doubles/triples.

yea the game looks next gen IMO, the graphics engine is extremely impressive

Your first impression of the game will most likely be of a terrifying, confusing clusterfuck of players assaulting or defending a large base. Your only hints to what to do will be a bunch of tiny icons on a minimap that sometimes flash and sometimes change, with no indication whether that is good or bad.

It'll still be fun, though.

Sony has some tutorial videos up that might help, although they leave out a lot of really basic stuff. I'm sure someone has written up a better starter guide but without getting too long-winded, here's my suggestions:

1. Go to the map screen and see which bases are being heavily fought over - they'll be listed under 'instant action'. Bio labs, tech plants, and amp stations are all the big ones and give nice exp bonuses when captured. You capture faster when the area is surrounded by bases which your team owns, indicated by color. You capture bases by standing on the capture point for a while, simple stuff but some bases have multiple points. The 2/2 or 6/6 at the top denotes the number of people on the point and max number of people that can affect point capture.

To get to the base, if there is a 'DEPLOY' icon on the hexagon you can click that and drop pod in like an ODST. You can control the pod, but it has a cooldown so you can only do it once every like 10-15 minutes or something. Alternatively you can 'redeploy' which will let you choose a spawn point near where you were after a short waiting period. Finally you can just run out of the warpgate, spawn a vehicle and drive to your destination - right click on the map and place a waypoint so you can see where you want to go. I suggest following roads unless you wanna get stuck...T is third person view which might help.

Oh also you could spawn an aircraft, but you will likely crash horribly the first time. The flying controls take getting used to...spacebar is your friend.

2. When you get to one of those bases, the minimap will show various objectives. Press H to expand it - the shield icons with pictures of tanks and lines on them denote generators that power shields you need to bring down. The icon on the generator will correspond to the shield in question, if you look at the shield itself it'll have one on there. If you're attacking you want to bring down these generators by holding E on them and making sure they blow up...don't stand next to em when they do. If you're defending, you want to either repair them as an engineer or stop people from doing that.

3. Resources are a personal pool of resources that let you buy things like grenades/regen kits/max suits (infantry resources), aircraft, and vehicles. You get some deposited on your character every few minutes based on the territory your team holds. You spawn vehicles at vehicle terminals, aircraft at terminals with a plane icon, etc. Certain vehicles are only available if you own tech plants (main battle tanks) and some terminals can only spawn limited types of vehicle/aircraft.

there's lots more to know but these are the things that would have been most helpful to me when starting out.

Thank you so much for the effort you put into this. I was debating the game because of how intense it was but this gave me the confidence to go ahead and jump in.

Myomoto

Thank you so much for the effort you put into this. I was debating the game because of how intense it was but this gave me the confidence to go ahead and jump in.

Just be prepared for the absolute worst first time player introduction in the history of video games.

You'll be presented with a ~20 sec video showing you some pictures of stuff in the game then you'll be be drop-podded right into the middle of the biggest fight your faction is currently in, usually directly behind enemy lines or into the middle of the enemy spawn point.

Liberty4all

Banned
The 1500 SC Walmart cards will give 4000 SC during double SC and 6000 SC during triple SC.

Does anyone know if those station cards with the bonus are carried at Walmart Canada?

Also anecdotal evidence that the game is doing well, but I went to the flagship Eb games store in Toronto a few days ago and they were out of stock of SC cards. I've never seen that happen before.

Just be prepared for the absolute worst first time player introduction in the history of video games.

You'll be presented with a ~20 sec video showing you some pictures of stuff in the game then you'll be be drop-podded right into the middle of the biggest fight your faction is currently in, usually directly behind enemy lines or into the middle of the enemy spawn point.

Sounds like MAG on crack.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
oh, hey BruceLeeRoy. Think we grouped some on MAG. Yeah, MAG on extreme steroids. MUCH larger maps (though maybe the buildings aren't as "deep" as some of MAG's buildings.) Vehicles are much MUCH more integrated into the game.

J-Rzez

Sounds like MAG on crack.

Honestly, it eerily feels like MAG at that. Though the factions "balancing" was a little tighter in MAG than PS2 right now. But if you enjoyed MAG, you will adore this especially. I welcome all former MAG players to this game at that.

Done. 4 Walmart SC cards. :)

Liberty4all

Banned
I adored MAG. I adore PS2 even moreso.

The thing I like about ps2 is the same thing a lot of people hate ... The open endness of the game. Making your own objectives, starting your own little war by going to a deader frontline and watching it actively grow to engulf the entire continent in an apocalypse scenerio.

So many times my platoon has started a new offensive ... Situations are so dynamic in planetside. We've had times where we were all about to die/lose our base, but suddenly a friendly outfit (also doing their own thing) rolls in to turn the tide ... You never know where the next "huge" battle is going to take place unless you actively are seeking them out.

On another note I thought we decided regn shields are superior to nano weave? The debate is raging: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/nano-weave-armor-is-bad-for-this-game.57892/

Liberty4all

Banned
By the way guys, I'm seeing the hobbit tonight so I won't be on until late night. In general Im on between 11 pm est - 4, 5 in the morning. That may change once I find work again lol, but for now I'm in video game heaven.

MrBig

(though maybe the buildings aren't as "deep" as some of MAG's buildings.)

This is something that really needs to be expanded upon. All of the structures are so one dimensional (like the structures used in Battlefield games), simple boxes that are dropped everywhere. They're used quite effectively and they do work well for the most part, but they would benefit immensely by making use of more abstract/interesting architecture designed around creating certain types of encounters, just as each of the structures in a Halo map for example are interesting and more vertical in nature.

Some of the terrain designs on Amerish are really nice and support this type of thought, but then they're limited by using the same toolbox of buildings that are used everywhere else. For anyone that's played Halo 2, an example would be Zanzibar, which is a really nice assault the beach sort of thing where you start at a low ground as an attacker, go up a hill with a moderately defensible wall that can be taken over and used by the attackers, a cool structure in the middle to influence the flow of engagements, and then a structure at the crest of the hill that has a bunch of different entrances/exits with a big center room and an overhanging second story that surrounds the bottom loft, where the CP would be.

Is there a way to instantly join my outfit's squad? I see some of them online, but I can't find the squad they are in.

Also about this, they're working on a feature to auto invite outfit members to outfit squads/platoons when they come online. The slash commands were added in the last patch, along with a bunch of other new squad functions, but aren't functional yet.

Top Bottom