• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Sweet, patch tomorrow :)

also, propaganda vids are out for each faction:

Vanu (barneys)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkTnvST9Teg&feature=youtu.be

TR (Elmos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHN9CdBqSYM&feature=youtu.be

NC (Smurfs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErA4jNfVSIM&feature=youtu.be

edit: when did smurfs get flamethrowers?

I can't wait to taste the salty tears of reaver and mosquito pilots. The AA max was already good, I anticipate the nerf to aircraft and buff to AA will make dual bursters xp machines. GOON will be hit really hard by this ... NC love their reavers.

Acorrding to Smedly's twitter, bursters are suppose to only get a minor upgrade while skyguards are getting a bigger buff

spk

If you can't be bothered to Google it yourself I don't see why anyone else should have to baby feed you the information.

Now why would I ask if future additions and changes were so easily found? You mean shit like this?

"We are hard at work on a lot of cool stuff like orbital strikes... Vehicle transport.. And other fun things."

Ease up on the condescension maybe. Seems like the only thing people are going off of is that blog post from August, and like he said many of those are just "ideas". Concrete info on what they're actually planning to change and implement would be nice. Obviously we'll have to wait for that.

I'll consider the talk about naval combat and NPC AI once the game becomes more playable re: client performance and pop-in in managing server load

Things I remember hearing about are: User Generated content. Now, that might just be skins and paint jobs, but it also sounded like potential for Buildings.

Also heard about a continent based on an Urban Center. Thinking of a continent of a spread out, massive city of Skyscrapers.

Also, those large airships would be nice.

Yeah there was talk of user generated content and much customization but right now weapons share skins and customization is limited to simple camos. I wonder how likely it is for those things to be added when they're running into memory usage problems with the client already.

Liberty4all

Banned
Sweet, patch tomorrow :)

also, propaganda vids are out for each faction:

Vanu (barneys)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkTnvST9Teg&feature=youtu.be

TR (Elmos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHN9CdBqSYM&feature=youtu.be

NC (Smurfs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErA4jNfVSIM&feature=youtu.be

edit: when did smurfs get flamethrowers?

Acorrding to Smedly's twitter, bursters are suppose to only get a minor upgrade while skyguards are getting a bigger buff

It's not just the (minor) buff but I believe aircraft armour is being nerfed along with rocket pods. Personally I liked the balance as is but I expected rocket pods at least to get a nerf. Excited to see how the skyguard works out too as I regretted that cert.

Re: flamethrowers, don't all factions have that (certable max weapon?). I used dual flamethrowers at bio labs in the beta and it obliterated infantry at close range.

mr_nothin

Banned
Yeah that looked really cool, can't wait to see what direction they want to go with those things

patch tomorrow
Yay, at least it's not at night or 3am the following day. w0000tt!! I have something to look forward to in the omrn!!J@$L:K!J$LKJ!4

These updates are always like Christmas, I swear

mr_nothin

Banned
If you can't be bothered to Google it yourself I don't see why anyone else should have to baby feed you the information.

Smed has a giant hard-on for EVE but one of the reasons EVE won't ever really get "big" is the ton of absolutely boring, time wasting shit you have to do just to get to anything resembling "fun." That's coming from a 0.0 SEC EVE player of several years. Unless the mining is entirely NPC driven like what I vaguely remember of the system in Pirates of the Burning Sea or even the simple resource gathering peons in RTS games it won't work in PS2. I damned well don't want to stare at rocks for hours while I mine away. If they can make it more remote operated and make the production side the focus where the primary player involvement is then we might have something that's workable.

It won't. It becomes less likely every minute the game doesn't have those systems in place. Months or years from now when the playerbase has established expectations of what the Planetside experience is like they aren't going to want to stare at rocks for hours or haul shit around.
They already have mining areas all around the map and Amerish has tons of area with Auraxium hanging around. They've already set up some of the areas for mining.
EDIT:
Whoops, you meant the players mining. Well there are dedicated repair ppl in the game now, there are even dedicated GAL pilots. I think both would be super boring but ppl find enjoyment in those. I dont see why they couldnt allow ppl to mine but automated is fine.

Things I remember hearing about are: User Generated content. Now, that might just be skins and paint jobs, but it also sounded like potential for Buildings.

Also heard about a continent based on an Urban Center. Thinking of a continent of a spread out, massive city of Skyscrapers.

Also, those large airships would be nice.

They're going to allow weapons too but players wont be able to determine the stats.

It's not just the (minor) buff but I believe aircraft armour is being nerfed along with rocket pods. Personally I liked the balance as is but I expected rocket pods at least to get a nerf. Excited to see how the skyguard works out too as I regretted that cert.

Re: flamethrowers, don't all factions have that (certable max weapon?). I used dual flamethrowers at bio labs in the beta and it obliterated infantry at close range.

Actually, the change to Aircraft armor was just a fix to an incorrect tooltip. I haven't played much NC so I wouldn't know but Ive never run into a NC max with flamethrowers before

mr_nothin

Banned
Actually, the change to Aircraft armor was just a fix to an incorrect tooltip. I haven't played much NC so I wouldn't know but Ive never run into a NC max with flamethrowers before

Yea, the composite armor is actually getting a slight buff so it's role becomes more important and so aircraft wont be completely useless. No composite armor means quick death from AA

MrBig

I wonder how likely it is for those things to be added when they're running into memory usage problems with the client already.

They really need to do a 64bit DX11 client. I wouldn't be surprised if the 64bit client is the huge change they were referring to that would require people to re-download the client in January

mrgone

Oh man, playing Vanu on Connery is massively frustrating right now. I hope they start gating the continents or something when the populations are totally fucked like this

spk

Oh man, playing Vanu on Connery is massively frustrating right now. I hope they start gating the continents or something when the populations are totally fucked like this

It's getting real tiresome hearing platoon leaders telling everyone to shift continents to where they have closer to majority population

It would be amazing if an enemy faction could attack a particular faction's wrap-gate. The battle there would be epic and stakes would be high (faction getting kicked out of the continent) and with the introduction of ocean warfare the defeated faction could launch a seaborne attack to take back their old wrap-gate :O

MrBig

Some thoughts on player owned property that crossed my mind after reading smed's blog post again: the potential for an aristocracy to form is high. Land will be limited because the game will still have to be focused enough to provide compelling fights if they create big open continents for outfits to romp around on, so what happens if an outfit like the Devil Dogs, or The Enclave, or Azure Twilight build up a huge wealth of property and all the smaller outfits are left with scraps?

I'm not sure what method they're going to be using for implementing player territory, but considering that it will have to mesh in a meaningful way with the rest of the continents, perhaps it would be better to have a bunch of smaller islands that can be expand up to a certain size, with only 2 or 3 outfits of a single faction being able to set up shop on them, and outfits only being able to hold a certain amount of land on no more than one island. This would have to be after oceanic interconnections are implemented, of course, because having a them in the warpgate system would create hiccups along the primary intercontinental conquest; they'd have to operate more as attack-able sanctuaries than just normal continents that happen to have player owned property on them

bit of a ramble but, yeah, my thoughts

Mupod

I can't wait to taste the salty tears of reaver and mosquito pilots. The AA max was already good, I anticipate the nerf to aircraft and buff to AA will make dual bursters xp machines. GOON will be hit really hard by this ... NC love their reavers.

I don't think they will be 'xp machines'. As you say they are quite effective right now especially since MAXes enjoy the infantry draw distance and are basically invisible until you're right on top of them. I grabbed the left arm Burster when it was on sale and it just tears aircraft up. But even in one it's rare that you'll get a kill - if you're solo they will just turn tail and run before they die, then go heal. If you're with other AA MAXes the aircraft will drop like flies but 90% of the kills will just be assists. They really need to do something about that, maybe give XP for flak damage.

Anyways on this subject I've been flying around in a photon pod Scythe for the last few days and it really is ridiculous how much havoc I can bring down. I stopped entire enemy offensives at the Crown with dozens of kills. Divebomb a Sunderer (surrounded by infantry of course) while firing rockets, immelmann while reloading, do it again then either repeat or heal/rearm. If I took AA fire I just backed off, flares were enough to keep enemy aircraft away from me and they got ripped up if they tried to pursue me back to base. Rocket pods are hilariously effective against other aircraft too, if you get the drop on them or they are slow like a liberator/galaxy.

This is just in a base defense scenario where I have a safe place to rearm...it's less effective when attacking, especially since AA turrets come into play. So I think it's a good move to buff infantry AA and the Skyguard to protect troops assaulting a base. We'll see soon enough.

mr_nothin

Banned
Cant believe ppl are pissed off that shield gens got added to the outside of Tech Plants. Lol, so much whining. I'm glad they actually implemented 1 of the suggestions I had for tech plants.

Cant believe ppl are pissed off that shield gens got added to the outside of Tech Plants. Lol, so much whining. I'm glad they actually implemented 1 of the suggestions I had for tech plants.

Yea sometimes the whining is just unbearable, I'm a fan of most changes, though I haven't gotten a chance to try them out yet

I did notice that no changes to flak armor were implemented yet :/

Liberty4all

Banned
Patch notes:

General:

•Horns are now available for the Sunderer and Flash! Check the Depot under Vehicle Gear.
•New weaponry is currently being issued to all three empires. If you are looking for a new light machine gun or assault rifle, head to the Depot and check them out.
•A number of changes have been made to Vehicle and Aircraft weaponry. Please see the Vehicle notes below.
•Fixed a few crash bugs and provided some optimizations to improve gameplay.
•Players may now make multiple characters on the same server.
Notable Bugfixes:

•The NS-11 Platinum should now properly unlock medals.
•The Facebook Promotional Weapons should now properly unlock medals.
•Players should no longer be able to spot enemies without a line of sight.
•The Gauss Compact S will now provide players the ability to aim down sights and strafe more accurately.
•Destroying enemy terminals will no longer provide a Kill stat.
•The Light Assault Jumpjet will no longer break if you run into terrain while in flight.
•When holding down push to talk it should no longer become "stuck" when released.
•The NS-11 will now have a sound indicating it is being reloaded.
•Spawning a vehicle in the warpgate will no longer cause players to fall through the world.
•The TX2 Emperor should now provide the correct damage level to targets.

Vehicles:

•The tail gun on the Liberator is now located on the back of the tail wing and not underneath it. This provides a greater coverage for all tail gun variants.
•Aircraft and Phalanx Turret resistance to the following weapons has been reduced:◦M40 Fury
◦C75 Viper
◦L105 Zephyr
◦G30 Vulcan
◦M60 Bulldog

•Personal Defense Weapons (on light aircraft only)
•Sunderer resistance to heavy machine guns has been increased.
•All Flak damage has been increased by 5%.
•The Composite Armor tooltip has been adjusted to be more accurate.

Infantry Weaponry:

New Weapons:

The NS Decimator rocket launcher is now available to all empires.

Terran Republic:
The TAR will provide the best hip fire of this empires assault rifles.
The T32 Bull will provide an adaptable solution to long or short range combat but has a slow reload.

New Conglomerate:
The Carnage BR is now available. This medium-fast fire rate assault rifle has good hip fire and range limiting recoil.
The Anchor light machine gunprovided good mobility and a 45 round magazine.

Vanu Sovereignty:
The Corvus assault rifle has a slow rate of fire but compensates with deadly accuracy.
The Ursa light machine gun will provide a slightly lower rate of fire but extreme accurate fire.

General Weaponry:

•Tank mines can now once again be deployed by throwing them reverting the change made last week.
•Extended ammunition attachments will no longer provide more ammunition capability than intended. They all will now provide 4 more rounds.
•A small increase in movement accuracy with iron sights was made on on slower assault rifles, carbines, and light machine guns.
•A small decrease in movement accuracy was made with the 40 round assault rifles and carbines.
•The NC Gauss and Gauss S now have increased projectile speed.
•The Cycler TRV now has reduced hip fire accuracy.
•The Razor GD-23 now has reduced recoil for the first shot.
•The TR CARV and CARV S now have increased equip time.
•The LA80 projectile speed has been reduced to put it in line with the other empire sniper rifles.

Vehicle Weaponry:

Aircraft:

M20 Drake: Previously the M20 Basilisk, this weapon has increased top end damage. It also has a longer range before damage fall off occurs.

M60-A Bulldog: Previously the M60 Bulldog, this aircraft weapon has had the following changes:
•Magazine size has been reduced from 10 to 6.
•Magazine size certifications now 1 round per rank increase.
•Projectile speed has been increased
•Direct hit damage has been increased
•Splash damage will no longer damage heavy armor.
•The M60-A has a faster projectile than its ground based variant the M-60G.
A30 Walker: This is now the air variant of the Walker weapon system.
•The reticule and first person tracer have been changed to make them easier to see.
•Projectile speed is slower but drop has been reduced.
•Damage has been increased overall.

Light Aircraft Rocketpods:
•Blast radius in which maximum damage occurs has been reduced. This does not change the size of the blast radius.
•Damage against Sunderers and Aircraft have been reduced.
•Significantly reduced damage against Phalanx turrets.

Liberator AP30 Shredder:
•Damage has been increased at close ranges.
•Magazine size has been increased to 50.
Reaver Air Hammer:
•The projectile spread has been tightened up.
•Damage per projectile has been increased.
•Damage fall off will occur at a further distance.

Ground Weaponry:

The Lightning Skyguard Turret has increased projectile speed and it's reticule has been adjusted to use the Terran Republic Burster MAX reticule.

C75 Viper:
•Direct hit damage increased
•Increased maximum blast radius damage
M40 Fury:
•Reduced damage against heavy armor.
•Upped direct hit damage and blast damage.
Anti-Personnel Phalanx Turret:
•Cone of Fire tightened up a bit
•Slight adjustments to heat. Will cool off a bit faster and take a little bit longer to overheat.
•Pushed out range where projectiles start to lose damage significantly.

World:

•The main shields at Tech Plants are now operated by two generators in the outlying buildings. These shields now have icons that display the status of the generators.
•Frosbite Harbor Spawn Room now has a pain field.
•The grav pads at the Dahaka Amp Station western forward spawn are now functional.
•Players are no longer able to spawn at Sungrey Amp Station when the SCU has been destroyed.
•Enemy projectiles will no longer go through the Biolab Gate Shields.
•Players still in a vehicle once the pilot has logged off will no longer disconnect.
•The Phalanx Turret has increased projectile speed and it's reticule has been adjusted to use the MAX burster reticule.
UI:

•The Regen benefit of a Biolab will now display on the Tab scoreboard.
•All Heavy Assault ability items are now using unique icons.
•Platoons should now longer state they are “full” when all squads have squad leaders and there is still room for more members.
•SAS-R and Impetus optics will now display a description when hovering over with a mouse.
•The TS4 Haymaker and FA1 Barrage now have a tooltip when mousing over the progress bar.
•Moving a player to another squad will no longer boot them from a Squad/Platoon locked vehicle.
•Players removed from a Squad or Platoon channel will no longer be able to use that channel.
•Unoccupied Phalanx Turrets should now display “Press [E] to Enter” messaging.

Visual:

•The NS-11 Platinum and Ns-11A rifles are no longer the same color.
•The Sunderer Smoke Screen will no longer hide decals.
•Lightning Hood Ornaments will no longer be placed on top of decals.
•New Conglomerate African Forest Weapon Camo no longer displays Vanu Sovereignty coloring.
•A MAX unit will no longer appear to float while descending on a Grav Pad.
•Purchased Weapon Camo will no longer be cleared when a weapon trial ends.
•The Engineering Repair tool is now black.
•Main Battle Tank and Lightning armor should no longer cover decals.
•The Lasher magazine will now reload and no longer “floats” if the player is sprinting.
•The NC Gauss Compact S Underbarrel weapons will now show a reloading animation correctly.
•A player will no longer siplay headless and frozen in a riding pose when killed on a Quad

J-Rzez

This is a rather large patch for just the notes I saw listed. Watching the patcher now it's updating a lot of assets, hopefully optimizing the engine a bit.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
•The NC Gauss and Gauss S now have increased projectile speed.

I hope this is as huge as it sounds.

I play NC on Connery, and I feel the same way sometimes. Though last night, NC was basically running the entirety of Amerish. We had some great pushes.

Jhriad

so what happens if an outfit like the Devil Dogs, or The Enclave, or Azure Twilight build up a huge wealth of property and all the smaller outfits are left with scraps?

If I had to guess we could look at EVE for some of the answers here. Large outfits/alliances will hold larger swaths of prime territory. The small outfits will fight over the crappier scraps. As time goes on the larger outfits continue to grow stronger until anyone not in those outfits/alliances are essentially 2nd class citizens with a more limited experience.

Now I'm hoping they don't create a system that emulates the power hierarchy of EVE but until we see some more information on their exact plans I'll remain doubtful.

I think they could have just moved the gen to the opposite side of the vehicle bay, on top of the bottom floor stairwell, and made it slightly easier to actually take Tech plants. Now we'll probably see a hard swing making them slightly easier than Amp Stations to take. Don't really mind but it does swing things even further toward the offensive rather than defensive side of things.

That's why I need to find an outfit in the next few months

I hear there's a pretty cool GAF TR outfit on Connery...

•The Facebook Promotional Weapons should now properly unlock medals.

Wait.. what facebook promo weapons? Did I miss free weapons?!?

Moaradin

I never got the NC gun complaints. They did a shit ton of dmg and were insanely accurate. I thought that was the trade off for having higher recoil and fire rate.

MrBig

Tech Plant shield gens working like amp station shields will be good but the whole facility still needs a redesigns, as it's basically just a PS1 hallway/basement meatgrinder.

Jhriad

•Tank mines can now once again be deployed by throwing them reverting the change made last week.

Can't say how happy this makes me. Being able to use Tank Mines as self exploding C4 by throwing them off walls/towers was so useful.

J-Rzez

I never got the NC gun complaints. They did a shit ton of dmg and were insanely accurate. I thought that was the trade off for having higher recoil and fire rate.

Low RoF + crazy bloom + getting hit = dead. Opposed to the others where they spray a lot more bullets faster, with less bloom, means they kill better. I didn't believe it until I tried it myself and understand the complaints. Mind you this isn't all the weapons, but more so the LMG and Carbines. The starting Gauss for the HA is garbage, even when updated it wouldn't compare in killing ability in 1v1 to the others. And I used to like it until I tried the others.

Mupod

•Horns are now available for the Sunderer and Flash! Check the Depot under Vehicle Gear.

that's great, but what I really need is one for the Magrider. That, and a rearview mirror or a third person camera that isn't 90% obscured by my fatass vehicle. The thing is like a lawnmower for teammates. Oddly enough I have a lot of trouble roadkilling enemies and it seems to do nothing most of the time. I did magboost into an NC MAX the other day though, that was fun.

Moaradin

Low RoF + crazy bloom + getting hit = dead. Opposed to the others where they spray a lot more bullets faster, with less bloom, means they kill better. I didn't believe it until I tried it myself and understand the complaints. Mind you this isn't all the weapons, but more so the LMG and Carbines. The starting Gauss for the HA is garbage, even when updated it wouldn't compare in killing ability in 1v1 to the others. And I used to like it until I tried the others.

I play Heavy Assault most of the time and when I played NC, I definitely didn't feel that way. In fact, I prefer the NC LMG over the TR one any day of the week. I was averaging a 3.5-4.0 kd/r with that bad boy.

sixghost

I play Heavy Assault most of the time and when I played NC, I definitely didn't feel that way. In fact, I prefer the NC LMG over the TR one any day of the week. I was averaging a 3.5-4.0 kd/r with that bad boy.

The first rule of faction based multiplayer games: Your faction is always the weakest/hardest to play.

MrBig

Laughable that they're charging money for horns.

Default horn should be free as standard, then have different noises for money.

Yes a default for free and then something like 100 SC for alts. 650 is ridiculous.

People are saying there is now a tick box to auto supply grenades, health kits etc. Found under the same button where you would normally resupply them. Other stuff not in the patch notes has been posted here

There really needs to be a separate test server they bring online when new updates are being rolled out to QA new updates for a ~week so shit like this doesn't show up in the primary servers, and to see that things that people can purchase, like horns, actually work.

650 for a horn?

ibpR47LkRHvxxX.gif

demolitio

They responded to me on FB about the horn and said
Thank you for your feedback! Everyone having a horn might become a bit annoying, don't you think? ^TheGlove
8 minutes ago · Like

I'm saying it'd be extremely useful for Sunderers in my response post since it could be used to tell people you're on the move again so get in or miss the train or to get idiots out of the way when you're rushing a base and they keep blocking roads...lol

Top Bottom