• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Myomoto

So having just played around a bit with the Vanu guns, what is exactly the downside to their weapons? They have the best red-dot and holographic sights because it's literally just a reticle floating in open space, there's very little recoil on their guns, and barely any horizontal recoil, little to no bullet drop, and their rate of fire doesn't seem gimped in any way either.

So what exactly is the downside to the VS weaponry? Does their damage drop off really fast at range? I was racking up kills a lot easier than I usually do as TR, but that was largely in close and medium range encounters.

So having just played around a bit with the Vanu guns, what is exactly the downside to their weapons? They have the best red-dot and holographic sights because it's literally just a reticle floating in open space, there's very little recoil on their guns, and barely any horizontal recoil, little to no bullet drop, and their rate of fire doesn't seem gimped in any way either.

So what exactly is the downside to the VS weaponry? Does their damage drop off really fast at range? I was racking up kills a lot easier than I usually do as TR, but that was largely in close and medium range encounters.

We get bullet damage reduction instead of bullet drop, so yea at range it'll take alot more shots to take someone down

Liberty4all

Banned
Just played a quick bit on Mattherson-- took part in a nice base assault (can't remember which, I'm not good with the names of places yet). I like to play infiltrator but lately I've been enjoying engineer. Got the bronze medal for turret kills which was fun-- found a good protected spot overlooking two small ridges outside the base and was able to make some hay.

Can't ever seem to find any GAF'ers on when I'm on to get an outfit invite. If anyone's on and they happen to see me ("ReubenKincaide"), drop me an invite if you're able.

add me as a friend - bamelin

that way I'll be notified when you log on and I can add you to the outfit

Can't even say how many accidental friend requests I have sent while offering something with the radial wheel.

Does anyone have any advice for a new sundy driver, best places to set up around a base, etc?

(NC all the way!)

demolitio

My luck. I drive to three different Walmarts looking for the PS2 cards and find nothing after scouring each one of them thoroughly and finding 50 different places that they have cards tucked away in. I've never seen so many League of Legends cards in so many different places.

Now my back is killing me for nothing and I blame Walmart. The TR has officially listed Walmart as an enemy of the empire effective immediately.

Guys, I'm making my account right now... what faction should I join?

Don't join TR, they have enough people as it is lol.

My luck. I drive to three different Walmarts looking for the PS2 cards and find nothing after scouring each one of them thoroughly and finding 50 different places that they have cards tucked away in. I've never seen so many League of Legends cards in so many different places.

Now my back is killing me for nothing and I blame Walmart. The TR has officially listed Walmart as an enemy of the empire effective immediately.

Sounds like my story today though I kind of gave up after the 2nd walmart.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Ran into a group camping the hill above Xeno Tech Labs in Indar (on Mattherson). They had 3+ Max, engineers, medics and were spamming at all Air in every direction. Seemed kind of OP because infantry can't get up on top of that hill easily (only light infantry which takes forever), nor see them from below unless they get very near the edge, and they kept deploying to that spot over and over.

I kind of had fun sniping at them for a bit but it seemed unfair that they could shoot down many air vehicles and only worry about getting attacked from the air.

I joined Vanu Sovereignty.

Spawned in. No clue what was going on. Died several times.

Logged out.

Yeah this game has a big problem with introducing new players. If your a fan of TotalBiscuit I suggest you try out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx_xeRFlNTA

Thats how I learned how the hell to play the game. Otherwise you can watch the main planetside 2 tutorial videos. Not really sure which ones are better cause I never watched the official ones. Unfortunately they don't have real ingame tutorials :(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ran into a group camping the hill above Xeno Tech Labs in Indar (on Mattherson). They had 3+ Max, engineers, medics and were spamming at all Air in every direction. Seemed kind of OP because infantry can't get up on top of that hill easily (only light infantry which takes forever), nor see them from below unless they get very near the edge, and they kept deploying to that spot over and over.

I kind of had fun sniping at them for a bit but it seemed unfair that they could shoot down many air vehicles and only worry about getting attacked from the air.

Could be possible that it was a squad that was airdropped from a Galaxy.

Hey, gotta keep Air out of the area somehow! Without AA, Infatry can't get anything done because of overpowered air! Checks and Balances!!!

Shai-Tan

Banned
Could be possible that it was a squad that was airdropped from a Galaxy.

Hey, gotta keep Air out of the area somehow! Without AA, Infatry can't get anything done because of overpowered air! Checks and Balances!!!

yeah, they were dropped there. It was just that they were coming back with a spawn beacon.

Damn the form over function sale is stupid :( shoulda gotten the armor yesterday

For those who are interested, AT is trying something new tonight. We've testing out a new multi stream tool to coordinate our ops better. We're having all of our Squad leaders and Platoon leaders stream onto one channel. If you're interested in seeing the game from an extremely coordinated viewpoint come check us out tonight between 7pm-10pm EST

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/14v5qs/this_sunday_7pm_est_azure_twilight_is_launching/

Yeah this game has a big problem with introducing new players. If your a fan of TotalBiscuit I suggest you try out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx_xeRFlNTA

Thats how I learned how the hell to play the game. Otherwise you can watch the main planetside 2 tutorial videos. Not really sure which ones are better cause I never watched the official ones. Unfortunately they don't have real ingame tutorials :(

That's how I feel as well. I've put a bit more time into things now, and it's started to make sense though. It still feels like I can't kill anyone though.

MrBig

I do! I feel like I have either no accuracy or stopping power compared to enemies. I'm just using the default weapons for the load outs though. And these could just be the ramblings of a newb.

The default weapons on all factions are the best all-around weapons in the game for the most part (like how everything in BF3 was balanced around the M16(?)), it's not a problem with your arsenal.

I do! I feel like I have either no accuracy or stopping power compared to enemies. I'm just using the default weapons for the load outs though. And these could just be the ramblings of a newb.

remember to tag with q and pull down to compensate for recoil during longer bursts

georgc

My heart aches for you my TR brother. I just got back from my Walmart and they had like 20 cards left. I got 3. If you look at the Walmart website they say if the cars are instock so you don't have to drive around aimlessly.

Myomoto

What's your faction? You kinda have to handle each factions gun with a different approach, and all of them takes a bit of getting used to.

Divius

Was chatting with my bro as he played his first game, his reactions were hilarious. He got dropped right into a major tank battle with ~20 tanks on each side. He was impressed. And died within 20 seconds.

Then I spawned a tank and drove him around while singing A Whole New World from the movie Aladin.

Magical.

XPE

Can anyone tell me before I spend the points if you can have the extended range and decreased lock on time on your A2A missile at the same time?

MrBig

Can anyone tell me before I spend the points if you can have the extended range and decreased lock on time on your A2A missile at the same time?

Not sure what you're referring to, none of the launchers have any cert abilities.

MrBig

The tomcat air to air missiles for the aircraft.

Ah, don't know why I was thinking you said G2A. All of the certs are grouped in to sub headings that define what slot they go in to, you can't equip two things from the same sub heading. This can be checked in the cert menu before you unlock a weapon.

Ding

Newb here....

I believe you can only "equip" one improvement at a time for those air-to-air missiles. So, you can have increased lock-on range, or a quicker lock, but not both. (I could be wrong since I don't have the screen here in front of me, but I think that's how it works. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

So... I've managed to play, I dunno, maybe 10 hours so far. All lone wolf style, since I don't know anyone, and I assume any random squad I join will just jump into the middle of a firefight somewhere. An environment where I wouldn't thrive, to put it mildly. But, I have been rotating through various vehicles, and practicing. I mostly alternate between the Lightning (tank) and the Scythe (fighter), since they're both one-man. I think I would probably prefer to pilot (or gun) in a Magrider or Liberator, but that requires more people.

I'm horrible at the shooting in this game. My K/D ratio must be below 0.1 at this point. All the air vehicle "practice" isn't helping. It's funny... I played PC FPSs since the Wolfenstein days, and had gotten fairly decent at it by 2005. When the 360 came out, I completely stopped playing games on the PC. Learning to use a controller was... difficult. But now, 7 years later, I'm finding that switching back to K/M is almost as bad. It's certainly more painful. I had totally forgotten about un-ergonomic a keyboard is for shooters. Lots of buttons though! :)

So, I think I'll try to stick to vehicles, and supporting roles behind the lines. If there's anyone out there with similar inclinations, send me a PM or something. I'm Vanu, on the east coast server, Mattherson. Name's "NotGoodWithComputers".

MrBig

There's a lot of gaffers here you can play with, join up with Bamelin in the VS outfit if you want or send out some friend request to the people in the spreadsheet. Check the OP for that info

You may be interested in getting one of these. I haven't gotten one myself yet, but I agree that using a keyboard really isn't up to par with an analogue stick for movement. Plus these allow you to press even more buttons than with a keyboard since you only use your thumb for movement. PS2's analogue support is extremely wonky atm though

Myomoto

Vanu on Mattherson.

Well in that case I don't really have any advice. VS guns are basically braindead easy to use, just hold down the trigger while pulling the mouse slightly down, vanu guns have barely any horizontal recoil and their cone of fire doesn't expand very much during sustained shooting.

Jhriad

If you can pay me back I could pick some up for ya. Always happy to help out a fellow TR. Just PM me and I'll see what I can do. If anyone else is having issues as well PM me.

sixghost

Well in that case I don't really have any advice. VS guns are basically braindead easy to use, just hold down the trigger while pulling the mouse slightly down, vanu guns have barely any horizontal recoil and their cone of fire doesn't expand very much during sustained shooting.

The only thing you really need to adjust to is how slow the bullets travel. At short to mid range it's just your standard left trigger right trigger FPS, but any longer and you need to lead quite a bit, it's annoying. At very short distances don't even bother with iron sights unless you were already looking down them when you saw the guy. The hip-fire spray is good enough.

MrGerbils

Man the bolt action infiltrator guns are kinda dumb especially if you miss the head of your target....and hit their body >.>

That's kinda the point of a sniper. Don't miss. As long as you get a clear shot it's an easy one hit kill.

As far as I'm concerned the bolt actions are the the only way to go.

Owensboro

Ugh. I really don't want to delete my NC on Mattherson and roll a Vanu. I don't think I can take being a huge purple nerd. Damn you GAF for all being nerds!

I'm taking one last shot at this: Is there anyone on Mattherson that either is 1) in a good outfit and could shoot me an invite or 2) know of a good one I could get in?

I'm going to shoot out an invite to everyone on the list. I hope some of you all are still playing a little!

acksman

Been trying to learn this game. Played a few times. I feel like each time I am just running around with a target on my back. I finally picked medic as it allows me to follow people around and just heal and watch what they do.

Still going solo, so much to take in on this game.

That's kinda the point of a sniper. Don't miss. As long as you get a clear shot it's an easy one hit kill.

As far as I'm concerned the bolt actions are the the only way to go.

Trying to hit a moving target's head isn't nearly as easy as hitting the body itself. Hitting them isn't the problem, it's hitting them, them shrugging it off and you having to reload per shot. Bolt action is great against other infiltrators since it becomes a game of who spots who first and since the other is always stationary getting a headshot is cake walk.

Though I've remedied the problem of a person shrugging off a shot and running away. I only shoot

1. Other infiltrators or people standing still for random reasons.
or
2. Wait until squadmates have put a few bullets into a moving target and picking them off.

Not sure which gun I want to grab, I'm thinking Nyx.

Trying to hit a moving target's head isn't nearly as easy as hitting the body itself. Hitting them isn't the problem, it's hitting them, them shrugging it off and you having to reload per shot. Bolt action is great against other infiltrators since it becomes a game of who spots who first and since the other is always stationary getting a headshot is cake walk.
Be patient. Just wait for the enemy to stop moving for a second then plug them-- almost nobody is CONSTANTLY in motion. Just pick your spots.

demolitio

If you can pay me back I could pick some up for ya. Always happy to help out a fellow TR. Just PM me and I'll see what I can do. If anyone else is having issues as well PM me.

That'd be great if I still can't find any after checking the last Walmart in the area. Hate to make you go out of your way.

NC lost the Crown to the VS on Matherson. :( Was a brutal battle though tons of cents! The siege lasted all day and had like half a dozen assault waves before the Crown fell.

squidyj

Man the bolt action infiltrator guns are kinda dumb especially if you miss the head of your target....and hit their body >.>

naw man, even if you're always doing body shots you can easily 2-shot people and get critical assists, the semi-autos are a pain in the ass. I can't ever get kills with them

Myomoto

Ugh. I really don't want to delete my NC on Mattherson and roll a Vanu. I don't think I can take being a huge purple nerd. Damn you GAF for all being nerds!

I'm taking one last shot at this: Is there anyone on Mattherson that either is 1) in a good outfit and could shoot me an invite or 2) know of a good one I could get in?

I'm going to shoot out an invite to everyone on the list. I hope some of you all are still playing a little!

You can have characters of different factions on the same server.

Top Bottom