• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

MrBig

Sorry to bother again. But, this isn't exclusive to the walmart purchase right? You just get extra 500 SC? As in, if I just wanted to buy of the SC of the Store, I'll still get the 3x even though I'm losing out on the extra 500 SC from the walmart cards right?

Thanks.

Yeah you can get 3x SC via any channel, card or on SOE's website, as long as it is entered or purchased on 12/21; the walmart cards just give you the extra 500SC on top of the 1500 ($15) that you pay for, which is included in the 3x amount.

Red is my favorite color, so I joined TR. It's really as simple as that. No idea why people get so worked up over faction choice.

You probably gonna marry girl in a red one day (if you haven't yet by now), despite her being a terrible person. It's fucking red, how could have you resisted it?

Ding

Wow, that 3x SC thing sounds great. It's too bad that I had already redeemed another card just a couple days ago. Still, I think I'll go grab a couple more. Where did you guys hear about this?

Thanks for the idea about the Nostromo. I was wondering if anybody still made those. It's a bit rich for my blood, though, so I'll probably just keep futzing around with keybindings until I come up with something usable. It would have been nice if that thumbstick on the Nostromo could be used for analog movement, but it sounds like the 'stick is fairly unusable on it. Pity.

So, you guys actually map aiming-down-the-sights to the right mouse button? That seemed crazy to me when I fired up PS2 and I immediately remapped it. I guess it bothered me because in pre-2005 PC FPSs, the right mouse button was always "jump" (or the jetpack in Tribes), and on a controller, aiming is always the left trigger. But, since I keep getting killed before I seem to even inconvenience an enemy, I may need to try that approach. Do you guys consider aiming to be the second most important button to map? (After firing)

I think my main problem with the Vanu guns is that they seem weak, and thus I need to get a ton of hits in order to get a kill. I'll put several shots into someone's back, and they will still whip around and kill me. I tend to fire single shots, or very short bursts, because otherwise the muzzle flash makes it impossible to see the enemy. Basically, unless I get a lucky headshot right off the bat, I'm dead. Clearly, I need more practice.

Maybe I should just wade into a meat-grinder fight somewhere. As it is, I get killed, spend 20 minutes driving or flying, or sneaking around, get shot by an unseen enemy, and then repeat the whole process again. I probably get a clean shot at somebody once every hour and a half.

Oh, what is the deal with "spotting enemies"? It doesn't even put them on my mini-map, much less anyone elses. What's the point, other than giving away your own position by bellowing at the top of your lungs?

MrBig

Sounds like you need to be playing with a good squad. PS2 really can't effectively be played alone unless you really know what you're doing.

It'll take you a while to get used to the shooting mechanics if you're just now getting back to KB/M, but yes in ADS shooters fire/aim is best mapped to L/R click.

Hey, maybe someone can help me.

I downloaded this game a few hours ago, and tried to play it and got some kind of error. After launching the game, it gets stuck loading at 15% and then the process ends, returning me to desktop giving me an error: Game Error G99

I tried again just now, and same thing.

I'd love to give this game a shot.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Couple technical questions:

1) What's the optimal FOV for a 1680x1050 monitor?

2) If performance is less than stellar, what options should I look to lowering first?

2) If performance is less than stellar, what options should I look to lowering first?

I think lowering shadows and reducing your render distance down to ~1200 would help (the bottleneck right now is serverside not clientside but you'll need to edit your ini files)

more info @ the link
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/performance-boost-how-to-play-planetside-2-with-the-best-fps-guide.55017/

Also since it seems like we've had quite a few new people in this thread, make sure to use your station ID to get some free SC

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/14lvoo/psa_170_free_station_cash/c7ea6n1

I downloaded this game a few hours ago, and tried to play it and got some kind of error. After launching the game, it gets stuck loading at 15% and then the process ends, returning me to desktop giving me an error: Game Error G99

I run into this issue everytime I start up PS2. I have to start game, maybe get splash screen(doesn't change the outcome) CTRL+ALT+DEL to task manager, end process, restart the game, sometimes it comes up with a black screen, sometimes not. When it does have a black screen, I have to ALT+TAB in and out of the game a few times to get to the start menu. I hope that helps.

It's a pain in the ass. It's strange though, sometimes it just works.

Has anyone noticed that sometimes the key response just "sticks" I have the don't delay key input button selected in the settings, but it still just doesn't respond. Am I experiencing lag and confusing it with something else?

I think lowering shadows and reducing your render distance down to ~1200 would help (the bottleneck right now is serverside not clientside but you'll need to edit your ini files)

more info @ the link
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/performance-boost-how-to-play-planetside-2-with-the-best-fps-guide.55017/

Also since it seems like we've had quite a few new people in this thread, make sure to use your station ID to get some free SC

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/14lvoo/psa_170_free_station_cash/c7ea6n1
Thanks, that def. worked. And was super fast. Good lookin' out.

Most of the times G99 means the authentication servers are off. It might as well be problem of EU client if you have downloaded it accidentally.

Mupod

Thanks for the idea about the Nostromo. I was wondering if anybody still made those. It's a bit rich for my blood, though, so I'll probably just keep futzing around with keybindings until I come up with something usable. It would have been nice if that thumbstick on the Nostromo could be used for analog movement, but it sounds like the 'stick is fairly unusable on it. Pity.

So, you guys actually map aiming-down-the-sights to the right mouse button? That seemed crazy to me when I fired up PS2 and I immediately remapped it. I guess it bothered me because in pre-2005 PC FPSs, the right mouse button was always "jump" (or the jetpack in Tribes), and on a controller, aiming is always the left trigger. But, since I keep getting killed before I seem to even inconvenience an enemy, I may need to try that approach. Do you guys consider aiming to be the second most important button to map? (After firing)

I think my main problem with the Vanu guns is that they seem weak, and thus I need to get a ton of hits in order to get a kill. I'll put several shots into someone's back, and they will still whip around and kill me. I tend to fire single shots, or very short bursts, because otherwise the muzzle flash makes it impossible to see the enemy. Basically, unless I get a lucky headshot right off the bat, I'm dead. Clearly, I need more practice.

Maybe I should just wade into a meat-grinder fight somewhere. As it is, I get killed, spend 20 minutes driving or flying, or sneaking around, get shot by an unseen enemy, and then repeat the whole process again. I probably get a clean shot at somebody once every hour and a half.

Oh, what is the deal with "spotting enemies"? It doesn't even put them on my mini-map, much less anyone elses. What's the point, other than giving away your own position by bellowing at the top of your lungs?

I use a Razer Naga, which allows me to (among other things) map pitch/roll for aircraft along with plenty of other keys for the 10,000 ways to voice chat in the game. But yeah, aim down sights is RMB...isn't that the default? Hell I didn't even look at the defaults before I changed everything.

Nothing wrong with Vanu guns...what class are you using? The Heavy Assault's default Orion LMG is extremely good for just simple 1v1 straight up fights. It eats ammo and you'll need to reload frequently but that's fine in big group fights. I rarely use other classes (except for when I get stuck as Engineer) but a good rule of thumb for LMGs is foregrip + 1x or 2x holo scope and strafe while firing. Just keep in mind that those red guys are strongest up close when they get the drop on you - it's going to happen no matter what but minimizing the occurrence of that kind of situation comes with experience.

Meatgrinder is the way to go. I join zergs occasionally if our map control is really bad, but I make most of my exp fighting where the heaviest action is. Wandering around capturing stuff by yourself is fun sometimes but it is absolutely terrible exp. My favorite places to defend are the Crown (of course), Mani Biolab and Tawrich Tech Plant. There's usually always some kind of fighting going on there.

Spotting can be useful, especially when enemies are at a distance at night time. Plus you can see their health bars and it alerts your allies. But you're right, I get so many kills because I hear ENEMY HAS HEAVY ARMOR IN THE AREA or something and then I turn around and see some cloaked infiltrator who thinks he's invisible to infrared.

Spazznid

Go with as much as you can handle. I play 1080p and use max on the slider, but it's kind of too much. I enjoy it, though and find it more immersive as well as tactically advantageous. there's probably a better answer so YMMV.

Also,Turn off Fog Shadows, then turn down/off shadows. Then maybe Dof/Ambient Occlusion. Then turn down textures.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Wow, that 3x SC thing sounds great. It's too bad that I had already redeemed another card just a couple days ago. Still, I think I'll go grab a couple more. Where did you guys hear about this?

It was accidentally leaked. They're usually unannounced.

Soi-Fong

Bring on Friday!! Oh yeah! :) Walmart was practically out of these cards. They only had two left after I grabbed these 3. 18,000 SC, come to papa!!

Just had a question about Vanu LMG's. I'm currently using an LSW right now without any certs spent on it, but how's the new Vanu LMG compare to it?

66d8ca0751bbdc2521d2f9fc48cc95d12ca1304f.JPG

Spazznid

Bring on Friday!! Oh yeah! :) Walmart was practically out of these cards. They only had two left after I grabbed these 3. 18,000 SC, come to papa!!

Just had a question about Vanu LMG's. I'm currently using an LSW right now without any certs spent on it, but how's the new Vanu LMG compare to it?

66d8ca0751bbdc2521d2f9fc48cc95d12ca1304f.JPG

Wouldn't it be 13,500 SC?

Soi-Fong

Wouldn't it be 13,500 SC?

Nope each of those cards give an extra 500 SC since they're from Walmart.

So 2000 SC each. 2000 x 3 = 6000

6000 x 3 = 18000

Well, anyway I've made a vow not to spend SC on anything that's not on sale just to make it last longer. Will really only go for those bundles or daily sale if I see something good. But like most people here said, the default weapons are nice as they are.

demolitio

Yup, had no luck at the last Walmart. The problem with Walmart is the inconsistency. Some places have them up in the PC section where the rest of the card are, some have it just on a little board at the back of an aisle with all the miscellaneous cards, and some don't have them at all nor a sticker where they should have been. It's all just thrown together.

If anyone does go and gets an extra one, let me know. I'll pay over PayPal or something but I hate to lose out on $15 in free points. I just don't want to make anyone take a separate trip for it. It's good this sale is in December since I'll be getting screwed over in January. December rocks...

squidyj

Nope each of those cards give an extra 500 SC since they're from Walmart.

So 2000 SC each. 2000 x 3 = 6000

6000 x 3 = 180000

Well, anyway I've made a vow not to spend SC on anything that's not on sale just to make it last longer. Will really only go for those bundles or daily sale if I see something good. But like most people here said, the default weapons are nice as they are.

you might be slightly off in your calculations there.

Cronox

Banned
you might be slightly off in your calculations there.

He's off by one 0 in his final figure, yes. Besides that, he's correct, he'll be getting $180 worth of station cash for $45.

I'd start a Walmart card begging thread for myself if I thought there would be enough demand besides me :/

Soi-Fong

He's off by one 0 in his final figure, yes. Besides that, he's correct, he'll be getting $180 worth of station cash for $45.

I'd start a Walmart card begging thread for myself if I thought there would be enough demand besides me :/

Oh. lol Yeah sorry. Off by one 0.

Also did that trick to get an extra 180 SC which is actually pretty useful for some cosmetic stuff. lol

demolitio

Just say the new factions ad on the launcher which features Total Biscuit. He legitimately looks like someone out of Command and Conquer.

Good. He'll make a fine recruiter for the TR as well. I wish I received a certification bonus for meeting my quota of new TR recruits every month.

On a more serious note, I now know what I'm buying first on Friday and that's the newest TR assault rifle. It fires quicker than the default yet has less recoil than my default rifle with a grip even. I wonder where they go from there as it seems like they just keep increasing the fire rate or give a little more control for slightly less fire rate than the fastest rifle. The only real downside is slower reloads but that's not a big deal and this one is good for all ranges really. I'd love to see more battle rifles, semi-auto and burst rifles in general really, and a few CQ weapons with short barrels, good fire rate, and better accuracy from the hip making it good for bases but bad everywhere else.

I'm prepared to laugh when I buy that rifle on Friday just to find out a better one is out a few weeks from now. Oh F2P, how I love you...The good news is that the game is well balanced so any gun is lethal in the hands of a good player. Some call the gun unlocks a side-grade, but they're all upgrades for certain playstyles. It's pretty well done really and definitely the best F2P model I've seen.

Off to bed I go hoping to have a fun-filled PS2 day tomorrow. I hope server switching happens soon because playing this game solo is a crime. Maybe it's time to explore the other outfits on the server other than the big zerg crews.

I think I'm ready to download this, despite not knowing much about the game. I've only read a brief description from steam, saw some screens in the screenshot thread, and watched some videos on YouTube.That alone has pushed me over the edge. Looks amazing.

According to steam the game is 15gb, is this correct?

My system specs are:

i7 920 @2.67ghz
6 gigs ram
Nvidia GeForce 5700GTX
1600x900 resolution monitor
Win 7 64bit.

What graphics settings could I run it?

Is it truly free2play ie no subscription service?

stryke

I think I'm ready to download this, despite not knowing much about the game. I've only read a brief description from steam, saw some screens in the screenshot thread, and watched some videos on YouTube.That alone has pushed me over the edge. Looks amazing.

According to steam the game is 15gb, is this correct?

My system specs are:

i7 920 @2.67ghz
6 gigs ram
Nvidia GeForce 5700GTX
1600x900 resolution monitor
Win 7 64bit.

What graphics settings could I run it?

Is it truly free2play ie no subscription service?

Well, I used the client straight from planetside2.com to download the game and including patches, I think it's only about 8-9GB.

Not a very tech person, but I would expect medium settings for you.

It is free to play in that you can unlock all weapons/attachments etc without paying. Just very, very slowly. Take advantage of the 2x or the upcoming 3x station cash days to unlock things you want faster.

Ok, but is the game completely playable without the subscription services?

Totally playable without subscribing or paying for it.
But, customizing your character is unfortunately pretty expensive right now, like we're talking about either grinding for 80 hours just to afford a single new weapon or paying $8 for it. But if you take multiple deals into account, like getting triple the amount of station cash, you can cut that price down to a third in theory (so $2-3 per weapon), and if you also wait for individual sales/deals on the items themselves, you might end up paying no more than $1-2 for a single weapon.

Keep in mind that different weapons aren't necessarily better, they're just different in terms of fire power/reload time/magazine size/etc.

Try again after they release the optimization patch maybe things will be better for you.
Yeah I'll give them another try, but with the triple cash day coming up it's such a big risk sinking money into something I can't enjoy. I had these problems in the beta and Total Biscuit seemed to suggest the launch had improved things.
What are your specs? Like I've mentioned before completely disabling shadows and flora in useroptions.ini works wonders
High enough that I should be able to run it. I tried what you suggested and I'm able to get 30-40 fps on 1280*800, but that is kind of insulting for 2012 in my opinion.

more info @ the link

So, I tried to to this, logged in and it told me I needed to reset my password. Went to do that and it tells me my original credentials don't work.

Already picked up one GS card, might swing by wal mart today.

Finally figured out how to get kills with the Vanu Heavy-- just activate the force field and shoot from the hip. ADS without any enhancements you flinch around way too much when you get shot.

Is it just me or is it really hard to take down aircrafts as a lone soldier?
I've even tried to take a choppah down in MAX suit with the AA-attachment, but nope - takes forever to chip down at its health.

Violater

This game running at 60FPS for its scale is very impressive.
I ran around for about 1/2 hour last night not knowing what the hell I was doing and got killed a lot.
There was an enemy spawn up on a hill overlooking my base and the snipers were just picking us off. I spawned at another point and used the booster ability to scale up one side of the hill and got behind them and managed to take one of them out before being quickly dispatched.

Is it just me or is it really hard to take down aircrafts as a lone soldier?
I've even tried to take a choppah down in MAX suit with the AA-attachment, but nope - takes forever to chip down at its health.

I think it is by design, ground AA is suppose to be a deterent not a hard counter to Air, Smedley said something along the lines that they expected ESF to counter air targets. That being said, I have seen how powerful dual burster maxes can be in clusters of 3-4. With my burster max (solo) I can take an enemy ESF down to ~ 1/4 health provided the full clip hits and a full clip into a lib tends to knock it down to 2/3 health. When using AA maxes try to work in teams with engies supplying ammo, it works much better that way.

MrBig

Totally playable without subscribing or paying for it.
But, customizing your character is unfortunately pretty expensive right now, like we're talking about either grinding for 80 hours just to afford a single new weapon or paying $8 for it.

What? weapons only take 10-30 hours to unlock the most expensive weapons depending on how you play. If you're terrible at shooters/PS2 it may take longer but 80hrs is a ridiculous claim.

I think it is by design, ground AA is suppose to be a deterent not a hard counter to Air, Smedley said something along the lines that they expected ESF to counter air targets. That being said, I have seen how powerful dual burster maxes can be in clusters of 3-4. With my burster max (solo) I can take an enemy ESF down to ~ 1/4 health provided the full clip hits and a full clip into a lib tends to knock it down to 2/3 health. When using AA maxes try to work in teams with engies supplying ammo, it works much better that way.

Yeah, it's all about the teamwork.
Need to get into the GAF group.

Mupod

The best combination is AA MAXes on the ground with engineers providing ammo/repairs, and ESFs in the air. The main problem with ground based antiair is that decent pilots just get the hell out of there as soon as they start taking fire. Then they go heal up and come back again 10 seconds later. So the MAXes get no experience, while the air picks off a handful of dudes on the ground each time. But if you've got ESFs chasing down smoking Liberators, now you've got an effective defense.

As for the 80 hours claim...I didn't/can't watch that video but it might seem that way from your first hour of play with no idea what you are doing. But all you need is a small cert investment to get yourself up to speed - for example, despite the fact that I'm BR46, to be at 90-95% of my effectiveness as a HA you'd only need to spend ~200 certs for a foregrip, nanoweave armor (or flak), self-heal and scope. With this it's totally reasonable make an average 60 per hour before boosts.

Top Bottom