• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

MrBig

So apparently Ultra textures still are part of the Beta client, they can be enabled by setting textures to "0" in the settings ini. Don't know why I didn't think to try it when I was messing with all the settings before. Comparison someone posted

high
iRApPNFg5Zs8D.jpg

ultra
icX2Bz7hdz2Np.jpg

Will check it out tomorrow, since currently PS2 only uses ~800mb or less of VRAM at high iirc

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, i'm not feeling well enough to play really today, yet i want to play. Antibiotics leave me feeling... i don't know how to describe but i don't want to play anything fast, or first person games. Feel kinda unsteady.
Feels like getting better is taking forever.
And i still need to setup my headset and make sure it works...

mr_nothin

Banned
So apparently Ultra textures still are part of the Beta client, they can be enabled by setting textures to "0" in the settings ini. Don't know why I didn't think to try it when I was messing with all the settings before. Comparison someone posted

Will check it out tomorrow, since currently PS2 only uses ~800mb or less of VRAM at high iirc

I've been using them for a while now :)
Also, since the last patch..you can take the render quality beyond 100% for some in-engine downsampling. Makes things a big sharper. Just change RenderQuality from 1.0 to something higher. I've tried all the way up to 3.0. Makes the game way sharper and has less of an FXAA look

Moaradin

I've been using them for a while now :)
Also, since the last patch..you can take the render quality beyond 100% for some in-engine downsampling. Makes things a big sharper. Just change RenderQuality from 1.0 to something higher. I've tried all the way up to 3.0. Makes the game way sharper and has less of an FXAA look

Nice, I'll fool around with this stuff. You can also disable FXAA, though it does reset every time you open the launcher.

Acheteedo

So I caved and bought the Alpha Squad access to get into the beta. Was very happy to see that it actually runs on my bootcamped macbook. Runs pretty well too! Can get it very smooth on low settings and around 30fps (give or take 10fps) on medium. And now they've announced that Alpha Squad people will receive a beta key for a friend about a week after signing up, which is awesome!

Sethos

Banned
Anyone else having trouble logging into their station account?

Changed my password 3 times now but it still says wrong password :|

Oh well, on another note - Quote for Beta key

To Redeem:
1. Go to www.PlanetSide2.com and enter your key.
2. Go to www.PlanetSide2.com/download and login with your Station name and password.
3. Download Launchpad and run/install.
4. Login with your Station name and password to start downloading.
5. When download is complete, press Play.

Sethos

Banned
I think their login servers are iffy, my other account doesn't work either. Then I'm going to assume problems / maintenance.

Calantus

I haven't tested the beta in about three weeks and they really have polished the game. It's much more fun, and the client is much more stable.

Now to join the outfit.

Booter

was thinking strongly about joining alpha squad

i am planning on building a new pc soon (basically for PS2) but i want to know how you guys think the game will run on my current rig:

core2duo E8400 (bottleneck)
4gb ram
GTX 550

MrBig

Yeah lots of DCs

Update really polished a lot of things.

You no longer have to crash land scythes, they hover a bit over the ground. Generally handles better. Afterburner meter accurately reflects fuel now.

Ticket counter made less ugly, influence meter added to it. Influence no longer gives automatic tickets but increases ticket gain.

Warpgate landing pads made much more spacious, maneuverable, and smooth.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
some interesting changes in the patch. So NC's spawning where Vanu was? I kind of want to spawn where TR does (think it's the area with grass, which looks great in comparison to DESERT)

mr_nothin

Banned
Yeah lots of DCs

Update really polished a lot of things.

You no longer have to crash land scythes, they hover a bit over the ground. Generally handles better. Afterburner meter accurately reflects fuel now.

Ticket counter made less ugly, influence meter added to it. Influence no longer gives automatic tickets but increases ticket gain.

Warpgate landing pads made much more spacious, maneuverable, and smooth.

Spawn generators got a make over, at least in the biolabs. They also have a voiceover letting you know it was destroyed.

Does anybody know if they're going to implement some sort of rewards system beyond capturing points? Personally to keep my interest in this game, I think they need to add some additional system. As it is right now the gameplay and idea is awesome, but I do feel like there is that feeling of "I won" or "I lost" missing.

SparkTR

was thinking strongly about joining alpha squad

i am planning on building a new pc soon (basically for PS2) but i want to know how you guys think the game will run on my current rig:

core2duo E8400 (bottleneck)
4gb ram
GTX 550

I've run it on an E8500, 560Ti, 4gRAM and it gets good performance in everything but the biggest battles maxed out. Just buy an SSD and upgrade to the latest Nvidia beta drivers.

Lonestar

It's gonna be interesting to see how the gameplay changed with the Max and Spawning changes.

So, MAX's are now set up as a personal "tank" rather than player class? Only selectable at consoles, and have a spawn timer?

Kind of think this helps offensive attacks more than defensive. Now you can raid into a base/room, that isn't guarded by 8 MAX's. Maybe at the beginning of an attack, but once those go down, it'll be easier.

Which brings up a thought, that I never really looked for: Could MAX's be revived? Not by Medics of course, but by Engineers?

cametall

Couple questions.

Did they remove the travel feature MAXs had in PS1? (running really fast). It seems they can speed up for a few seconds and that's it, or I'm doing it wrong.

Last night on the bottom right corner of my screen a little icon appeared and kept blinkining. It said "F12" with an "!" above it. Pressing F12 did nothing. What was it?

mr_nothin

Banned
So, MAX's are now set up as a personal "tank" rather than player class? Only selectable at consoles, and have a spawn timer?

Kind of think this helps offensive attacks more than defensive. Now you can raid into a base/room, that isn't guarded by 8 MAX's. Maybe at the beginning of an attack, but once those go down, it'll be easier.

Which brings up a thought, that I never really looked for: Could MAX's be revived? Not by Medics of course, but by Engineers?

MAX's cant be revived as of now. They can be repaired but once they're dead, they're dead. I think they said something about allowing them to be revivable by medics but they'll have really low health so they'll have to find an engineer to get them back to full health. Seems like fair trade offs

MrBig

69 fov, it has less texture pop-in/less random ugly textures on buildings. I would be using 74 if it wasnt for that.

Note that a normal 90 degree horizontal FOV is a 59 degree vertical FOV at 16:9, which is the metric PS2 uses. 69 is pretty high.

Couple questions.

Did they remove the travel feature MAXs had in PS1? (running really fast). It seems they can speed up for a few seconds and that's it, or I'm doing it wrong.

Last night on the bottom right corner of my screen a little icon appeared and kept blinkining. It said "F12" with an "!" above it. Pressing F12 did nothing. What was it?

Yes all MAXs have that sprint ability as a base.

F12 brings up player invites for squads, friends, etc

Izayoi

Banned
Any other good ways of maximizing IQ? Set textures to 0 and render quality to 3.

1.4GB patch, damn. Getting ready to put the second continent in? Some good stuff in the patch notes, especially love the changes to the mini and world maps.

Acheteedo

God damn, nothing beats that epic feeling when you enter a large battle from a distance. No other game has replicated that, especially other single player "epic" battles. With all the tracers and especially the sound effects, they've totally nailed it.

Lonestar

God damn, nothing beats that epic feeling when you enter a large battle from a distance. No other game has replicated that, especially other single player "epic" battles. With all the tracers and especially the sound effects, they've totally nailed it.

Tracers and explosions in the distances (along with jet engine noises from the aircraft).

That last one can be kind of terrifying at times. I'll hear the incoming noise of a jet, and then a mad scramble to find him, see if he's friendly or not, and get cover if it's not.

mr_nothin

Banned
Any other good ways of maximizing IQ? Set textures to 0 and render quality to 3.

1.4GB patch, damn. Getting ready to put the second continent in? Some good stuff in the patch notes, especially love the changes to the mini and world maps.

You're able to run at a RenderQuality of 3.00000?
That should kill performance on anything other than 680 SLI

MrBig

You're able to run at a RenderQuality of 3.00000?
That should kill performance on anything other than 680 SLI

Yeah there's no way you can run this at a render quality of 3. I was playing around at 1.25 (1.25x2560x1440). Min FPS was 28 and max was 34.

mr_nothin

Banned
Downloading now! Cannot wait to play with the changes.

All of the big changes arent in yet, besides the MAX spawning restrictions. There are more certs and refinements here and there but the big stuff should start coming in next week. :)
The small changes do a lot to make the game feel more polished and play smoother though.

All of the big changes arent in yet, besides the MAX spawning restrictions. There are more certs and refinements here and there but the big stuff should start coming in next week. :)
The small changes do a lot to make the game feel more polished and play smoother though.

That's exactly what I am talking about, the small ones ;). See how the war plays now with MAX limitations and new locations.

mr_nothin

Banned
That's exactly what I am talking about, the small ones ;). See how the war plays now with MAX limitations and new locations.

Health not refilling at the terminals is pretty cool too. I got into a fight with like 4 ppl, killed them, and survived. I was scared as hell because I only had 4 health bars left. I had to walk around and look for a medic.
Also, there is a problem with the latest patch that the devs are currently fixing. There's a performance problem that's being caused by the HUD. With the HUD on, I get about 30-40fps....with it off, I get 70-80fps (on a GTX 670). They're fixing it right now but I cant stand to play like that. I dont see how anyone can go around playing like that.

Also, does anybody know where my computer is at in the Minimum or Reccommended range?
PC Specs:
AMD Athlon X2 220 2.8Ghz Dual Core
12 Gigs of Ram (Windows 7 64 Bit)
500gb Hardrive
ATI Radeon HD 5570 1 Gig
Slimline stock 220W PSU (I'm using a Slimline case because this is the one my computer came with lol)

mr_nothin

Banned
Also, does anybody know where my computer is at in the Minimum or Reccommended range?
PC Specs:
AMD Athlon X2 220 2.8Ghz Dual Core
12 Gigs of Ram (Windows 7 64 Bit)
500gb Hardrive
ATI Radeon HD 5570 1 Gig
Slimline stock 220W PSU (I'm using a Slimline case because this is the one my computer came with lol)

Sadly, your PC wouldnt do very well, especially with that CPU. As of right now, the engine doesnt like AMD OR Dual Core Procs....and you have both :/

Sadly, your PC wouldnt do very well, especially with that CPU. As of right now, the engine doesnt like AMD OR Dual Core Procs....and you have both :/

Ah, well that explains my computer chugging along with everything on low lol.

I hope they optimise it in the future, otherwise I'm not supporting a game I can't play on a computer I just bought this year.

Top Bottom