• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

Trickster

shame you cant reserve them, would love to get a couple of keys so I could invite som real life friends to play with me.

qazqaNii

wohoo got one!..

But I can't download the game from the eu servers only works when i "enter" the na website does that mean I can only play on NA serverS?

Trickster

wohoo got one!..

But I can't download the game from the eu servers only works when i "enter" the na website does that mean I can only play on NA serverS?

I don't think it matters. I just clicked the dl link i got in the mail, and installed it. When I have the game open I can see both US and EU servers.

Can't play since servers are down atm though :(

Trickster

servers seem to be up

noob question here. How do I accept friend and outfit invites? Can't see any under the social tab

Atruvius

Remember, EU GAF outfit resides in the EU1 server and we are one of the New Conglomerates.

We have to be online at the same time for the invites to work.

Trickster

Remember, EU GAF outfit resides in the EU1 server and we are one of the New Conglomerates.

We have to be online at the same time for the invites to work.

I am online, I saw the friend and outfit requests. But I can't find anywhere to accept them, even under the social tab. :(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I am online, I saw the friend and outfit requests. But I can't find anywhere to accept them, even under the social tab. :(

Most of those screens are bare bones and not working. Don't know if you can search out Outfits, but they exist...kinda.

Right now, Outfits are more like Private Group Chats and another voice channel to manage.

Trickster

Most of those screens are bare bones and not working. Don't know if you can search out Outfits, but they exist...kinda.

Right now, Outfits are more like Private Group Chats and another voice channel to manage.

Gotta be possible to join somehow though.

Trickster

When you get invites, press down "F12", and then "Y" for yes.

Finally figured out the problem, I had seen the f12 icon in the corner, and had tried pressing f12 many times without it doing anything. Turns out that the key on my computer for opening that was set to home for no good reason!

haikira

Been getting an hour or two in each night on the EU1 server, normally about midnight. The server has been quite the ghost town for me. When i drop down to the "hot spots", the most people I've ever seen in a battle is probably 12, counting both sides. Is it the same on all servers because it's a closed beta, or am i just picking the wrong time to play on the EU server? I'm guessing it won't be like this when it's open.

Also had a couple of instances of players on my own side being extremely nasty with me. Once because i didn't know how to swap turrets on a plane and got us shot down. After we spawned, he TKd me then spammed abuse on /yell. I'm only level one, and at the time had only started playing.

Definitely finding it a hard game to pick up on quickly.

Despite all the negative comments above though. I'm still digging it and i'm glad i bought in to it. Most of my problems are simply from it being beta, bad luck or lack of experience. But when i get into good battles, the game feels good. It's also one hell of a looker and runs surprisingly perfect, considering it's a beta. Just need to read up more about the game and try and play with Gaf folk i guess.

EDIT: Just reading the OP as already doubled my knowledge on the game. I love Gaf OPs.

Trickster

Been getting an hour or two in each night on the EU1 server, normally about midnight. The server has been quite the ghost town for me. When i drop down to the "hot spots", the most people I've ever seen in a battle is probably 12, counting both sides. Is it the same on all servers because it's a closed beta, or am i just picking the wrong time to play on the EU server? I'm guessing it won't be like this when it's open.

Also had a couple of instances of players on my own side being extremely nasty with me. Once because i didn't know how to swap turrets on a plane and got us shot down. After we spawned, he TKd me then spammed abuse on /yell. I'm only level one, and at the time had only started playing.

Despite all the negative comments above though. I'm still digging it and i'm glad i bought in to it. Most of my problems are simply from it being beta, bad luck or lack of experience. But when i get into good battles, the game feels good. It's also one hell of a looker and runs surprisingly perfect, considering it's a beta. Just need to read up more about the game and try and play with Gaf folk i guess.

EDIT: Just reading the OP as already doubled my knowledge on the game. I love Gaf OPs.

I think it might be because of when you're playing. I've been playing it a bit now, and the battles are pretty massive. Tanks and aircrafts everwhere, with tons of infantry as well.

Jburton

Banned

What you playing as?

TR, NC or Vanu?

Also EU01 does start to dry up in the later hours (not as pronounced at the weekend) but around 8pm it is usually packed (especially TR and NC).

If you play as TR, put up your in game name and I will add you to the GAF outfit.

There is also a NC EU01 outfit too.

mr_nothin

Banned

The West servers are the most populated with West 01 being the most populated. East servers follow behind that but I'd say that the population is cut down to half from the West servers when going to East. Then EU servers follow behind East servers. East servers are usually most populated at night from around 8pm-3am EST.

As of right now, servers arent region locked so just hop on a West 01 server if you really want to see some madness. I'd recommend East 01 or 02 if you're just starting out and trying to get the hang of everything.

I think it might be because of when you're playing. I've been playing it a bit now, and the battles are pretty massive. Tanks and aircrafts everwhere, with tons of infantry as well.

What server are you playing on right now?

MrBig

Whaaaat? Any left? :(

Nope :(. They're sending keys out to people who got Alpha Squad (they're going to be giving out multiple keys over time). I'm sure other people will share if they can. And of course I'll be giving out more handfuls of keys whenever I get my hands on them

ShaneB

Nope :(. They're sending keys out to people who got Alpha Squad (they're going to be giving out multiple keys over time). I'm sure other people will share if they can. And of course I'll be giving out more handfuls of keys whenever I get my hands on them

Ah, okey dokey. No worries.

I briefly tried out Firefall and it just didn't click at all, but really interested in checking out Planetside 2.

Woorloog

Banned
I ran to an odd issue with Elemental Fallen Enchantress where the game uses wrong GPU (Intel HD Graphics 3000 instead of GT630M).
Which made me think... PS2 most likely uses GT630M properly like Starcraft 2 does... but is there anyway to be sure it actually does use GT630M?
And other games as well.

I'm not worried really, HD Graphics 3000 is unlikely to run the game at 30+FPS with medium settings, no? But it would be nice to be sure.

Meanwhile im stuck playing the poor mans PS2, Dust... :-( lol

Btw is there much of an eu gaf clan yet? Seems like a squad is a must for this game

Trickster

Been playing this game for quite a few hours now. Kinda feels like a sci-fi version of battlefield 3, only there are many times more of everything and it's basically one giant map.

Got into a platoon where my mind was blown by the fact that there was a guy calling out what to do, and people actually did what he said.

Overall it seemed very fun. Though I kinda fear for the longevity of the game, it feels like there isn't a lot more to do that hop from area to area, trying to capture new positions.

Jhriad

Overall it seemed very fun. Though I kinda fear for the longevity of the game, it feels like there isn't a lot more to do that hop from area to area, trying to capture new positions.

A lot of the meta game isn't in there yet. They've still got the planned missions and hopefully they look at implementing continent linking like Planetside 1.

mr_nothin

Banned
Been playing this game for quite a few hours now. Kinda feels like a sci-fi version of battlefield 3, only there are many times more of everything and it's basically one giant map.

Got into a platoon where my mind was blown by the fact that there was a guy calling out what to do, and people actually did what he said.

They already acknowledge exactly this. There is no misison structure yet, there's no commander roles yet, resources dont have much value yet, base capture mechanics arent all in place, spawn logistics need a bit of work, only 20% of the final certifications are in.

A lot of our excitement comes from us knowing what they're working on and the outlook of the game. There's a lot of new content coming within the next few weeks that should really help put value into capturing bases and possessing resources, etc.

The CEO of SOE even said that they know it plays like MMOBF3 as of right now. They are taking it way beyond that though! The mission system alone will make this game a lot more objective oriented. Then you'll have the ability, as a squad leader, to set waypoints and give directions for what to do at each waypoint.

ALOT of the meta game just isnt there but it's amazing how much fun and coordination there is even without all of that.

DTKT

I've tried playing tonight and it's been really bad with the lag. I was warping around, killing people I did not see.

I mean, I know this is a beta, but I can't remember the last time that network issues were fixed for launch day. If anything, it's going to be even worse with more players in the game...

cametall

I've tried playing tonight and it's been really bad with the lag. I was warping around, killing people I did not see.

I mean, I know this is a beta, but I can't remember the last time that network issues were fixed for launch day. If anything, it's going to be even worse with more players in the game...

There was a global broadcast about the East coast servers having issues and was supposedly fixed (or a fix was attempted). I guess I logged on East 02 right as they came back up.

EDIT: That was at 8:30pm or so though.

MrBig

Were you playing on an east server? They were having a problem with part of their network hardware on the server failing, will be fixed soon. There's not any warping under normal condition if you have a good connection.

e: beat

mr_nothin

Banned
New patch notes!
Hopefully commander certs allow for commander mode :)

RadarX said:
General:

We continue to address crash bugs and stability tweaks to create a more stable gameplay experience.
Commander Certifications are now available.
Players may no longer spawn/respawn into a MAX units.
Equipment Terminals will no longer heal players when used.
Warpgate Locations have been moved.
Resource Rewards have been slightly adjusted.
A number of map enhancements have been made.

Known Issues:

Waypoints are currently being worked on to allow different types. Currently waypoints are not working correctly at this time but are being worked on.

Notable Bug Fixes:

Vehicles that are locked to Squad/Platoon only will now allow Platoon members to enter.

Classes:

The MAX will no longer be available for respawn. Players will now access an equipment terminal to use the MAX.

Vehicles:

The Magrider's tune speed and strafe has been adjusted.

Items:

Spawn Beacon cost has been adjusted to 100 Alloys.
Med Kit cost has been adjusted to 150 Catalysts.
Restoration Kit cost has been adjusted to 75 Catalysts.
Claymore/Siphon Bomb/Bouncing Betty cost has been adjusted to 75 Polymers.
C4 cost has been adjusted to 100 Catalysts.
Sticky Grenade cost has been adjusted to 100 Alloys.
Frag Grenade cost has been adjusted to 45 Alloys.
Players can now deploy as many explosives as they can equip.

Certifications:

The Ejection System Certification allows players to safely eject from light aircraft such as the Reaver, Scythe, or Mosquito and the Liberator.
Infrared Night Vision Certifications are now available on vehicle weapons.
Commander certifications allow the use Command channels.
Certifications for the Heal and Repair tools have been added.

World:

The New Conglomerate Warpgate is now located in the eastern portion of the map.
The Terran Republic Warpgate is now located in the northern portion of the map.
The Vanu Sovereignty Warpgate is now located in the southern portion of the map.
Peris capture mechanics have been updated.
Players should now see enemy units more clearly on the mini-map.

Interface:

A toggle for the continent map is now available that will show a coordinate based grid which can be used to coordinate movement.
A “center on me” toggle has been added to the upper left corner of the map. Arrows around this toggle will allow the map to pan.
Facility names now appear on the continent map if the Facility toggle is on.
The continent map will now save your position and zoom level when you close the interface.
An activity indicator has been added to the region information panel. As you mouse over the regions with the Territory control toggle on you can see value listed for how busy that region is.
Hotspot indicators should more accurately drop players in the location they are requesting.

Top Bottom