• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, this means that Galaxy's parked on the landing pads won't be spawn points anymore?

Will they be spawn points anywhere else? Can you spawn into them in while they are in flight, leading to more drops, or do they need to land near a spawn, load back up, take off, drop, repeat?

Nice that Sunderer becomes a spawn point, like the old PS1 vehicle. More of a reason to use those now.

mr_nothin

Banned
So, this means that Galaxy's parked on the landing pads won't be spawn points anymore?

Will they be spawn points anywhere else? Can you spawn into them in while they are in flight, leading to more drops, or do they need to land near a spawn, load back up, take off, drop, repeat?

Nice that Sunderer becomes a spawn point, like the old PS1 vehicle. More of a reason to use those now.

GALs will now require you to cert into being able to make the GAL a mobile spawn point. You'll have to cert to give it the abilities that it has now, basically.

You wont be able to spawn into them mid-flight and I hope it stays that way. Make them real transport vehicles and not the spawn boxes that BF3 has. GALs will, as you said, have to land near a group of ppl, load ppl up, GAL drop them, and go find others to pick up. And when you've done that enough, then as a highly skilled GAL pilot..you'll be able to cert the ability to make it a mobile spawn. That cert will be pretty expensive, so it'll only be a viable option for ppl who are specialized as GAL pilots. You will still have to deploy the galaxy 1st, in order to make it a spawn point.

SJRB

Gold Member
Installing now, I can't believe it's only 4,5 gigs. Download speed is ultra-fast too, wow.

I'm giddy like a kid to finally be able to play this, I even went home from work early. What faction are most of you playing?

Sniping is so easy. Had 22-0 till the moment I've met 2 light TR aircrafts with my recent victims in them. Protip: aim at the top of the enemies' head if you're trying to snipe a foe closer than 1000m away from you. Also IRNV is OP. Also it's not possible to resupply Medical Kits

Installing now, I can't believe it's only 4,5 gigs. Download speed is ultra-fast too, wow.

I'm giddy like a kid to finally be able to play this, I even went home from work early. What faction are most of you playing?

NC EU1 here. PM me if you're going to join us fighting for liberty.

SJRB

Gold Member
This game doesn't mess around - no tutorial or introduction whatsoever. I spawn, no idea what the hell is going on. I board a transport carier and it flies away. I'm the backdoor gunner. We fly over some base at great altitude and there is a huge, HUGE battle going on. Aircraft, tanks, carriers everywhere. Lasersbeams, bombardments, explosions. It was an amazing sight.

Jhriad

If you need anything explained feel free to ask here or if you happen to be on West 01 shoot me up. Don't mind explaining things via voice comms or tells. :)

MrBig

Just came here to post this. If you look through this thread for Smed's replies he discusses a lot about their plans and he's taking ideas/feedback on things. From the suggestions in there we're finally getting base benefits, the spawning changes, and the possibility of continent locking. It's great to see direct communication and them making actual feedback based on good suggestions from PS1 vets. Also nice to see they're not falling for the terrible suggestions of nostalgia tainted vets either.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm getting about 15 fps on all-medium settings, game runs far worse than I expected.

i have an i5, 6gb ram and a GeForce GT 530 with 2gb vram, which is beyond the recommended specs. What specs are you guys running?

MrBig

I'm getting about 15 fps on all-medium settings, game runs far worse than I expected.

i have an i5, 6gb ram and a GeForce GT 530 with 2gb vram, which is beyond the recommended specs. What specs are you guys running?

GT 530 isn't really designed to be a gaming card and doesn't meet rec specs. GTX 500 line is separate from the GT line.

You can try lowering the render quality. It will lower the resolution without lowering the res of the UI

Lonestar

i5-3570k, HD7850 2GB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, on an SSD, 1600x1200 resolution and have everything set to high.

Runs at about 40-50 fps for everything. Will keep an eye during large battles, but I guess it might drop down to about 30 fps.

I know there are high resolutions, but playing on a older LCD TV, only goes up so high. Over HDMI.

SJRB

Gold Member
GT 530 isn't really designed to be a gaming card and doesn't meet rec specs. GTX 500 line is separate from the GT line.

You can try lowering the render quality. It will lower the resolution without lowering the res of the UI

Well damnit. Truth be told this is the first time I'm getting such poor performance, games like Sleeping Dogs runs great. Granted I play most games on my PS3.

Guess I should start saving for a new gpu. Totally offtopic, but got any recommendations?

MrBig

Well damnit. Truth be told this is the first time I'm getting such poor performance, games like Sleeping Dogs runs great. Granted I play most games on my PS3.

Guess I should start saving for a new gpu. Totally offtopic, but got any recommendations?

Have you OCed your i5? PS2 is much more intensive on the CPU than the GPU. Try that first.

Just remember that this game isn't bound by console specs and is a high spec PC game, though it certainly isn't where it needs to be in terms of optimizations yet. For a GPU it will depend on your budget. I'd say <$200 6870, <$300 7850, ~$300 660ti, ~$400 670. 660ti or 670 would be a good investment for playing next gen games.

mr_nothin

Banned
Just came here to post this. If you look through this thread for Smed's replies he discusses a lot about their plans and he's taking ideas/feedback on things. From the suggestions in there we're finally getting base benefits, the spawning changes, and the possibility of continent locking. It's great to see direct communication and them making actual feedback based on good suggestions from PS1 vets. Also nice to see they're not falling for the terrible suggestions of nostalgia tainted vets either.

Just about everything about the way this game is being developed is perfection. I've never seen anything like it. It's fantastic. Love the game, the community and the developers behind everything. They listen to feedback and they also consider (really consider and not just say it) changes. They then inform us why or why not and give us reasons for both sides.

MrBig

Just about everything about the way this game is being developed is perfection. I've never seen anything like it. It's fantastic. Love the game, the community and the developers behind everything. They listen to feedback and they also consider (really consider and not just say it) changes. They then inform us why or why not and give us reasons for both sides.

Oops, forgot to link the thread. http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?posts/226996/

Starting from there he has a lot of posts.

zedge

i5-3570k, HD7850 2GB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, on an SSD, 1600x1200 resolution and have everything set to high.

Runs at about 40-50 fps for everything. Will keep an eye during large battles, but I guess it might drop down to about 30 fps.

I know there are high resolutions, but playing on a older LCD TV, only goes up so high. Over HDMI.
Almost the same. Have 7870 with i5 3570. 1920X1080 maxed and it always seems to be smooth. Love it.

mr_nothin

Banned
Oops, forgot to link the thread. http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?posts/226996/

Starting from there he has a lot of posts.

Amazing....simply amazing. Reading through it all now

EDIT:
Just now getting to the AMS/GAL/Sunderer discussions. Crazy how they were just discussing it yesterday and announced the changes to it today. Awesome. Hopefully the Sunderer as a mobile spawn point works out (I've been wanting it too). This is a great read

Played a bit today, even on low it's fairly fun but the gun play just doens't feel very solid to me.
Sounds like a problem on your end. Try lowering settings before going in.
Sometimes the button for joining a server is just greyed out. I don't think it's my fault. I think either the game is bugged or the server is just plain full.
Servers are having issues. The last patch broke everything
Ah thanks for clarifying.

mr_nothin

Banned
Played a bit today, even on low it's fairly fun but the gun play just doens't feel very solid to me.

Sometimes the button for joining a server is just greyed out. I don't think it's my fault. I think either the game is bugged or the server is just plain full.

Ah thanks for clarifying.

Gunplay is getting rehauled pretty soon. Going to a more recoil based system rather than cone of fire. Just dont expect it to be perfect from the jump.

MrBig

The more popular servers can get filled up yes, and with the latest patch they made it so the Play button is not clickable if the server is full. Eventually they'll have population numbers on the server screen.

Wait for a bit. It'll become available. I had trouble yesterday making a character, but I just waited for a half minute for it to be available.

Also, took a server reset for a name I deleted to become available again.

Pennybags

Yay another continent in 1-2 weeks! Cant wait to play Esamir!

I'm not sure Smedley was actually implying Esamir would be implemented within that time.

He talks about what is coming up shortly as the main focus (spawning/certs/gunplay), and then goes on saying that they are working on Esamir.

I'd love to be surprised, though. IIRC, they've basically finished up the overall geometry and are working on things like terrain glitches, etc.

mr_nothin

Banned
I'm not sure Smedley was actually implying Esamir would be implemented within that time.

He talks about what is coming up shortly as the main focus (spawning/certs/gunplay), and then goes on saying that they are working on Esamir.

I'd love to be surprised, though. IIRC, they've basically finished up the overall geometry and are working on things like terrain glitches, etc.

Higby said 1-2 weeks on a stream last night.

Pennybags

Higby said 1-2 weeks on a stream last night.

QSoKV.jpg

Also, link if there's any other good bits.

mr_nothin

Banned
QSoKV.jpg

Also, link if there's any other good bits.

It was on the destructoid's twitch.tv channel. Not really any new info besides Esamir's eta. Really, it was the guy asking Higby how to play (he only had beta for 1-2 hrs before the stream). Higby was teleporting the guy across the map and showing him a few sights. Was funny when they went to an NC owned base and everybody was jumping around praising Higby.

sp3000

It's funny that when I go between this and Armored Kill, even the biggest BF3 map feels like a little duel compared to the gigantic assaults in PS2.

MrBig

It's funny that when I go between this and Armored Kill, even the biggest BF3 map feels like a little duel compared to the gigantic assaults in PS2.

Planetside has killed round based MP for me. I hopped on for some AK today, and left after I played all the maps. Doubt I'll go back.

mr_nothin

Banned
Planetside has killed round based MP for me. I hopped on for some AK today, and left after I played all the maps. Doubt I'll go back.

Man, just imagine when they add all the certs in a few weeks. Then on top of that, the GAL/Sunderer changes. Then the Base Benefits. Then the revamped resources. Then the new recoil systems. Then the extra continents..... There's so much coming for this game.

Lonestar

Man, just imagine when they add all the certs in a few weeks. Then on top of that, the GAL/Sunderer changes. Then the Base Benefits. Then the revamped resources. Then the new recoil systems. Then the extra continents..... There's so much coming for this game.

All this, then I read a topic from a PS1 vet on the Beta forums, who wrote almost a thesis-worth of reasons that PS2 is inferior to PS1, while never truly realizing it's a beta. An Early Beta.

mr_nothin

Banned
All this, then I read a topic from a PS1 vet on the Beta forums, who wrote almost a thesis-worth of reasons that PS2 is inferior to PS1, while never truly realizing it's a beta. An Early Beta.

Yea, he didnt understand but guess what? It got the CEO of SOE's attention and he posted in there explaining as such. It probably helped us get to them changing the GAL/Sunderer. They probably already had these changes in mind but it was good to know that they noticed/acknowledged the problems.

sp3000

Yea, he didnt understand but guess what? It got the CEO of SOE's attention and he posted in there explaining as such. It probably helped us get to them changing the GAL/Sunderer. They probably already had these changes in mind but it was good to know that they noticed/acknowledged the problems.

I think it's amazing how the CEO of the company talks with people on the forum, while DICE game designers and community managers don't even bother acknowledging most of the problems with the game.

This is probably the best community engagement I've ever seen with a game.

mr_nothin

Banned
I think it's amazing how the CEO of the company talks with people on the forum, while DICE game designers and community managers don't even bother acknowledging most of the problems with the game.

This is probably the best community engagement I've ever seen with a game.

It really is amazing.
A bit of news from Mr Higby:
Another warpgate rotation incoming on beta this week... we'll see how the TR do out in the seabed!
D:
I'm TR...

They also added some cool new features to the beta forums:
RadarX said:
The Official PlanetSide 2 forums now have two new ways to keep up with PlanetSide 2 development. At the top of this forum you'll notice the new SOE Post Tracker which shows developer posts. In addition the right hand side will now display Twitter feeds to help you stay in touch.

Just got done rolling around with the Warpigs Tank Battalion. Holy shit on a stick was it fun. There was also another Tank Battalion rolling around so there was about 30 or so tanks at some battles, it was incredible. I am ecstatic for the new updates, can't wait to have Sunderer spawn support.
Memorable moment of the night: We were moving in on Dahaka and two tanks were just holding the line on TR's end just going back and forth between the shield repairing themselves. We already destroyed all the turrets that were harassing us as we came closer. I command the Battalion to start moving in on the shield door and ask for air support via the Yell command to take down the generator. We take down one tank who didn't back up in time. I notice one of our tanks parked close to the left of the shield and the driver preparing to run in, the other tank awaiting on the other side. I yell "wait...he is..not looking?" the enemy tank preoccupied with planes flying over the tank does not notice this brave soul dash for the generate. He proceeds to blow it up and all 10 of us unload on that single little tank as the shield drops and we devour Dahaka.

On a very nice note there was not one time the mouse disappeared tonight! It was nice being able to drop squad points. Looking forward to being able to drop Platoon points.

fanboi

Banned
I must say... this game is simply amazing.

I got in th Heart Of the Swarm beta which is highly sought after... but yesterday I didn't touch it for one sec... Planetside 2 all the way baby!

Me and a friend was doing this spec ops two man squad and tried take over stuff... awesome.

Also, is there an outfit to join (EU1)?

mr_nothin

Banned
It's crazy to think that the game is as good as it is even in it's current barebones state. We're not even toying around with 3/4's of the certifications & features. This game is going to be insane when it's done.
The devs are headed in the right direction.

Moaradin

I need some group play with some TR guys on West 01. Game is fun and all, but the real meat is with some coordinated teamwork.

Top Bottom