• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

MrBig

I really dont see the big deal with "No Offline Cert Points". Ppl are making too big of a deal out of it really.

Yeah. I don't understand why people are expecting earn anything for not playing the game.

e: also, esamir reveal next friday. Playable soon after.

Jhriad

I really dont see the big deal with "No Offline Cert Points". Ppl are making too big of a deal out of it really.
Smed is really defending their position on this...he's posting like a mad man in that thread lol

Since i'll be subbing it won't affect me but up until now they've talked about the offline cert gain in a way that equated it to training in EVE. So I'm sure some people might be put off now that they are putting it behind a pay wall.

mr_nothin

Banned
Since i'll be subbing it won't affect me but up until now they've talked about the offline cert gain in a way that equated it to training in EVE. So I'm sure some people might be put off now that they are putting it behind a pay wall.

Well they've always stated that there will be offline resource gaining. This is pertaining to offline certs.

I was gaining way too many cert points offline that it felt like I was getting more offline than online.

As much as people like EVE online's system, it does encourage people not to play it when they went for some 1 week skill learning.

Jhriad

Well they've always stated that there will be offline resource gaining. This is pertaining to offline certs.

You don't gain resources offline. You've got cert points and resources confused. Smedley and Higby have both been out there drawing comparisons between EVE and Planetside because you'd be able to "keep up" with your more hardcore friends through offline cert point gain. It has always been the offline component they've talked up.

mr_nothin

Banned
You don't gain resources offline. You've got cert points and resources confused. Smedley and Higby have both been out there drawing comparisons between EVE and Planetside because you'd be able to "keep up" with your more hardcore friends through offline cert point gain. It has always been the offline component they've talked up.

You do gain resources offline. Every single time I come back to Planetside 2, I have full catalysts, polymers, etc. I dont have anything confused.

Jhriad

You do gain resources offline. Every single time I come back to Planetside 2, I have full catalysts, polymers, etc. I dont have anything confused.

Even still the case they've been making was regarding cert points not resources. They're essentially reversing course on what they've been saying since... E3. Had to think about that. It's understandable that some folks are upset.

Edit: Logged in and my catalysts are still below cap from 15 hours ago. On a side note has anyone seen them say what the BR cap is going to be? Just looking at the implants it seems like they're capping at 50.

mr_nothin

Banned
Even still the case they've been making was regarding cert points not resources. They're essentially reversing course on what they've been saying since... E3. Had to think about that. It's understandable that some folks are upset.

Edit: Logged in and my catalysts are still below cap from 15 hours ago. On a side note has anyone seen them say what the BR cap is going to be? Just looking at the implants it seems like they're capping at 50.

Welp, all I can say to that is "things change". It's still the same feature they've talked about...just not free lol
Even then, it's still subject to change. Smed said to throw out ideas rather than criticize/complain.

MrBig

Smedly caved in. Offline certs for everyone :/

we've decided to keep passive cert point gain in for everyone and just make it 50% higher for members (although you can also buy separate)

I've always seen certs as something you have to earn and specialize your character with. With players just constantly raking them in you'll see a whole lot more people running around with everything unlocked a whole lot sooner

mr_nothin

Banned

I've always seen certs as something you have to earn and specialize your character with. With players just constantly raking them in you'll see a whole lot more people running around with everything unlocked a whole lot sooner
Welp this is the 1st disappointing news about that game that I've read....hopefully it doesn't lead to much more.

Everybody uses the excuse of "I have a 50+ hr job and 2 kids so I need passive cert gain so i can keep up with everyone else that's actually playing the game". Well, dont you think you should take care of those things? It kind of pisses me off. You can still play the game in your free time but you shouldnt be able to get stuff handed to you just because. But I'm betting it will be a very low number. I'm also hoping they put in other requirements for some of the certs. I dont want a newbie commander doing nothing but sending in orbital strikes.

I'm also betting that they'll just make the certs require even more cert points (hopefully thats the case!).

MrBig

They're adding in some sort of separate commander experience system so I'm hoping the command cert trees are shielded by whatever system that is. Also they've said higher tier certs will have BR requirements.

mr_nothin

Banned
They're adding in some sort of separate commander experience system so I'm hoping the command cert trees are shielded by whatever system that is. Also they've said higher tier certs will have BR requirements.

Oh yeeaaa, I forgot that certain things require a certain BR so that eases this news a lot lol. Boy are people going to be mad when they find out they cant use their certs unless they gain 20 more BRs lol. I trust SOE completely now after seeing how they operate these past few of weeks. They need things to get the casuals in the game and paying money but then they are also Hardcore gamers at heart so they aren't going to cave in completely. It'll be balanced and fair.

Jhriad

Hopefully they throttle the offline gain back some. It was waaaaay too fast before. Maybe make the offline gain for the subscribers the existing speed and leave a gimped version for non-subscribers.

I dont want a newbie commander doing nothing but sending in orbital strikes.

^This. Command certs/experience are my number two concern, behind bringing back the PS1 intercontinental metagame, at the moment. CR should be fucking earned by hard work, good leadership, and the motherfucking tears of your enemies.

MrBig

Premium membership plans and p2w discussion

Membership benefits; earlier confirmed to be $15/mo
The current plan is to have membership affect your character advancement in three primary ways, each of which will additionally be accessible via a “boost implant” available to all players – yes, this does mean that players who are members will be able to double down on one area if they choose to.

1 – Passive Cert Growth. This is often mischaracterized (by myself as well) as “offline cert points”. It’s actually just passive cert gain that works if you are online or offline. With the current plan all players will gain cert points passively over time at a set rate. Members will get a faster rate. The current penciled in benefit for membership is 50% increase to the speed which passive cert points are granted. This does not affect cert points earned via experience.
2 – Automatic experience boost. Members will accrue experience at a 50% increased rate. This will affect “active” cert point gain, as well as battlerank gain.
3 – Automatic resource boost. Members will accrue resources at a 50% increased rate. This will affect the rate which vehicles can be spawned as well

Additionally:
4 – Increased resource pool caps. As Auraxium is uncapped, this only affects Catalysts, Alloys and Polymers, it’s a 100% increase to those pool sizes. This allows you to spawn some additional vehicles, grenades and consumables if you have no resource income on the map before you’re tapped out.

There is only one boost implant slot so only one of the three benefits may be used at a time.

The next character wipe will be later this week, and servers are going to get actual names, similar to PS1 I'm assuming.

Major updates have been on Wednesdays so I'd assume that's when the wipe will take place and thus when the new certs will be able to be implemented.

mr_nothin

Banned
None of that will affect me. I'll still own all you premiums out there.
Just saw the character wipe news. You know what this means right? They're adding a bunch more certs :D

This game is sooo much better since I've switched back to my East 01 server...probably because I'm on the east coast. Gunplay feels 100x's better. West 01 is laggy as hell for me. I thought it wasnt that bad but with the new recoil system, it really messes up my aim. I'm owning on the East server though. Been playing for HOURS. Really liking the new capture rates and the way influence works.

zedge

Anyone care to share there keyboard layout? I am struggling with the default stuff, not sure where to start to tweak it. Pressing Z to squad chat is kinda annoying.

MrBig

Anyone care to share there keyboard layout? I am struggling with the default stuff, not sure where to start to tweak it. Pressing Z to squad chat is kinda annoying.

Change vehicle interaction (under the vehicle keybinds) to ~ so you don't accidentally press it and eject. Change Squad voip to E (it will overlap the infantry action button since you can't remap that atm, but that hardly matters). Platoon chat on Z, proximity on X.

Planetside 2 has stopped working....

Seems this is an issue with a lot of people with the newest version :(

Yeah, new bugged popped up with last night's patch.

Jhriad

There is only one boost implant slot so only one of the three benefits may be used at a time.

And if you're a member you get the benefit of all three plus you're able to stack a boost implant on top. :D

Still not sure this is worth $15 a month though. I'll pay it but that's only because of my previous association with PS1. There's just something missing about it that makes it feel 'worth it' in my mind.

zedge

Change vehicle interaction (under the vehicle keybinds) to ~ so you don't accidentally press it and eject. Change Squad voip to E (it will overlap the infantry action button since you can't remap that atm, but that hardly matters). Platoon chat on Z, proximity on X.

Yeah, new bugged popped up with last night's patch.

Nice, will try this, thanks.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It'd be nice to have all the certs reverted back to your bank, so we'd all have a bunch of certs that we could try out different things. I know I wasted a hundred or 2 on skills that I never really used.

Should also be able to use the name I really meant to use, as well as consolidate GAF together more.

MrBig

I vote an East server because it's not 1 big clusterfuck that bogs down performance. I get about 10-20 extra fps on East servers vs West.

FPS is completely dependent on population in your immediate vicinity, as your CPU is dealing with all the player and physics data that is sent to you, so big base battles will be a performance hog on any server. There's no way I'm purposefully going to play on an underpopulated server, but it wont be the equivalent of West01 for sure.

Jhriad

I vote an East server because it's not 1 big clusterfuck that bogs down performance. I get about 10-20 extra fps on East servers vs West.

Aren't the big outfits on west 01, except 666 Devil Dogs, east outfits moving back over after the wipe? Thought a few of them only hopped to west 01 because that was the primary dev server. Don't remember where I read that. I'll have to look around.

Pennybags

Aren't the big outfits on west 01, except 666 Devil Dogs, east outfits moving back over after the wipe? Thought a few of them only hopped to west 01 because that was the primary dev server. Don't remember where I read that. I'll have to look around.

For the most part. Another reason for staying on West 01 was that for a long time, it was a lot more stable.

Arksy

So the only way to get a key for this atm is to buy into the alpha squad? I'm interested but unsure if I want to take the plunge with the investment yet.

Jhriad

If there happens to be a Johari or Markov server I'll probably move my TR outfit there. We'll probably need to coordinate which empire outfits are going where in case they restrict you to one empire per server in the future.

So the only way to get a key for this atm is to buy into the alpha squad? I'm interesting but unsure if I want to take the plunge with the investment yet.

They give out keys on twitter and elsewhere but it's hit and miss.

How do I even get a key from the Planetside 2 twitter? I've "tweeted" to them twice, but had no reply. Yet I've seen keys given out in nearly every tweet from their twitter. Am I missing something? I don't use twitter, but I made an account a while ago, though I don't use it. I'm "following" them too. :/

Really wanna get into this beta!!!

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
How do I even get a key from the Planetside 2 twitter? I've "tweeted" to them twice, but had no reply. Yet I've seen keys given out in nearly every tweet from their twitter. Am I missing something? I don't use twitter, but I made an account a while ago, though I don't use it. I'm "following" them too. :/

Really wanna get into this beta!!!
Let me know what works for you, I want to get into this beta too. Same situation, I rarely use twitter.

Might have to demonstrate some "value" to them. Seeing as how you don't use your twitter account, maybe they only hand out X amount of keys a day based on the most "popular" twitter requesters.

Let me know what works for you, I want to get into this beta too. Same situation, I rarely use twitter.

Might have to demonstrate some "value" to them. Seeing as how you don't use your twitter account, maybe they only hand out X amount of keys a day based on the most "popular" twitter requesters.

I will do. I've kinda just been spamming on their twitter page. People are getting em left and right, but not for me lol. :/

I left a message on their FB page asking how the hell I could get one. I got this reply pretty quickly.

"The traffic on Twitter can get pretty intense Nathan! We reply to every post we can, but sometimes we may miss you. Keep trying! ^Sentinel #PS2"

So I've just kept at it, posting my plea lol. Keep doing that dude and let me know if you get one.

hittman

Banned
None of that will affect me. I'll still own all you premiums out there.
Just saw the character wipe news. You know what this means right? They're adding a bunch more certs :D

This game is sooo much better since I've switched back to my East 01 server...probably because I'm on the east coast. Gunplay feels 100x's better. West 01 is laggy as hell for me. I thought it wasnt that bad but with the new recoil system, it really messes up my aim. I'm owning on the East server though. Been playing for HOURS. Really liking the new capture rates and the way influence works.

I always lol when people in the states complain about lag

this and fuel prices. smh

Yay, I finally got a key.

To those who are trying their twitter, literally post a tweet every few minutes and you *should* get one. It took a long ass time, but if you persevere, you'll get one.

Good luck!

mr_nothin

Banned
What do you get on average?

i get about 200+ms which can be annoying, unless local servers are built which i think there are going to be

Not sure but I cant hit shit on West 01, no matter how good my aim is. My KD is 2.0 on West 01 but it's 3.0 on East 02. I take out squads on East 02.

Yay, I finally got a key.

To those who are trying their twitter, literally post a tweet every few minutes and you *should* get one. It took a long ass time, but if you persevere, you'll get one.

Good luck!

Awesome! You came in at a great time too. Mechanics are maturing and there's a BIG update coming in a few days.

Top Bottom