• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

Jhriad

I'll be on Themisto as I've stated above. Jhriad just wants everyone to be split up!

We're already going to be split across factions and eventually you won't be able to have characters from multiple factions on the same server. If we're going to consolidate we need to start consolidating along faction lines. Get that ball rolling early so that we don't get blindsided when they do eventually force one faction per server.

Jhriad

If a large enough GAF community pops up around the game we might consider putting together some sort of GAF Alliance for each faction. In PS1 my outfit was part of an alliance of outfits, The Terran Alliance, that all used the same TS server & a website apart from our own website that we used for planning. Just another idea I thought I might throw out there.

mr_nothin

Banned
Welp, we're a few hours away from the servers opening up :/
Higby said:
We're a few hours from opening up the beta servers today. I'll try to keep everyone as up to date as possible on the status.

KePoW

Banned
Those of you in the beta, how polished/complete do you think the game is to retail release?

Are we talking several months off, or soon?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hard to say, not sure what the final product will look like. Just now getting a large chunk of the Cert's unlocked, perhaps some new weapons. Up till now, most of the vehicles are in the game, but they might have 1/4th of the certs opened for them. There are only a small handfull of weapons for each class. Pretty much everyone's been using the base rifle assigned to each class.

But what I've been playing so far, would be worth paying $15-$30 easy. Maybe it's the new, high powered PC I put together, but it runs excellent, while those with older PC's might have scaling issues.

MrBig

Those of you in the beta, how polished/complete do you think the game is to retail release?

Are we talking several months off, or soon?

They plan to release this year. The game is fairly polished at its base but they have a lot of work to do in features and content. Still several months I would assume.

We're already going to be split across factions and eventually you won't be able to have characters from multiple factions on the same server.

Has this been confirmed anywhere? Why would they bother doing that when people would just create more accounts to easily surpass it

Jhriad

Has this been confirmed anywhere?

Yeah, it was in one of the streams at one point and I'm pretty sure in a forum post as well but I don't have a link on hand. Might've been a tweet from Smedley. Been a little bit since I saw it.

Why would they bother doing that when people would just create more accounts to easily surpass it

Because most people would be too lazy to create another account just so that they can bandwagon onto whichever Empire is doing the best at the moment. If their empire is doing poorly most would either hop to a different continent, server, or simply log off. The extra effort of another account puts it far down the list of options.

MrBig

Yeah, it was in one of the streams at one point and I'm pretty sure in a forum post as well but I don't have a link on hand. Might've been a tweet from Smedley. Been a little bit since I saw it.

Because most people would be too lazy to create another account just so that they can bandwagon onto whichever Empire is doing the best at the moment. If their empire is doing poorly most would either hop to a different continent, server, or simply log off. The extra effort of another account puts it far down the list of options.

Would still like to see all of the GAF outfits on a single server, you would be able to whatever you want on any other server though. Just so that when you want to play with your faction in a GAF outfit you'll be running into other gaffers on the opposing factions.

KePoW

Banned
They plan to release this year. The game is fairly polished at its base but they have a lot of work to do in features and content. Still several months I would assume.

Got it, thanks. I didn't know if it was something that was coming out in like 1-2 months.

Arksy

So I just got my beta key, downloaded and after a LONG downtime got in.

Holy bananas FPS drop. It goes from 60-70 in base to around 8 in a battle.

i7-2600k
8gb ram
6950 1gb

Anyone know any good set ups for someone like me? It's nigh on unplayable atm.

mr_nothin

Banned
Call me crazy but the game feels alot more polished now even though it's buggier. They did a lot of small things for feedback that really help alot...especially in the shooting department!
Guns feel REALLY good now!

Arksy

I've only been playing for an hour or two but the gunplay is fantastic! I didn't expect it to be this good from the videos. Loving it a lot.

mr_nothin

Banned
I've only been playing for an hour or two but the gunplay is fantastic! I didn't expect it to be this good from the videos. Loving it a lot.

You came in at the perfect time. The gunplay had a MAJOR overhaul since the last patch. It's really amazing now. The gunplay was decent but clunky before but now since they've made it recoil based and not spread/deviation based, it's feeling ALOT better. This game just keep getting better and better and better. This is really turning out to be something special.

MrBig

This came a little bit after the servers first opened up earlier today. It was just madness, and I missed the craziest part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSfZjwm46-E

Yeah, I saw this pass by as well
iuczXPcloF0AU.jpg

The new base capture effects are cool
iTLSk11Eo514.jpg

cametall

Has anyone else died while it was night but when you respawned it was early evening? Like time went backwards.

I forget what base I was defending, but at the bottom it was evening, I ran to the top, and it looked like it was late at night. Once it became night it stayed that way unless I died again.

zedge

So how do you guys fly? Mouse and keyboard?

The controls are very difficult to me, is there any tweaks or setups to make it easier?

mr_nothin

Banned
Holy shit, so I didnt notice how long I've actually been playing. I look up and just like that, 8 hours has gone by. You really dont notice because it's a continuous war. I then turn my attention to the leaderboards and :O
#1 in Total Score said:
#2 in Total Kills said:
Only #7 in Total Time said:

I had some REALLY epic moments. I loved just how many ground soldiers there were. Medics reviving everyone and ppl throwing down ammo. This was just playing with randoms too. Giving the Sunderer the AMS/Mobile spawn role was the right way to go. I still see GALs but it's just to drop ppl off and keep moving. Im loving this game so much. Each patch is making it better and better. I like all the little small things they did to spruce the game up with the latest patch and gunplay is increase 10 fold. I cant wait to see what else we have in store.

Also, I think I might have earned about 100 cert points in that session lol

Arksy

I can not believe how good this game is.

Defending a hill top gigantic base from two other factions closing in on you, at night, with tanks shooting entrenched positions while gunships buzzing overhead.....

Simply eye-wateringly epic.

New Conglomerate GAF Warpigs is formed on Thespin.
My username is InfectedZero. Send me a friend invite ingame or PM me here on GAF for a Outfit invite.

Liberty4all

Banned
VS rocked Themisto last night with 50 percent of the population. We had almost the entire map.

As others have said gunplay feels awesome now.

What's up with MAX's though? Couldn't buy them last night

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
New Conglomerate GAF Warpigs is formed on Thespin.
My username is InfectedZero. Send me a friend invite ingame or PM me here on GAF for a Outfit invite.

kept trying FusionZero last night :p

Is it me, or did they increase the textures or AA on the new patch. Strange to say, but the game looks even better than before.

Name is LonestarJones, NC on Thespin.

Strange server names...yay..

zedge

Thespian population is fucked... 50% V about 20% each for NC and TR. Both NC and TR have pretty much been pushed back to their warp gates right now.. :/

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Do you guys know if station cash will be able to be used for the 15 dollar a month option? I have 16k waiting for release

Nope, SoE recently removed the option to purchase subs with station cash (pissing off many people in the process, they also removed the option to purchase expansions with station cash). SoE held triple station cash events that when mixed with walmart's 1500 + 500 bonus station cash cards, gave 6000 station cash for $15. On top of that, SoE would also have half price station cash sales. So the people that horded station cash from the triple SC events were able to have a year's worth of subscription time for only $15.

SoE decided that it was not a good idea for them to do this. I wonder why? lol

Arksy

How do you guys stay in the thick of it? There's so much damn walking/moving that I see action once every 5-10 minutes.

Top Bottom