• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

mr_nothin

Banned
Have they announced when the open beta will start yet? Also, I think I'll absolutely love Esamir.

There's no time schedule for anything yet. They're playing it by ear. We are trying tons of different mechanics every week. They make major changes on a regular basis. It's exciting

There's no time schedule for anything yet. They're playing it by ear. We are trying tons of different mechanics every week. They make major changes on a regular basis. It's exciting

I played the game in my cousin's house a while ago. I want to play this game again dammit.

mr_nothin

Banned
Bahaha! I'll try to be. :) I'll post my thoughts once I'm done. Wish me luck!
Here's a video that gives more info on each faction and vehicles. It's a really good intro video to the game. It's SOE's E3 presentation. Check it out:

Also, I really cannot wait until the game starts looking more like this!
PlanetSide2.jpg

2057614-ncnightrun2.jpg

2057615-ncnighttankrun.jpg

Jhriad

Just logged in and my catalysts are still empty from last night. Pretty sure I was correct that you don't gain resources offline.

mr_nothin

Banned
Just logged in and my catalysts are still empty from last night. Pretty sure I was correct that you don't gain resources offline.

Seems like you might have been right. Might have been buggy but I've received resources offline before....and since the latest patch.

Liberty4all

Banned
Last night was Wierd ... I wasn't seeing anything shooting from my guns although I know they were shootIng (people died when I would fire)

mr_nothin

Banned
Higby said:
Today @ 5pm PDT join our streamed @Planetside2 design meeting, we'll discuss: state of beta, this week's update & more!

www.twitch.tv/las0m

by Matthew Higby about 27 minutes ago

Another design meeting today!! I cant wait...I loved the last one. Should give a lot of insight into what's coming to the beta and the direction they're heading in going forward. They also directly address problems that the community is having with the game.

MrBig

quick notes

Peris amp station design will be propagated to the rest of the amp stations, possible final design
Warpgate redesign. Potential for vehicle griefing reduced.
Infil turret/terminal hacking being implemented
Esamir "next week"
Optimizations for dual core CPUs and other low end hardware
Tech Plants are current base redesign focus. Similar to amp station's objectives
Light Assault getting more abilities to make it more useful
More weapons are going to start being introduced next week
Heavy assault weapons in ~2 weeks
Big patch tomorrow, with the char wipes I would assume
Colored smoke grenades for marking targets
Leadership certs for hotspot style objectives/requests
/yell chat getting team colored
Info about vehicles you own will stay on your HUD after you exit a vehicle
Expandable mini-maps
quick chat menu now functional with VOs
Idle timeouts: stop earning resources after 2 minutes, kick after 10. Takes into account distance traveled and damage taken/done
New player tool tips to explain things
Gens will now have to be set to overload to be destroyed instead of being shot at

New warpgate design and expanded minimap
ibncaPA8W4vpya.jpg

ibpJQbIaj0dVKH.jpg

Brief look at Esamir
iJ06p5OfBFP4I.jpg

They also made it sound like we can't bring vehicles between continents. You will have to access a console at the warpgate pad and the vehicle barriers are still at the base of the new warpgate design.

Recording http://www.twitch.tv/las0m/b/332774696

at 18:24 they answer my fantastic question about being able to fly biolabs

Here's a video that gives more info on each faction and vehicles. It's a really good intro video to the game. It's SOE's E3 presentation. Check it out:

Thanks a lot dude, I will. :)

Just follow people into fights or hop on a random galaxy filling with people ... Nothing more exciting than flying to god knows where then hot dropping into the middle of chaos

Lol! Very true! It's such an insane game. Absolute madness. I just follow people and shoot dudes, while often thinking "holy crap this game looks gorgeous". Really good game so far, just wish I knew wtf was going on sometimes. Capturing points and such, but yeah I'm getting there. :)

mr_nothin

Banned

MrBig

So the update and character wipe will happen tonight. Can people post preferences on servers so that we can have that decided before name squaters jump at any chances and so that we don't have to use a variation on the main gaf server?

How has anyone in the EU's connection to the US east servers been? Good enough to not have a separate EU sever?

You can check server pings at these addresses

east 199.108.194.40, Washington DC

west 64.37.174.142, san diego

EU 195.33.132.168 amsterdam

I'm in Florida and my ping to the West and EU servers is nearly the same, at ~90ms.

Server names:

US East:

Themisto
Leda
Himalia

US West:

Metis
Adrastea
Amalthea

EU:

Thyone
Herse
Chaldene

mr_nothin

Banned
I'm in GA and since the East servers are in Virginia, I'll pretty much be East server exclusive. I'm going with East : Themisto.
Also, I'm TERRAN REPUBLIC!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm in GA and since the East servers are in Virginia, I'll pretty much be East server exclusive. I'm going with East : Themisto.

In Alabama, and West 03 is where I've almost exclusively been on. Haven't had any issues, but I'm adaptable between East/West.

Jhriad

I'll be recreating my TR outfit on Amalthea (unless someone wants me to change it to one of the other West servers for some reason).

EDIT: Changed Server to Amalthea due to request from current member.

In Alabama, and West 03 is where I've almost exclusively been on. Haven't had any issues, but I'm adaptable between East/West.

Been with Lone on West 03 and no problems, I am in Texas. I decided in the end that to me it doesn't matter what server we choose.

Since mr_nothin already chose Themisto shall we go with that?

MrBig

Been with Lone on West 03 and no problems, I am in Texas. I decided in the end that to me it doesn't matter what server we choose.

Since mr_nothin already chose Themisto shall we go with that?

Yeah an East server would be the most central for anyone that would want to play from EU. Themisto does sound the coolest as well

Lonestar

I assume that West 1 was so populated, because of big company's from PS1, as well as where SOE is (San Diego)?

West 3 has had some solid battles, but I haven't seen 10-20 Galaxies flying by. Now, I've seen 20-30 tanks on one side.

What would you say is the largest battle you've seen?

I assume that West 1 was so populated, because of big company's from PS1, as well as where SOE is (San Diego)?

West 3 has had some solid battles, but I haven't seen 10-20 Galaxies flying by. Now, I've seen 20-30 tanks on one side.

Yeah biggest would be 30ish Tanks, 2 Galaxies, 2 Liberators, and like 5 Reavers all together in West 03.

MrBig

When the beta first started West01 was the only working server, and the East servers had major latency issues until recently. Then I guess it was a case of "hey I want to be on server #1!," which I would assume is the reason for moving to named servers instead of numbered.

I've been playing on West01 since it was my original server and so that's where my most progressed character was.

mr_nothin

Banned
Anybody super excited about tonight's update?! I AM!
I'm EXTREMELY excited about next week's though! More weapons, alot more certs, almost all the attachments, and on top of all of that....a new continent and a lot of new UI fixes/changes!
Every week is Christmas

MrBig

Live stream TRay & Higby interview coming in about 15mins:

EDIT:
Holy crap at this stream LOL

Yeah, I'm following them along in a lib switching to the bomber position myself :lol

servers will be taken down at midnight est for the update, wont go up until tomorrow

This video sums up what it's like to play Planetside 2 at times :)

That's a really awesome video. Especially that shot of the quad bike just riding behind the flying ship. :)

Does anyone know how to fix the weird sound issue where it's like the sounds are slowed down? It sounds like they've been slowed down drastically and altered somehow. All in all it really detracts from the gameplay, which is awesome.

One thing I do love, is flying a ship. It feels great and I'm good at it too. :)

Thanks!

Lonestar

yeah, I'd like to get all on the same server, but I know it'd be split up between factions. Not enough Free Agents like myself :p

Got in late on that stream, but it reminded me of that Friday Night Ops stream. Watched a bit of an older one, and it's cool, because of the camera in the sky. Wish I had that ability, it's fun watching battles happen from up there.

mr_nothin

Banned
yeah, I'd like to get all on the same server, but I know it'd be split up between factions. Not enough Free Agents like myself :p

Got in late on that stream, but it reminded me of that Friday Night Ops stream. Watched a bit of an older one, and it's cool, because of the camera in the sky. Wish I had that ability, it's fun watching battles happen from up there.

You missed the funniest parts when Higby was being a troll. Spawning 20 NC GALs in the VS warpgate. Had like 6 of them stacked on top of each other before they all blew up. He trolled a lot.

Lonestar

We (NC) captured Mau, near the TR warpgate. Held it for awhile, wondered where the resistance was.

Ends up, giant tank convoy was killing anything coming out of the warpgate. End of World Warpgate Siege.

mr_nothin

Banned
Wooo Patch Notes:
Planetside 2 Patch Notes said:
General:

New certifications are now available to qualified infantry, pilots, and drivers.
Terran Republic and Vanu Sovereignty researchers have improved a few of their standard issue weapons. They request complete field testing, so good luck with that. Bring a helmet. See details below.

Notable Bug Fixes:

Iron sights now appear on Rocket Launchers.
Command has conceded that soldiers should have the ability to select their deployment point in Instant Action. You will no longer spawn in a different location than what you selected in the menu.
Vehicles should now be detected on the minimap when they are in close range unless they have Stealth certification.

Classes:

Engineers:

Nano Armor Kit technology is now available to all engineers. Certification is required for use. Use caution, they’re tiny.

Combat Medic:

Medic Applicators are now advanced enough to require further certification. These will change heal and revive speeds not to mention increase range.
Instructors at the Advanced Combat Medic Training Facilities have perfected a technique that now makes reviving a MAX unit possible however the stringent requirements will only bring them back at partial health.

Heavy Assault:

Certifying in improvements for the Nanite Mesh Generator will now increase the regeneration rate and may save your life on the battlefield.
With the proper training (certification) Heavy Assault will find the extra 3 pockets hidden on their suit enabling them to carry more rockets. We promise they are there!

Infiltrators:

Stolen encryption data will now allow an Infiltrator to hack an enemy equipment terminal and "liberate" supplies once certified. Many spies died to bring you this information so use it wisely.
Infiltrators may also use similar techniques to hack an enemy turret and higher levels of certification will allow them to do so more quickly. Turning them against your allies, no matter how funny, is strictly prohibited.
New Cloaking tech has now been approved for field testing which once certified will allow an Infiltrator to move much quicker when cloaked. Be warned that early results show a decreased effectiveness in armor when utilizing it. In fact, we can’t find the first few batches, so watch your toes. They’re out there. Just…invisible.
Controversial techniques now allow an Infiltrator to adjust their Cloak to provide more protection against damage. Certification in this skill is being required after the initial test subjects were brutally electrocuted. Whole lab still smells like bacon and regret.

MAX:

New manufacturing contracts will now allow soldiers to purchase a flamethrower for their MAX system for the low low price of 8,000 Auraxium! In unrelated sales, our patent pending” burn creams, ointment and do it yourself skin-graft™ “ kits can be had for the low low price of 9,000 Auraxium.
MAX units now require resources and have a respawn timer.

Vehicles:

There is extra space for more vehicle ammunition! With the proper certification we can show you how to stack, load, and store ammo more efficiently. Check out Relaod Speed increases as well. This may or may not involve the use of ridiculously priced bunjee cords.
Hover Control certifications are now available to show you how to make the Scythe, Mosquito, or Reaver hover better than a drill sergeant over a new recruit. Get trained today!
Due to new military aviation standards, ejection equipment is now available for certified pilots in all aircraft. While there is no dishonor in escape, remember that aircraft will be deducted from your standard pay.
Mineguard Certification is available to mitigate damage to your tank. Don't become a victim and ensure you are prepared. Remember the Nanite Systems slogan: “Mineguard: If it blows up, it’s probably your fault.”
All aircraft now have ECM packages available for Stealth certification to reduce detection range and increase lock on time.
A new alloy whose properties allow it to absorb more damage has been approved for use on all tanks. This will increase every tanks overall resistance to damage. Do not taunt the “new alloy.”
Pilots are now using minor magnetic fields around their aircraft to discourage Flak. As a result this weapon is very slightly less effective than it once was. Seroiusly how much impact will magnets have?
To combat overheating of Scythe and Reaver rocket pods, fire rates have been slowed.
The Skyguard Turret magazine size has been reduced to 40. Additional bolts have better secured it and reduced recoil.

Liberator:

A new resin on the exterior of the Liberator will now protect it better from rockets and missles. Yes, we said resin. Don't ask questions you don't want answers to.

Magrider:

Magburners are now standard issue on all Magrider tanks. Fuel Recycler certifications will not only recharge this ability more quickly but is better for the Auraxian environment.

Prowler:

In response to popular request, the Terran Republic command has authorized the use of additional front armor to increase defense of the Prowler.
The 120mm Prowler rounds have heavier loads which now do splash damage.

Sunderer:

New tech will now require certification to provide resupply and repair. Extended certifications will increase the effective range.
In order to provide additional protection to personnel, Blockade armor has been developed and is available for certification. Try not to get shot too much, we’re still paying for it.
Valuable materials used in Sunderer production are in very short supply increasing the cost of this vehicle from 200 Alloys to 450. Don’t worry, we threw in the pine scented air freshener for free.

Vanguard:

Vanguard Shields are now a certification and item. Please remember to equip this item in order to ensure increased surviviability of the shield. We make a killing in resales.

Weapons:

Vanu Sovereignty scientists have found a way to increase the projectile speed of Vanu infantry weapon projectiles.
Experimentation is being done on light machine gun, carbine, and assault rifle weaponry for recoil. While vertical recoil is much more predictable, horizontal has been slightly increased. To be honest, just hope for a fat target.
New standard ammunition for Terran Republic Carbines, Assault Rifles, and Repeater have adjusted weapon damage.
Vanu Sovereignty Pistols are now doing increased damage. Seriously, Fred was just tinkering with it and bam! Don't touch any of the settings, we still haven't found two of his fingers.
The New Conglomerate and Terran Republic have long been harassed by Vanu Sovereignty Infiltrators and better equipped their infrantry. Long range kills with a sniper rifle may now require an additional shot.

World Design:

Facility Capture times have been changed. They increase based on the amount of influence and size. And before you say it, we verified with all sources and can confirm that is not what she said.
Warp Gate’s have been re-designed. It’s now easier to board your allies’ vehicles with less risk of being run over. Still be sure to look both ways before running out of the spawn area.

MrBig

Does the OP say what the official east and west coast neogaf servers are?

We're just going to try one server, Themisto, on the East coast. If that ends up being a problem for people's connections we can have a West/East/EU server, but I think everyone would rather play together on a single server.

Lonestar

letting my computer finish up the download from work. It'll be late when I get home anyway.

Start deciding where GAF's going to be, GAF!

Jhriad

Start deciding where GAF's going to be, GAF!

Already told some folks in the TR outfit on West 01 that we'd be moving to Amalthea. Since there wasn't any real conversation here beforehand it's probably a little late for me to try to get a hold of them so I'll be sticking with it.

mr_nothin

Banned
They are testing out the servers! They should be up soon!
Love what they've done to the TR music. The choir sounds epic and the strings are louder than before. The brass sounds good too. TR has the best music hands down

Moaradin

I definitely wanna roll with a large outfit this time. Since we were all split up the last time, there was only a squad worth of people in the West 01 TR outfit.

Top Bottom