• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

MrBig

How do you guys stay in the thick of it? There's so much damn walking/moving that I see action once every 5-10 minutes.

Squad waypoints and forward spawns.

The last patch made the sunderer the main way to create forward spawn points instead of Galaxies. What you're seeing right now is no one creating any forward spawns at all because hardly anyone realizes this yet.

We need population caps now. Themisto is ruined. They need to be in by the time Esamir is pushed to beta otherwise it will be even worse

Arksy

Squad waypoints and forward spawns.

The last patch made the sunderer the main way to create forward spawn points instead of Galaxies. What you're seeing right now is no one creating any forward spawns at all because hardly anyone realizes this yet.

We need population caps now. Themisto is ruined. They need to be in by the time Esamir is pushed to beta otherwise it will be even worse

Would love to join you guys but I can't play on US East due to lag problems.

kept trying FusionZero last night :p

Is it me, or did they increase the textures or AA on the new patch. Strange to say, but the game looks even better than before.

Name is LonestarJones, NC on Thespin.

Strange server names...yay..

Yeah I thought I would stick with my original name since I converted from TR to NC after a few days of play when I first got the beta. Ill be on right now for a bit and Ill add ya/accept your invite if you sent one.

mr_nothin

Banned
How do you guys stay in the thick of it? There's so much damn walking/moving that I see action once every 5-10 minutes.

Really? Use Instant action when you 1st join the server. Once you die, spawn at one of the adjacent bases and push forward. Also, use a spawn beacon. If those dont help then get a sunderer (with the respawn/AMS cert) and treat it like a best friend. If none of those help then go back to the warpgate and tag along in a GAL or liberator. Or learn how to fly and use a mosquito for transport.

There is a bit more traveling, as I like to call it, in this game but I actually like that :)
You run into a lot of cool stuff just by walking/driving.

Arksy

Really? Use Instant action when you 1st join the server. Once you die, spawn at one of the adjacent bases and push forward. Also, use a spawn beacon. If those dont help then get a sunderer (with the respawn/AMS cert) and treat it like a best friend. If none of those help then go back to the warpgate and tag along in a GAL or liberator. Or learn how to fly and use a mosquito for transport.

There is a bit more traveling, as I like to call it, in this game but I actually like that :)
You run into a lot of cool stuff just by walking/driving.

Instant Action? Yeah I'm saving up for the spawn sunderer as we speak.

Liberty4all

Banned
I miss galaxy spawns but i can see why they changed it ... Too easy to bring a zillion mobile spawns to the front lines too quickly

Liberty4all

Banned
Nope, SoE recently removed the option to purchase subs with station cash (pissing off many people in the process, they also removed the option to purchase expansions with station cash). SoE held triple station cash events that when mixed with walmart's 1500 + 500 bonus station cash cards, gave 6000 station cash for $15. On top of that, SoE would also have half price station cash sales. So the people that horded station cash from the triple SC events were able to have a year's worth of subscription time for only $15.

SoE decided that it was not a good idea for them to do this. I wonder why? lol

:(. I didn't realize this and bought 60 dollars in station cash last weekend during a "double cash" promo (giving me 12k station cash + 4000 from the alpha pack)

I'm sure though I saw subs that could be bought with station cash for other games.

Edit: shit you are right. I had the option to get double cash or redeem the card for 30 days gameplay. Doh!

Edit: on the bright side I'm going to have lots of station cash to buy skins and xp boosts

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
:(. I didn't realize this and bought 60 dollars in station cash last weekend during a "double cash" promo (giving me 12k station cash + 4000 from the alpha pack)

I'm sure though I saw subs that could be bought with station cash for other games.

Edit: shit you are right. I had the option to get double cash or redeem the card for 30 days gameplay. Doh!

SoE pretty much made the station cash cards worthless with the recent removal options of using SC to purchase sub time and expansions. So unless you want to use the cards to purchase in game fluff crap or can't use a credit card to purchase a subscription, don't purchase the SC cards anymore.

Man this last patch destroyed my framerate. I turned everything to low and it is still running terrible :(. Saw that they are working on a patch though. :)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
wondered where you went. Hope the pop evens out, cause having a constant front line against the TR being 2 zones away from the warpgate isn't fun.

wondered where you went. Hope the pop evens out, cause having a constant front line against the TR being 2 zones away from the warpgate isn't fun.

I jumped into an abandoned Galaxy and started ferrying people to the western tech center and the FPS dipped to around 5FPS while being punished by two AA turrets. It was ridiculous. I wanted to get a Tank Battalion going to break the through the lines of war but there was no way I could play like that. Lets hope the hotfix drops soon.

I had to turn my gfx down, too, and my buddy can't hardly play the game if there is a large battle nearby. I understand software engineering and development can be hell; they have been working this hard for many hours and still there are bugs on many different systems. But the beta rolls on and I'm submitting bug reports and killing TR every chance I get. It's gonna be a lot of fun when the game launches and all these locked things are available.

Animator

They should just stop giving us bullshit "servers will be up in ___ hours" estimates because they never kept that promise ever.

Arksy

Aircraft controls are the worst. Whoever thought mouse should be tied to yaw, without an ability to change it should be shot. -_-

zedge

Aircraft controls are the worst. Whoever thought mouse should be tied to yaw, without an ability to change it should be shot. -_-
Yea I just can't get the controls down. I don't know how people are flying around so well. :-(

MrBig

Yea I just can't get the controls down. I don't know how people are flying around so well. :-(

I've adapted to it and can fly quite well. Be sure to make good use of ctrl/space for maneuvering. Still can't wait for analogue stick support though, because there is no way to "fix" flying with a mouse.

Anyone else getting more terrain displacement issues after the latest patch?

ij1Z8cfvItzHa.jpg

Arksy

These cert prices are INSANE. Over a thousand certs? After a day of playing I've got about 30. Casual players are never going to get anywhere.

Is there a point when I start unlocking a couple more weapons or weapon addons? I saw a video of a different gun with a red dot scope, it looked great. I hate the default weapon we're issued with, I never feel like I can do anything useful with it.

MrBig

I thought I read somewhere they disabled offline cert gaining...

It will be back.

Is there a point when I start unlocking a couple more weapons or weapon addons? I saw a video of a different gun with a red dot scope, it looked great. I hate the default weapon we're issued with, I never feel like I can do anything useful with it.

They have only been balancing the base guns in the beta so far, the expanded arsenal should start testing this week or next week. I don't like the base guns either, since they're designed around being fully automatic while I much prefer slightly more powerful burst/single shot weapons.

Cert points are used to unlock scopes and other attachments and have been available since the start.

Raxious

I got my key yesterday and as I tried to start up the game today, it seems the servers are down :( is there a thread that tells me what the times are that the server is online? I checked the starter post but it didn't hold any info regarding that.

mr_nothin

Banned
I got my key yesterday and as I tried to start up the game today, it seems the servers are down :( is there a thread that tells me what the times are that the server is online? I checked the starter post but it didn't hold any info regarding that.

From SOE. Pretty much stick with this schedule until they notify you, by way of forum posts, otherwise.

"Beta servers will be available Monday through Friday at 6:00 AM PT (3:00 PM CEST) and close at 12:00 AM (9:00 AM CEST). Saturday and Sunday they will be available 2:00 AM PT (11:00 AM CEST) and close at 12:00 AM (9:00 AM CEST). "

My guy got a little confused during creation...

Looks like he has his head on straight at least. He knows wassup :)

Arksy

They have only been balancing the base guns in the beta so far, the expanded arsenal should start testing this week or next week. I don't like the base guns either, since they're designed around being fully automatic while I much prefer slightly more powerful burst/single shot weapons.

I managed to somehow toggle firing mode from automatic to semi-automatic but I can't remember how.

DTKT

Had a fuckin amazing night.

Played in a full 12 player squad with one awesome Squad Leader and mostly everyone listening to orders. We were jumping around bases and it was kick ass. That's where the game really shines, where everyone is coordinated and moving as a group.

Can't wait to try again later this week!

mr_nothin

Banned
no pics no proof

I have video :)

Just imagine 100's of people in a 3 way fight between NC/TR/VS in the open field using trench warfare with turrets setup all around. There's snipers that you can barely see sneaking about and trying to pick you off from behind rock cover. You see dozens of medics running around reviving and healing comrades. There's shells from 30-40 tanks flying about. You see light aircraft giving air support with a liberator or 2 every now and then dropping heavy fire. The fight started in the evening time and went throughout the whole night with fog and tracers flying everywhere! It was literally a warzone. It was so amazing that I had to turn off my hud for a little bit. I'll upload it in about 10 mins. It looked like something that was setup for a trailer but omg it was amazing

I have video :)

Just imagine 100's of people in a 3 way fight between NC/TR/VS in the open field using trench warfare with turrets setup all around. There's snipers that you can barely see sneaking about and trying to pick you off from behind rock cover. You see dozens of medics running around reviving and healing comrades. There's shells from 30-40 tanks flying about. You see light aircraft giving air support with a liberator or 2 every now and then dropping heavy fire. The fight started in the evening time and went throughout the whole night with fog and tracers flying everywhere! It was literally a warzone. It was so amazing that I had to turn off my hud for a little bit. I'll upload it in about 10 mins. It looked like something that was setup for a trailer but omg it was amazing

I need this footage now! Sounds fucking awesome.

Top Bottom