• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
pretty sure I'm nowhere near as good as other people. Already at BR 14? Geez, I'm still on BR 3, and before the wipe, after about 3 weeks, I was at about BR 7!

Left the game a few days ago, felt like I couldn't grasp what the fuck was going on. Kept getting killed, took years to get to anywhere. Twas a nightmare and frustrating as hell.

Skip to today. Reinstalled the game, clicked all icons for the map, joined a cool squad/outfit, took some bases, met cool people, including Mr Nothin, felt useful. All in all, what I've been wanting from Planetside 2.

Thoroughly pleased. :)

Xavien

Well my outfit commander is a bit pissed at the wipe (he grinded cert points since the last wipe to get the Galaxy AMS cert, don't think he understood what "beta" meant :p), but hooray for passive and faster cert gain

mr_nothin

Banned
Now that another wipe is coming, can TR GAF go to Themisto this time? =P

I seriously do not like Themisto anymore. TR's IQ on Themisto has degraded day after day since the wipe. All they want to do is defend The Crown at any cost. It's been pretty horrible the past 4 days. I've heard dozens of ppl on our team say that they just want to defend The Crown even if it costs us all of our resources, and several times it has. There's been Crown-fever in the beta, yes but not like this. It's become too important to many players on our faction. More than half of our faction will be at The Crown while VS & NC push us back to our warpgate. Then we lose The Crown and have to push outward, only for our team to get caught up at The Crown again.

People dont want to push out from Crown either, they just want to defend it. Last night we had +0 on basically everything for about an hour+. Finally after a few hours of frustration, an Outfit got together and actually started to cap territory for us again. I'm going to try another character on another server this week to see which one feels better. Themisto is full of idiots right now, at least on TR.

Moaradin

I don't think it's gonna be very different on any other server honestly. Plus next week we'll have Esamir, so fighting over The Crown won't even be a problem since I imagine most people will be on the new continent for a while.

MrBig

Patch is up for download and patchnotes are available

Just remember that Themisto is just a home base for us to play together. I have several other characters on other servers/factions. We don't actually have to solely settle on any certain server until the beta is over and character wipes are done.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm playing at the moment. The increased rate for this next week seems to be 2 extra cert points per minute.

Jhriad

Decided to log on and see how many certs I've gained since the patch went live. I was shocked to see over 3200 cert points sitting there. Very nice.

Lonestar

wait, what? First the move towards Certs being slow to get, now an overabundance of them?

Not that I'd complain, It's a beta, we all need to try out all the equipment.

Lonestar

would have liked them earlier ;P

One last major test on the current map, before spreading us out with another?

Jhriad

Any word on the NC getting that remote controlled rocket launcher from PS1 again?

I loved that weapon.

Reduce rocket damage to infantry & take away the lock-on shoulder mounted rockets (make them exclusive to the TR) then I'll be all for this.

Liberty4all

Banned
Man I love the faction music. Went to log in but servers are locked. So I listened to the full score of each faction music. TR and VS I love. NC is also "ok".

Anyone else think server populations are noticeably falling off?

No, I've seen some impressive and large battles from all three factions in the past week. Perhaps there is something to people waiting for the next continent to drop until they log back in... *shrug*

On an unrelated note, I wonder if Esamir will have a crazy continent feature like Indar's Crown. The Crown dominates the entire map, strategically, tactically, operationally, and visually.

MrBig

No, I've seen some impressive and large battles from all three factions in the past week. Perhaps there is something to people waiting for the next continent to drop until they log back in... *shrug*

On an unrelated note, I wonder if Esamir will have a crazy continent feature like Indar's Crown. The Crown dominates the entire map, strategically, tactically, operationally, and visually.

Not really. The Crown is really inconsequential and can easily be blocked in to stop it from being useful. The people that spend all their time there are a joke.

Esamir will have much less facilities than Indar, making the battles more spread out, similar to PS1.

And yeah, I'm one the guys holding off for Esamir.

Moaradin

Yea, I think a lot of people are just waiting for Esamir at this point. Characters will get wiped so it may be better to just wait for them.

MrBig

1) is there a third person view option?
No. That has absolutely no place in a MP FPS. It was in PS1 and resulted in corner humping to camp people that can't even see you.

Vehicles do have TP views, press T to go to that.

2) can you customize your guys face, hair and such? (and can you choose to hide your helmet)?

Customization options have not been pushed to the public beta yet. There will likely not be a robust character creation system.

Not really. The Crown is really inconsequential and can easily be blocked in to stop it from being useful. The people that spend all their time there are a joke.

Esamir will have much less facilities than Indar, making the battles more spread out, similar to PS1.

And yeah, I'm one the guys holding off for Esamir.

Calling it inconsequential is a disservice; those players that spend all their their time there have made significant changes to their faction's capabilities. The game is still in closed beta and faction outfits haven't become rightly organized yet, but when they do that big ass mountain in the middle of the map will become a great place for harvesting certs and launching attacks.

MrBig

Calling it inconsequential is a disservice; those players that spend all their their time there have made significant changes to their faction's capabilities. The game is still in closed beta and faction outfits haven't become rightly organized yet, but when they do that big ass mountain in the middle of the map will become a great place for harvesting certs and launching attacks.

There's no room for air staging there. It is of no use for that. Any ground raid moving out from it it open to attack as they will be boxed into the canyon at zurvan or just completely open in the valley going towards rashnu.

Anyone who owns the Crown will have constant attention on them because it is in the center of the map and so it can hardly be used for anything tactical because it's always being contested. If this wasn't constantly true, yes having a tower in the middle of Indar would be quite important.

Any outfit maneuvers involving The Crown consist of bombing it with libs to rake up kills from all the zerging going on at it

The other maps better not be square, because I really don't want to see another The Crown. But I guess that's unavoidable with the faction owned warpgates :/

mr_nothin

Banned

The Crown does nothing. You can get Zurvan, Allatum, & Hvar without ever touching The Crown. Once the Crown is captured, it's basically a defensive base. People dont like to leave that area once they cap it because they're scared to lose it. It has the potential to be useful but as of right now, it's just a place for farming and trying to make it seem otherwise is grasping. Just about every outfit/platoon, I've played with, ignores The Crown and see it as a waste of time because people dont push out from there.

There's no room for air staging there. It is of no use for that. Any ground raid moving out from it it open to attack as they will be boxed into the canyon at zurvan or just completely open in the valley going towards rashnu.

Anyone who owns the Crown will have constant attention on them because it is in the center of the map and so it can hardly be used for anything tactical because it's always being contested. If this wasn't constantly true, yes having a tower in the middle of Indar would be quite important.

Any outfit maneuvers involving The Crown consist of bombing it with libs to rake up kills from all the zerging going on at it

The other maps better not be square, because I really don't want to see another The Crown. But I guess that's unavoidable with the faction owned warpgates :/

All of this is true also and since it's in the middle of the map, it's always a 3 way fight for the most part.

I'll concede my points to be unproven due to a lack of supporting arguments on my end, with the exception of cert gathering, visual distinction, and defensive superiority.

The place is a great cert farm, and properly controlled, can support a sizable increase in outfit training. A squad-wide effort to hold the Crown would mean large certificate increase over a relatively short amount of time. This benefit is sketchy here in beta, and changes to normal cert gain will have likely mirror changes in Crown cert farming. A juiced passive cert gain, like we have now, minimizes the importance of the Crown while a lower rate will make the Crown more attractive. It also provides a near-unchanging small-scale map and situation for defensive and small unit drills. It may be cringe-worthy for some, but the Crown is Planetside 2's CQC environment as conquest mode on map Metro is for BF3.

Visually, I think the Crown looks pretty cool, and unique. From the north, it towers above everything around it. From the south, it stands at the edge of the end of the highlands and is always crackling with AA; the enemy aircraft buzzing around and sometimes exploding like little fireworks. Long-time sieges surround a portion of the Crown and create long columns of armor and troops which are throwing waves of fire against the building. You can see this stuff happening elsewhere, too, but it's not constant. Zurvan and Dahaka or Allaton are more important for different reasons, and they do change hands a lot throughout the day, yet none face the constant large-scale battles that last days at a time.

I don't know, whatever.

mr_nothin

Banned
I'll concede my points to be unproven due to a lack of supporting arguments on my end, with the exception of cert gathering, visual distinction, and defensive superiority.

The place is a great cert farm, and properly controlled, can support a sizable increase in outfit training. A squad-wide effort to hold the Crown would mean large certificate increase over a relatively short amount of time. This benefit is sketchy here in beta, and changes to normal cert gain will have likely mirror changes in Crown cert farming. A juiced passive cert gain, like we have now, minimizes the importance of the Crown while a lower rate will make the Crown more attractive. It also provides a near-unchanging small-scale map and situation for defensive and small unit drills. It may be cringe-worthy for some, but the Crown is Planetside 2's CQC environment as conquest mode on map Metro is for BF3.

Visually, I think the Crown looks pretty cool, and unique. From the north, it towers above everything around it. From the south, it stands at the edge of the end of the highlands and is always crackling with AA; the enemy aircraft buzzing around and sometimes exploding like little fireworks. Long-time sieges surround a portion of the Crown and create long columns of armor and troops which are throwing waves of fire against the building. You can see this stuff happening elsewhere, too, but it's not constant. Zurvan and Dahaka or Allaton are more important for different reasons, and they do change hands a lot throughout the day, yet none face the constant large-scale battles that last days at a time.

I don't know, whatever.
We see your point and we're all basically agreeing that The Crown is a cert point farm. What me and TheBig are arguing is that The Crown is not the be-all-end all base that's going to affect faction-play on the macro level. The Crown isn't necessary to cap territory.

Also, there really isnt much CQC going on at The Crown. Most of the fight happens on the southern slopes. I do see your point though but I think it's something that everyone already knows now.

MrBig

Higby reposted this site, so hopefully they're watching it, as it should be better at surfacing issues than the forum's often nonsensical debates.

Here's an issue I posted
. I abolutely hate the vehicle auto destruct mechanic that they currently use

On another note, I really like that they're using the full map in the respawn menu now. The territory borders still take a small amount of time to render now, after the last patch and subsequent hotfix, as opposed to the fully instant map that we had before though

Liberty4all

Banned
The crown area is a great place to go when you just need some quick action IMHO.

It also is turning out to be one of the iconic bases ps2 will be remembered for

Lonestar

I know The Crown is never going to be about gaining the location for resources, or even using it as a staging location to gather more resources. It's all about setting up a major ongoing battle, for those that just want to battle.

Maybe SOE could set up contests for that location, like "hold the location for 2 hours, and get a in game prize" or something else of that nature. Something to create 1 single battle involving everyone that's logged onto that server.

MrBig

I know The Crown is never going to be about gaining the location for resources, or even using it as a staging location to gather more resources. It's all about setting up a major ongoing battle, for those that just want to battle.

Maybe SOE could set up contests for that location, like "hold the location for 2 hours, and get a in game prize" or something else of that nature. Something to create 1 single battle involving everyone that's logged onto that server.

Yeah, I must admit the first major battle I had their was incredibly fun. That battle was actually streamed by Higby back when the beta first started.

I can see it taking that kind of role, there has already been a charity event in which some guys held the Crown for some amount of time, it was featured on the last FNO.

Ryan_

What's this with the servers being locked?

Just got in and downloaded the beta but I can't create a character.

Keasar

What's this with the servers being locked?

Just got in and downloaded the beta but I can't create a character.

They are usually not up unless during the weekends and during certain times on weekdays. Wait another from now one and a half hour, they should be (if following the usual schedule) up by then.

Gah, really have a love/hate relationship with this game. Mainly hate.

My experience is generally, join game, join squad hoping to find others who'd like to work together, no one talks in the chat or says anything worth paying attention to. No one wants to answer my questions as to who would like to work together, mission objectives and all that. This game just falls apart for me if I don't have players to work with. Otherwise it's just me getting a fucking firefight and getting killed with no sense of team work at all.

I had a great team experience last week when I did some great team work with other like minded people, but finding anyone else like that is rare.

Pennybags

Gah, really have a love/hate relationship with this game. Mainly hate.

My experience is generally, join game, join squad hoping to find others who'd like to work together, no one talks in the chat or says anything worth paying attention to. No one wants to answer my questions as to who would like to work together, mission objectives and all that. This game just falls apart for me if I don't have players to work with. Otherwise it's just me getting a fucking firefight and getting killed with no sense of team work at all.

I had a great team experience last week when I did some great team work with other like minded people, but finding anyone else like that is rare.

Play with GAF or play with an outfit.

I'm on the same server (Themisto?) as Gaf, but I'm not sure how to join you guys or the outfit here. Would definitely improve the experience.

I've seen MrNothin on Themisto, but not talked.

MrBig

@mhigby

Patch this week will be dope: New Continent, new weapons, increased server and continent caps, performance fixes and more. I'm stoked!

Interesting. They playtested what was supposed to be this build over the last weekend and it went well, so hopefully they don't try to shove in anything that will break something completely unrelated and can deliver it on time this Wednesday :)

MrBig

Where is this darned patch!
@j_smedley

Big patch later this week (shooting for late Thursday Night) with Esamir and a whole bunch of goodness.
New land is supposed to be "wintery" right?

ibyj4URPklEYBU.jpg

idHjeYATBRCjN.jpg

Lonestar

Now, there were duststorm like effects in the northern parts of the map. Wonder if we'll get some falling snow, or blizzard type conditions.

MrBig

Now, there were duststorm like effects in the northern parts of the map. Wonder if we'll get some falling snow, or blizzard type conditions.

Proabably just more wind effects and the normal fog. They're doing a full weather system after launch.

Speaking of which, that, or at least open beta, may not be too far off

@j_smedley
we are preparing to handle up to 500k CCU for launch worldwide. More if needed.

Also Australia server hardware is being shipped there right now.

@j_smedley
@SankakuGames as of this next patch we have pop caps in place per empire to insure we don't get too many of one empire on one continent

There will be a single US West and a single EU server that has Indar and Esamir available with tomorrow night's patch, initially. Population caps on servers are going to be be raised from the current settings and they will add more servers as load requires it, as not to spread the testing population too thin.

Wes

venison crêpe
Oooh a 156kb patch! ¬_¬

I've been playing on that USE server a lot but never see anyone else from GAF on there. I normally end up in a platoon by guys from ECS-Platoon whoever they are.

Top Bottom