• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

Jhriad

Depends on the faction. Amalthea if you're TR. We're going to be changing things around once the wipe hits. On that topic, will there be one US server (West) or two (West & East) after the wipe? If two, are the TR going to stay East? I'd like to get a few more GAF folks in the outfit so we can start running two squads at peak.

mr_nothin

Banned
New land is supposed to be "wintery" right?

If you want to see a preview of it, Higby is doing a patch preview stream tonight. Showing off new weapons, Esamir (new continent), new base capture mechanics (!), and other things.

www.twitch.tv/las0m

Should be starting shortly. It's a little delayed because he's trying to work out driver problems atm.

MrBig

Depends on the faction. Amalthea if you're TR. We're going to be changing things around once the wipe hits. On that topic, will there be one US server (West) or two (West & East) after the wipe? If two, are the TR going to stay East? I'd like to get a few more GAF folks in the outfit so we can start running two squads at peak.

There will only a be a single US server initially, a west server. We won't settle on anything until they've determined how many servers are optimal for the current beta load.

From the current people who have signed themselves onto the google spreadsheet most people are on the East coast, but thats a very small sample group.

Can't wait to install my new processor so I can actually play this game decently.

Right now I'm using an AMD Dual Core processor and I get 30fps in low traffic areas and 10fps maximum in biggish battles.

AMD Phenom X4 965 should change this as it's a quadcore with 3.4ghz :O

MrBig

8 passive certs awarded per 24 hours; after 24 hours of not logging in you will stop receiving cert points.
2 new sidegrade weapons of each type. No new weapons types available (shotguns etc)
Generators must be overloaded rather than shot at
Icons added to shields to denote which generator controls them
It will never become fully night on Esamir due to the position of the sun.

Esamir will have tunnels below bases and slopes of snow leading up walls in some places
You will only gain resources from the cont you are currently playing on
In this patch, warping between conts is done at a terminal in the warpgate spawnroom
Gal spawning is still disabled

Recording of the stream http://www.twitch.tv/las0m/b/334355361

iirDfJwu5K5J5.jpg

ibyg8aD6ZNjGOL.jpg

iYn1qrvv69C2z.jpg

iwpWErMjxGfJ3.jpg

ibrwJ0MhWAECYc.jpg

iboDUX7l0c9isD.jpg

iAfrZwxJKs2U9.jpg

iTACAPSrFVmyf.jpg

ibmYXWH29gHKUY.jpg

iCIbHwySmYC2p.jpg

ib0XaVaxXMjY9Q.jpg

ibgAu32sYGp7hS.jpg

ihgSVER9mfdNY.jpg

8 passive certs awarded per 24 hours
2 new sidegrade weapons of each type. No new weapons types available (shotguns etc)
Generators must be overloaded rather than shot at
Icons added to shields to denote which generator controls them
It will never become fully night on Esamir due to the position of the sun.

I'll watch the video again later, didn't make a list as I watched it. http://www.twitch.tv/las0m/b/334355361

That's great, thanks for posting this earlier. I was on the train ride home and I couldn't see the stream, but this thread delivered with info and pictures. I hope some of the max suit certs and infantry AA get unlocked for this big patch. Maybe the odd-looking Lasher?

mr_nothin

Banned
Played with The English Conquistador and had a lot of fun. Was great having someone extra so we could work together and towards the same objectives.

Also, I'm watching what I missed earlier in Higby's stream and it seems like we'll be able to warp to Esamir at the warpgate and Esamir wont be pushed off onto another server. Awesome. I bet thats why they delayed Esamir for so long.
Esamir looks amaaazzziiinngggggg. All of the trenches and underground hallways that lead into bases. Man I cant wait until Friday!

Played with The English Conquistador and had a lot of fun. Was great having someone extra so we could work together and towards the same objectives.

Also, I'm watching what I missed earlier in Higby's stream and it seems like we'll be able to warp to Esamir at the warpgate and Esamir wont be pushed off onto another server. Awesome. I bet thats why they delayed Esamir for so long.
Esamir looks amaaazzziiinngggggg. All of the trenches and underground hallways that lead into bases. Man I cant wait until Friday!

Yup, mr_nothin and I were absolutely killing it last night on ps2. Had our own cool objectives, helping out others along the way. Twas so darn badass! Army of Two PS2 Edition!

Friday is gonna be so awesome! Snow is the best kinda climate to play in imo. It looks so purdy!

zedge

Game seems a lot buggier lately. Missing textures inside spawn rooms, disappearing sights on weapons, odd random sound effects To name a few. I know its a beta but should it not be getting better?

mr_nothin

Banned
Game seems a lot buggier lately. Missing textures inside spawn rooms, disappearing sights on weapons, odd random sound effects To name a few. I know its a beta but should it not be getting better?

The more content they add, the more bugs that will show up. They'll try to fix the old ones but new ones will always pop up. Expect plenty of bugs with this weeks patch since a huge part of it is new content. But yea, it's a beta ;) Just report the bugs that you see when you can.

Darknight

Can someone tell me why I can run this game @ 1080P in High settings but cant on BF3 on High @ 1080p??? Isnt this game really demanding? I got SLI GTX460 v2 (i5 2500k/8GB ram) and it runs smooth. No OC on anything.

MrBig

Can someone tell me why I can run this game @ 1080P in High settings but cant on BF3 on High @ 1080p??? Isnt this game really demanding? I got SLI GTX460 v2 (i5 2500k/8GB ram) and it runs smooth. No OC on anything.

This game is CPU limited, BF3 is GPU limited. Your 2500k is serving you better than your 460s.

e: HA weapons are still a week or two away

and of course delayed

@mhigby

Looks like the patch is going to have to be postponed until tomorrow night. Still working out some last minute issues.

Jhriad

Just checked to see if the servers were still down only to realize they never went down. You know what would be great? If they used their official fucking forums to update people on the patch deployment being postponed instead of forcing me to scan through twitter accounts. I don't use twitter, none of my friends or family do, and I don't plan to start anytime soon. At least put the same information through official channels as well.

Fucking hell.

Just checked to see if the servers were still down only to realize they never went down. You know what would be great? If they used their official fucking forums to update people on the patch deployment being postponed instead of forcing me to scan through twitter accounts. I don't use twitter, none of my friends or family do, and I don't plan to start anytime soon. At least put the same information through official channels as well.

Fucking hell.
I just use this post for updates because some one will post quotes and whatnot :). Which is awesome since I'm usually on my phone.

mr_nothin

Banned

Fucking hell.

Well they do have the twitter updates & tweets right there on the forums :p
Also, it seems as if the amount of ppl will at least double over the next day or 2. They are doing another interval for letting ppl into the beta (ppl that registered) and they are also sending out beta keys to everyone that's already in the beta. All of this on 1 server will be crazy.

Moaradin

So, is the patch going to be available Friday night, playable Saturday morning? Or is it Saturday night, Sunday morning. The tweet wasn't very clear on that.

MrBig

Anyone else getting stuck at 100% textures while starting up the game?

This usually relates to server connection issues

So, is the patch going to be available Friday night, playable Saturday morning? Or is it Saturday night, Sunday morning. The tweet wasn't very clear on that.

If it isn't delayed again we will be able to play on it tomorrow morning.

Wes

venison crêpe
They're sending out a new wave of invites over the weekend and every current tester should be getting an invite to send to someone.

MrBig

Man Esamir is looking really good but they really need to outsource their trailer work though because all of their trailers suck so much. That trailer was anti-climatic and seemed like it needed about 30seconds - 1 minute more to the trailer actually showcasing action/teamwork. That seemed more like a fanmade trailer.

Indeed they do

e: missed this post by Higby with some changes...

Resources will now be bucketed into three use categories, Aerospace Materials, Mechanized Materials and Infantry Materials. All aircraft will use Aerospace Materials, all Infantry consumables will use Infantry Materials, etc.

Based on what we were able to learn over the last week we're going to be continuing to modify [cert] costs, adjust cert power and in some cases removing or consolidating certain cert lines where they don't feel like they're worth the time investment to earn them.

We're really interested in seeing what we can learn from Esamir so that we can use that knowledge to make Indar and Amerish more fun.

servers being brought down for the update. Download is available now, 5gb compressed.

And another interesting thing

mr_nothin

Banned
Servers are back up and I'm not at home and I'm stuck at the office editing a video for the next few hours! I havent even started the 5gb update :/

Good thing I have 50mbit connection at home!

MrBig

lol, took me a while to figure out how to get on esamir.

Yeah this terminal thing is just temporary, a way for them to easily patch it together without separate servers.

Esamir has been absolutely fantastic, both in gameplay and visually.

Another thing I want to note is that clouds are not terribly ugly anymore, they're quite nice now. There's a lot of really nice updates in this patch, although not so much the grav lifts colors being swapped...

I'll be posting pics in the hi-res pics thread throughout the day

e: I'm in a squad with Luperza, she's streaming

mr_nothin

Banned
Yeah this terminal thing is just temporary, a way for them to easily patch it together without separate servers.

Esamir has been absolutely fantastic, both in gameplay and visually.

Another thing I want to note is that clouds are terribly ugly anymore, they're quite nice now. Theres a lot of really nice updates in this patch, although not so much the grav lifts colors being swapped...

I'll be posting pics in the hi-res pics thread throughout the day

You're making the wait even harder!
Also, they're trying to move towards volumetric clouds :)

MrBig

DUSTY SCREEN SO REAL

this terrible bokeh effect needs to go

e: cleaned up the OP a bit, updated some things, and added some content for Esamir. Still waiting on open beta/things to get solidified before I re-write everything

Jhriad

I'll be logging in to recreate the outfit and start playing. Any TR that wants an invite just holler at me ingame (my name is the same) or say something here and I'll make sure our guys know to shoot you an invite whenever they see you online.

Also, I picked up a teamspeak server several weeks ago for outfit use just so you know what voice comms we'll be using.

docbon

I don't mind rolling a character on a US west server at all if we can get a coordinated group going.

edit: only two servers anyway? nice.

Atrophis

Damn only just started the download, gonna take ages with my net issues :(

Ive played the last few days but I'm yet to play in any impressive enormobattles. I understand populations have been down waiting on the patch so hopefully I'll get a chance to experience the game proper.

How many continents are going to be in the game at launch. Four?

Top Bottom