• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Damn only just started the download, gonna take ages with my net issues :(

Ive played the last few days but I'm yet to play in any impressive enormobattles. I understand populations have been down waiting on the patch so hopefully I'll get a chance to experience the game proper.

How many continents are going to be in the game at launch. Four?

I think 3, but I also want to say they aren't sure they'll get the 3rd done before "launch" so it might be an early add on.

Yeah, pop seems down, I assume most are like me. Played it alot, didn't want to get burned out, and wanted to wait on new weapons and map.

How much SOE Bux will the weapons cost?

Me and a group flew about 20 galaxies into the VS base earlier, the sky was alive with explosions and debris. Seems their screenshot key bind is busted though :(

MrBig

Damn only just started the download, gonna take ages with my net issues :(

Ive played the last few days but I'm yet to play in any impressive enormobattles. I understand populations have been down waiting on the patch so hopefully I'll get a chance to experience the game proper.

How many continents are going to be in the game at launch. Four?

Play with public platoons and outfits to find the big battles. Don't even have to join one, just find a stream and follow them around with some friends or something. The systems for finding where the frontlines are have not been put in to place. 3 continents should be available by the end of this year.

Only two servers right now and they are both full. :(

yeah so lame, I was pumped to check out the new zone

They hugely increased the server pop limits and are doing a stress test on the one US/one EU server. If they pushed it to the limit there could be at least 4000 people per server. There is a problem that is displaying them as full when they are not, the servers were just pulled down for a patch.

How much SOE Bux will the weapons cost?

Unkown. I sure do hope that weapons purchased with real money are account wide though, and not char specific.

Xavien

Looks like they took the servers down due to population balance issues, on the EU server the NC had VS (my faction) and TR gate-locked on Esamir and on Indar, VS had gate-locked NC and was well on the way to gate-locking TR.

Yeah... the Population balance caps didn't seem to work, if anything it got a lot worse :p

Moaradin

Looks like they took the servers down, on the EU server the NC had VS (my faction) and TR gate-locked on Esamir and on Indar, VS had gate-locked NC and was well on the way to gate-locking TR.

Yeah... the Population balance caps didn't seem to work, if anything it got a lot worse :p

It was exactly the same on the US server. Looks like there was definitely something wrong with the Population balance.

Atrophis

Play with public platoons and outfits to find the big battles. Don't even have to join one, just find a stream and follow them around with some friends or something. The systems for finding where the frontlines are have not been put in to place. 3 continents should be available by the end of this year.

Yeah I've been joining the public plats but still not seen anything to the scale of some of the shit I've seen on streams or that youtube vid someone put up a few pages back. When the servers go back up and everyone is crammed onto two servers I hope we get some crazy stuff going down.

mr_nothin

Banned
Seems as though I wasnt the only one experiencing severe lag. There's a fuckton of lag going on right now. Players loading 15ft in front of me, spotting is delayed, hit indicators are delayed, shots not registering, players warping around everywhere.

:( Game is unplayable right now for me.

Moaradin

Seems as though I wasnt the only one experiencing severe lag. There's a fuckton of lag going on right now. Players loading 15ft in front of me, spotting is delayed, hit indicators are delayed, shots not registering, players warping around everywhere.

Yea, I started getting that later on as well. Despite that, I still had a blast. Biggest battles so far on Esamir.

Jhriad

Starting to see it myself. Pretty bad.

Jhriad

Probably because it's prime time now and everyone's stuff on one server

It was worse than just primetime. Almost everyone on my screen was teleporting, shots wouldn't report hits for several seconds, 5 second delay on chat, etc. Even had a flying vanguard that was doing flips for a bit. It's weird because I can look over at FiestaWagon's screen and he wasn't having any of those issues.

I randomly got ejected from a full galaxy and we all fell to our deaths.

Atrophis

Actually starting to get a feel for the flow of battles. Our squad is avoiding the zerg and taking facilities on our own. Also helps I learned how to get into places using the teleports XD

Liberty4all

Banned
Actually starting to get a feel for the flow of battles. Our squad is avoiding the zerg and taking facilities on our own. Also helps I learned how to get into places using the teleports XD

I live for the squad in squad combat that initially results. Especially when it escalates into a full blown battle with reinforcements air and armour starting to roll in from both sides. An epic battle YOU and your buddies started.

Atrophis

I didn't know it at the start of the night but I've been involved in an Outfit's open squad night. We started off with two bases and pushed out against an even pop TR and ended up with six.

This engine is some kind of miracle. Amazing looking battles, hundreds of players and not a hint of lag. Very impressed.

EDIT: Got a spare beta key by email. Check your email folks :D

Soodes

Just got a beta key from a friend, though the performance is ridiculously bad on my PC. My gtx 660 TI has around 20-40% usage resulting in about 10fps.

Also running the newest drivers, any known tips or tweaks? :(

MrBig

Just got a beta key from a friend, though the performance is ridiculously bad on my PC. My gtx 660 TI has around 20-40% usage resulting in about 10fps.

Also running the newest drivers, any known tips or tweaks? :(

GPU usage will be limited if the CPU is doing too much to send it all the frame data it needs. What is your CPU?

Jhriad

My performance has actually seen a slight decrease since the start of beta. Still in the acceptable range but I worry it might slip further.

MrBig

It's a Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.9 Ghz so shouldn't be too bottlenecked by it

You shouldn't be ~10fps, but that CPU is what is limiting you. Try deleting useroptions.ini in the install folder. There were a bunch of people that had some issue with something limiting them to 8-12 fps on different systems. Otherwise go to the forum and ask there

Shai-Tan

Banned
You shouldn't be ~10fps, but that CPU is what is limiting you. Try deleting useroptions.ini in the install folder. There were a bunch of people that had some issue with something limiting them to 8-12 fps on different systems. Otherwise go to the forum and ask there

That CPU is perfectly fine. I play on a Phenom II 945 x4 that is only 3ghz w/6950. It's most likely a GPU driver problem that could be solved by trying a different driver (sounds like bad power management) . I made sure to have Nvidia and AMD between my two systems. If one doesn't work the other usually does :) Also you would think newer drivers would work better but they often introduce bugs trying to do shady things to make performance better

Nymerio

Are there any performance tips floating around? I tried messing with the render quality but I'd rather not play the game at all than play at 60%, not that it brought much of a performance boost anyway. I'm playing on an i5 750 with a 570gtx, ssd and 8gb ram. I guess that i5 is a bottleneck?

Hey fellow gaffers finally got in and jumped on for a little tonight - loving it so far. It looks great plays smooth and is massive. I didn't ever play ps1 but I am very excited to play more of ps2

MrBig

Why do they shroud all of this in incredibly thick fog at all times?

xNY2m.jpg

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I just got in to this recently.

It seems pretty much every time I go on, the servers are full. Is there some sort of expectation that I should only be looking to play at certain times or something? Not that it's a huge deal or anything, but I'd rather not have to login at multiple random times each night to see if I can sneak in. Is there some system to it?

MrBig

Because we want weather effects and weather effects are supposed to get in the way!
I actually like it :D

Maybe they can tone it down a bit sometimes during the day.

I agree that it does look good but right now it's constantly super thick. There needs to be times when it's almost completely clear, but not as much as that shot, in which I just completely disabled fog. It fell like I was in the battle at Hoth while I was attacking the tech plant with it off

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I just got in to this recently.

It seems pretty much every time I go on, the servers are full. Is there some sort of expectation that I should only be looking to play at certain times or something? Not that it's a huge deal or anything, but I'd rather not have to login at multiple random times each night to see if I can sneak in. Is there some system to it?

SOE is doing a load test right now, so there are only 2 servers so that they can easily max them out. It'll be like this for a few more days. Server queues are coming soon, right now you just have to mash play if it's full

Darknight

So my character got deleted and Im guessing due to the new map/changes or its typical for this beta.

So i updated this afternoon and my character slot is gone. And I try to make a new character with my old name but now I cant use my username that I had like 1-2 days ago since its states "name already taken"! So is my old character still in the server data base? I dont want to make a new one with a new name as I liked my old user name. Am i screwed and just have to use a new name?

Deadly

So my character got deleted and Im guessing due to the new map/changes or its typical for this beta.

So i updated this afternoon and my character slot is gone. And I try to make a new character with my old name but now I cant use my username that I had like 1-2 days ago since its states "name already taken"! So is my old character still in the server data base? I dont want to make a new one with a new name as I liked my old user name. Am i screwed and just have to use a new name?
There was a wipe but I didn't have any problems getting the name I had =/

I rolled TR but the servers always full :(

Top Bottom