• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

mr_nothin

Banned
Why does TR have such tunnel vision? It's starting to piss me off. We have no territory anywhere and ppl just keep fighting at the same places when we could be pushing weaker fronts that will allow us to expand out but noooo...lets keep dying in the same spot.

EDIT:
So maybe I spoke too soon...
We were basically warpgated and had no resources coming in. Everybody started to talk at the warpgate and we all came together to put together the biggest convoy that we could possibly make and we ended up gaining most of our territory back lol
That was pretty awesome. I guess lots of others were feeling the same way I was feeling. Felt good to actually have everybody stop and figure out wtf we were going to do and it worked!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Made another LonestarJones on NC, but there needs to be some coalescing of people sometime!

Wes

venison crêpe
Cheers for the invite. Got discouraged after being dominated by NC. I haven't found my niche role in this game yet. I used to only play Infil in the original but I'm not feeling it at the moment. Will try medic again on this round of characters.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy medic the most but I end up being medic in every game so I was trying to avoid it for as long as possible. it helps that light assault has a jetpack.

Deadly

I keep shooting on my teammates, the enemies and allies aren't very distinguishable from eachother. Except maybe the Vanu who has suped up armor and stuff

Jhriad

Cheers for the invite. Got discouraged after being dominated by NC. I haven't found my niche role in this game yet. I used to only play Infil in the original but I'm not feeling it at the moment. Will try medic again on this round of characters.

Yeah, the infiltrator in PS1 had a larger role to play than just sniping and hacking terminals. Hopefully they expand the cloaker out to what it used to be.

Awesome. Thanks Lonestar. Just hope you are a TR otherwise you just reinforced the enemy. ;)

I really love the fact that they reduced the number of servers. Every time I've played (TR EU server) I was able to join a good squad and today we even had a fully outfitted platoon taking territory on Esamir like crazy. Trying to convince my friends (mostly Battlefield and COD players) to try it out.

MrBig

Can anyone who didn't keep the same character name as before post what their new one is? I'll edit the spreadsheet.

To any new players that just got in, add yourself to the GAF repository here and add other GAF guys from your faction/server to your friends list

beta key:

When is the new map available?

Go to the new terminal in the warpgate spawn room

docbon

looks like the thebes gaf outfit is steadily increasing in size. hoping to get some organized assaults going, instead of getting caught in the massive zergs. They can be fun, but they get to be pretty exhausting after a while.

Jhriad

looks like the thebes gaf outfit is steadily increasing in size. hoping to get some organized assaults going, instead of getting caught in the massive zergs. They can be fun, but they get to be pretty exhausting after a while.

Yeah, I'd like to do some real organized Ops we just need to get more of us online at one time and we need more folks on Teamspeak.

Moaradin

Shot a Scythe from a good distance away. Felt good.

iPy0cVyN00OH4.gif

Any idea when this is going to move out of beta? I own 'Alpha Squad' or whatever, but I don't want to invest all this time in a beta knowing that there's probably going to be a stat wipe.

I was a huge PS1 fan, so I'm waiting on this anxiously.

MrBig

Any idea when this is going to move out of beta? I own 'Alpha Squad' or whatever, but I don't want to invest all this time in a beta knowing that there's probably going to be a stat wipe.

I was a huge PS1 fan, so I'm waiting on this anxiously.

They don't have an internal release date and the game will only have a "soft release" whenever they think it's ready to let anyone play it. Target is before the end of this year, after Amerish has been pushed to Beta.

Liberty4all

Banned
Hope the fix population caps soon. Tonight was ridiculous with NC with almost 70 percent of Esamir pop ... They steamrolled everyone.

mr_nothin

Banned
I made a thing

based on Amerish
Nice!

There's an East Coast Server being brought up tomorrow, I cant wait! Too bad I'm going to have to leave my BR11 character behind :(

And tonight, the TR did something extraordinary. We took Indar Excavation Site from the VS. Ok, that in itself isnt special but it was a battle of infantry vs TANKS.
VS literally had dozens and dozens of tanks coming from Indar Ex. Site. We had a bunch of heavies and AA maxes and held the Coramed Labs with that
for a 1 hour.

They finally ran out of resources to the point where we got them down to about 10-20 tanks. We decided to foot zerg it across the field, going from cover to cover.
Each time we would get behind cover engineers would drop ammo, heavies and maxes would setup, and engineers would repair the maxes.

We inched closer and closer to the base and after that 1 hour of holding Med Labs...we finally pushed into Indar Ex. Site and wiped them out completely.
We took out so many tanks and aircraft.

We were taunting the VS and asking them why they were so scared of a bunch of infantry. They would just sit out 300-400+ meters and shoot at us.
They took a bunch of us out and a few of them mowed us down with their tanks. It felt so good pushing a convoy of tanks back with your teammates right beside you working together.

If you're a TR that has fought on the west side of Indar you would know why this felt so great. Today was like groundhog day...we just kept doing the exact same thing
over and over when going up against VS. We would make it up to West Highlands only getting pushed back all the way to Coramed labs, by a convoy of 50 tanks.
This happened about 6-8 times over the course of the day. I was so pissed off at the fact nobody seemed to know wtf to do.

But yea, needless to say. It was an amazing night! I got about 100 kills in about 45 mins. I didnt even realize how much aircraft I was taking out.
More ppl need to use the AA maxes! I've just now discovered just how fun it is.

georgc

Nice!

There's an East Coast Server being brought up tomorrow, I cant wait! Too bad I'm going to have to leave my BR11 character behind :(

And tonight, the TR did something extraordinary. We took Indar Excavation Site from the VS. Ok, that in itself isnt special but it was a battle of infantry vs TANKS.
VS literally had dozens and dozens of tanks coming from Indar Ex. Site. We had a bunch of heavies and AA maxes and held the Coramed Labs with that
for a 1 hour.

They finally ran out of resources to the point where we got them down to about 10-20 tanks. We decided to foot zerg it across the field, going from cover to cover.
Each time we would get behind cover engineers would drop ammo, heavies and maxes would setup, and engineers would repair the maxes.

We inched closer and closer to the base and after that 1 hour of holding Med Labs...we finally pushed into Indar Ex. Site and wiped them out completely.
We took out so many tanks and aircraft.

We were taunting the VS and asking them why they were so scared of a bunch of infantry. They would just sit out 300-400+ meters and shoot at us.
They took a bunch of us out and a few of them mowed us down with their tanks. It felt so good pushing a convoy of tanks back with your teammates right beside you working together.

If you're a TR that has fought on the west side of Indar you would know why this felt so great. Today was like groundhog day...we just kept doing the exact same thing
over and over when going up against VS. We would make it up to West Highlands only getting pushed back all the way to Coramed labs, by a convoy of 50 tanks.
This happened about 6-8 times over the course of the day. I was so pissed off at the fact nobody seemed to know wtf to do.

But yea, needless to say. It was an amazing night! I got about 100 kills in about 45 mins. I didnt even realize how much aircraft I was taking out.
More ppl need to use the AA maxes! I've just now discovered just how fun it is.

We got that? Sweet, I had to leave and couldnt finish the fight but I was there when we worked our way to the base and were getting everything that came out of the shield doors.

Apparently a nice wave of beta invites went out at around 8PM. All three of my friends and I who applied got in, so I'm assuming it was a substantial number of invites. That, or we're lucky. Oh well - looking forward to trying this out!

PatzCU

Alright, I finally got to give PS2 a whirl last night after months of waiting and anticipation. Honestly I wasn't impressed in the slightest, especially after seeing the glowing E3 impressions. I went into this expecting sub-par graphics and general gunplay knowing that they are trying to pull off a huge technical feat with a massive FPS. Unfortunately, it seems that huge technical feat goes to waste as all I could see happening were massive zerg waves back and forth.

Maybe the appeal of zerging is lost on me now after almost a decade of MMO's. The big battle fun wears off really quick in PS2 after about 5 minutes. It's at that point I realized there was no point in killing invaders of my base because for every person I killed, 3 more would take their place. In a game that allows essentially instant respawns, it just comes down to a numbers match. Who can roll in with the most tanks, planes, APCs, and infantry wins.

I'm not going to give up on Planetside 2 just yet as I do need to learn more about the game before I can cast it aside. I do like the Certification leveling system and the idea that there may be some strategy lurking beneath the surface.

From my short time with PS2, the game needs a hell of a lot of balancing to actually give weight to victories. It seems like anybody can spawn and just jump in a tank, there is nothing special about taking out a tank because, again for every 1 destroyed, there are 3 more behind it. Also, the insta-respawn has to go. Killing a defender should have a real impact. As it stands, you can kill someone and they come back 5 seconds later only to send you alllll the way back to respawn.

MrBig

Maybe the appeal of zerging is lost on me now after almost a decade of MMO's. The big battle fun wears off really quick in PS2 after about 5 minutes. It's at that point I realized there was no point in killing invaders of my base because for every person I killed, 3 more would take their place. In a game that allows essentially instant respawns, it just comes down to a numbers match. Who can roll in with the most tanks, planes, APCs, and infantry wins.

This is pretty much the reason I've backed off from playing too much, in an effort to stop myself from burning out on the game as it is now. The metagame is almost non-existent at the moment. SOE is obviously aware of this and they're sharing parts of their plan with us to give feedback and are actively changing things, but right now it's just an endless zerg if a 2 large fronts of a faction meet up.

PatzCU

This is pretty much the reason I've backed off from playing too much, in an effort to stop myself from burning out on the game as it is now. The metagame is almost non-existent at the moment. SOE is obviously aware of this and they're sharing parts of their plan with us to give feedback and are actively changing things, but right now it's just an endless zerg if a 2 large fronts of a faction meet up.

Do they have any good ideas on the horizon to clean this up a bit? Even tweaking the respawn times would alleviate some of the mess. I honestly can't believe there are instant respawns.

Top Bottom