• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

I wonder if that is standard VS armor that solider is wearing in one of the last pics. Looks pretty bulky, but different than stand heavy assault. I can't wait to drive that buggy around.

MrBig

Really needs a few more months before going public. I don't get why they're trying to push it out so quickly, besides of course needing money to continue working on it. They've got a month to fix all the broken shit then.

Ianan

Higby gave me a shoutout last night on stage during the Twitch segment, awesome! :D
Can't wait for Amerish, looks so good!

MrBig

I got a beta key. How good is the game? Is it a fun game for people that like battlefield?
If what you liked from the older BFs was teamwork and scale yes, you will love it.
Higby gave me a shoutout last night on stage during the Twitch segment, awesome! :D
Can't wait for Amerish, looks so good!

Cool, and yeah it looks great

I wonder if that is standard VS armor that solider is wearing in one of the last pics. Looks pretty bulky, but different than stand heavy assault. I can't wait to drive that buggy around.

So far we have only had the basic recruit armor available. All the customization stuff is being turned on when the game goes public.

Amerish Reveal Trailer

Jhriad

Public release date is November 20th, 2012

tumblr_m9qzc8ulCc1rq50kco1_500.gif

This is game not a month from release. December seems a lot more reasonable. Fucking hell SOE.

I'm thinking of all the stuff either not implemented or not unlocked for players.

Hell my main playstyle is going to be Stalker camouflage infiltrator. A cert that has never been unlocked in the beta. They're struggling to find a niche for the infiltrator class to fill really, other than sniping. They gave them shotguns, which is stupid.

Thats just one class, they've made a few really major mechanics changes lately too. To me it still seems like they're trying out a lot of different ideas and seeing what sticks. Which is great, but not something that should be happening a month before launch.

Arksy

So laggy atm. Hard to play from Australia. Might have to wait a month before AU servers launched. No idea why it was fine 2 weeks ago. :(

I'm thinking of all the stuff either not implemented or not unlocked for players.

Hell my main playstyle is going to be Stalker camouflage infiltrator. A cert that has never been unlocked in the beta. They're struggling to find a niche for the infiltrator class to fill really, other than sniping. They gave them shotguns, which is stupid.

Thats just one class, they've made a few really major mechanics changes lately too. To me it still seems like they're trying out a lot of different ideas and seeing what sticks. Which is great, but not something that should be happening a month before launch.

Explain yourself; shotgun + cloak is a match made in heaven. Do you think it OP?

arena08

Finally got an upgrade so this is actually playable for me now.

It all feels a little bit aimless for me at the moment though, but I think that's because I've been playing solo, so if anyone wants to squad up add me! I'm playing Vanu on Eurydome and my user is RocketDubs.

A buddy and I was doing some experimentation with front armor on the prowler and we discovered that it didn't reduce any damage... So the question is does it not work for friendly fire or not at all?

elithrar

So laggy atm. Hard to play from Australia. Might have to wait a month before AU servers launched. No idea why it was fine 2 weeks ago. :(

It's pretty rough right now. Can't really deft the laws of physics; fantasy MMO's are a bit more forgiving of 200ms latency compared to an FPS. I am glad they are investing in local servers, even if I'm not always keen to play with fellow Aussies...

Since the last major update my PlanetSide 2 has been crashing after about 30 to 60 minutes of play. Seems totally random. Reinstalled the game and was going to check if it's working properly again. Try to join Eurydome, 52 minute queue. WTF?

Jhriad

Since the last major update my PlanetSide 2 has been crashing after about 30 to 60 minutes of play. Seems totally random. Reinstalled the game and was going to check if it's working properly again.

Pretty common issue from what I've seen in the outfit. Seems to affect some folks more than others but something has definitely been broken somewhere that makes folks crash pretty frequently. On a similar note, has anyone been experiencing weird hangs or severe drops in FPS that only fix when you restart your client? I've had the FPS bug a few times where it'll drop into the low single digits. Pretty obnoxious considering this rig is top of the line.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Man, this game is fun as hell once you figure out what the fuck is going on. Been leveling up my jetpack. I love getting on top of an enemy's huge bubble base and picking people off. Good stuff.

MrBig

confirmed to only be an Easter Egg.

Pretty common issue from what I've seen in the outfit. Seems to affect some folks more than others but something has definitely been broken somewhere that makes folks crash pretty frequently. On a similar note, has anyone been experiencing weird hangs or severe drops in FPS that only fix when you restart your client? I've had the FPS bug a few times where it'll drop into the low single digits. Pretty obnoxious considering this rig is top of the line.

Are you on an SSD?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just played for about an hour and a half. Is anyone on the West Coast server "Thebe" We should team up!

Jhriad

Just played for about an hour and a half. Is anyone on the West Coast server "Thebe" We should team up!

We've got a TR outfit on Thebe. Shoot me a PM with your in-game name and I'll shoot you an outfit invite whenever I see you online.

Jhriad

So did they break spawning vehicles in the warpgate? Two of us just tried to spawn two vehicles with no luck. It used our resources and timers though. Less than a month till release!

EDIT: Three of us. This release is going to be a joke isn't it?

mr_nothin

Banned
So did they break spawning vehicles in the warpgate? Two of us just tried to spawn two vehicles with no luck. It used our resources and timers though. Less than a month till release!

EDIT: Three of us. This release is going to be a joke isn't it?

It's at certain bases. They spawn but it doesnt transport you into the vehicle. If you look over there, you'll see the vehicle spawn. You can run and get into it.

Warp gate aircraft are another matter... Good luck getting in yours if it spawns in a reasonable timeframe, because I watched 7 skeeters spawn, flip over, then explode before it was possible to get in. They spawn on the far aircraft pads. Gals were stuck in a long Que because no one realized they spawned way the fuck over there, so empty gals would sit there until they died alone.

To clarify, I'm in love with the beta and have reported all these things.

georgc

I must be dumb, how do I resupply medkits? I see that they cost 50 infantry but it won't let me buy any. I got 1 when I bought ther cert and used it now I can't buy anymore.

Wes

venison crêpe
I must be dumb, how do I resupply medkits? I see that they cost 50 infantry but it won't let me buy any. I got 1 when I bout ther cert and used it now I can't buy anymore.

If you run out of grenades/mines/utility slot stuff you have to go to your loadout page for your class, click on the appropriate item slot then there is a resupply button on the right hand side.

I must be dumb, how do I resupply medkits? I see that they cost 50 infantry but it won't let me buy any. I got 1 when I bout ther cert and used it now I can't buy anymore.

Whenever I have a full resource for infantry I buy a dozen or so grenades or other consumables to stockpile. It's silly to have full infantry resources as they will fill up as I travel from battle to battle or whatever, so I always make sure to dedicate the top 200-300 to items I will use later. This isn't practical when your faction is getting their shit packed in, obviously, as those resources should be kept for max deployments and actual item use. Once you've built a stockpile (I keep around 30-40 nades saved) then you'll have a supply when you run out of actual resources.

Moaradin

Patch is out and the servers are up. No patch notes are out yet, but the patch was pretty big.

edit: patch notes
Notable Changes:

Players are now mostly invulnerable to damage at Warpgates with the exception of vehicle collision damage against structures. An outstanding issue is while accessing a terminal players are vulnerable.
Sunderers are now available at every vehicle terminal that offers the Flash.
Squad members can deploy on their squad leaders from the Warpgate via the Instant Action menu.
Grief accumulation has been reduced for accidental team damage.
Grief points are no longer accumulated for damaging a fellow member or their vehicle. An outstanding issue is killing that player will result in grief points.

Performance:

Client crash fixes and client performance optimizations

Top Bugs Fixed:

Logging out or zoning while in a MAX should no longer change your class.
Forward spawn point terminals should now display appropriate faction on the minimap
Vehicle kills will give notifications again.
Turrets should no longer stop animating.
Dead characters will no longer be collidable.
Vehicles will no longer randomly invert controls.
Shields will now block tossed projectiles such as grenades and C4.
Fixed an instance where AFK players would be unable to be damaged.
Fixed a case where dying in the UI could leave a character in a bad state.

Weapons:

Reduced bullet drop on all weapons.
Buffed VS weapons to be much stronger at greater range. Projectile speed and Damage were increased on all weapons except sniper rifles.
Projectile speed was increased.
Damage at range was increased.
Reload times on most VS weapons are now faster.
Grenade trajectory is now more predictable.

Vehicles:

Speed required to damage infantry in a vehicle collision increased.
Projectile speed of Halberd increased
Reduced lock-on range of Heavy Assault anti-ground vehicle launchers (500 meters was overkill)
Scythe Default and Rotary nose cannon projectile speed increased
A pass was done on Sunderer and Tank Secondary weapon elevation ranges.
Elevation ranges should be the same between all the MBTs. Previously there were some discrepancies
50cal MG elevation range increased by 15 degrees

Good to know they still haven't patched the framerate slowdown going into "Planetside 2 has stopped responding and needs to close" issue. :c This is a game coming out in November? I'd push the date back and continue fixing these bugs...

This is game not a month from release. December seems a lot more reasonable. Fucking hell SOE.

This is why I'm worried about booting up the beta, even though I am an Alpha Squad member. I loved PS1. I want to wait for their house to be in order before I invest time.

On a side note, they should of just done a straight up copy of PS1, and then evolved from there. The original game was perfection before they decided to shoehorn Mechwarrior into it.

Wes

venison crêpe
The past week has been ridled with annoying bugs but I keep playing. I finding it great for dropping for a quick 20 minutes with hot dropping and also for longer play.

Been sniping in the past couple of days and I much prefer the bolt action rifles.

georgc

If you run out of grenades/mines/utility slot stuff you have to go to your loadout page for your class, click on the appropriate item slot then there is a resupply button on the right hand side.

Yeah, I do that for c4 and grenades, but medkits is greyed out and i cant select it. Do i have to do something secial?

Will probably pick this up once I grab a beta key to make sure my fisher price computer can handle it well enough without framerate drop. I'm above the minimum specs, but I've learned that often times that means nothing.

Man I need to upgrade.

zedge

Anyone who is playing this upgrade to Windows 8 yet? Game wont start now, just says not responding and quits when I try to launch.

Top Bottom