• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

MrBig

If I use the Station Cash now, do I keep that shit for launch or do they reset my cash? Does anyone know?

Station Cash is real SOE game currency. You won't even be able to use it in the PS2 Beta.

How do former Planetside vets feel about this game? I loved the first one. Played it from beta up until Core Combat. The MMO FPS genre is criminally vacant and a solid reboot of this title would be nothing short of fantastic.

I didn't play PS1 for very long, but it's everything that made PS1 what it was with much much much much better mechanics. Feels like an actual FPS now.

If I use the Station Cash now, do I keep that shit for launch or do they reset my cash? Does anyone know?

Windows and Planetside on the SSD.

Looks like I don't need SSD anymore since this patch buffed performance on a huge amount. TY anyway.

Any EU1 NC in game ATM? Whisper me (o4zloiroman) to send you invite to our outfit.

Jhriad

How do former Planetside vets feel about this game? I loved the first one. Played it from beta up until Core Combat. The MMO FPS genre is criminally vacant and a solid reboot of this title would be nothing short of fantastic.

I was a beta PS1 player and played up to around two years after CC. PS2 definitely feels like it's Planetside. The base & tower design is more interesting this time around. The two things I think they still need to put in for the long term health of the game, in addition to giving it two things the original had, are give the Sunderer the ability to become a spawn and add the old continent interlinking. The old continents being linked added quite a bit to the meta for the original.

Overall I think if you were really into the original you'll probably find something to like here as well. Since we're still in beta it's tough to say what the final form will be but I think any PS1 player should be hopping on board if they still have an interest in that format.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Only played ps1 for a couple of months in the beginning, but this a solid playing version of it. Missing some featured, like the placeable turrets and hacking doors (though maybe I'm mistaken that ps1 had those). Maybe they'll come eventually, but its a very solid game, great if your PC can run it smoothly.

georgc

Any way to get into the beta besides paying for the founders program? I did that for mechwarrior but in my opinion was a better deal then what planetside is offering.

Any way to get into the beta besides paying for the founders program? I did that for mechwarrior but in my opinion was a better deal then what planetside is offering.

I don't know, I think its pretty worth it. Bunch of unlocked weapons when the game comes out, 40 bucks worth of spending money? You're not even really paying to get into the beta.

And they give away keys here and there, but its not that easy to get into yet unless you're really looking constantly.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I know the game's missing that spawn truck with the cloaking device. Replaced by Spawn Beacons and Galaxy's (That have landed, not airborn ones). Feels like there's more "Physics" built into the flying vehicles, and don't feel as fast and "Arcade-like" as PS1, but that could be false memory as well. But they are fine, and riding in a turret on one as the pilot's making fast turns in a canyon, it's trippy, soooo trippy.

People were talking yesterday, like there was going to be a server population increase coming today. Is that right?

Moaradin

I know the game's missing that spawn truck with the cloaking device. Replaced by Spawn Beacons and Galaxy's (That have landed, not airborn ones). Feels like there's more "Physics" built into the flying vehicles, and don't feel as fast and "Arcade-like" as PS1, but that could be false memory as well. But they are fine, and riding in a turret on one as the pilot's making fast turns in a canyon, it's trippy, soooo trippy.

People were talking yesterday, like there was going to be a server population increase coming today. Is that right?

I think the people that got beta keys from IGN prime are getting in today.

Izayoi

Banned
You can pay $7 for a month of IGN Prime.

Honestly you'd be better off just putting that toward an Alpha Squad package.

I think the people that got beta keys from IGN prime are getting in today.
I've been in for a while now, and I have a Prime key.

Keys acquired through Prime have been able to get in right away.

mr_nothin

Banned
The West 01 server is so intense. Hopefully the East servers start to fill up with more of these keys being handed out. I've converted to the West 01 server from East 02 and it's so different. You still have your smaller battles but you have your amazing 200+ people battles too...with dozens of tanks and air support and tracers going everywhere.

Woorloog

Banned
Got a key... downloading now. I doubt i'll be playing for a few days though, still enough fever i can't really concentrate on stuff.
Reckon i'll join Terran Republic, EU of course.

SparkTR

I just saw my first MAX crash. At least 20 NC scatter maxes stormed the biodome out of nowhere, I thought it was a glitch at first.

Izayoi

Banned
This game is so good.

planetside22012-09-05p4ssp.png

planetside22012-09-05vas9f.png

planetside22012-09-05kws1d.png

mr_nothin

Banned
This game is so good.

It REALLY is. And just think...we're playing it in it's absolute barest form. They still have to make resources more valuable and have WEIGHT. They also have to add the global missions system. Then there's commander mode and the rest of the hierarchy system. Then post launch they want to add the ability to harvest resources ala RTS.

Also, are all the Alienware keys gone?

EDIT:
NVM, I see that they are.

Woorloog

Banned
No 1280x720 resolution, seriously? The game doesn't offer a single 16:9 res not counting 1600x900. I'd rather drop the resolution a bit to get more frame rate...
Can i set a custom res somewhere?

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, found how to make custom rez. Also framerate limit, nice, all games should have this.

EU1, Terran Republic...

EDIT what is correct vertical field of view for 1280x720 resolution?

EDIT i can't use my mouse wheel to change weapons. I could tweak it to be slower but then browsing would be hellish. I reckon i'd really need a gaming mouse with some toggle for the wheel like my friend has... oh well, that is for the future.

EDIT oh man, i'm going to need some guidance for this game. I chose a hotspot, landed behind some rocks and pretty much stayed there because i wasn't sure who i should shoot. Then a sniper killed me.

EDIT everythings kinda blurry... is it my settings, FXAA or just my eyes?

Izayoi

Banned
Does your game look like my screens above? Everything high, FXAA off, render quality max. If so, it's just the aesthetic of the game. If not, make sure you aren't forcing FXAA through your GPU control panel.

Jburton

Banned
Ah, found how to make custom rez. Also framerate limit, nice, all games should have this.

EU1, Terran Republic...

EDIT what is correct vertical field of view for 1280x720 resolution?

EDIT i can't use my mouse wheel to change weapons. I could tweak it to be slower but then browsing would be hellish. I reckon i'd really need a gaming mouse with some toggle for the wheel like my friend has... oh well, that is for the future.

EDIT oh man, i'm going to need some guidance for this game. I chose a hotspot, landed behind some rocks and pretty much stayed there because i wasn't sure who i should shoot. Then a sniper killed me.

Will be on today when the servers go up, will send you a friend invite and an invite to the GAF TR outfit on EU01.

Woorloog

Banned
Does your game look like my screens above? Everything high, FXAA off, render quality max. If so, it's just the aesthetic of the game. If not, make sure you aren't forcing FXAA through your GPU control panel.

No, not really. I assume it is that i'm not used on modern PC graphics.
The last time i was PC player really was in... i don't know, 200-something. Earlyish.

Medium settings, 1280x720, i get around 25FPS when other players are visible. A tad too little, need to lower some settings without making everything absolutely ugly. Shadows probably? Otherwise runs pretty well, though there's some tearing so enabling v-sync would be ideal.
Specs are Core i5-2450M, GT630M (with 1GB memory), 6GB memory, Win 7, no SSD.
Maybe i'll take a pic or two soon.

Also, an oddity i've notice, insert key being the autojoin something: My laptop lacks insert key (technically it does exist but it is tied to print screen and i haven't figured out how to use it). Good thing i rebinding is possible...

Will be on today when the servers go up, will send you a friend invite and an invite to the GAF TR outfit on EU01.
Sure, thanks. Empyrus is my name in-game.

EDIT 2 BTW, the servers are up already. Are they taking them down soon? Anyway, i won't be using voice coms yet, at least not today. Can't stand using the headset at the moment.

EDIT
V V said that before trying the game. Gotta say i can't see any reason for actually needing SSD, though there was an issue where the game refused to render some ground i saw while crouching on a rock.

Jburton

Banned
At least you have one. I'm going to be running this on a laptop... Hopefully they're optimizing the game fast...

I don't have an SSD and games runs fine (althought not on a laptop)

I am running I5-2500k, 8gig RAM and gtx 670 ...... pre the current patch I get 60 fps 80% of the time (although I do have it frame limited) and have never had some of the issues people have reported.

When it gets busy there is some slow down but there is a lot of space for optimisations ...... Game has been running around 50% load on the GPU and CPU (weak CPU will hurt performance).

Sethos

Banned
Popped by the EU site of Planetside, wanted to buy that Alpha Squad pack. I type in my information and;

"The payment method you are trying to use is not a valid payment method for a SOE customer in the United States. Please check the knowledge base for more information or contact Customer Support for assistance."

Guess they don't want my money.

Woorloog

Banned
Hrhm. Gotta remember E is enter and Exit... Let's just say flight won't end well you accidentally press E.

Also, need to figure out lowering what settings would free up some frame rate. Shadows and models?

SparkTR

Hrhm. Gotta remember E is enter and Exit... Let's just say flight won't end well you accidentally press E.

Also, need to figure out lowering what settings would free up some frame rate. Shadows and models?

What's worse is E was the button to increase altitude in PS1, I don't know how many aircraft I crashed because of that.

Generally I turn everything to medium and set 'render quality' to 85%. It'll make the make look a bit blurry, but the performance increase will be pretty good.

Jburton

Banned

Have killed myself a few times due to that button placement, that and falling through the bottom on the map when I spawn (some sort of glitch).

Woorloog

Banned
What's worse is E was the button to increase altitude in PS1, I don't know how many aircraft I crashed because of that.

Generally I turn everything to medium and set 'render quality' to 85%. It'll make the make look a bit blurry, but the performance increase will be pretty good.

I somehow thought it would control rolling. Realised my mistake by the time i was trying Q but it takes some .3 seconds for your body to react and i had already started pressing E...

Gotta try that one. I suppose i could improve resolution to reduce blurriness?

Woorloog

Banned
Relaxing driving

Shadows and light are always pretty

That's more or less how the game looks on my screen though frame rate is lower when others are around. EDIT yeah, sure, JPGs and Imgur... Need screencapping tool and make a proper album to some site.
EDIT Right... okay, i shouldn't use both JPGs and imgur... compression artifacts

Now to tweak the graphics... finding a big battle would help.

SparkTR

I somehow thought it would control rolling. Realised my mistake by the time i was trying Q but it takes some .3 seconds for your body to react and i had already started pressing E...

Gotta try that one. I suppose i could improve resolution to reduce blurriness?

Well, set the game to your monitors native resolution and set render quality to 100% to get it the least blurry looking. If you lower your render quality the game is going to look pretty blurry regardless off what you do, but if you're having frame-rate issues I recommend it.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, set the game to your monitors native resolution and set render quality to 100% to get it the least blurry looking. If you lower your render quality the game is going to look pretty blurry regardless off what you do, but if you're having frame-rate issues I recommend it.

90% render quality is still ok but anything more causes too much blurriness...

Maybe i could try low resolution but windowed game.

EDIT oh, yeah, noticed an issue with brightness. It defaults to zero on me, even though the game claims .5 and i've set it there. Happens always after alt-tabbing.

Woorloog

Banned
Question: Does your SoE username carry into the game(s) or can you pick another for the games themselves

Your SOE username is not visible in the games itself, you use another name (or names) within them.
EDIT godamn beaten my milliseconds.

Sethos

Banned
Okay thanks, then I'll just create a new account.

Apparently my old, old SoE account was set to United States for some reason so I couldn't buy anything.

Top Bottom