• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

I don't really get how acquiring cert works. My other BR2 character seem to have like 200 something cert points while my BR4 character has like 23.

Edit: Oh I completely forgot about the offline leveling thing. Umm, anyone can explain how it works anyway?

Pennybags

Not sure about offline gain, but you get a cert point about every 700(?) XP. That's why you typically get one during outpost captures.

MrBig

Are they still sending out beta invites? I would love to play planetside again.

If you still have your PS1 account email happytohelp@ soe.sony.com

Oh man, turns out my PC cant run the beta, my GFX card is dated, but I was hoping I could still play on low GFX settings? The game just refuses to start and instead throws me into a website which gives me a generic error. :(

Any advice anyone?

How long is the beta for? Im tempted to change my account details and pass it onto another gaffer so at least someone can make use of my account. Would that be safe for me?

Hold on, they are having major server issues atm

Oh man, turns out my PC cant run the beta, my GFX card is dated, but I was hoping I could still play on low GFX settings? The game just refuses to start and instead throws me into a website which gives me a generic error. :(

Any advice anyone?

How long is the beta for? Im tempted to change my account details and pass it onto another gaffer so at least someone can make use of my account. Would that be safe for me?

qazqaNii

Any advice anyone?

/begs for it!..
I won't change ur password or anything just want to try out the game that looked so cool on the screenshots.

Dorrin

If you still have your PS1 account email happytohelp@ soe.sony.com

Giving this a try, was a subscriber years ago and would love to try it out again. I'm assuming they will just point me towards the planetside2 website and tell me to join the alpha squad.

zedge

I am on right now but going to be afk for about 30 minutes. I sent you a Outfit invite ShiningSunshine so I dont know if it will be there since your offline. Ill be on for all of tonight. Zedge just join up and send me a friend invite and I will add you to the Outfit. FusionZero is my username.

Sent you an invite.

SJRB

Gold Member
I still haven't gotten a beta code so I figured I'd just purchase the Alpha Squad. But I'm in EU territory and the website keeps looping me to the .com site where I can only purchase through creditcard or direct debit. What the hell is going on?

Please tell me those aren't the only two options..

mr_nothin

Banned
I still haven't gotten a beta code so I figured I'd just purchase the Alpha Squad. But I'm in EU territory and the website keeps looping me to the .com site where I can only purchase through creditcard or direct debit. What the hell is going on?

Please tell me those aren't the only two options..

No paypal right now

Jhriad

Equip them to your items slot. For engineers it replaces the ammo pack.

It goes in your item slot, yes, but it doesn't replace your ammo pack. If you pull out your turret and press 'b' your ACE goes from turret mode to ammo pack mode.

Is there still no way to get into TR gaf for West 01?

Not my outfit at least. Shit is still bugged. We're petitioning daily to get it fixed. If you're looking for folks to run with and you see me online feel free to shoot me a tell and I'll get you into our squad. We're using Skype atm but we'll probably move over to different voice comms soon.

MrBig

It goes in your item slot, yes, but it doesn't replace your ammo pack. If you pull out your turret and press 'b' your ACE goes from turret mode to ammo pack mode.

Ah. They said they're working on cleaning up the engineer tool interface, so that will either be removed or made clear.

Where is the spawn beacon? I've never seen it in the cert menus. Is that what people use when they drop in pods?

It's in the leadership cert tree

Pennybags

Sooo apparently some guy was tk'ing his team at the warp gate and Higby saw him doing it. So he teleported him to the bottom of a Biolab and made him keep spawning there so they could keep killing him over and over and over. Higby has the pimped out MAX & has God-mode on.

Here's the video:

Those are the people I regularly play with in GOTR. I always miss the good stuff. :(

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Killing me atm. I got into the BETA in the Twitter key/PC Gamer key wave. But I was on my "old desktop" which couldn't run it.

I just built a new PC this past weekend but I don't have internet until Saturday. Argh.

mr_nothin

Banned
Some huge changes coming to the way the spawning works. This is exactly what everyone has been clamoring for. Less "spawn everywhere" and more "spawn strategically". I cant wait for all these changes to get implemented! More galaxy drops (and with vehicles!) and the sunderer as a mobile spawn!

MHigby said:
Hey guys!

Spawning logistics have been a hot topic on the forums lately, and it's a subject that we care a lot about on the dev team as well. As usual we really appreciate all the feedback and ideas from you guys. We've been following these threads really closely, and I wanted to take a minute and talk about some of the changes we have in progress for this (extremely important) area of the game.

Right now we have two ways for you to set up forward spawning locations. Squad spawn beacons and Galaxies. We're going to give you guys one more, the Sunderer. Along with this change we're going to do some things to hopefully redefine and expand the roles of both the Sunderer and the Galaxy. These changes aren't going to happen over night, but within the next 2-3 weeks you should see them mostly completed and up to beta.

Sunderer changes:

Repair and Rearm functions of the Sunderer are going to be stripped, by default it'll be a 12 man transport vehicle
Repair, Rearm, Respawn and other cool toys like Blockade Armor (which allows you to drive through gate shields) will all be certifications for the Sunderer which unlock loadout choices. Which functionality you want to have with the Sunderer will be up to your loadout, you'll be able to select one of these benefits at a time.
Cert costs for each of those three options will be relatively low, meaning getting a Sunderer to be a mobile spawn point will be pretty easy
Further certifications such as deploying a cloaking field, stealth so it doesn't show up on radar, etc. will be evaluated to see if they're needed.

Galaxy changes:

By default, Galaxies will no longer be able to deploy as spawn points, but they will still be able to deploy into equipment terminals. Note: Terminals moving to a certification/attachment is a future possibility, but at first they will be available by default
Spawn tubes will be available for the Galaxy as a high level Galaxy cert, it will be expensive and far down the advancement tree. The thought behind this is that dedicated Gal pilots will be able to use the spawning functionality, rather than EVERY pilot. Some limitations may be implemented to keep the eventual "everyone unlocks everything" effect from making Galaxies the defacto spawn tool.
Other possible certification / loadout enhancements to the Galaxy include adding the ability to load a vehicle, have "powered" hot drops (drop pods), and allowing squad members to spawn into the transport variant while it's in flight.

Global changes:

Coming in the next patch MAXes will no longer be able to be spawned directly into, you'll have to go to an equipment terminal and in the following patch they will have a cooldown and resource cost as well. That means that you will not be able to spawn MAXes at Galaxies, Sunderers or squad spawn beacons. MAXes will be available at the equipment terminal on gals, but we may end up limiting that as well down the road, we'll make a determination on this based on beta further beta feedback.

Our goals with this are:

To make ground based forward spawning the primary forward spawning method and therefore enhance the importance of the ground vehicle game.
To put some limitations on the current degree to which Galaxies allow attackers to bypass defensive chokes.
To give hot drops and blockade running more tactical relevance, cause they're awesome.
To layer some additional role choices into our support vehicles.

As always, we're looking forward to hearing your feedback and looking forward to getting these changes out to you guys to play as soon as possible!
Thanks,

Source: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/solidifying-spawning-logistics.17169/

Moaradin

Higby said:
Coming in the next patch MAXes will no longer be able to be spawned directly into, you'll have to go to an equipment terminal and in the following patch they will have a cooldown and resource cost as well.

This excites me.

Well, just about everything in that post is great news.

SparkTR

A wonder how you'll be able to take biodomes now, they pretty much need a galaxy unless you want to be camped at those teleporter things.

mr_nothin

Banned
A wonder how you'll be able to take biodomes now, they pretty much need a galaxy unless you want to be camped at those teleporter things.

Well, you'll still end up having galaxy spawns. They just wont be everywhere like they are now. Gals will just have to keep transporting ppl to the biodome and ppl will have to be more collaborative instead of instantly rushing into the biodome. You can also use jump pads to access the biodomes too. GAL drop to point A or B and have a squad or 2 jump pad directly onto the biodome.

Jhriad

Pretty much what mr_nothin said. Multiple Gals rotating hot drops on either pad. Gals will be more about hot drops, like they should be.

Acheteedo

I'd totally buy the alpha squad package to get into the Beta if I was sure that it'd run on my machine... sadly I'm playing on a dual booted macbook, it's a powerful one but dual booting is janky at the best of times so there's a good chance the game won't even work! Wish there was a demo option.

Pennybags

The possibility of Galaxy drop-pod launches makes me giddy. Flight ceiling drops with fine adjustment.

At least it seems that the dedicated Galaxy pilots will be compensated in a decent way.

mr_nothin

Banned
The possibility of Galaxy drop-pod launches makes me giddy. Flight ceiling drops with fine adjustment.

At least it seems that the dedicated Galaxy pilots will be compensated in a decent way.

There's even a "Force Drop" cert for Gal pilots. You'll be able to dump everybody out as a pilot.

Top Bottom