• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare |OT| Prepare for Gardenful of War

Friction

The plants win every match I play in. In G&G I was in zombie team and we couldn't get near the garden. Sunflower plants zapping us instantly from miles away, lots of them.

Your team probably needs a couple of good engineers. That IMO are the most under utilized class. Especially when assaulting gardens.

Milennia

Everyone make sure to checkout smartglass. It's one of the best integrations I've seen in a game so far.

You can call in airstrikes, parachute health pick-ups, place coconut radars to show zombies on the map, use it as a map, etc., etc with smartglass.

It sounds like an exact copy of battlefield commander.

zombie painter is amazing, 40~ damage on direct hit at any range.

Strange thing about the server lag, it also effects hard aim and reloading, if the server stutters a tiny bit the game will ignore my left trigger until I let go and press it again, reloading also has a pause and it throws me off.

fernoca

Download finished!
Got 3 sticker packs, really nice concept.

Overall I'm enjoying the game, but I'm not sure if I'm playing it wrong or whatever. I just go to Garden Ops, Create a Match and play by myself at the moment to get to know the controls and stuff.

Anything else I should know? It seems I already spent my plants. XD

-PXG-

It's as if when making this game, the devs forgot that you could also play as the Zombies. G&G...hell...the whole game favors the Plants. In G&G, all the capture points have a ton of cover and vantage points. Also put into account that there are pots everywhere including two at the capture point. And let's not forget snare traps, potato mines, burrowing Chompers and chilli beans. It's totally nuts. Plus, Garden Ops is only playable as the Plants, which allows you to level them up faster, since Zombies don't have a similar mode of their own. Plants have more range, more moves to slow opponents down and more one hit kill attacks than the Zombies. It's ridiculous. Zombies are at constant disadvantage.

I use the Scientist which is by far hardest character to use. Why does he only have one healing move when the Sun Flower has two? The cool downs for his abilities are too long and firing the goo gun from the hip is not effective at all. You have to hard aim (Gears term) and do pop shots to lay some hurt on anyone. It takes two or three point blank shots to score a kill, which in that time, you can easily get killed.

Download finished!
Got 3 sticker packs, really nice concept.

Overall I'm enjoying the game, but I'm not sure if I'm playing it wrong or whatever. I just go to Garden Ops, Create a Match and play by myself at the moment to get to know the controls and stuff.

Anything else I should know? It seems I already spent my plants. XD

I found it best to try out each character first in the "Welcome Mat" playlist. It's an easy (and quicker) way to learn how each character operates and how to use them. I really need to go back and play Garden Ops some more.

It's as if when making this game, the devs forgot that you could also play as the Zombies. G&G...hell...the whole game favors the Plants. In G&G, all the capture points have a ton of cover and vantage points. Also put into account that there are pots everywhere including two at the capture point. And let's not forget snare traps, potato mines, burrowing Chompers and chilli beans. It's totally nuts. Plus, Garden Ops is only playable as the Plants, which allows you to level them up faster, since Zombies don't have a similar mode of their own. Plants have more range, more moves to slow opponents down and more one hit kill attacks than the Zombies. It's ridiculous

Well, to be fair, leveling up your plants after level 4 has no real effect on how you play the game. But yeah, I know what you mean. In G&G, I think they should also introduce a mode where the Zombies are on the defensive, and the plants need to reach their graveyard. I think this would make it seem a bit more balanced overall.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
So I much prefer Classic modes without all the mad extras. I know where I am and who I am up against instead of everyone running around superpowered.

Lucifon

Just got the game. Do the unlockable characters actually make any difference or is it just visual? Got the marine biologist right from the start.

Sioen

Getting the game tomorrow on my xb1. It sounds like it's pretty good? GT: Gakinotsuka1 if you want to play.

This game is great! Just played for 3 or so hours and its really fun. The way the game is structured you can tell they were going for a micro transaction method with the booster packs, heavy customization and whatnot but they backtracked on it and I am glad they did. Traded in BF4 for this and have no regrets :)

dk_

Such a great game, folks! I't was an impulse buy and I'm having so much fun. The game is just so charming!

Lucifon

I'm loving vanquish but gardens and graveyards seems really unbalanced =( the map design makes the plants have far too much cover and ability to just lock the zombies down completely.

Go into that book thingy in the game and it will kinda tell you.

Cheers ill have a look!

Mastamind

I'm loving vanquish but gardens and graveyards seems really unbalanced =( the map design makes the plants have far too much cover and ability to just lock the zombies down completely.

Cheers ill have a look!

The problem is that the zombies need to push as a group. If people are going 1 at a time they will be picked off easy.

Have soldiers throw smoke to block the vision of the plants, have a all-star put a couple tackle dummies in front of the cap point, have scientists drop the healing turret and dont stand too close together on the cap point because chili bombs (they could use a slight nerf on explosion radius or damage or both).

Neither allstar imps nor soldier ZFD (zed?) do that type of damage.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Quick question.

How are you finding the local multiplayer? Its only one mode but is it fun?

I'm finding it quite fun. The only wish I have for it is that you could play as the Zombies in the mode somehow. Not even for leveling purposes, but mostly because it'd just be nice for 2p to get a chance to see how they play, as well.

It's also a pretty nice way to earn some coin. Going through matchesd and earning 1.6k online in Team Vanquish isn't as satisfying as earning 3.5k with a run in Splitscreen.

Your team probably needs a couple of good engineers. That IMO are the most under utilized class. Especially when assaulting gardens.

I had insane fun playing Engineer in my G&G run. The nature of "Defend the point" Causes people to bunch up like crazy, so Air strikes got MUCH work. And being able to run in backed up by damage-soaking zombie fodder shields just fits the class perfectly.

So I much prefer Classic modes without all the mad extras. I know where I am and who I am up against instead of everyone running around superpowered.

Just got the game. Do the unlockable characters actually make any difference or is it just visual? Got the marine biologist right from the start.

They're not really superpowered, they're just adjusted. In general, they trade off something. Direct damage / attack speed for after effects / area damage, or less Hitpoints for faster movement speed, etc.

They could use some "What'd different about this secret character?!?" Videos, I was so confused when I got the Tank Commander Soldier early on, haha. (He shoots rocketshots, that have a bit of AoE hit effect.)

My Favorite has been the Future Cactus, so far. (I want a special Zombie Engineer, but they refuse to give me one so far...) Her special ability is a chargeable snipe shot. Does pretty low damage compared to the regular sniping with normal shots, but being able to hold a charge, and unleash it on unsuspecting foes for a 100 damage critical hit is quite sweet. And her Mecha-reload sounds are great, too.

SuperPac

Funny to hear about how unbalanced things are when I've been on a losing Plants team in G&G and and losing sides of either team in TDM too.

Mastamind

They could use some "What'd different about this secret character?!?" Videos, I was so confused when I got the Tank Commander Soldier early on, haha. (He shoots rocketshots, that have a bit of AoE hit effect.)

Mystic sunflower - basic attack can be charged for more damage by holding the trigger.

Toxic peashooter - lingering poison damage on attack, might also poison characters that get to close (not sure about second think i saw it)

Physicist (scientist) - does electric damage (not sure about its effect)
Dr. Toxic (scientist) - lingering poison damage on attack, might also poison characters that get to close (not sure about second think i saw it)

Rugby Star (all-star) - explosive dmg (splash) on basic shots.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Funny to hear about how unbalanced things are when I've been on a losing Plants team in G&G and and losing sides of either team in TDM too.

I know the feeling. I haven't really felt an unbalance overall, as I've been on teams that make each team seem like "_____Character" is completely ineffectual and worthless. Engineers hard counter Lazy chompers, Smart Scientist and All-stars wreck shop together, Sneaky scientist can put a stop to all flying bot activity by killing off their commanders, etc.

Can one play this single player with bots, or is it mostly an online game? I have the game already, I just haven't had time to play it yet.

Mostly an online MP game. No direct bot play for the Online modes, but there is Splitscreen MP for the tower defense mode, and you can play the gardens and graveyards modes solo, apparently.

Mystic sunflower - basic attack can be charged for more damage by holding the trigger.

Toxic peashooter - lingering poison damage on attack, might also poison characters that get to close (not sure about second think i saw it)
Snowpea Shooter (Peashooter) - Shoots chilling ice hat slows, multi shots freeze.

Future Cactus (Cactus) - Multi-level charge beam, slightly weaker normal shots.
(Fire Cactus) - Shots light enemies on fire, doing after-effect damage.

Dr. Toxic (scientist) - lingering poison damage on attack, might also poison characters that get to close (not sure about second think i saw it)

Tank Commander (Foot Soldier) - Shoots explosive missles, AoE, far travel distance.

Nice list! I'll lump mine into your format, and I guess we can start a list in the thread:

Mindlog

PVP I stick to the classic modes for the level playing field.
Garden Ops I've completed a few hard levels and got to level 6 on insane so far.

This store system makes ME3's look downright generous. With ME3 MP you didn't need five unlocks to try a new character and it was pretty easy to push completion times with enough skill. Even with good teams the games seem to take about the same amount of time. Good teams make hard much easier. It might be the mode I stick to for that now.

Anyways, saved up enough for that top of the line pack... of course I unlock a zombie.

So that makes two characters I have now.
Power Flower (electric)
Electrician (electric zombie engineer)

Can one play this single player with bots, or is it mostly an online game? I have the game already, I just haven't had time to play it yet.

No bots, but there is Garden Ops, which is essentially a horde mode.

Also, which sticker packs are most efficient for unlocking new characters? Just bought a 20k one and it had a few parts. Not sure if 40k is worth it though.

bluehat9

Also, which sticker packs are most efficient for unlocking new characters? Just bought a 20k one and it had a few parts. Not sure if 40k is worth it though.

On the giantbomb quick look brad bought the highest price pack and it gave all the sticker parts for a single character and unlocked it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

The 40k one basically guarantees a character. It says so right in the description. The descriptions are accurate to how well they work for certain situations; If you want to hunt characters, 40k pack is the way to go. 5K will give you some accessory items and a few consumables for "Tower Defensin!", etc, etc.

We seriously can not stop playing this game in my house. If someone is home, someone is playing it. Big let down that the split screen only gives stats to one player.

I know this is on EA's end, but for a console totes as being the "all in one family console" it sure doesn't promote the family playing together very well.

MrBlonde

What is the best pack to get the unlockable characters? I only have 18k in coins and was thinking about saving for the 20k packs

robatw

i just played for 2 hours. in the first game i heard some voices. every game after that i didn't hear any voices and i coudln't communicate too. is this just on my end?

Caayn

What is the best pack to get the unlockable characters? I only have 18k in coins and was thinking about saving for the 20k packs
The 20k only gives you parts of a character, the most I got out of those was 2 parts. The 40k pack guarantees one new character.

i just played for 2 hours. in the first game i heard some voices. every game after that i didn't hear any voices and i coudln't communicate too. is this just on my end?

I don't know, man. Some people say hearing voices is normal -- other's don't. Just make sure you don't do what the voices tell you to do.

No, it seems to be a known issue. It happens to us. Sometimes voices work, other times the icons show but no sound.

Lucifon

Is there a party system for playing with friends? Can't see one on the menu but my buddies don't get the game til tomorrow so I don't know if the Xbox party system handles it?

20k packs are best in the long run, you unlock parts for classes but also get weapon upgrades as you go, unless you want a new character asap I say go for 20 packs.

Are there any breakdowns of how they're different anywhere?

Primary weapon will vary in how it works, skills stay the same (so far)

For example the normal engineer zombie has a cement gun which fires at a medium speed and range, but the painter zombie who is another tier of engineer has a paint can launcher, slower but more range and more direct hit power.

Mastamind

The 20k only gives you parts of a character, the most I got out of those was 2 parts. The 40k pack guarantees one new character.

Thats right, i save up for the 40 packs. I sometimes buy the 1k minion packs as well (not often and i have 0 zombie minions)

MrBlonde

20k packs are best in the long run, you unlock parts for classes but also get weapon upgrades as you go, unless you want a new character asap I say go for 20 packs.

Primary weapon will vary in how it works, skills stay the same (so far)

For example the normal engineer zombie has a cement gun which fires at a medium speed and range, but the painter zombie who is another tier of engineer has a paint can launcher, slower but more range and more direct hit power.

interesting, maybe I will buy some 20k packs, if they get me weapon upgrades maybe I can be a little more patient on the characters. Do you ever get duplicates or if you have something you dont have to worry about getting it again?

I've put about 7 hours in so far. I really like it. I don't really have any faction balance complaints. But I am annoyed that 80% of everyone plays the pea shooter and the zombie soldier.

interesting, maybe I will buy some 20k packs, if they get me weapon upgrades maybe I can be a little more patient on the characters. Do you ever get duplicates or if you have something you dont have to worry about getting it again?

not sure if you can get upgrade and character dupes, i'm thinking not.

There is over 1000 stickers so plenty to get.

pelican

Guys

Weird thing...

Just installed the game on my bone. When I start to play it the loading graphic title screen appears, then it minimises back to my home screen.

The title screen remains the same in the home screen window. When I click on it the bone swaps to PvZ then minimises straight back to home.

Anyone else had the same?

Guys

Weird thing...

Just installed the game on my bone. When I start to play it the loading graphic title screen appears, then it minimises back to my home screen.

The title screen remains the same in the home screen window. When I click on it the bone swaps to PvZ then minimises straight back to home.

Cold boot your Xbox. It isn't PvZ specific.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Guys

Weird thing...

I've had similar issues with KI or Skylanders before, probably just need to fully shut the system off (Hold the power button on system for like 30 seconds). When you boot back up, things should be fine.

Top Bottom