• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare |OT| Prepare for Gardenful of War

not sure if you can get upgrade and character dupes, i'm thinking not.

There is over 1000 stickers so plenty to get.

I read somewhere that the devs said you can't get dupes.

I also have noticed that once you start collecting a piece of a new character you'll start getting the other pieces for that character rather quickly.

I've played probably five or six games and i've reached the end in two maps (Dave's Mansion and the one with Cucumbers) with the zombies.
It's SO rewarding when you arrive at the end, seriously awesome stuff (also the final stage of the battle is based on a different goal, like sending 5 CPU controlled zombies inside the mansion or blowing up 4 rockets).
With the plants, i once scored a perfect victory holding every base... so maybe plants have a slight advantage, but it seems pretty balanced to me.

Glad you like my style buddy, i appreciate.
I did the Chomper as well (90% done), here's a preview:
BhZ-gZeCIAAIvBo.png

I plan on making a composition kinda like the one i made for Hyper Light Drifter, i want to pay homage to Popcap since i do love their games and their attitude. :D
hahah awesome dude! You had some great work for KI, glad to see you continuing that trend with other games :]

These looks really good man!

Camjo-Z

Your team probably needs a couple of good engineers. That IMO are the most under utilized class. Especially when assaulting gardens.

I can now attest to this. I got into a match with nothing but soldiers and some all-stars, fighting a losing battle against a well-defended garden, only to end up steamrolling them once I switched from scientist to engineer. Drone strikes + teleporters all day erry day.

Biggest balance issue in this game is that most of the plants projectile attacks deal bulk damage with splash, while zombies have faster yet weaker weapons.

The plants have way more useful skills so far IMO, especially the sunflower who can heal like mad and whenever.

Mdk7

hahah awesome dude! You had some great work for KI, glad to see you continuing that trend with other games :]

These looks really good man!

Thanks buddy, it's great to read your kind words.
I will definitely make the other guys in the upcoming days (at least the plants!), and i also need to finish that second KI piece, LOL.

The game is really sweet and addictive BTW, i played more than a couple of hours tonite as well. I do hope we get new maps soon, honestly.

20k packs are really paying off, nearly unlocked a super rare cactus (looks like half robot) and I have a lot of class upgrades to make my weapons stronger.

CaLe

So there's no way to play this in singleplayer ? Or alone with bots ?

I'd like to get this for my wife, but I don't think she'd want to play online with other people yet. She's still getting into videogames.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I feel ripped off on my sticker packs. I don't recall getting anything too useful from the ones that came with the game. Then I saved up for the 40k pack to get a character and it gave me the Rugby Player replacement for the Football Guy, who is probably the worse character in the game. Can never get anything going with him. 20k packs from now on. It takes me quite a while to earn the cash though even when I'm doing well.

i get jelly and frustrated getting beasted by the upgraded plants that I stick to classic modes , even field B^)

haha just chaos with everyone going in the circle . boom boom room

Is there anyway to see a list of the available upgrades for the characters? I for some reason cant hover over them in the customize screen to see what each of them does specifically =(

Beast780

Man I had to force myself to stop playing, that hasn't happened in a long time for a multiplayer mode. No, I didn't play the Titanfall beta, but plan on picking it up.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
Yay!!! just finished all the waves on garden ops on hard :D man i have to say this game is really fun.
the boss modes got a little crazy lol, put we pulled it off lol.
hope they can put in new game modes like capture the flag lol.

theytookourjobz

The sticker packs are pretty bad. I wish the game had a normal progression where using a class a lot and completing challenges for said class would unlock stuff for THAT class. Right now the random nature of the stickers means you can spend 40k points on something that you probably won't even want to use.

hawk2025

I'm probably missing something, but how do you play the Mixed Mode playlist? I'm not seeing it in any of the modes.

hah! I've been wondering the same thing since I got the game, and I've put a good 10 hours into it! Where is this playlist??

The sticker packs are pretty bad. I wish the game had a normal progression where using a class a lot and completing challenges for said class would unlock stuff for THAT class. Right now the random nature of the stickers means you can spend 40k points on something that you probably won't even want to use.

The game also has class-specific unlockable card packs for leveling up, though :)

My 5 year old daughter just told me she wrote about me and her playing "the zombie game" in her kindergarten class for her writers work shop. Hopefully I don't receive a call from the school.

Mindlog

So there's no way to play this in singleplayer ? Or alone with bots ?

I'd like to get this for my wife, but I don't think she'd want to play online with other people yet. She's still getting into videogames.
You can play alone (still online), but it might be a little harder for new players. However, I can't think of a better game to introduce someone to online multiplayer. Most people have fun messing around doing gestures at each other in co-op and I haven't heard one abusive word in PVP (may be a bug.)

I did start a solo GO/normal just to see how far I would get. People joined, but we died on Wave 9. Made some silly mistakes and had used up my revives before people arrived.

Made 19k credits only getting to normal wave 9. The boss wave slot machine giveth. Agreeing with everyone else on 20k packs seeming to be the best ones.

I'm enjoying it so far but it's too bad that they essentially threw balance out the window. It feels like you're at such a massive disadvantage when playing as a zombie.

I mean, comparing the classes on each side makes it pretty apparent.

Soldier vs. Pea Shooter - Chili Bean Bomb outclasses ZPG in a big way. Pea Gatling is way better than the Stink Cloud (which is only good for dropping in the garden in G&G). Pea Shooter gets a movement speed boost as well as the ability to do multiple high jumps while the Soldier gets one high jump and no other boosts. Soldier's base weapon is a little bit better though which closes the gap slightly.

Engineer vs. Cactus - Engineer drone can be easily destroyed by 3 of the 4 plant classes while Cactus drone can only be reliably destroyed by the Soldier. 3 Potato Mines compared to the 1 Sonic Grenade that has a ridiculously long recharge and isn't all that useful in the first place. The Cactus primary weapon is way more reliable and useful than the Engineer's grenade launcher.

Scientist vs. Sunflower - This one might be the worst. Sunflower's heals are way better and can heal on the move while the Scientist can only lay down Healing Stations with ridiculously long recharges which are countered anyway by the Sunflower's Heal Flower. The Sticky Explody Bombs are straight doo-doo while the Sunbeam actually has some nice uses and puts out good damage. On the bright side the shotgun can dish out some nice damage if you can manage to get in close which isn't always a given.

As far as All-Star and Chomper, they're really too different to compare. All-Star is definitely a nice class even if the Tackle Dummies are generally junk. Chomper does have three exceptional abilities though as well as the ability to instantly kill zombies and not allow them to respawn. Burrow is especially ridiculous considering the only counter is the Sonic Grenade which has a recharge way too long to be used reliably against it.

I mean, I know the game isn't meant to be taken all that seriously and Popcap obviously just wanted to go over the top and crazy with it but even still, when making a competitive shooter like this you have to take balance into consideration. I'm not sure what, if any, adjustments they'll make but in no way does it feel like a fair fight right now. It just sucks that a good plant team will almost always beat a good zombie team.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got this on impulse(digital retail games = scary easy to do that) and it's a lot more fun than I expected. Went on a rampage as a chomper which was extremely satisfying.

I could certainly see the balance being pretty messed up which would be a shame. The chilli bean bomb has huge range for how much damage it does, specifically.

Tusk

:p About 40 or so mins ago I got a random invite to a match from someone I didn't know.. Now here's the thing though, it ended up being a 1v1 match, and it turns out the persons game glitched and he ended up in a match all by himself, and so we spent the whole time messing around and killing eachother every now and then till one of us won.

Anyone else have a mess up happen like that at all yet? Or run into any weird screw ups?

Nintyb

Banned
Plants are OP but Zombies are fun to play in death match, at least. Maybe they'll release a balancing patch at some point but I doubt it.

This game is great fun and full of charm. I hope it sells really well. I would be interested in new classes and maps for a decent price.

They really need to do something about EU servers, it's official launch day here and I still get sent to american lobbies, hit numbers take about half a second to appear compared to what I have seen on twitch streams of other players with near zero lag.

EA being EA and skimping on servers.

Is there pc/consoles comparisson somewhere? Not only about graphics but game modes too.

no idea if pc has been shown but I would expect everything from the xbox one version, but maybe not split screen.

the xbo version seems to have real time cloud shadows which sweep over the level, higher poly models, some extra bloom here and there and a smoother frame rate.

Game is really great, although it's hard for me to comment if I feel one side is OP and the other is not. This game follows the CoD matchmaking system by throwing me on the team that's not going to take or protect any points.... every game. Titanfall beta was the same way, I won 40% of the time, but my stats were very good, especially considering I was playing against A and B teams while on the Y and Z teams. Lol

I need XB1 friends bad - TheApatheticOne

One question - with the engineers jackhammer, what's the trick to that? I can knock people down, but then they kill me and still show 100%? I don't think I've killed someone with the jackhammer yet.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
One question - with the engineers jackhammer, what's the trick to that? I can knock people down, but then they kill me and still show 100%? I don't think I've killed someone with the jackhammer yet.

Isn't the jackhammer just a speed boots and lets you avoid ground dangers (chompers/mines). You can still fire your main while on jackhammer.

In Garden OPs, how do you get more plants to...plant as turrets? Is that a microtransaction or do they recharge after a certain amount of time?

I've put in a significant amount of time, and yes, at first the plants seemed OP, but once you have played all of the Zombie classes you'll find out it's pretty balanced.

G&G however is not. Plants spawn too close to the objective and once they're dug in it's hard to root them out :p The Cactus has far too many mines for that mode and the Chili Bean Bomb becomes very dangerous.

I really like this game. I have a few questions about things I dont quite understand...

1) There are 4 classes per side... correct? I know we can unlock variations of classes but can we unlock new classes? The reason I ask this is because on one mode... I noticed I had boss mode (something like that) so that I guess it would allow me to play as a boss???

2) anybody have any idea how many variations there are to each class?

3) is it just variations of classes or are there different weapons as well? In other words can I find a cool weapon for say the peashooter???

4) I am guessing they have accessory options to dress up each class as well... any idea how many?

5) is there a guide or something that lists all of the stuff we can unlock?

I've put in a significant amount of time, and yes, at first the plants seemed OP, but once you have played all of the Zombie classes you'll find out it's pretty balanced.

G&G however is not. Plants spawn too close to the objective and once they're dug in it's hard to root them out :p The Cactus has far too many mines for that mode and the Chili Bean Bomb becomes very dangerous.

They should definitely limit each player to 2 mines total. If they lay down a third, the first one disappears.

This game is fun as hell but they definitely need to do some balancing.

Also adding party functions would be nice, and maybe make your party members glow in-game so you can stick around them easier.

Does anyone know if they plan to patch this game?

I really like this game. I have a few questions about things I dont quite understand...

1) There are 4 classes per side... correct? I know we can unlock variations of classes but can we unlock new classes? The reason I ask this is because on one mode... I noticed I had boss mode (something like that) so that I guess it would allow me to play as a boss???

3) is it just variations of classes or are there different weapons as well? In other words can I find a cool weapon for say the peashooter???

4) I am guessing they have accessory options to dress up each class as well... any idea how many?

1) Boss mode is the top-down smartglass mode. You play as crazy dave and help to aid the other players.

2) http://imgur.com/Bc0PFiH

3) There are different weapon upgrades for each class but I couldn't find a list.

4) Lots

5) Haven't seen one yet.

1. Boss Mode is like Commander Mode in Battlefield 4. If you're not familiar with that then it just shows you a layout of the map and allows you to call in support for your team like spotting, healing, air strikes and resurrections.

2. There are 6 variants for each class, counting the default.

3. Each class variant has a unique weapon tied to it but there aren't multiple weapons for each variant. Basically, a standard Pea Shooter will always have the same weapon no matter what. That can't be changed.

4. A lot. Seriously. I'm guessing around 50-60 per class when you combine things like accessories, hats, tattoos (for plants), organics (for plants), facial hair (for zombies) and weapon skins (for zombies).

5. Not familiar with one. Will probably take a while for someone to come up with cohesive list of all the unlocks. There are over 1150 stickers to acquire.

Top Bottom