• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare |OT| Prepare for Gardenful of War

I even feel that's too much considering an already large amount of people play as Cactus.

Yeah, I feel like the Zombies need a similar sniper-type character. It's frustrating when you're up against a team of Cactus that just sit back and continue to take you out from long range in G&G.

The future cactus I unlocked last night is so broken, charge shot takes one ammo and can do wicked damage, can also fire fast if you mash the trigger for 20 damage per laser.

Keeps saying sticker shop is closed for me???

If you look at the sticker shop at the end of a match it will close 10 seconds before the next round starts, if it's closed outside of that no idea, maybe EA servers being EA servers.

Yeah, I feel like the Zombies need a similar sniper-type character. It's frustrating when you're up against a team of Cactus that just sit back and continue to take you out from long range in G&G.

Paint (engineer) is the best sniper like class for zombies so far, 40 damage on direct hit and 10 splash, slow fire rate but unlimited range (47 with damage upgrade)

Only down side is the cactus is still amazing and will own you before you get a second shot at him.

Paint (engineer) is the best sniper like class for zombies so far, 40 damage on direct hit and 10 splash, slow fire rate but unlimited range (47 with damage upgrade)

Only down side is the cactus is still amazing and will own you before you get a second shot at him.

Only downside to that is that it's not a main character and will take some people a long time to get. I've played for a few hours and haven't unlocked a full new character, so right now there's no really efficient way to counter Cactus players as a Zombie.

Only downside to that is that it's not a main character and will take some people a long time to get. I've played for a few hours and haven't unlocked a full new character, so right now there's no really efficient way to counter Cactus players as a Zombie.

too true, the starter characters should have all been closer to each other in skills instead of vastly different, not exact clones but a sniper class for zombies as well as plants.

It's pretty long to get a character to level 10.

Yeah, some of the challenges are pretty annoying, especially if you don't have the right stickers for summoning certain plants/zombies.

Those challenge skip stickers are a godsend though. I was super lucky and managed to get 5 of them in a Supremium pack.

Camjo-Z

Is there a reason Boss Mode is Kinect/Smartglass exclusive? I don't have a tablet so I tried it out with Kinect, all it did was tire my arm out and there's nothing that couldn't be done with a controller.

I know it just launched, but how is the community so far on the Xbox One? I'm thinking about grabbing it, but not if it's a wasteland already.

This game is pure fun. There are some balance issues, but for he most part... you will have a blast. The online community is great so far. I love looking at different customizations of the classes in certain game modes.

Is there a reason Boss Mode is Kinect/Smartglass exclusive? I don't have a tablet so I tried it out with Kinect, all it did was tire my arm out and there's nothing that couldn't be done with a controller.

You can use a controller for it, when you enter boss mode just press A

hawk2025

Lost all my coins, servers are down, sticker shop is down.

I Love this game, but fuck EA.

They are souring an awesome experience for me that had justified my xbox one purchase.

Camjo-Z

You can use a controller for it, when you enter boss mode just press A

:^|

wow and it says it right when you start it up too. Can't believe I didn't notice.

Also Scientists are really cheap on that map where you have to get into the mansion at the end. We had a veritable fortress of mines, spikeweeds and Wall-nuts set up in front of the door and they literally just ran up and warped past us all right into the mansion.

derFeef

This game is really smooth and fun! Only palyed a couple matches but I think plants are really too strong - or maybe it's the maps.

This game is really smooth and fun! Only palyed a couple matches but I think plants are really too strong - or maybe it's the maps.

At first.
Engineer with the explosive upgrade or the Marine Biologist makes quick work of them.

Edit: The best starting class for Zombies would be either the Soldier (fast weapon, rocker jump) or Engineer (stun, concrete launcher.) The Engineers concrete launcher has splash and it can also be upgraded to deal more damage.

Mastamind

At first.
Engineer with the explosive upgrade or the Marine Biologist makes quick work of them.

Edit: The best starting class for Zombies would be either the Soldier (fast weapon, rocker jump) or Engineer (stun, concrete launcher.) The Engineers concrete launcher has splash and it can also be upgraded to deal more damage.

What does the marine biologist do?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I find the Foot Soldier to be sniper enough for the zombies, personally, and then that to be balanced out well by Scientist that instantly get into "your side" of the map, and wreck all your tunnel-vision and flybot-commanding Cacti.

It's also worth noting that the Cactus defense walls don't reach head height, while the Zombie All-Star's do. Thus, it's a lot more useful to pop a Zombie barrier and revive in the middle of fire (plus the smokescreen of soldiers) as opposed to... ANYTHING the plants have.

Sunflower Sun beam is pretty much asking to get a soldier Rocket, Punt Imp, Charge, Football Gattling, or concrete shot to the face. And the fact that she has NO way to cover herself if enemies get close... probably the only class in the game without some form of "get off me" move.

I actually miss the All-star when I'm not on the Zombie side. His tackle is way to good a move to use as a simple "movement", as it takes some time to recharge. Imp Bomb is ALMOST a Chilli Bean Bomb, which I find pretty surprising from the only class that can flat out survive the bomb and retaliate.

Engineers Concrete shot is possibly the worse "person to person" gun, but I love it in G&G. Easy way to clear Potato Mines, hit the enemies, and clear out their potted plants and spikeweed. Also very fun to hit people around corners, who think they've escaped your killing blows. Drone's bomb-strike also charges pretty fast for something you can summon from large areas away, and sit around to charge.

I really love how the balance is in the details, and not directly in a class-for-class comparison. That's probably what keeps me most wanting to play, aside from earning items; I generally miss playing one teams members when I'm playing the other, and even similar characters have me calling for that one unique trait of their "clone" when playing the other.

Lost all my coins, servers are down, sticker shop is down.

That probably means you're disconnected from the server. The coins, levels, and such, are saved server side, so you'll appear to have nothing when not properly connected.

derFeef

I love me the support classes in all shooters, so Sunflower and Scientist is for me. I will play them all of course for leveling up but helping and healing is my jam.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Has anyone figured out if matchmaking is based on the region settings of the Xbox or on the ping the nearest server?

I find the Foot Soldier to be sniper enough for the zombies, personally, and then that to be balanced out well by Scientist that instantly get into "your side" of the map, and wreck all your tunnel-vision and flybot-commanding Cacti.

It's also worth noting that the Cactus defense walls don't reach head height, while the Zombie All-Star's do. Thus, it's a lot more useful to pop a Zombie barrier and revive in the middle of fire (plus the smokescreen of soldiers) as opposed to... ANYTHING the plants have.

Sunflower Sun beam is pretty much asking to get a soldier Rocket, Punt Imp, Charge, Football Gattling, or concrete shot to the face. And the fact that she has NO way to cover herself if enemies get close... probably the only class in the game without some form of "get off me" move.

I actually miss the All-star when I'm not on the Zombie side. His tackle is way to good a move to use as a simple "movement", as it takes some time to recharge. Imp Bomb is ALMOST a Chilli Bean Bomb, which I find pretty surprising from the only class that can flat out survive the bomb and retaliate.

Engineers Concrete shot is possibly the worse "person to person" gun, but I love it in G&G. Easy way to clear Potato Mines, hit the enemies, and clear out their potted plants and spikeweed. Also very fun to hit people around corners, who think they've escaped your killing blows. Drone's bomb-strike also charges pretty fast for something you can summon from large areas away, and sit around to charge.

I really love how the balance is in the details, and not directly in a class-for-class comparison. That's probably what keeps me most wanting to play, aside from earning items; I generally miss playing one teams members when I'm playing the other, and even similar characters have me calling for that one unique trait of their "clone" when playing the other.

This is a super insightful post. Thanks for detailing your strategies.

I just bought this as a digital download. What % can I start messing around within the game?

From what I remember, around 20-30%? However, all you'll be able to do is run around a map as the plants classes and kill some AI zombies until it reaches 100%. It's great to get a feel for the controls, experiment with the plant classes and to see one of the maps though.

Mastamind

Has anyone else gotten free characters without opening the packs?

I think i got frozen cactus and the physicist without them coming from packs just randomly. When I can get back to my system I'll see if another character has been mysteriously unlocked.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just Unlocked Dr. Toxic Scientist: Shotgun does something like 25 DMG on hit from close, 10 from Distance, leaves a poisoning effect on enemy. Does the poison DOT grow over multiple hits? Think it starts at 3 2? Maybe it's a % of health? Hmm.

PG2G

Just picked this game up for Xbox One. Holy hell I have never waited at pop UPS as long as I have for this game. Is it always this terrible or are they having some server issues?

I have been sitting at a Cancelling matchmaking screen for over a minute.

What does the marine biologist do?

Higher rate of fire (as quick as you can pull the trigger) and the chum (intentional or not) messes with visibility lol

Has anyone figured out if matchmaking is based on the region settings of the Xbox or on the ping the nearest server?

I don't think it does either. I've been matched with people south of the border and across the pond.

Just picked this game up for Xbox One. Holy hell I have never waited at pop UPS as long as I have for this game. Is it always this terrible or are they having some server issues?

I have been sitting at a Cancelling matchmaking screen for over a minute.

Dashboard and restart. It does the same thing on 360 at times too.

derFeef

Man, G&G is tough as Zombie... wonder if I will win a match one time, lol.
Foot soldier is fun, reminds me of TF2 the most.

Almost 20k now - save it up for the big pack is the thing I guess?

Man, G&G is tough as Zombie... wonder if I will win a match one time, lol.
Foot soldier is fun, reminds me of TF2 the most.

Almost 20k now - save it up for the big pack is the thing I guess?

G&G can be easier if you have a competent Engineer to build the teleporter/turrets and one or two Soldiers providing cover from roof tops.

I'd go with the pack available at 20k as it provides a variety of things instead of just one character.

C-Jo

I'd go with the pack available at 20k as it provides a variety of things instead of just one character.

I like the 20k packs as well. They still give you character pieces, but you also get weapon upgrades that do things like increase damage, or decrease reload times.

My overall thoughts:

• The game is incredibly light-hearted, simple, and pure fun. More games need to take a page out of the book that this game did. The art, the humor, it all fits into a great package that works well together.
  • I love the tactical emphasis--playing well is more about playing smart and making good decisions versus fast-twitch reaction times and nasty headshots. Still, the shooting elements feel great.
  • The game needs better party support, at least on 360. Let us join multiplayer matches via parties (you can only really do this in Garden Ops currently) and give us a way to see our party members easier in the game. Maybe give party members a colorful glow in-game so that actually playing together isn't so difficult.

My balance thoughts:
  • I actually love games that are a-symmetrically balanced. It makes you want to play each side and switch to the other side after each game. It gives each side a unique dynamic and that's awesome. That's one of the great things that Starcraft always had going for it, and even old MOBAs that had different hero characters on each side.
  • That being said, it's pretty obvious that Plants in general have an easier time. I don't think it's as drastic as some people make it out to be. I think that once people get the hang of the game a bit more, Zombies will perform better as it requires specific actions to counter a lot of the Plant abilities/classes and that requires some experience with the game to find out.
  • HOWEVER, I do have a few things that bother me. First, I wish the Chili Bean Bomb had a slight glow around it so that it would be easier to see and avoid amidst the chaos--the screen feels a bit cluttered as it is.
  • Potato mines also should have a glow once they're planted. Thinking about how bombs in The Last of Us having the steam wreaking out of them--that's what I want to see. Additionally, letting a Cactus put three of those things down at a time is sort of ridiculous to me, especially with how hard they are to see. I'd love to see them to cap it at 2 mines and make them more visible once planted.
  • The healing output of Zombies is lower, so I feel their offensive potential should be slightly higher, but it doesn't really feel that way. I might like to see them reduce the cooldown on the Scientist healing ward just to close the gap a little bit with the Sunflower's healing output.

Fun ass game though overall. Definitely pick it up if you're on the fence. Lots of fun for a good price.

I like the 20k packs as well. They still give you character pieces, but you also get weapon upgrades that do things like increase damage, or decrease reload times.

Good to know! I had about 10k coins until I reached 40k, so I'll buy two 20k packs for now. :)

JLck

I really want to get this but I have some concerns..

- EA's servers - are they still struggling?
- UK community - With Titanfall so close and the little marketing done for this game and it's price point, I'd be worried about a small community and being stuck in servers with Americans (I have a poor connection, so would rather not, no offense guys).
- Fun to play alone? I play multiplayer usually just with friends, I tend to find it boring alone quite quickly. This looks loads of fun though, and I'm really starting to crave it - but I can't convince any friends to get it with me.
- Do I need it? Titanfall in 2 weeks...

What do I do GAF?

I really want to get this but I have some concerns..

- EA's servers - are they still struggling?
- UK community - With Titanfall so close and the little marketing done for this game and it's price point, I'd be worried about a small community and being stuck in servers with Americans (I have a poor connection, so would rather not, no offense guys).
- Fun to play alone? I play multiplayer usually just with friends, I tend to find it boring alone quite quickly. This looks loads of fun though, and I'm really starting to crave it - but I can't convince any friends to get it with me.
- Do I need it? Titanfall in 2 weeks...

What do I do GAF?

- Haven't had any issues since launch day on 360
- I'll leave this for someone who resides in the UK
- Probably why I love it so much. You can play alone and have a blast. No worrying about wins or kills.
- It's a nice change of pace

Just some random thoughts after about 8 hours of playing.

- As someone that has put 80 hours into BF4, I'm having worse server issues with PvZ. (I never had much of a problem with BF4 like others). I've had disconnects during games and hung server search screens etc.

- I think the balance is mostly fine except for:
*Chili Beans are just stupid (and probably why everyone plays Pea shooters). There should not be such a thing as an insta-kill AOE against most classes in a game like this.

* Plants in general are leveled up higher than zombies because of horde mode catering just to plants. Lots of players are unlocking tons of shit for plants in GW mode.

*Way too many people only play soldier on zombie side. Countless times I'm the only scientist or all-star the entire match.

- The biggest thing this game is missing is a Horde mode for zombies. I hope that's in the free DLC coming. It drives me nuts that there is more modes with plants in the game than zombies.

derFeef

Just some random thoughts after about 8 hours of playing.

- As someone that has put 80 hours into BF4, I'm having worse server issues with PvZ. (I never had much of a problem with BF4 like others). I've had disconnects during games and hung server search screens etc.

- I think the balance is mostly fine except for:
*Chili Beans are just stupid (and probably why everyone plays Pea shooters). There should not be such a thing as an insta-kill AOE against most classes in a game like this.

* Plants in general are leveled up higher than zombies because of horde mode catering just to plants. Lots of players are unlocking tons of shit for plants in GW mode.

*Way too many people only play soldier on zombie side. Countless times I'm the only scientist or all-star the entire match.

- The biggest thing this game is missing is a Horde mode for zombies. I hope that's in the free DLC coming. It drives me nuts that there is more modes with plants in the game than zombies.
I agree! A Zombie conquer mode would be neat, kinda like Beast Mode in GoW 3, that was fun.

Top Bottom