• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare |OT| Prepare for Gardenful of War

I had a feeling something changed after the server downtime last night, the foot soldier's rifle has a slightly slower fire rate if anyone has noticed, the regular pea shooter seems to have slightly less damage (not confirmed but it felt like it) and the all-star was dealing more then 3 damage from range hits, more like 4-5 most of the time making him more useful.

*edit* oh I see the change list, so I was right, i'm not going mental #kappa

All-star is really nice now, I can storm in and confuse a lot of plants instead of everyone tanking my hits like they are sponges.

Also noticed that if you try to change team too many times in a row the option goes away, good way to stop people always changing team to stack sides.

Lima

More coins just when I finished the game.

That is great. Ah well might go back and try to unlock all the characters then.

Mindlog

Hey everyone, I'm the lead gameplay designer and balance guy on Garden Warfare. I've posted a couple times in this thread, but didn't have a whole lot to say until now. Our first balance patch is now live:

We're going to continue updating and tweaking the game in the days and weeks to come, and I'd love to know what you all think!
I'm enjoying how much like ME3 MP this is turning out to be. Wish all the success for those involved. Maybe I'm missing it, but we could really use an official forum/outlet for PvZ news. The Bioware Blog/forums were a great source for balance changes and general dissemination of news.

I'll be throwing extra money at the game when that becomes an option because I really approve of this model and hope EA finds success with it.

It seemed like natural regen takes a tick longer to kick in, but that could be my imagination. I'll have to hop on and give the all-star a try when I get the chance. It was growing on me before these new changes.

sweet lord am I the only one trying to cap gardens tonight or am I playing with a ton of drunks against pro plants, pulling my hair out.

Being frozen in place by an ice pea is bullshit too, it should slow you down like goop instead of turning you into a frozen free kill, you can't even aim when frozen.

Just picked this up on Xbox One. It's actually lots of fun, I'm very impressed with how it plays and also with how vibrant and fun it looks visually.

Quick question though, anyone getting dropped games and disconnects? I don't typically have these problems with other games, including COD, BF4 and the Titanfall beta. Anyone else getting dropped games, or could it be my connection?

There really needs to be a server browser or at least a region filter. Getting connected with people in other countries does not make a great experience.

There really needs to be a server browser or at least a region filter. Getting connected with people in other countries does not make a great experience.

Agree, while I know playing at 2:30am is not going to get me a fully UK lobby it would be nice to pick a medium ping game, lag in this game throws me off and i'm not even sure if I should lead my shots or not, the hit numbers have lag to them also and you have no idea if you are landing hits.

Friction

Hey everyone, I'm the lead gameplay designer and balance guy on Garden Warfare. I've posted a couple times in this thread, but didn't have a whole lot to say until now. Our first balance patch is now live:

Economy Balancing
- More Coins! Yes more coins are now awarded in both Team Vanquish Mode and Gardens & Graveyards.

Sticker Packs
- Skip Star Challenge cards are now more plentiful – these are a great way to skip the harder challenges.

Mode Balance:

Gardens & Graveyards
- Zombie garden capture time decreased in all maps.

Gameplay Balance Changes:

All-Star
- Increased primary weapon damage, and reduced damage falloff distance.
- Increased the Imp Punt's inner blast radius.

Soldier
- Ice Trooper: Reduced weapon damage falloff distance.

Scientist
- Marine Biologist: Reduced weapon damage falloff distance.
- Dr. Toxic: Increased rate of fire and reduced weapon damage falloff distance.

Sunflower:
- Mystic Sunflower: Increased projectile damage across all three charge levels.

We're going to continue updating and tweaking the game in the days and weeks to come, and I'd love to know what you all think!

Thanks. These balance updates all sound excellent.

Btw, could be have a coin difficulty multiplier for Garden Ops. No incentive to play harder difficulties except for the challenge. Easy is the best mode to farm coins.

Killer

Banned

Economy Balancing
- More Coins! Yes more coins are now awarded in both Team Vanquish Mode and Gardens & Graveyards.

Sticker Packs
- Skip Star Challenge cards are now more plentiful – these are a great way to skip the harder challenges.

Mode Balance:

Gardens & Graveyards

All-Star

Soldier

Scientist

Sunflower:

I just wanted to take this opportunity and say your game is fucking fantastic! it reminds me of Conker MP which was great at the time. hope you guys keep supporting the game with more maps.

Btw, could be have a coin difficulty multiplier for Garden Ops. No incentive to play harder difficulties except for the challenge. Easy is the best mode to farm coins.

This, very much. I do get a fair bit more on normal then easy but I see very little gain from hard mode. If it were me I'd make Hard payout at least 10k.

Forsythia

These changes are for the 360 version too, right? I can't check right now but would be miffed if this was for the Xbox One only.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I... don't know what old values you guys are seeing. After the first people mentioning it not showing up, I went online and played a few games. Instead of 1,000 for completion, you now get 2,000 for completion, and a 500 bonus for winning. Making it pretty easy to get 3,000+ Credits a match. Before, you got a max 1,000 for completion, and I think 250 for winning?

Haven't done G&G since the change.

This makes it almost 2 or more times more credits per game... Cutting on those times to get packs effectively in half. All-star feels more threatening now, which seems to be noticed, as I'm seeing more multiples on a team now.

I'm personally glad Dr. Toxic got a bit of a buff too, because he seems insanely weak at the classic Scientist Tele-and-kill motif, which was quite annoying. Being a bit better at range at least makes his pelting seem more worthwhile.

bidguy

Banned
what does "more coins" even mean ? 100 instead of 50 for a kill or what ? please be more specific because i cant see a difference

is it the 3000 coin bonus at the end of a round ?

Great changes so far. It's nice to see that you're being involved and reactive to how the community is playing.

I will say though I'm surprised the Pea Shooter, Cactus and/or Footsoldier haven't been touched yet. They seem to outperform the rest of the classes by a fairly large margin, Pea Shooter especially. Although it seems like you guys haven't really hit anything with a nerf yet so you may just be holding off for now. Regardless it would be interesting to know how you guys over at PopCap feel about the balancing of those three classes right now.

Yeah I'm seeing a LOT more scientists and all stars now. No more 100% peashooter/soldier lobbies, which is nice. All star seems a lot faster now in terms of aiming time.

That's what I meant too. Holding for 5 seconds and turning it off, then turning it on again didn't fix the stuck loading screen. Unplugging it did.

Weird. It worked for me. Well at least it is working now.

Thanks. These balance updates all sound excellent.

When me and my friends played on hard yesterday we got lots of extra cash from the zomboss slot machine (10 000+). There is no fixed multiplier afaik but there are a lot more payouts.

what does "more coins" even mean ? 100 instead of 50 for a kill or what ? please be more specific because i cant see a difference

is it the 3000 coin bonus at the end of a round ?

kills and streaks still give you 25 and such but finishing a game or winning a GvG match nets you a lot more coin, thing is since about 2am last night for me I am earning the old rate of 750 coins per team DM game instead of the new 2000 coins, same for everything else like it rolled back to the older settings.

Glitch? bug? i'm just unlucky?

Are you guys going to be adding in party support for the non co-op modes?

Additionally, have you thought about making players in our party stand out or glow slightly in-game or have their nametag always show up in non co-op modes so that we can see our friends easier?

mbmonk

Hey everyone, I'm the lead gameplay designer and balance guy on Garden Warfare. I've posted a couple times in this thread, but didn't have a whole lot to say until now.
I'd love to know what you all think!

C-Jo, first I wanted to say thank you for dropping by GAF. It's a pleasure to have you here.

I think the game has some incredibly fun moments, and it has potential to be a great game.

That being said I have a couple of issues that are really frustrating me. I recorded a clip here showing that there is a possible issue with the netcode or servers. The video has a voice over explaining my perspective.

Maybe related to the netcode issue, though I don't know, is that I am having issue with dropped inputs. I sometimes will have to press a button two times in order to activate the ability. I have had this issue with multiple characters ( All Star, Cactus, and Scientist ) on multiple play sessions and servers. Could the team add a sound cue that tells the player that the ability he is trying to activate isn't legal at that time? So two different examples would be if I press the button to activate an ability that is on it's cool down then I get an audio cue for that. Or if I am trying to deploy the flying drone, but I am next to and facing a wall, so the drone doesn't have room to spawn into the world, then I would get an audio cue to let me know that.

By giving the user the audio cue it helps the user know if the input was received by the game, but the action was deemed impossible/illegal. As opposed to no audio cue, and the user is left wondering if the input was dropped by the game or if the controller he is using is having an issue. This is a basic user feedback principle. It really helps the user avoid frustration with the game or system.

Last, I can't find out how to use the weapon upgrades and character I have unlocked. So if I "customize" Pea shooter, I see two items in the cannon upgrade section. One is more peas in per clip, I believe. Are those items activated by default? I can't get the cursor down to that section to select or unselect them. But the game doesn't tell me if they are active by default or not, or if I have to do something to activate them. Also when I started the game up for the first time I received "Tank Commader" unlock for the Zombie foot soldier. I don't know how to actually use him. I can't select his Tank Commander clothing items in the customize section. So I have no clue to actually use him. I have looked through the help file and didn't see any mention how to use them. I know it's possible I just don't know how.

PS: Also when selecting a game mode for multiplayer, could we just scroll to the game mode we want to play and then press A to advance. Right now we have to scroll to the desired game mode then press down to highlight search for server, then press A. It would faster from an end users perspective to just let me select the game mode and press "A". It just seems like an unnecessary step to press down on the d-pad. I am just asking for the option to just press A to search for servers. I am not asking for the removal of the "Search for Server" menu selection button.

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: I fixed the video link.

I'm bored this weekend and feeling the temptation to buy this for some reason. I have a feeling come Tuesday I'll completely regret it though, as Titanfall is going to dominate my time.

SuperPac

I'm bored this weekend and feeling the temptation to buy this for some reason. I have a feeling come Tuesday I'll completely regret it though, as Titanfall is going to dominate my time.

It's a great game. The most fun I've had in an online game in long time. Probably because of the more light tone of the game and disposition of the player base.

After playing this game so much since release it's got a place next to titanfall, this game is more like team fortress while titanfall is call of duty, both shooters but completely different, I myself will most likely bounce between them both.

mbmonk

I don't know if resale is possible for the physical disk, but if you could get the physical version and didn't play it after Titanfall you could sell it. If you are picky about the netcode in the shooters you play then I would suggest skipping it. Just my opinion.

I mistakenly went digital so my money is gone.

Goon Boon

Banned

Economy Balancing

Sticker Packs

Mode Balance:

Gardens & Graveyards

All-Star

Soldier

Scientist

Sunflower:

It's cool if you can't answer since it isn't really your department, but any idea if the PC version is going to hit soon? Spring 2014 is a bit vague.

Game is really great and well worth the 40 price tag. I was also unsure about it last week but I got it and am really glad I did.

Top Bottom