• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare |OT| Prepare for Gardenful of War

Goon Boon

Banned
I don't have a Facebook account :/ could someone rehost the pictures?

Oh here you go :

KZeLDUt.png

Didn't notice earlier.

Also still no PC release date. I will cry about this every day till it is discovered. Forever.

I got PvZ for XBO last week and, yesterday, I played Garden Ops for the first time. We couldn't protect our garden. Regardless, when I finished, I shut off the system. This morning, I noticed I unlocked a few achievements but, while playing, nothing popped up and there wasn't any notifications. Just curious if this happened to anyone else while playing PvZ?

As for the game, it's fun. I suck at these games but I'm still enjoying myself, haha.

EBE

so is joining a Garden Ops game still borked?
im not able to join most otherwise i just get kicked from them

im trying to beat it on CRAAAAZY

Anyone good with a sunflower want to team up for PVP? I've gotten fairly decent with the peashooter and I think it'd be pretty badass to run around together coordinated via mic/headset.

Anyway, feel free to add me (xbox one): Beams of chaos

I usually play late late night PST; I'm randomly on anywhere from 8p-5am PST, but at other times too.

To the devs: Any chance of a double coin weekend or such? I'm really enjoying the game and I think this would be a great way to draw some folks back in! (And get me more sweet sweet packs)

MechDX

To the devs: Any chance of a double coin weekend or such? I'm really enjoying the game and I think this would be a great way to draw some folks back in! (And get me more sweet sweet packs)
played back to back GW last night.

First time we were plants and held them to one capture and got 5800 coins.

Second match played as zombies and captured all points and got 11k coins.

Serious imbalance here....

pacman85

played back to back GW last night.

First time we were plants and held them to one capture and got 5800 coins.

Second match played as zombies and captured all points and got 11k coins.

Serious imbalance here....
I am pretty sure the Creative Director of the game said on Twitter they are aware of that issue and are currently testing updated coin values and hope to roll it out soon.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Split-Screen is only "play until you die", right? No way of placing an end to it like, 10 rounds and it finishes?

I'm not digging that there's no end to sight. While I do appreciate the "see how far you go this time!" it's not as satisfying and being able to "win".

C-Jo

I am pretty sure the Creative Director of the game said on Twitter they are aware of that issue and are currently testing updated coin values and hope to roll it out soon.

Yep, that's correct. No ETA just yet, but we're in the process of testing new coin payouts right now.

Mindlog

Yep, that's correct. No ETA just yet, but we're in the process of testing new coin payouts right now.
That's good to hear. Wonder how that process works out. You don't want every game to feel the same, but you want to avoid crazy CPM deviations.

Hopefully this inspires even more plants to attack teleporters. It's fun spreading out the action like that even if there is one particular teleporter that really needs to be moved or removed from the spawn rotation. That spawn is a deathtrap for any number of building engineers and their potential support. I was crit killing 3 Zombie Engineers so often I felt bad. Some even tried to cover them with shields, but those go down quick. Stopped using that spot for fear of that tactic being used against me.

MechDX

That's good to hear. Wonder how that process works out. You don't want every game to feel the same, but you want to avoid crazy CPM deviations.

Hopefully this inspires even more plants to attack teleporters. It's fun spreading out the action like that even if there is one particular teleporter that really needs to be moved or removed from the spawn rotation. That spawn is a deathtrap for any number of building engineers and their potential support. I was crit killing 3 Zombie Engineers so often I felt bad. Some even tried to cover them with shields, but those go down quick. Stopped using that spot for fear of that tactic being used against me.

I love dropping corn attacks from my cactus drone on the teleporters. One of those and a few seconds from the gun wipes it out.

Mindlog

Yeah I like hiding my drone in trees to save fuel. Dropping the corn strike and backing up while firing works 9/10 times.

However, one teleporter doesn't need corn strikes to be utterly shut down. The teleporters before the final one on Garden Center are also very open. In that instance the walk is short and plants are just as open to getting sniped themselves.

This reminds me! I still think Rocket and Artichoke drones need a significant fuel increase. They're too vulnerable for the amount of damage they do compared the other drones. I could see myself using them to hunt enemy drone operators if they had more fuel. I really like killing enemy drone pilots with drones. Maybe I haven't spent enough time with the new drones to find their niche, but I've switch back to base drones already. Most of the other powers are excellent class compliments.

Wizman23

Banned
Hey C Jo any new gardens and graveyards maps coming out? I would pay 50 bucks for a map pack. That is the most fun I have in multiplayer since Halo 2.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I bought this game expecting to be able to have split-screen co-op able to play with others online for XB1. Why is that not possible? Is there any chance of it being patched in? The game itself is decent, but with how much the word co-op is plastered on the back of the box, I'm pretty disappointed. No lobbies, no online split-screen, and no second player gaining XP make this a pretty big let down.

fritolay

I bought this game expecting to be able to have split-screen co-op able to play with others online for XB1. Why is that not possible? Is there any chance of it being patched in? The game itself is decent, but with how much the word co-op is plastered on the back of the box, I'm pretty disappointed. No lobbies, no online split-screen, and no second player gaining XP make this a pretty big let down.

DAMNed it yes.

Most all people I know have to take turns playing online multiplayer, when they thought COOP online multiplayer would be what they were getting.

People play COD because, they can play COOP online multiplayer and that is more fun with friends.

Please add this to the game J!

pacman85

DAMNed it yes.

Most all people I know have to take turns playing online multiplayer, when they thought COOP online multiplayer would be what they were getting.

People play COD because, they can play COOP online multiplayer and that is more fun with friends.

Please add this to the game J!
I don't know of many games anymore where you can do split screen AND be able to get into online multiplayer games anymore. I know Halo 4 can do it but I didn't think CoD could. I thought if you did split screen it was only a local and nothing actually online. At least that is how it was in the last CoD game I played (Black Ops maybe?).

I don't know of many games anymore where you can do split screen AND be able to get into online multiplayer games anymore. I know Halo 4 can do it but I didn't think CoD could. I thought if you did split screen it was only a local and nothing actually online. At least that is how it was in the last CoD game I played (Black Ops maybe?).

Nah, you could do split screen and online on Black Ops (and every one since) i'm certain. It was just limited to 2 players, rather than 3 or 4 like Halo.

The number of games that have that option is sadly shrinking though, it's a shame and it would be awesome if PvZ could buck that trend. Not that it matters directly to me tho cos i'm on 360 and there's no split screen at all...

pacman85

Nah, you could do split screen and online on Black Ops (and every one since) i'm certain. It was just limited to 2 players, rather than 3 or 4 like Halo.

The number of games that have that option is sadly shrinking though, it's a shame and it would be awesome if PvZ could buck that trend. Not that it matters directly to me tho cos i'm on 360 and there's no split screen at all...
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Point still stands though that, like you said, there is not many games to allow this anymore.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual

Among my friends, split-screen online is very useful. Coming from 360 games that had it such as: Halo, Borderlands, Gears of War, and Left 4 Dead. I can understand that having 4 player split-screen online is difficult, but I would think 2 is manageable. I think right now CoD is the only XB1 game that has split-screen online.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I think what developers fail to see is that split screen is a great way to advertise the system. Someone comes over, plays the game and then thinks that they too need to go out and buy the system / game.

I sometimes think it was the reason why Halo / Gears of War was so successful. Now it's such a rarity that even games where local co-op should be in, like Halo Spartan Assault, don't have it.

eastx

Every single Gears of War game, every retail FPS Halo game on 360, Minecraft... Even Earth Defense Force 2025 allows it on Xbox 360.

There's quite a lot (even if it's not the majority). You can check Co-Optimus to find more.

I think what developers fail to see is that split screen is a great way to advertise the system. Someone comes over, plays the game and then thinks that they too need to go out and buy the system / game.

While true, that's not really what developers of non-first party games are looking to achieve. Yes, they want their game to sell, but when they look at the numbers, the amount of resources that would go into creating split screen and optimizing against that probably outweigh the potential monetary benefit.

eastx

While true, that's not really what developers of non-first party games are looking to achieve. Yes, they want their game to sell, but when they look at the numbers, the amount of resources that would go into creating split screen and optimizing against that probably outweigh the potential monetary benefit.

On the other hand, when a game has no single-player content and already offers a split-screen mode, the extra effort involved with allowing the second player into online games actually greatly increases the value of the game. The split-screen as-is looks good as a listed feature but offers very little value to the package since it's implemented so haphazardly.

Yay, I've been wanting this game since launch and just managed to grab a used Amazon Prime like new version for $26. Can't wait for it to come Tues. :D

nampad

Got this with Titanfall today and my first impressions are great. When I played Titanfall afterwards, I just kept thinking about going back to PvZ.
Of course, I don't know anything about the balancing etc. but Gardens and Graveyards seems like a good mode. The ingame challenges are motivating and well integrated in the UI.

Don't know if it was good or bad that the stupid updates (after I download the patch I have to download another thing ingame?) stopped me from showing the game to my nephew before he had to leave. He probably wouldn't have wanted to leave for the whole day ;)

Got this with Titanfall today and my first impressions are great. When I played Titanfall afterwards, I just kept thinking about going back to PvZ.
Of course, I don't know anything about the balancing etc. but Gardens and Graveyards seems like a good mode. The ingame challenges are motivating and well integrated in the UI.

Don't know if it was good or bad that the stupid updates (after I download the patch I have to download another thing ingame?) stopped me from showing the game to my nephew before he had to leave. He probably wouldn't have wanted to leave for the whole day ;)

360?
I recently had to delete, redownload the Garden Variety pack, and restart to get the game past the main menu.

Every single Gears of War game, every retail FPS Halo game on 360, Minecraft... Even Earth Defense Force 2025 allows it on Xbox 360.

There's quite a lot (even if it's not the majority). You can check Co-Optimus to find more.

You've made me feel like an idiot now. When I posted the previous reply I couldn't think of hardly any, and then when you posted this I realised I not only own all of these games but also played them split screen and online for hundreds of hours...

Just from the ones I have sitting in my collection here...Borderlands 1 + 2, Gears of War 1, 2, 3, Judgement, Halo Anniversary/3/ODST/Reach/4, Unreal Tournament 3, Far Cry 3, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 + 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 1 + 2, Lord of the Rings: Conquest, Perfect Dark Zero and both Left 4 Dead games.

And as eastx said, PvZ is in a fairly unique situation in that it allows split screen, and online, but just not together. With the engine already capable of running it (surprisingly - are there any other split screen Frostbite engine games?) it shouldn't take much extra work to roll it out across the whole game. There is a precedent - UT3 on PS3 shipped without split screen but it was added in a patch later on. Let's keep pestering!

FYI - The Xbox One version is currently $29.99 on Amazon for anyone who has been holding out.

Can't recommend it enough! Do it! Do it now!

Edit: Same deal at Best Buy online too.

Shylock

I really enjoy playing this game, but the (at least for me) seriously broken chat on xbox one makes it impossible for me to coordinate with anyone on my team.

When I first start playing, things seem to work, then its back into la-la land as I see all the microphone icons flash with no actual audio output.

Titanfall doesn't seem to have this issue, so am I just stuck looking for a party if I want to work with people?

Okey so who's got the info on new DLC? The achievements are out and it's mostly gnome bomb achievements but there is one that says this:

Hole In One
Push the Golf-Bomb into the Hole in Cactus Canyon

Golf-bomb? Cactus Canyon? I smell new map/game mode.

on another note:

And as eastx said, PvZ is in a fairly unique situation in that it allows split screen, and online, but just not together. With the engine already capable of running it (surprisingly - are there any other split screen Frostbite engine games?) it shouldn't take much extra work to roll it out across the whole game. There is a precedent - UT3 on PS3 shipped without split screen but it was added in a patch later on. Let's keep pestering!

There is absolutely nothing easy about that. UT3 probably took split screen into account during the entire development and coded their systems accordingly. Just because they have one offline split-screen mode in the game doesn't mean that the code can be just thrown into regular multiplayer or online Garden Ops.

Okey so who's got the info on new DLC? The achievements are out and it's mostly gnome bomb achievements but there is one that says this:

Hole In One
Push the Golf-Bomb into the Hole in Cactus Canyon

Golf-bomb? Cactus Canyon? I smell new map/game mode.

:O
Can't wait!

Wish there was a performance patch for 360. The pop-in is starting to get to me :/

eastx

There is absolutely nothing easy about that. UT3 probably took split screen into account during the entire development and coded their systems accordingly. Just because they have one offline split-screen mode in the game doesn't mean that the code can be just thrown into regular multiplayer or online Garden Ops.

It's surely easier than if the game didn't have split-screen to begin with. But the Garden Warfare team should have known that split-screen players would want to be able to use their own profiles and participate in online games during the development process instead of releasing a lackluster split-screen mode as an afterthought.

It's surely easier than if the game didn't have split-screen to begin with. But the Garden Warfare team should have known that split-screen players would want to be able to use their own profiles and participate in online games during the development process instead of releasing a lackluster split-screen mode as an afterthought.

Easier as in slightly less difficult? Sure. The split-screen mode that's currently in the game could probably have been done by a single coder in a couple of days. The mode you're asking for would require orders of magnitude more work for something only a handful of players would use.

You're saying "they should've done a complete split-screen enabled game instead of this lackluster mode" but the real choice they had with time and money considered was probably more along the lines of "we either ship the game without any local multiplayer or we can have Joe throw something together in a couple of days".

eastx

Easier as in slightly less difficult? Sure. The split-screen mode that's currently in the game could probably have been done by a single coder in a couple of days. The mode you're asking for would require orders of magnitude more work for something only a handful of players would use.

You're saying "they should've done a complete split-screen enabled game instead of this lackluster mode" but the real choice they had with time and money considered was probably more along the lines of "we either ship the game without any local multiplayer or we can have Joe throw something together in a couple of days".

The number of split-screen players who would want to join online games is probably almost exactly the same number of players who would want to play split-screen period. (We already know the player has Xbox Live Gold since the game requires it.) So describing that number as only a handful of players is underestimating it IMO. Yeah, it's less than the full number of people who will buy the game but local multiplayer is no small thing.

I mean, if you're going to add split-screen in the first place, you might as well make the mode worthwhile. Said coder's few days of work could have at least allowed the second player to use a separate profile. Without that ability, there's very little reason for anyone to engage in the mode at all. Even Co-Optimus's review came to that conclusion.

Also, they could have planned for the potential to improve the mode in the future if the game did well, as you described for Unreal Tournament 3.

Not that I have my hopes up for any split-screen improvements since the EA staffer who posts here has chosen not to address them.

The number of split-screen players who would want to join online games is probably almost exactly the same number of players who would want to play split-screen period. (We already know the player has Xbox Live Gold since the game requires it.) So describing that number as only a handful of players is underestimating it IMO. Yeah, it's less than the full number of people who will buy the game but local multiplayer is no small thing.

I mean, if you're going to add split-screen in the first place, you might as well make the mode worthwhile. Said coder's few days of work could have at least allowed the second player to use a separate profile. Without that ability, there's no very little reason for anyone to engage in the mode at all. Even Co-Optimus's review came to that conclusion.

Also, they could have planned for the potential to improve the mode in the future if the game did well, as you described for Unreal Tournament 3.

Not that I have my hopes up for any split-screen improvements since the EA staffer who posts here has chosen not to address them.

This I absolutely agree with and it's perfectly reasonable. My points were mostly about adding split-screen to online multiplayer/online garden ops.

Top Bottom