• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare |OT| Prepare for Gardenful of War

Easier as in slightly less difficult? Sure. The split-screen mode that's currently in the game could probably have been done by a single coder in a couple of days. The mode you're asking for would require orders of magnitude more work for something only a handful of players would use.

You're saying "they should've done a complete split-screen enabled game instead of this lackluster mode" but the real choice they had with time and money considered was probably more along the lines of "we either ship the game without any local multiplayer or we can have Joe throw something together in a couple of days".

The fundamentally difficult part of putting split screen support in an engine is actually just that. Once its in, the hardest work is already done. This wasn't something they threw in at the last second; we knew about it well in advance of release. Look at something like the upcoming Timesplitters Rewind - unlike the originals, it won't have split screen support because the engine they're using (CryEngine 3) doesn't support it. Now if PvZ had shipped without any form of local multiplayer I would have just chalked it up to the Frostbite engine similarly not supporting split screen, as I can't name any game that runs on it that has that mode. But as the mode is there, the easy part is actually optimising it for online use, as split screen optimisation is often easier than single player - see the Blur Digital Foundry article on this for an example.

Still, I really appreciated the support they're giving this game post-release. Downloading the Zomboss Down pack right now :)

Archpath1

would you guys recommend it this game? any bugs, super lag and crazy shit?
I've been pretty interested in this game, looking for something fun and chill to play every now and then, but just waiting for some extra cash

I've been pretty interested in this game, looking for something fun and chill to play every now and then, but just waiting for some extra cash

Yes, absolutely. Probably the most fun i've had in a team-based shooter since Shadowrun, not that they're similar!

As for bugs, depends on format. I've played nearly 25 hours on the 360 version, and i've experienced two disconnects in the whole time. Texture streaming is implemented on that platform, so levels take a while to load up to full graphical quality, but once done it looks very similar to the Xbox One version. I've had a couple of instances of lag but for the most part runs very smoothly, and aside from a few quirks of the Frostbite engine (0% health bug) nothing springs to mind as a problem.

I've play a couple of hours on XB1 and it's double the framerate, but otherwise pretty much identical. I didn't experience any lag but others here have reported problems with random disconnects, although I think that was more in the immediate launch period than still occurring now. Game has been out less than two months and we've already had two maps, a new game mode, and a bunch of new customisation items and skills all for free (all DLC is apparently going to be free). I paid £24.99 for my copy on launch day and it's the best investment i've made in a long while.

I've had the game for a few weeks but really haven't put in a ton of time. However, during that time, I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever. Haven't noticed any bugs and I haven't lost connection at all. For me, it's very solid. As for the gameplay itself, it's a lot of fun. I'm pretty terrible at these types of games but I'm still enjoying it. It's not pricey and you get free DLC. Definitely worth the purchase.

mcfly1955

Neo Member
I played about 2 hours or so last night and I’m a big fan of the update so far (although I didn’t get to try the new map yet…weird).

The thing I like most about the update is that I don’t feel like I have to switch to Zombies every game, or back out, because the point difference was so big prior to the update (and I have limited time to play). I pretty much play Gardens and Graveyards exclusively unless I need to get in a quick game or if I’m just a few thousand away from a 20,000 coin pack.

I was getting about 12-15,000 points per game on G&G with ease on BOTH the plant side and the zombie side. You see the point indicator popping up a lot more now for assists, extra points in the garden, and a bonus each time a garden is won or lost.

I’ll be able to get 4+ 20,000 card packs per session now, which is a lot better than just getting 1 every hour or two that I was getting before.

I played about 2 hours or so last night and I’m a big fan of the update so far (although I didn’t get to try the new map yet…weird).

The thing I like most about the update is that I don’t feel like I have to switch to Zombies every game, or back out, because the point difference was so big prior to the update (and I have limited time to play). I pretty much play Gardens and Graveyards exclusively unless I need to get in a quick game or if I’m just a few thousand away from a 20,000 coin pack.

I was getting about 12-15,000 points per game on G&G with ease on BOTH the plant side and the zombie side. You see the point indicator popping up a lot more now for assists, extra points in the garden, and a bonus each time a garden is won or lost.

I’ll be able to get 4+ 20,000 card packs per session now, which is a lot better than just getting 1 every hour or two that I was getting before.

Great to hear that they upped the coins for G&G. It was so one-sided before. Definitely see myself going back to this more often now.

How do I download DLC on the xbone? I just got the game last night and put the disc into so that it would be installed for me today. I'm ready to play but don't see DLC on the us store.

sangreal

How do I download DLC on the xbone? I just got the game last night and put the disc into so that it would be installed for me today. I'm ready to play but don't see DLC on the us store.

it's an update so it would have been applied during installation

you don't need to buy or download anything separately

C-Jo

It's likely that it automatically updated. If you're able to connect to the servers and play, you have the DLC. There's a new Zomboss Down pack in the sticker shop, and the Cactus Canyon map has been added to all the usual playlists.

fritolay

I stopped playing Titanfall as my go to game, after that followed BF4. Now it is this game. It is just so much fun. What really pushes it over to my go to game is the 2nd DLC in 2 months, each with over 200+ customization additions, and bug fixes. Props to PopCap. I really hope they have made a new franchise game they make sequals for.

Anyone know how good this game is selling?

Again, really would like to see 2 player COOP multiplayer online. If they can't do that, then make the actual split-screen mode provide coins for both players. As it is now the only COOP mode is a rip off for the 2nd player who gets nothing in return.

Caayn

One of my teammates glitched or hacked in a match of Gardens & Graveyards. He was playing as a peashooter while we were the zombies.

nampad

I hate the way they put out their updates. Just do a patch instead of that ingame update DLC. It already stopped me twice from playing right away.

Whatever, just had my second game session and after playing the healing classes (my favorite in any shooter) I tried the peashooter and the allstar. The latter is just a BEAST, damn. I killed enemies left and right with him. He feels way too overpowered. His main weapon literally slashes through enemies and his tackle , imp and shield ability are all great. Of course, I haven't really played the other chars but my experience with the sunflower, scientist and peashooter weren't so well.

I understand that the healers are there to heal but their damage output may be too low. The sunbeam is nice but you are stuck and the cooldown makes it a rare tool. The sunflower is a healing monster though. The scientist on the other hand doesn't excel at healing, I expected more.
Also disappointing was the pea shooter. Class feels boring and the damage output wasn't something to write home except when you use the gatling, which will get you stuck again.

Mindlog

How exactly does one go about actually playing the DLC maps and what not? Just search and hope it comes up?
Pretty much. If you want to get DLC characters though you need to buy those packs.
I understand that the healers are there to heal but their damage output may be too low. The sunbeam is nice but you are stuck and the cooldown makes it a rare tool. The sunflower is a healing monster though. The scientist on the other hand doesn't excel at healing, I expected more.
Also disappointing was the pea shooter. Class feels boring and the damage output wasn't something to write home except when you use the gatling, which will get you stuck again.
A lot of the base classes are like that. They put in work, but nothing special. The variants are monsters. Chemist will smash anything at close range. Toxic Peashooters are excellent vs groups.

I stopped playing Titanfall as my go to game, after that followed BF4. Now it is this game. It is just so much fun. What really pushes it over to my go to game is the 2nd DLC in 2 months, each with over 200+ customization additions, and bug fixes. Props to PopCap. I really hope they have made a new franchise game they make sequals for.

Anyone know how good this game is selling?

Again, really would like to see 2 player COOP multiplayer online. If they can't do that, then make the actual split-screen mode provide coins for both players. As it is now the only COOP mode is a rip off for the 2nd player who gets nothing in return.

Can't speak for the whole world, but here in the UK as far as I know the 360 version has never been out of the top 10, and the XB1 version is still in the top 40. Pretty well, I think.

So the 360 version doesn't have offline multiplayer at all? Has it been mentioned if it'll be patched in or something later?

Nope, nothing. You can play Garden Ops by yourself, that's the entire offline experience. Apparently split screen and boss mode are XB1 exclusive modes. Game's still awesome on 360 tho.

dorkimoe

They really have to fix the connection issues. Made it to boss round. We died. I used retry card. Connection lost :/

Ok seriously. Anyone else lose connection constantly? I can finish 1 game. By the second game it just loses connection to EA? Is it the game? My xbox. Or my internet?

One of my teammates glitched or hacked in a match of Gardens & Graveyards. He was playing as a peashooter while we were the zombies.

that happens when you switch teams, my brother has had that happen a few times now, he doesn't like being plants so he switches and the glitch happens

new map is really fun but i rarely play it but oh well

nampad

Pretty much. If you want to get DLC characters though you need to buy those packs.

A lot of the base classes are like that. They put in work, but nothing special. The variants are monsters. Chemist will smash anything at close range. Toxic Peashooters are excellent vs groups.

I get the variants from the sticker packs or DLC?

Nope, nothing. You can play Garden Ops by yourself, that's the entire offline experience. Apparently split screen and boss mode are XB1 exclusive modes. Game's still awesome on 360 tho.

That's not entirely true. You have to go online to play Garden Ops by yourself. Couldn't even start it without Xbox Live Gold.

Matchmaking is terrible in gardens and graveyards. I constantly have games where the zombies have 3 more players than the plants the entire round and its just a stompfest. Please fix.

Caayn

Is there no way to play with friends in a mulitplayer match? One of my buddies just got it but each time we want to invite each other the options "join" or "invite to game" are grayed out.

Mindlog

So apparently idling your xbox in G&G to whore coins is a thing now? We need an option to boot these assholes.
Well it was easy to do in GO, but now it shouldn't be a problem. Not talking about Cactii and Engineer right?
I get the variants from the sticker packs or DLC?
The newest DLC has its own sticker pack for now. You van get those variants from the 30k packs or 40k packs. You have to buy the sticker packs to unlock classes.

Matchmaking is terrible in gardens and graveyards. I constantly have games where the zombies have 3 more players than the plants the entire round and its just a stompfest. Please fix.

Agreed. I actually always spawn, check the team sizes, and if necessary switch at the start of every round. Doesn't always do me a favour but it makes for a much more interesting game, walkovers such.

Mindlog

I haven't seen an uptick in idlers. Aside from all the Engineers and Cactii that look idle of course.
yup notice that a lot now, smh :/

I will say this, if the game ever comes out on PS4 i might double dip, its that good B^)
I was thinking the same thing, but losing my inventory would suck. Cricket All-Star, Plumber, Mechanic, Toxic Pea, Camo/Fire Cactus, Chemist, Super Commando, Skytrooper, Fire Chomper, Turbo Chomper. Lots of great options would disappear!

p3tran

Banned
Is there no way to play with friends in a mulitplayer match? One of my buddies just got it but each time we want to invite each other the options "join" or "invite to game" are grayed out.

I guess you already sort it out, but in case you didnt, you just have to get into a party with your friend(s), then from there you just pick "invite party to game", and from then on, whatever you join your party will follow.

zorbsie

Finally picked this game up. Really fun times. Love the look of it too. If anyone wants to add me for some MP my GT is zorbs. I have the xb1 version.

Caayn

I guess you already sort it out, but in case you didnt, you just have to get into a party with your friend(s), then from there you just pick "invite party to game", and from then on, whatever you join your party will follow.
No we haven't, thanks for the tip we'll try that.

Edit:

We got it working via your way, thanks :)

How is the 360 version? $30 seems like a good deal, do many people here play it?

720p/30fps vs the XB1 900p/60fps, and it uses texture streaming so it takes a while to reach full graphical fidelity. Also missing the split screen and boss modes, but otherwise completely identical. It's the version I have and I love it, always tons of people playing.

Mindlog

720p/30fps vs the XB1 900p/60fps, and it uses texture streaming so it takes a while to reach full graphical fidelity. Also missing the split screen and boss modes, but otherwise completely identical. It's the version I have and I love it, always tons of people playing.
Also switching classes can take forever because of the texture streaming.
The streaming issues can have an effect on geometry for extended periods of time.
I'll very rarely get massive near-crash levels of slowdown.

With all of those issues it will likely be my most played console game this year. Very happy with it on 360. When it's running smoothly it actually looks quite nice for a 360 title.

Ghazi

I picked it up last night, had a blast playing it! I am pretty confused about everything, though, I do a good job with vanquishing enemies as the Foot Soldier/Pea Shooter.

I'm usually only playing on Fridays and Sats, but if anyone wants to add me for some partying hit me up at "Ghazzarro"

sangreal

Before anyone screams “microtransactions!” in horror, it doesn’t look like the option will really offer any type of in-game advantage and won’t turn Garden Warfare into a pay-to-win scheme.

How can you say weapon upgrades don't offer an in-game advantage?

I picked it up last night, had a blast playing it! I am pretty confused about everything, though, I do a good job with vanquishing enemies as the Foot Soldier/Pea Shooter.

I'm usually only playing on Fridays and Sats, but if anyone wants to add me for some partying hit me up at "Ghazzarro"

I'm right in the middle of submission for my final uni project, but after that i'm in!

Top Bottom