• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Riposte

Much obliged, that's advice I didn't even know I know I wanted.

If you want to play like I did (and raise your blood pressure), do Hard while not allowing yourself any deaths for missions. Each mission you get 3 deaths before you fail, which makes the game much easier (at the expense of scoring well, which also means unlocking other missions faster), though not a complete cake walk with the harder bosses (or certain tight time base missions). With no deaths, you basically have very little room to get greedy or make even a small mistake against certain enemies and the AI is downright ruthless (ultimately, you are highly disadvantaged). I think you could try the Durga fight from the first White chapter in the demo on Hard (or maybe I just played that first before going back to Black? fuzzy memory), so that was a baptism by fire for me - I think it took well over a dozen tries and there were a few missions like that even after playing the game for awhile. With that limitation in place, getting items becomes rather important, so the overworld content, as weird/cheap as it is, gains meaning. The overworld is a little underwhelming (at least with a low kill count), but some of the crap it throws at you when you hit a certain number of kills is fucking ridiculous lol. The game also has a bunch of variety (non-fight focused or very gimmicky) missions, for better or worse, but I like most of them. I think the moment they won me over was when I was doing a race mission (that was admittedly easy and short) while the Fast Lane song was playing; I couldn't stop grinning for a reason that's hard for me to explain.

While writing my top 10 GotY for GAF, I went back to Anarchy Reign's single player and was surprised by how good it felt jumping back even a half of a year later. I had some doubts that maybe my fun time with it was just depended on the moment I was playing it, but that wasn't the case at all. I was totally engaged just picking a random chapter and doing a few missions. I think it's underrated by Platinum game fans given since most people don't acknowledge its existence and those who do don't give the campaign much credit.

Btw, if you care about achievements/trophies, there's some real stupid stuff going on there with play order and such, so at the very least read a guide on it.

Hopefully we can get Wonder Red announced for smash with a huge trailer.

You know, that is the number 1 thing I want for E3. Followed closely by Bayonetta for Smash.

wonder red needs to be in super smash bros. he is a perfect fit for the series.

welp

zlCfzR5gUdMqlUUAA5

Huh. I don't know how to feel about that. Showing him as a trophy instead of a reveal trailer pretty much means he's not playable, right? :/

There could still be a TW101 representative, though I'd much prefer seeing Bayonetta or Jeanne in the game.

I'd say Jeanne is way more likely, since she doesn't get naked for her attacks.

Uh, is there precedent for a secondary character to be included before the main character in their series? I'd say Jeanne is pretty much a clear no unless Bayonetta is in.

Bayonetta only gets lightly clothed when using Wicked Weaves and Umbra Climaxes; I see no problem omitting that, um, feature, especially considering those moves would be special attacks and/or Final Smashes at most.

A W101 rep is probably less realistic; someone in the Smash thread discussed how it would not be possible to have Unite Morphs in the game for balance reasons (way too large compared to the attacks of the rest of the cast) and I have to agree.

Oh wow. That never ending juggle is so awesome!

Though he could have turned those turtles upside down and made the battle easier.

Great video, nonetheless.

The point is to maximize combo score, basically by doing less damage than optimal, which in the case of the turtles is best done by hitting the shells with the hammer. :) This video is average compared to his other ones, though.

Also, what happened with Saur and G+? I had no idea until now.

Frodo

The point is to maximize combo score, basically by doing less damage than optimal, which in the case of the turtles is best done by hitting the shells with the hammer. :) This video is average compared to his other ones, though.

Good point.

But he also could have used the Unite gun to raise the multiplier... :p
So OP.

Good point.

But he also could have used the Unite gun to raise the multiplier... :p
So OP.

Yeah, Unite Gun is a bit crazy for that. I almost think something went wrong with the way it shoots the multiplier through the roof, it feels like cheating. :/ To say nothing of Unite Big Green.

I guess Saur's videos would not be all that interesting if they consisted of two minutes of Unite Gun, then a brutal five second beatdown. :D

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't know what's up with those Google+ shenanigans, but apparently Saur is back

Return of the king baby!

A while back, YouTube switched their comment system to Google Plus, despite everyone's protests and displeasure. Saur was one of the many people angered by this so he closed off all comments and said he's not coming back because of Google Plus.

Now that YouTube is working on removing Google Plus from the system, it sounds like Saur is back.

Just beat Bayonetta. It was amazing. I loved every minute of it. I'm gonna keep playing it in order to unlock some more stuff, but I'd like a recommendation on what to play next. So far I've played through Metal Gear Rising and Bayo. Also, the only 7th gen console I own is a PS3. No 8th gen console so no WiiU (I do plan on getting one for W101 and Bayo 2). Thanks in advance.

Riki

Just beat Bayonetta. It was amazing. I loved every minute of it. I'm gonna keep playing it in order to unlock some more stuff, but I'd like a recommendation on what to play next. So far I've played through Metal Gear Rising and Bayo. Also, the only 7th gen console I own is a PS3. No 8th gen console so no WiiU (I do plan on getting one for W101 and Bayo 2). Thanks in advance.

Vanquish then MadWorld

Oh, right, that weird overworld. Now I remember playing a couple hours of the campaign. Yeah, that was just weird as a mission hub, kinda threw me off, but that's great that you find a way to make it more relevant.

I won't even pretend to be as committed as I imagine you are when it comes to challenges, but I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot as you say, especially with scoring involved. I own the damn thing, so there's none of the usual impetus to get another game back to Gamefly that I've for better and worse gotten myself used to.

I tend not to bother with trophies, but thanks for the heads up.

Akiller

I don't know what's up with those Google+ shenanigans, but apparently Saur is back

Omg I need to replay W101 but unlockables seem too hard this time :(

Saur's videos are very useful to learn tricks like cyclone loop or unite tomb+wonder rising loop. In general i found W101 tricks or advanced techincs easier to learn than Bayo's ones ( not to mention DMC4 Dante), but that's not a bad thing at all i think.

abadguy

Banned
Assuming there is an exclusive Platinum game coming to the Xbox One, what genre would Microsoft have paid for?

Character action, shooter, or something else? Kamiya is rumored to be in charge of the project, but the man is versatile.

There was a recent supposed "leak" posted in the MS E3 thread about it being a beat em up in the vein of Viewtiful Joe.

Ushiwaka

Did Brea ever do a Bayonetta combo video? Her DMC vids are really amazing. I've always wondered how good is she in Bayo.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
From elsewhere, the real reason you play Clover/Platinum games - because when you finish one, you feel like this:

CxcN9rS.jpg

Regiruler

From elsewhere, the real reason you play Clover/Platinum games - because when you finish one, you feel like this:

CxcN9rS.jpg

What is this from? It reminds me of Tabuu but the design is different.

EDIT: It could easily be a PG game that I haven't played, so far I've only played W101 and MGR.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What is this from? It reminds me of Tabuu but the design is different.

EDIT: It could easily be a PG game that I haven't played, so far I've only played W101 and MGR.

A google image search suggests it's from someone's 1980's airbrushed cosmic consciousness t-shirt art.

Ushiwaka

A new post on P* blog, by composer Masami Ueda this time.

I'm surprised he didn't mention his work on the Devil May Cry soundtrack at all. It's my personal favourite among his works.

This guy is a legend. Ueda and Hiroshi Yamaguchi composed two of my favorite OSTs of all time. Okami and Bayonetta OSTs.

And I should also mention Rei Kondo and Akari Groves for Okami OST. And Ayaka Hirahara for the beautiful song, Reset!

God, Okami's OST was amazing...

This guy is a legend. Ueda and Hiroshi Yamaguchi composed two of my favorite OSTs of all time. Okami and Bayonetta OSTs.

And I should also mention Rei Kondo and Akari Groves for Okami OST. And Ayaka Hirahara for the beautiful song, Reset!

God, Okami's OST was amazing...

It really was. I even included some tracks on a music CD I made for my pilates teacher; it's cool listening to it at class. :D (rest was Xenogears/Xenoblade/Chrono Cross/Nier/Final Fantasy/To the Moon).

Ushiwaka

Ok I'm dying laughing at this. LOL

tumblr_mjdw58dq2j1s6cq8zo1_500.jpg

Kamiya is the reason I go to Twitter....

VhEvVdT.png

vg46sFS.png

I don't know why there is no E3 HYPE for Platinum in this thread :( At the very least we will get new trailers for Bayo 2...

Something tells me there will be 2 new Platinum titles in this E3. BELIEVE.

SonicTHP

Neo Member
I think that well at least see one new PG game and more Bayo2, because there's still a lot more to show.

Does anyone know if Kamiya is going to be at E3 or is he sitting this one out?

Ushiwaka

I think that well at least see one new PG game and more Bayo2, because there's still a lot more to show.

g97kQQl.jpg

Personally, I think he wont be there. Its too soon for his game to be revealed.
I have a feeling Bayo 2 will be Nintendo's next big game after Mario Kart 8 and will release very shortly after E3.

GET HYPE

Hell yeah. The world needs Bayo 2 soon.

PorllM

Banned
So I played Metal Gear Rising over the weekend because it was on my PS+ backlog, my first Platinum game. Ended up completing it one day because I couldn't turn it off, incredible game.

I ordered Wonderful 101 straight away and I also have Vanquish on PS+ so I am now part of PlatinumGAF. Can't wait to see what they do on PS4.

EDIT: Also as a Wii U owner, I guess I should play Bayonetta before the sequel comes out, seeing as it's winning the poll.

Hypron

Ok I'm dying laughing at this. LOL

tumblr_mjdw58dq2j1s6cq8zo1_500.jpg

I don't know why there is no E3 HYPE for Platinum in this thread :( At the very least we will get new trailers for Bayo 2...

Something tells me there will be 2 new Platinum titles in this E3. BELIEVE.

I hope a nextgen/pc MGR:R2 is announced if that's the case. The first one was amazing even though it went through development hell and Platinum had a fairly limited time frame to work on their version of it. With a full dev cycle a sequel could be absolutely outstanding.

I feel like it's too soon for MGR2 to be announced, unless Konami wants to announce it way early and make the wait unbearable D:

Next E3 seems more likely to me.

And speaking of MGR I need to hurry up and go back to platinum it, just need to do the S ranks for revengeance and bosses with 0 damage.
Had to take a break after playing it to death getting all the other trophies :p

Nemmy

I feel like it's too soon for MGR2 to be announced, unless Konami wants to announce it way early and make the wait unbearable D:

Next E3 seems more likely to me.

I'd rather they announced it early, the uncertainty is killing me D:
And I really hope something amazing is shown at the E3 and this thread explodes with hype, it's way too quiet recently.

And speaking of MGR I need to hurry up and go back to platinum it, just need to do the S ranks for revengeance and bosses with 0 damage.
Had to take a break after playing it to death getting all the other trophies :p

Get ready to be driven crazy by Armstrong (or both Armstrongs, if you're doing Sam's DLC too).
That said, I should probably, uh, at least finish all the VR missions >.>

Ushiwaka

Ok Kamiya just answered this question with the (in)famous "('@')" smiley. Fishy stuff going on here.

It has been more than a year since MGR's release. I say the chances of a sequel getting announced is not that low. :D

And I really hope something amazing is shown at the E3 and this thread explodes with hype, it's way too quiet recently.

Well you know what they say... Its the calm before the STORM! :D

Get ready to be driven crazy by Armstrong (or both Armstrongs, if you're doing Sam's DLC too).
That said, I should probably, uh, at least finish all the VR missions >.>

Yeah I'm not looking forward to Armstrong D:

Not doing DLC's though, they're $10.35 for Bladewolf and $14.45 for Jetstream on the Australian store. That's almost the price I paid for the base game -_-'

popyea

Yeah I'm not looking forward to Armstrong D:

Not doing DLC's though, they're $10.35 for Bladewolf and $14.45 for Jetstream on the Australian store. That's almost the price I paid for the base game -_-'

Sam's DLC is actually worth it though. The mechanics are meaningfully different, like it could have been the foundation for a different type of action game. Maybe see if you can find the PC version cheap, which has all DLC included.

Top Bottom