• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I mean I felt bad for the guy but I had to put him out of his misery.

3e42jqn.gif

Mit-

So here's what you do. Cue this up in your Discord chat with your pals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2rVnRwW0h8

Then start playing it as soon as you all board the plane. Once he says "3, 2, 1, let's jam" you all jump out of the plane regardless of where you might land.

Trust me it goes perfectly with the entire starting sequence, and your freefall will feel ultra badass. Like you're about to carry out a heist or something.

I just had a really funny experience.

I leave Pochinki, then hear shooting between the church and the wizard tower. I see blood spurts on the guy in the church and a death message matching the gun, but then I look and see a death box near the tower. I'm really confused when the church guy runs down and starts looking at my tree. Suddenly, I'm shot from behind by the tower guy.

I think neither of them actually killed the other, and both assumed I was the other one and shot me at once.

Venfayth

I don't think higher settings would affect any of those situations. It's not that big of a difference and the first clip has some form of vibrance/reshade I'm pretty sure.

Yup. I'm using reshade. It's kind of ugly but as you pointed out it makes it much easier to see people.

Instead or redoing their architecture why not just buy more server resources from amazon. Double your current allocation. It's a lot of money, your making a lot of money. crank out the cosmetics and start swimming in money.

No sympathy for companies that are successful and won't spend SOME of that success to make things better for the existing customer.

JDB

Banned
I can give them some slack for the server issues considering it's basically the most popular Steam game ever out of nowhere.

Erheller

Instead or redoing their architecture why not just buy more server resources from amazon. Double your current allocation. It's a lot of money, your making a lot of money. crank out the cosmetics and start swimming in money.

No sympathy for companies that are successful and won't spend SOME of that success to make things better for the existing customer.

This issue can't be solved by buying twice as many servers. Their underlying architecture makes it difficult for them to handle more than a million players at once, and throwing more servers at the problem won't help. It's silly to say "oh just buy more servers", because almost nothing is that clean and simple in real life.

There are lots of things that Bluehole has handled terribly (like the default AS server, or the crouch jump glitch, just to name a few), but this is not one of them.

shootfast

Since you can't read here's the relevant parts
We anticipated about 1 million concurrent users in the beginning of our Early Access period and that is when our lobby server was initially designed. Since the end of June, our concurrent player base saw a rapid increase so we started designing a new server architecture. However, the number of users increased faster than our development speed which resulted in more connection and server issues recently.
Recently, the number of concurrent players in Asia has rapidly increased and there were times the cloud service we've been using could not provide more physical servers. To address this problem, we added servers from another cloud service without sufficient testing. Some servers overloaded, which caused frequent crashes.

They ran out of AWS servers... as in Amazon ran out of physical servers!!!!!!

psn

I play pubg since the alpha but boy, the performance is still way too weak.

I mean, the framerate isn't even the problem, since I have mostly over 100fps. But even at 120-140fps, it feels like 30-50fps in Battlefield 1 for example. Try playing bf1 or cs:go instantly after a match in pubg, it's ridiculous.

So I think it must have sth to do with the frametimes.

Settings are all on low-medium.

GTX 1070 GLH
7700k @5GHz
32GB cl14

Damn, I love the game, but I hate the performance.
Is there a benchmark with frametimes available somewhere?

Also: I am hungry for a new map, after 500hrs it is getting a bit boring to play the same map.

So what are the current settings to run? Getting back in after a spell, and I know there's been updates.

Last I played there was this weird thing where setting some options to High would offload the CPU onto the GPU and increase performance for some, but I assume that's been fixed.

I see something about a DPI option to be changed, I'll definitely be doing that. Anything else relevant for an AMD 390 user?

Gah, I just had an amazingly tense fog game that I blew right before it got down to the wire.

I had a silenced Tommy gun and a Mini14, two kills, and was trying to stake out a silenced SKS in a wizard tower (the final circle was going to be prison of all things) when I heard someone pull up in a UAZ and get out. I nearly got them, but I was not used at all to the Tommy's recoil and didn't pull down enough so half my shots went over his head.

aasoncott

NEVER GO TO A FUCKING CRATE. Jesus fuck.

I'm looting a house in the middle of nowhere. A crate falls nearby. I run to a hill overlooking it and set up for a bit. 1 vehicle drives up to it. That guy is shortly killed. Then someone else crouch runs to the crate. Someone else kills him. Then another guy runs to the crate. I kill him.

I wait a while. No movement at all. I slowly start crouch walking towards it and not 3 steps later I'm sniped by a mini14.

No idea where all these people came from but moral of the story is: fuck crates.

The very first round I ever played, a create dropped literally right beside me. I had no idea what it was. Walked up to it... Hey! It has stuff in it!

Took some things. Never saw anyone else. Left the area a few minutes later.

Wandered around. Knew enough to stay in the circle. When we were down to 12 people, I was headshotted out of nowhere. Never saw anyone, never fired a shot.

And it was great.

Thanks to all the attention, I went ahead and picked this up on Sunday. And last night, on only my 8th or 9th game, I got 2nd. So close! I would've won if I'd been calm enough to remember that I was carrying 2 double-barreled shotguns, instead of trying to reload when the guy survived both barrels.

Who knows how long it'll be before I get another shot at #1? :)

Fun game. I'm not much of an online player, but what a tense atmosphere this one has. I like it.

Blizzard

Banned
I shouldn't lose an encounter with 17 hit points in duos, right?
No, and I did 15 in a duo from a single auto round at a guy and didn't knock him out.

If there's any logic at all, there's a SLIGHT chance both our opponents had energy drinks active and just happened to get a tick in the middle of the full auto burst.

nothing

No, and I did 15 in a duo from a single auto round at a guy and didn't knock him out.

If there's any logic at all, there's a SLIGHT chance both our opponents had energy drinks active and just happened to get a tick in the middle of the full auto burst.

20hp = kill in solo or knock in duo/squad

nothing

Are you 100% certain? I had read it was 20 solo, 15 duo, 10 squad, and this matches the vast majority of my experience.

after consulting with the google, I've advised myself to insert foot in mouth and retract my original statement. Although it makes it a lot easier to just assume what I had thought and just go with that, it appears that I was mistaken and the actual formula has yet to be discovered+confirmed by PU/devs.

-I make an absolute fool of myself as I flashbang a guy (the stuns are good now!) and then... miss all 5 shotgun shots because he bunnyhops around, and I'm so stunned at how bad I am that I don't just switch to my M4 before it wears off and he kills me.

-I stalk a guy's house while in the middle of two in a row red zones, then I get shot from... somewhere? The lag was really weird, I actually got the death message while I was still alive on my screen for half a second, then a full second later I heard the second shot it would have actually taken to kill me.

-I spot a guy, then spot a guy stalking that guy, then shoot and kill second guy as first guy spots him and they fight, then first guy gets shot at by a third guy, so I shoot second guy in the back. All with ironsights SKS. Feeling like a huge kill stealing stinker, I spot a guy running toward a buggy, and he has to hide behind the only cover: a fuckboi shed. I manage to tag him a couple times, then another buggy drives up and tries to ram him but is stopped by the picnic table, bounces off, and drives away without either of us shooting him more than once. Shed guy finally runs to the trees because we're both in the blue, waits for me to follow him, but I manage to get him anyway. He has no meds (obviously) so I have to drive the buggy and I have very little meds myself, so I have to stop on the edge because it's a Yas circle and that means very little cover for a buggy. I keep listening and looking to see who else is in this compound, but don't see anyone. I hear gunfire close to my east, then suddenly hear steps outside my building, then the second I turn, someone very patient in another house in the compound gets me dead on with an M16 burst and tap.

is there any chance they add a training mode of some kind? I seriously struggle to get a feel for this game after 20 hours

Also, should I switch to TPP? Its easier to learn? I avoid it because everyone criticizes the camping

NEVER GO TO A FUCKING CRATE. Jesus fuck.

I'm looting a house in the middle of nowhere. A crate falls nearby. I run to a hill overlooking it and set up for a bit. 1 vehicle drives up to it. That guy is shortly killed. Then someone else crouch runs to the crate. Someone else kills him. Then another guy runs to the crate. I kill him.

I wait a while. No movement at all. I slowly start crouch walking towards it and not 3 steps later I'm sniped by a mini14.

No idea where all these people came from but moral of the story is: fuck crates.

If you play duo's or squad then roll up on a crate in a car while the passengers throw smokes then crouch in between the car and the crate. 👍 Avoid the crate if playing singles.

So apparently Bluehole consists almost entirely of fresh college grads / amateur developers. Their only other games are those really cheap spammy mobile games and apparently a failed MMO.

A huge chunk of the game's assets are simply purchased from the Unreal store with minimal optimization from Bluehole themselves. That would explain how cobbled together and janky the game feels while simultaneously performing so poorly.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the game improving meaningfully by the time it leaves Early Access.

I'll probably be uninstalling once I hit $30 worth of loot sold on the marketplace. I genuinely don't see the current dev really fixing any of the game's major issues by launch. Will eagerly await a AAA studio to take a whack at the BR genre.

Euphor!a

Banned
is there any chance they add a training mode of some kind? I seriously struggle to get a feel for this game after 20 hours

Also, should I switch to TPP? Its easier to learn? I avoid it because everyone criticizes the camping

There is a training mode, it's at the school.

Venfayth

So apparently Bluehole consists almost entirely of fresh college grads / amateur developers. Their only other games are those really cheap spammy mobile games and apparently a failed MMO.

A huge chunk of the game's assets are simply purchased from the Unreal store with minimal optimization from Bluehole themselves. That would explain how cobbled together and janky the game feels while simultaneously performing so poorly.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the game improving meaningfully by the time it leaves Early Access.

I'll probably be uninstalling once I hit $30 worth of loot sold on the marketplace. I genuinely don't see the current dev really fixing any of the game's major issues by launch. Will eagerly await a AAA studio to take a whack at the BR genre.

lol

Any time someone says they want a AAA studio to make a BR game I just assume they regurgitated that line from Dr. Disrespect - who, spoiler alert, worked on COD. It's such a weirdly specific thing that is really out of place to read on a forum like GAF.

Did you know Bluehole originally expected this game to sell 200-300k by the end of EA? It was a small project and the Unreal Store assets represent that. Do you want them to focus on replacing assets they purchased license to use or focus on the new map and improving the game? I'll eat crow if the new map uses Unreal store assets.

The game has already improved majorly with each patch. My only gripe patch-to-patch is this most recent patch containing forced PP. Other than that performance has steadily improved.

Any good Youtubers to watch?

would like to watch full games/clips, but dont want to listen to annoying screaming or lame commentary that sounds "random" as if they are trying to be as entertaining as possible.

Would prefer someone who maybe is using game Strats and communicating with teammates in game, or talks about the game without going overboard in trying to be funny or offensive

Erheller

would like to watch full games/clips, but dont want to listen to annoying screaming or lame commentary that sounds "random" as if they are trying to be as entertaining as possible.

Would prefer someone who maybe is using game Strats and communicating with teammates in game, or talks about the game without going overboard in trying to be funny or offensive

I like Beaglerush. I'm biased because I used to watch his XCOM Long War stuff, but he's pretty entertaining, is always respectful (one of his rando teammates used a slur, and he called that shit out), and goes through his thought process a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Beaglerush/videos

He also posts his vods on Twitch.

Edit: He's in OCE so I dunno if he plays FPP or not

lol

Any time someone says they want a AAA studio to make a BR game I just assume they regurgitated that line from Dr. Disrespect - who, spoiler alert, worked on COD. It's such a weirdly specific thing that is really out of place to read on a forum like GAF.

How exactly is it out of place? I've seen that sentiment echoed across multiple threads.

Why wouldn't I want a polished, competently-developed version of PUBG? The core gameplay is very fun.

And the only reason I know who Disrespect is is from the drama he caused after getting banned. I don't watch his stream and I didn't get the idea of wanting a AAA BR game from him.

Did you know Bluehole originally expected this game to sell 200-300k by the end of EA? It was a small project and the Unreal Store assets represent that. Do you want them to focus on replacing assets they purchased license to use or focus on the new map and improving the game? I'll eat crow if the new map uses Unreal store assets.

To be honest? I'd be 100% okay with them delaying the new map until they fix all the performance issues with the current map. And that involves optimizing their existing assets, if not replacing them.

It is NOT normal for a game that looks like PUBG to dip under 60 FPS on good rigs. At all.

Tokubetsu

https://www.twitch.tv/chocotaco/videos/all

great dude, great streamer if you're looking for commentary, good example:
https://clips.twitch.tv/NurturingPiliableTaroDatSheffy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsF7RukhzTI

Grassy

I watch TSM_Viss and Ibiza on Twitch. Both are ridiculously good and pretty chill players with very different strategies. They each usually win 5-10 chicken dinners every day. Viss mainly plays squad + solo games, and Ibiza plays duo + solo games.

I learnt a lot in my early PUBG days by watching Viss play, just things like seeing where he'd position himself and what he'd do in certain situations/circles, when he would or wouldn't engage with another player etc. definitely helped me get my first few chicken dinners.

Daffy Duck

How exactly is it out of place? I've seen that sentiment echoed across multiple threads.

Why wouldn't I want a polished, competently-developed version of PUBG? The core gameplay is very fun.

And the only reason I know who Disrespect is is from the drama he caused after getting banned. I don't watch his stream and I didn't get the idea of wanting a AAA BR game from him.

To be honest? I'd be 100% okay with them delaying the new map until they fix all the performance issues with the current map. And that involves optimizing their existing assets, if not replacing them.

It is NOT normal for a game that looks like PUBG to dip under 60 FPS on good rigs. At all.

A AAA developer wouldn’t be able to give you a polished BR experience.

It would be rammed with crap decisions and progression systems because they wouldn’t want you going off to play PUBG, they’d want you locked into their game and the carrot and stick progression system.

And that’s because the whole focus group shit and the perfect pasta sauce stuff Jim Sterling talks about

Got 6 squad wins within 6 hours. Best night I've ever had. 5 were nearly back to back FPP wins with good friends. The last one was a random TPP squad who did not say anything at all.

I also got a 15x scope in a fog game. Despite being completely useless in that scenario, it did provide some good laughs compared to the size of the Mini-14 I had.

Top Bottom