• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

TVexperto

lol

Any time someone says they want a AAA studio to make a BR game I just assume they regurgitated that line from Dr. Disrespect - who, spoiler alert, worked on COD. It's such a weirdly specific thing that is really out of place to read on a forum like GAF.

Did you know Bluehole originally expected this game to sell 200-300k by the end of EA? It was a small project and the Unreal Store assets represent that. Do you want them to focus on replacing assets they purchased license to use or focus on the new map and improving the game? I'll eat crow if the new map uses Unreal store assets.

The game has already improved majorly with each patch. My only gripe patch-to-patch is this most recent patch containing forced PP. Other than that performance has steadily improved.

They are still adding things that they bought off the store so it is to be expected they go the uncreative route and buy stuff from the marketplace for the new map as well which would be sad

JDB

Banned
Yeah, it's pretty clear this wasn't supposed to be some big project initially. The sizes of props in the environment are wildly inconsistent, LoD models (especially trees) don't match up at all and the modular system for they use for creating buildings also definitely has its limitations.
I think it'd be cool if they redid the current map with all custom-made stuff (or at least redo the stuff that doesn't fit), but I imagine that would take a lot of time.

JDB

Banned
U6KLST0.gif

I can't go back.

I can't go back.
A little bit cartoony on the colors there, but indeed a little reshade can go a long way. It comes down to preference, of course. But at the very least, I introduce SMAA and a little sharpening with ReShade because the in-game AA is a little too blurry for my tastes. And even with the in-game AA on, I can still look at edges go from jaggy to smooth by turning ReShade off and on.

JDB

Banned
That's the sunset variant so it looks a bit more vibrant than normal, but it's mostly hard to go back to the blurriness of the default look.

The gamescom crates seem to have trouble staying at $5 or higher. Maybe that's the ceiling. Still hanging on to see what happens when the quantity gets real low. Worse case scenario I lose out on $15 or so. Worth the risk to me.

The current map is fine. Great, even.

Focus on the new ones.

I have a few issues with the current map that have me dreading some inevitable outcomes. First of all, the current map suffers from having the final circle featuring nothing but open field. It's way better when you get a zone with some cover, but that's honestly rare for me.

Crossing the bridges to\from the military base island is also a nightmare as the bridges are just too easy to camp. Especially in squads. Driving across is just suicide. But finding a boat can be a real chore. Don't get me started on swimming. I'd rather just exit to lobby than swim in this game.

Other than that, it's a great map with a good deal of variety. At least until the inevitable end-game in a field.

Venfayth

They are still adding things that they bought off the store so it is to be expected they go the uncreative route and buy stuff from the marketplace for the new map as well which would be sad

They're not adding "new" things. They copy pasted prefabs into an empty part of the map. I agree it was done with little effort, given how there are clearly some clipping issues, but if they're going to start adding brand new assets to the old map they probably should redo the whole thing.

Yeah, it's pretty clear this wasn't supposed to be some big project initially. The sizes of props in the environment are wildly inconsistent, LoD models (especially trees) don't match up at all and the modular system for they use for creating buildings also definitely has its limitations.
I think it'd be cool if they redid the current map with all custom-made stuff (or at least redo the stuff that doesn't fit), but I imagine that would take a lot of time.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I expect the new map to be high quality given their success, and like I said, if it's not then I will eat crow.

Are you using smokes? They can be really handy in those situations.

Seriously, I hope they add two new slots for grenades so you can equip a frag, a smoke and a flash at the same time, very much like CSGO. It will only encourage players to be more strategic -- there's no point in being limited to one slot and having to carry around your smokes and flashes when 99% of all players think "I will probably never use this flash/smoke so I better pick up these extra meds instead".

Having said that, I wouldn't mind more cover in general as long as the whole map isn't an urban city, or covered with a million misplaced trees/rocks. I like what Erangel offers at the moment, but I'm definitely looking forward to see what other maps can offer in terms of variety.

I love crossing bridges since I'm always craving for that high octane action. :p

But yeah, there's room for improvement for sure. I would like to see better cover in general (cars aren't that great), and maybe lower the side railings to make it easier to bail out. Maybe the bridge could be split in two lanes (or two bridges), or maybe they could add an extra, smaller bridge (not for vehicles) somewhere.

Maybe you don't want the bridge to have any cover at all but that would remove a fundamental part of the map, I think. It's also difficult to prevent because people can still hide/camp on the other side of the bridge.

Wait what?
You can select multiple grenades. You just need to hit the button multiple times to "toggle" through them, and switching to another weapon and back will land you on your most recent grenade.

Are you using smokes? They can be really handy in those situations.

The last time it was down to me and another guy and I used a smoke, I could still see his outline clearly through it and he could see me (or so I assume since he headshot me with an M24).

Blizzard

Banned
U6KLST0.gif

I can't go back.
When I see screenshots like this or the indoor fog screenshot someone posted earlier where everything was super bright and clear, I begin to understand how people spot me so easily even in fog. I wish there was a way to prevent people from doing that but I understand the monitor argument. :(

Venfayth

Vehicles that are close to the ground (buggie or uaz/dacia with wheels shot out) are godsends in wide open ending zones. It's how TSM won one of the Duo matches in Cologne.

Get one inside the zone and prone behind it, back up if it gets shot, and let people kill each other in the open until you are one of the last people alive.

Oh yeah, you're right. Was this implemented recently?

It's only a half step though. I want to see more (preferably three) slots for grenades, so they're even easier to access and takes up less space in your inventory. As it is now it just clutters your inventory and you need to have a bind for the grenade you want to use.

Maybe not a huge deal, but I think it would be enough to incentivize players to use them more. I barely see anyone using any nades at all outside of frag grenades.

Yeah, they're going for a more realistic approach I guess, but I think they're solid enough to be helpful in these situations.

It can also be used to fake your position or reveal other people's position. It's great. I love it.

I think the settings actually has binds for using the specific grenades tho :x
Take a look through control settings! They've added some good stuff in there!

I just had the second occurrence of a door not making any noise when opened, leading to a guy running into my (closed) house while I was in the middle of healing and shooting me.

Par Score

When I see screenshots like this or the indoor fog screenshot someone posted earlier where everything was super bright and clear, I begin to understand how people spot me so easily even in fog. I wish there was a way to prevent people from doing that but I understand the monitor argument. :(

Yeah, now I know people are doing this with external tools, I wish there was a way to ban them.

Model hacks used to be ban-able in CS 1.6, and this doesn't seem much different in effect, even if it's probably a lot harder to detect.

Yeah, now I know people are doing this with external tools, I wish there was a way to ban them.

Model hacks used to be ban-able in CS 1.6, and this doesn't seem much different in effect, even if it's probably a lot harder to detect.

Battleye can detect Reshade, PU and Bluehole have explicitly allowed people to use it.

Swapped my PSU, put in the RMA'd 1080, boy oh boy its good to be back.

Boy oh boy am I still terrible at this game, though now I've got a few friends to play with most nights, which is an absolute blast regardless of our ranking

Blizzard

Banned
Battleye can detect Reshade, PU and Bluehole have explicitly allowed people to use it.
I seem to recall the argument for allowing it that if they banned it, people would just find another way to do it, and thus they're forced to allow it, but I could be totally mistaken.

I seem to recall the argument for allowing it that if they banned it, people would just find another way to do it, and thus they're forced to allow it, but I could be totally mistaken.

I mean there ARE other ways to get similar effects. One streamer I follow is constantly asked about his Reshade settings, only to have to keep explaining it's just his monitor settings/OBS doing the same thing to boost the saturation.

Yeah, I checked but they're all unbound for me. And I'm not sure what a good keybind is, as all the good ones are already in use!

What I've done, since I use an Ergodox and have easy access to PgUp/PgDn for zeroing sights, is I've bound my mouse to handle all my weapon selections -- I've got scroll up for Weapon 1, Scroll down for 2, middle click for pistol, and then the left scroll to cycle my grenades. I'm not good enough yet to be bothered by pre-selecting my grenades so it's worked out well for me so far!

What I may do, is since I wouldn't need a dedicated grenade button with this setup, is I may have the tilts of the scroll wheel be two of the grenade types, and then G for the third.

Shit totally forgot about molotovs. Agh!

Side note, is a Vega still a bad idea for this game? I'm on a 390 and would like to AT LEAST get a solid 30fps, not sure if it's more important to upgrade my 2500 i5 (non K) to a Ryzen, or to upgrade my 390...

Venfayth

I need to bind leaning to my mouse.

Right now I have two triggers on my mouse that you can push up or down and I have them bound to increase or decrease the volume of PUBG and Discord so that I can easily hush either the game or my idiot friends if they're being too loud and I need to hear the other.

I also have change firing mode bound to my mouse, been thinking about binding equip/unequip weapon to it as well.

jdmonmou

Right now I have two triggers on my mouse that you can push up or down and I have them bound to increase or decrease the volume of PUBG and Discord so that I can easily hush either the game or my idiot friends if they're being too loud and I need to hear the other.

I also have change firing mode bound to my mouse, been thinking about binding equip/unequip weapon to it as well.
I binded leaning to the side buttons on my mouse as well. I set the thumb buttons to ALT (free look) and F (interact) by default and when I press RMB the bindings change to Q and E. Also, if you’re using a keyboard reversing Q and E helps since it makes it easier to strafe in and out of cover. Even with these changes I still suck at shooting from cover :p. Something I definitely need to practice.

Nabs

Binding stuff to your mouse can come in handy. I have Map/Inventory/Firing Mode/Grenades/Zeroing set to mouse buttons.

Well, that's a shame.

But then I don't play on PC for a level playing field. If it's allowed, it's allowed.

If you wanna play only for visibility, you can have a major advantage by tweaking brightness/contrast and putting everything on very low except some options. If we were to give everyone the same visibility, we should lock graphical options and give the same monitor to everybody. So i think it's really the best call to let ReShade allowed, especially when 99 % of people just use it because it look way better than the OG.

I remember when i played my first CS lan tournament, i was surprised that everybody was playing a game that look so different from mine.

Of course, most of people don't do that and play mostly for the comfort/look of it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That's actually really good to hear. I was worried the blue hole complaints towards epic would hurt them getting these enhancements. Very excited

Luckily Epic are professionals and not whining little snifflers. It was always obvious Epic would have a better handle on their own engine and Bluehole would benefit from it.

Blizzard

Banned
Have they talked about fixing the thing where the game always defaults to Asia?
Not as far as I know, or very little. They did a patch release already with no fix, and I think someone said they said it was engine-related, but with the majority of their playerbase in China I'm guessing it's not a priority. I really don't understand how they could just not know HOW to fix it.

jeffc919

Solo win #25 was probably my least likely of all. Diverted from my original landing zone to get a car and as I'm running for it another guy is driving at me to run me over. I get within a few feet of the car and get hit, taking about 75% damage. I didn't even know that could happen. In nearly 1000 games any time someone hit me I was insta-dead. Later the end game is on the far north beach and I did my best Navy SEAL act of swimming around on the shore and killing enemies on the beach. Got into the final 2 and couldn't see exactly where the other guy was. He headshot me with a Kar but my level 3 helmet saved me with a thread of health left and then I landed several shots with my Mini 14 to take him out.

Solo win #25 was probably my least likely of all. Diverted from my original landing zone to get a car and as I'm running for it another guy is driving at me to run me over. I get within a few feet of the car and get hit, taking about 75% damage. I didn't even know that could happen. In nearly 1000 games any time someone hit me I was insta-dead. Later the end game is on the far north beach and I did my best Navy SEAL act of swimming around on the shore and killing enemies on the beach. Got into the final 2 and couldn't see exactly where the other guy was. He headshot me with a Kar but my level 3 helmet saved me with a thread of health left and then I landed several shots with my Mini 14 to take him out.

In the last 2 days I've seen 2 people survive being hit by a car. I haven't played very much yet so I just thought that was normal.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I survived a car last night but was crawling afterwards.

Top Bottom