• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

I feel like there are a handful of times when a Kar98 straight in front of you and straight behind you will sound identical, and the bullethole will appear on the tree even if it hits the opposite side. I've been killed by that a surprising amount of times. It wasn't multiple snipers, the information about where I was being shot from was completely obfuscated

The only non-bug bullethole explanation I can think of is if the bullet is hitting the very edge of the tree, and because a tree trunk is roughly cylindrical, the decal is just wrapping around the model and my brain just immediately interprets the round hole as being in a direct line to the barrel of the gun and thus they have to be behind or to the side of me.

Man, Im just giving up on PC. Just feels like Im outclassed and I swear sometimes I get the drop on a dude and they just cream me.

Feel like Id enjoy this more on console as far as winning gunfights go.

Gonna keep at it, but with BR games not having any skill matchmaking, I just feel like Im going up against people with hundreds of hours of experience and getting put down.

JDB

Banned
Man, Im just giving up on PC. Just feels like Im outclassed and I swear sometimes I get the drop on a dude and they just cream me.

Gonna keep at it, but with BR games not having any skill matchmaking, I just feel like Im going up against people with hundreds of hours of experience and getting put down.
PUBG has skill matching.

Blizzard

Banned
Wait, then sell. People saying to open them are trolling since you are almost guaranteed to get an item worth a fraction of what the crate + key sells for right now.

What if you're bad on console too though

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Still no chicken dinner, but I made it to 5 today. Nabbed the Mini 14 for the first time. Very, very useful. Might have stood a better chance if my idiot brain didn't misread the map. Thought I had to give up my high ground to move into the circle, but got it backwards; the low ground had to move into me. Oh well. Next time maybe.

First time playing in a squad in ~2 weeks, we landed at the military base with 3 other squads. Somehow we manage to all escape alive and wipe out the other squads. I got a few kills with only a pistol tho, forgot about the rush in pubg!

What if you're bad on console too though

Lol, I will cry, but Im sure PC players are just too skilled for me.

PUBG has skill matching.

Damn, really? That's impressive, figured 100 players was too much to reasonably matchmake with. Guess I just suck.

But I will persist. Two questions:

1) Is it good not to engage enemies with high armour? I feel like some of my inconsistencies are coming from not paying attention to armour

2) How should I be leading my bullets? Like, if they are a few meters ahead, do I need to?

GodofWine

I feel like there are a handful of times when a Kar98 straight in front of you and straight behind you will sound identical, and the bullethole will appear on the tree even if it hits the opposite side. I've been killed by that a surprising amount of times. It wasn't multiple snipers, the information about where I was being shot from was completely obfuscated

The only non-bug bullethole explanation I can think of is if the bullet is hitting the very edge of the tree, and because a tree trunk is roughly cylindrical, the decal is just wrapping around the model and my brain just immediately interprets the round hole as being in a direct line to the barrel of the gun and thus they have to be behind or to the side of me.

Anyone wit 2 channel audio can not tell if a shot is in front or in back of them. Surround sound is a huge advantage. I really do think the game would be better with a visual sound and damage direction indicator. They force shadows and and foliage settings for parity but audio is just as big of an advantage.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'll also add that despite shotguns having a mixed rep, my personal experience with them (though limited) has been very positive. Always contextual, namely indoors, but the damage output has been very rewarding. Most guys drop in one or two blasts, and a pump action has been a perfect companion for close range ambushes.

1) Is it good not to engage enemies with high armour? I feel like some of my inconsistencies are coming from not paying attention to armour

2) How should I be leading my bullets? Like, if they are a few meters ahead, do I need to?

1) If you know or feel like you have a leg up on them, definitely engage. If you're feeling hesitant, it's probably best just to wait it out if you can. Or if you have a decent aim, go for the legs.

2) If they're running and they're only a few meters ahead, you may only need to lead just a little bit. It's a bit more tricky when they're far, but just keep shooting and pay attention to the bullet tracers so you can adjust.

joecanada

Is it the servers or are controller options totally messed up right now? It was saying press x to interact but it was y , I couldn't crouch , open map , nothing.

I'll also add that despite shotguns having a mixed rep, my personal experience with them (though limited) has been very positive. Always contextual, namely indoors, but the damage output has been very rewarding. Most guys drop in one or two blasts, and a pump action has been a perfect companion for close range ambushes.

The S686 (double barrel) is extremely powerful in close range. I've had games where I've taken it to the top 10 and still got kills with it (best in urban areas). Will still 2-tap someone with a level 3 vest and helmet.

Blizzard

Banned
Why the hell does this game keep putting me solo is duos matches.
I don't know. When I'm not getting Chinese teammates, I've gotten solo in duo matches on the NA server for like 4-5 games in a row. Even if there are 99 on the server, I'm the one person who doesn't get assigned a teammate.

Erheller

Lol, I will cry, but Im sure PC players are just too skilled for me.

Damn, really? That's impressive, figured 100 players was too much to reasonably matchmake with. Guess I just suck.

With rifles and snipers: Decent rule of thumb is one body length (like, shoulder to shoulder) per 100 meters if they're running perpendicular to you. Double for SMG's, triple for the VSS.

Magwik

Banned
Huh apparently Windows 10 Game DVR turned itself back on after a Windows update. I'll never understand why it tanks only PUBG performance.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm assuming my aim is just garbage, though I don't know how to improve that either (if I drop cold I typically don't see anyone for 25 minutes, if I drop hot I died 2/3 games without being able to pick up a weapon), but I had a game tonight that was extremely bizarre.

In fog, I saw the same person driving a buggy 4+ different times. Each time I shot at them. With a suppressed UMP9, crouching 20 feet or so away as they drove by me at slow speed, I would empty the clip into them and/or the car. There never seemed to be any effect, and their head didn't even turn so I assume they weren't trying to look at me. They also didn't swerve like they were trying to avoid bullets. It was super weird, and I'd think if they were lagging hit detection would still be client side.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Huh apparently Windows 10 Game DVR turned itself back on after a Windows update

That is standard procedure. Microsoft thinks you turned it off by accident, because it's so awesome ( ͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Finally got that illusive DUO win at the weekend. Also won two Squad games in a row with all teammates alive at the end :)

Is it me or is there now pretty heavy matchmaking in play now? I find it so much easier to play with people who haven't played much before.

Still haven't had a fog game yet.

Dimentios

Gamescom Crates have reached a all-time high. Demand is higher than Supply.
Good times. I have 11 crates to sell. Can we reach 5 dollar?

vocab

up against people with hundreds of hours of experience and getting put down.

Between the damage glitch, unsmooth strafing and dodgy hit reg, a lot of those situations have nothing to do with getting outclassed. I will say getting used to the way guns feel and getting used to the breath mechanic is the hardest part. Since you can't realistically practice with them, you kinda have to learn what works for you.

Gamescom crates at $4.14. Niiiiice. Looks like they'll definitely go over $5.

GNUCuPZ.png

It's shooting up as the supply dwindles.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Any tips for FPP? I do so much better in TPP than FPP...

Better by what criteria?

Two important things in FPP are keeping your head on a swivel and playing aggressively when the situation calls for it.

You land a solid shot, 9 times out of 10 the guy is going to seek hard cover and then start healing. You should use this opportunity to either push and kill him before the heal finishes or use the opportunity to flank his position. You want to end the fight quickly so you can loot and scoot, using up as little ammo, armor, and meds as possible and clearing the area before the vultures that heard the shots arrive.

I mean, you want your head on a swivel in TPP too but you can't push positions and flank without them watching you the entire way, rendering movement counterproductive in many cases.

Another thing I'd recommend, particularly in solos is do not shoot at somebody unless you're sure you can put them down before they reach cover and/or return fire and kill you. Shoot when you have the upper hand or maneuver to avoid the conflict or to gain that upper hand. In TPP this isn't as important because people who get pinned stay pinned.

Grenades are a lot better in first person too because they can't sit behind cover and watch you step out to prime/throw the grenade. Cook it properly, they won't know it is coming much less have time to avoid it. Just like the first scenario, hit him hard, he ducks behind hard cover to heal, toss a grenade on him.

Blam

I don't understand why they don't have a FPS indicator when you're about to shoot a wall, and not a target. Since I've done this multiple times now. Where it shows me being able to shoot, and I do and I hit the fucking window right infront of me.

I do hope they do a damage balance pass before release because it feels way too spongy combined with bad hit detection at times.

Even when someone has no vest on, taking 5-6 hits to a chest and then dying just isn't right.

I'd much prefer it to be like ArmA 3 personally.

Also if they introduce a more complex stamina system then taking hits to a vest should have a significant impact on stamina for running away, holding breath, etc.

JDB

Banned
I don't understand why they don't have a FPS indicator when you're about to shoot a wall, and not a target. Since I've done this multiple times now. Where it shows me being able to shoot, and I do and I hit the fucking window right infront of me.
They actually do in third person. Don't think it works very well though.

Venfayth

I do hope they do a damage balance pass before release because it feels way too spongy combined with bad hit detection at times.

Even when someone has no vest on, taking 5-6 hits to a chest and then dying just isn't right.

I'd much prefer it to be like ArmA 3 personally.

Also if they introduce a more complex stamina system then taking hits to a vest should have a significant impact on stamina for running away, holding breath, etc.

Considering how the blue circle works I am very fine with infinite running.

Also if you hit someone in the chest with anything stronger than a pistol two or three times and they haven't got a vest on, they're dead. If you're hitting limbs they could survive though.

Pandy

My current main bone of contention at the moment is with hit indication.

I can shoot at someone at range, get a blood splatter, then they get away. I get killed (later on, not immediately) only to see that I have no damage points, so the bullet(s) I thought had hit did nothing.

I guess it must be lag, but if we can't rely on blood then they'll have to change how hit indication works. I have absolutely no confidence in sniping at the moment because of it, except obviously for the occasions where I know it is working because I've been able to get a knock down or kill.

Erheller

My current main bone of contention at the moment is with hit indication.

I can shoot at someone at range, get a blood splatter, then they get away. I get killed (later on, not immediately) only to see that I have no damage points, so the bullet(s) I thought had hit did nothing.

I guess it must be lag, but if we can't rely on blood then they'll have to change how hit indication works. I have absolutely no confidence in sniping at the moment because of it, except obviously for the occasions where I know it is working because I've been able to get a knock down or kill.

Yeah, they need to make blood splatters server-side. It's immediately obvious when you get the rendering glitch and you shoot at people you aren't supposed to shoot and you see blood splatters, but you aren't actually hitting them.

CSGO used to have the same thing, where you'd see "ketchup packets" when shooting people, and eventually they changed blood from client-side to server-side.

Blam

They actually do in third person. Don't think it works very well though.

Yeah the third person one would be great in FPS, but it seriously doesn't tell you at all that you can't hit something when it clearly looks like you can. H1Z1 actually does a FPS one i'm pretty sure.

creatchee

Wow, the number available has dropped massively!

The rare items from the crate have also been jumping up or at least steadily climbing. Both my white and black skirts have gone up by fifty bucks in the past week, and even my camo hotpants are on the way back up after hitting an all-time high around Gamescom and then plummeting.

Daffy Duck

The rare items from the crate have also been jumping up or at least steadily climbing. Both my white and black skirts have gone up by fifty bucks in the past week, and even my camo hotpants are on the way back up after hitting an all-time high around Gamescom and then plummeting.

And yet my black slacks sit at 7p lol

After release of if the full game, so not any time soon.

Oh? Is the release scheduled? Don’t understand the way EA works

Is there a significant difference once “released”?

And whats the endgoal?

A single player planned? Just polishing the game? Dedicated map support moving forward? New modes?

PC games have a crazy life cycle so Im guessing the slow progress is just how this game will be. But to think 10 yrs from now this will still be played is insane.

I stealthed my way to the last 10, and then someone dropped me with a single rifle shot to the head when I tried to sprint 20 feet to cross a road. Some of these people have incredible aim.

Top Bottom