• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Lady Gaia

Currently downloading a 3.3GB patch for The Witness, I guess this is the Pro patch (with native 4K mode)?

Sounds right. I know the patch was submitted this past weekend and started the certification process on Monday. Glad to hear it sailed through and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action! I'm glad I checked the pre-patch state again last night as a reminder.

Lady Gaia

the only other way I think they can arrive at 4K is that is has 4 times as many pixels as 1080p.

I'm sure that's exactly the right reason. It actually gives an accurate impression because most people don't intuitively understand the ratio of linear pixel density to pixel size.

I'm surprised we don't yet rate screens in megapixels and square inches. Diagonal measurements confuse people for very similar reasons. 65" doesn't sound ~40% larger than 55" but that's the actual relative size by area.

I'm sure that's exactly the right reason. It actually gives an accurate impression because most people don't intuitively understand the ratio of linear pixel density to pixel size.

I'm surprised we don't yet rate screens in megapixels and square inches. Diagonal measurements confuse people for very similar reasons. 65" doesn't sound ~40% larger than 55" but that's the actual relative size by area.

We don't use megapixel because how would you brag about your TV having 8Megapixels when smartphone camera has 12 or more ? ;)

Square inches probably sound intimidating to most people and bring dreadful memories of math lessons ;)

Dominator

Just plugged it in, don't have anything installed yet. Go to download my saves from the cloud and I need to have the games installed that I want to download the saves for. You gotta be shitting me...

Quick question: If I'm logged into my own account and playing a game or accessing DLC of my brother's account on my PS4 (my PS4 is set as my brother's primary PS4), can he at the same time, when logged into his own account on his PS4, also access and play his DLC and PSN games?

Meaning us two playing the downloadable stuff from his account at the same time.

Quick question: If I'm logged into my own account and playing a game or accessing DLC of my brother's account on my PS4 (my PS4 is set as my brother's primary PS4), can he at the same time, when logged into his own account on his PS4, also access and play his DLC and PSN games?

Meaning us two playing the downloadable stuff from his account at the same time.

Yup! If I read that right!

Gazkapop

Just picked my pro up.

Took embarrassingly long to dawn on me that I won't be able to do the data transfer from my OG PS4 because I replaced it with a 2Tb hard drive.

Ala Alba

I replaced my old beeping PS4 with a Pro today. I have backed up all my save games, thought I was set.

Then I went to transfer all my saves over to my new system, and ran into a problem.

You can only transfer saves(either from the cloud or a USB) if the game it is for is installed.

Of course, if you can't download the game anymore (hello, FFXV Platinum demo!), you're outta luck. :(

Edit: Or can I? Hmm, there seems to be no indication if something is in a queue to download or not.

My Nioh alpha demo is downloading...

Greenlock

Neo Member
Some questions for the tech folk. My receiver supports 4K passthrough, but sadly not HDR passthrough. My TV however supports HDR. Is my only option to go PS4 Pro straight to TV with HDMI and then use an optical lead for audio?

You could try an HDMI-splitter to not lose out on hdmi to the reciever perhaps. Other than that optical is the way.

MistBreeze

I received my PS4 pro today . Restored my backup, started BF 1 multyplayer,

And wow instantly felt the smoother gameplay and better graphics. It is just so clean in my 1080p tv

Now rise of the tomb raider is downloading,
Im realy excited to try it tomorrow.

GOOCHY

The PS4 Pro playing Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted 4 on my LG B6 OLED is, to put it bluntly, outrageous. What an upgrade.

Grabbing a Pro this Suj so I need some help guys.

What is the best Black Friday deal for a 4K HDR TV for a PS4 Pro?

Trying to help my dad out since he wants to buy one and he said I can use it when we get it (as long as he gets to play it lol).

Price range is under $650 ish and he wants a 55"+. Neither of us have any idea what TVs are considered best for gaming. We know what are good TVs for movies and TV but we don't have a clue for gaming. Plus I saw issues with certain TVs not working right with the Pro.

We were looking at the 55" Samsung one at BJs for $600 or the combo of the Sony 55" + a Pro for $1000 (I would chip in $400 for the PS4.

Trying to help my dad out since he wants to buy one and he said I can use it when we get it (as long as he gets to play it lol).

Price range is under $650 ish and he wants a 55"+. Neither of us have any idea what TVs are considered best for gaming. We know what are good TVs for movies and TV but we don't have a clue for gaming. Plus I saw issues with certain TVs not working right with the Pro.

We were looking at the 55" Samsung one at BJs for $600 or the combo of the Sony 55" + a Pro for $1000 (I would chip in $400 for the PS4.

Which model is the Samsung at BJ's? They've got some great input lag in HDR mode compared to the competition and, if I remember correctly, the Sony that's bundled has some significant lag in HDR games.

Audioboxer

You could try an HDMI-splitter to not lose out on hdmi to the reciever perhaps. Other than that optical is the way.

A splitter won't work. You need a switch.

How would that work? HDMI cable from PS4 Pro to switch, 2 outputs from switch, 1 to TV and 1 to the receiver? Even if that can be done I'm assuming it needs to be a 4K/HDR supporting switch? I'll do some research but I can't see it being cheap. I do have an optical cable lying around somewhere so as things stand going optical won't cost me anything extra.

Just plugged it in, don't have anything installed yet. Go to download my saves from the cloud and I need to have the games installed that I want to download the saves for. You gotta be shitting me...

Legit question: What good would your saves do if you don't have the game installed? Why do you want them first?

Not saying that Sony shouldn't offer the capability but I'm wondering why this is a problem.

For HDR gaming you want at least

Sony X800D (not sure if 55" is sold in America)
Samsung KS series
Panasonic DX750

Those are cheapest ones that I know which will support wide gamut (10 bit color), HDR of 400+ nits and still have solid input lag

It probably will be impossible with 650$ budget unless you compromise on size or increase it a bit

For HDR gaming you want at least

Sony X800D (not sure if 55" is sold in America)
Samsung KS series
Panasonic DX750

Those are cheapest ones that I know which will support wide gamut (10 bit color), HDR of 400+ nits and still have solid input lag

It probably will be impossible with 650$ budget unless you compromise on size or increase it a bit
How much more would it cost to get the "proper" one then?

And is the input lag really that noticeable?

Dominator

Legit question: What good would your saves do if you don't have the game installed? Why do you want them first?

Not saying that Sony shouldn't offer the capability but I'm wondering why this is a problem.
Because I'd prefer to just download them all so I have them on the system. I'm all digital, its gonna take me days to download all my games, and even then, I won't be able to install all of them and have them on the hard drive at once because its well over 1TB.

farisr

wait, that's weird. I could've sworn I've downloaded my sfv save and definitely haven't installed the game on the pro yet. I'll check later tonight to confirm.

Because I'd prefer to just download them all so I have them on the system. I'm all digital, its gonna take me days to download all my games, and even then, I won't be able to install all of them and have them on the hard drive at once because its well over 1TB.

Then why would you want to waste space on save games for games you haven't installed?

Will your PS4 not check for cloud saves whenever you decide to download and play a game.

Think it's automatic.

Big Chungus

Ok so I successfully transferred my content from my OG ps4 to my ps4 pro, whats next?

Do I have to deactive my OG ps4, it asked me if I wanted to make my ps4 pro my primary so not sure.

Also, do I have to do anything on my OG ps4 before I sell it?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
all the marketing hype around 4K. LOL
I mean, going by the logic they use with the naming convention of 4K, wouldn't we call 1920X1080p = 2K?

we use the vertical lines number with 1080 and 1440, but, with 4K they decide to use the horizontal number (3840). Seems like a marketing exaggeration, anyone else think so?

EDIT:the only other way I think they can arrive at 4K is that is has 4 times as many pixels as 1080p.

uh 1080p (roughly) is known as 2k in the film industry. 2k was the resolution they were shooting at in 2002

and that's where the 4k got it's name from too.

It's kinda just TVs now switching to go by the camera resolution, vs 2160p etc

jack....

Some questions for the tech folk. My receiver supports 4K passthrough, but sadly not HDR passthrough. My TV however supports HDR. Is my only option to go PS4 Pro straight to TV with HDMI and then use an optical lead for audio?

If your TV supports HDMI Audio Return Channel that would probably be preferable to optical.

You go directly to your TV from your PS4 and then one of your TV's other HDMI ports acts as an audio out.

Cool, just making sure something wasn't wrong with mines. I won't start it up until another week and a half. Ordering a 1tb ssd on BF and will wait to install it prior to trying it. Till then the good ol ps4 will suffice.

How are people able to handle this? Meanwhile I'm mad when I don't receive games or consoles a day early, haha.

leng jai

is there a trick to getting Remote Play to work with the Vita? Works fine on my OG PS4 but on the Pro it just sits there searching forever until it eventually times out.

Stillmatic

is there a trick to getting Remote Play to work with the Vita? Works fine on my OG PS4 but on the Pro it just sits there searching forever until it eventually times out.
Pretty sure the account you're trying to remote play with has to be set as primary on the console. So if it's working with the OG, then that has it set as primary and not the Pro.

leehom

Is the PS4 and PS4P firmware the same? I can't find a firmware specific for PS4P on google or playstations website.

4.06 correct?

Mesharey

I can't upload 4K screenshots. :/

It's 4K when I check the its details, but when I upload it on twitter on send it by PSN msg it becomes 1080P, any idea what's going on?

Shin-Ra

I can't upload 4K screenshots. :/

It's 4K when I check the its details, but when I upload it on twitter on send it by PSN msg it becomes 1080P, any idea what's going on?
Twitter don't like storing very high res images so they automatically reformat them.

baconcow

The Witness Pro patch seems great. 1080p w/ 4AA has much less aliasing. The clarity is greatly increased, going from 900p to 1080p, There is minor shimmering around the shorelines, a few far away buildings, and a few other objects with large contrast differences. Feels very smooth, too. There were two obvious locations, with slowdown (and tearing); both of these appear to have been fixed up. These two areas plagued me on PC, also, and would only go away with SLI, which was not properly supported. So far, great job by Thekla (never knew their company's name).

ZOONAMI

I just picked up a pro, and the light bar on the front of the system looks like shit.

Is this the norm? Like the lighting is all uneven and doesn't go all the way to the U.S. ports cleanly like it's supposed to (or should).

Top Bottom