• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

black070

Dishonored 2's Pro support is a total joke. Easily the worst example of it by a wide margin. One of the downsides of individual developer support, some are going to blow it big time.

I thought it looked stunning on my 4K display, and ran super smooth running on the Pro. I mean, it's all anecdotal here, so it would be interesting to find out what exactly was enhanced, but it hit the two big points for me so I can't say I'm not satisfied.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Skyrim, on the other hand, looks noticeably better on my 1080p TV with the Pro. I'd think it would look crazy in 4K, I mean the game is almost 7 years old, how much clearer do we really want to make the visuals? :p

kaitain19

I need everyone's opinions here: I don't have a PS4 and I've been thinking about getting the Pro. However, I don't have a 4K HDR TV so I don't know if it'll even be worth it. Not to mention the PS4 Pro itself will only be released in my country sometimes at the end of the year, if not outright next year. Also, the game store I frequently goes to is holding a deal for PS4 Slim with an extra controller.

What should I do now?

black070

I need everyone's opinions here: I don't have a PS4 and I've been thinking about getting the Pro. However, I don't have a 4K HDR TV so I don't know if it'll even be worth it. Not to mention the PS4 Pro itself will only be released in my country sometimes at the end of the year, if not outright next year. Also, the game store I frequently goes to is holding a deal for PS4 Slim with an extra controller.

What should I do now?

If you're in the market for a PS4, go for the Pro - it's honestly as simple as that :)

Cyborg

What should I do now?

If you're in the market for a PS4, go for the Pro - it's honestly as simple as that :)

I agree. All games run and look better on the PRO, no need to buy a original PS4.

ufo8mycat

What should I do now?

Depends if you can afford the Pro or not. If so, Definitely get the Pro. The downsampling to 1080p alone is worth it. Games will look incredibly clean, sharp and detailed. Games like Watch Dogs 2 will now look incredibly clean, crisp compared to the OG PS4 version and all those jaggies are gone.

Also having options such as High Detailed or High Performance mode for future games is a nice plus.

Definitely worth it

ufo8mycat

Some run worse.
IMO this has been blown out and exaggerated.

Been playing games like Watch Dogs 2 on Pro and it runs absolutely fine. Skyrim, Dishonoured 2, TLOU, UC4
The only real issue is the first level in Deus Ex, but that's a dev problem, not hardware.

Piichan

Banned

What should I do now?

If you are planning on getting PSVR too at some point, Pro is the way to go. VR games in general look much sharper on Pro.

Lunafreya

I really hope Square Enix patches World of Final Fantasy soon.. It makes me sad that I can't enjoy it as much as I did on my original PS4 due to the Pro graphical bug affecting it.

Going through Ratchet & Clank again on Pro has been a blast and I still haven't touched my copy of The Last of Us remastered on it.

leng jai

Infinite Warfare is probably the most impressive game for me. It's surreal playing a game on console with that fidelity and IQ at 60fps.

Flunkie

Banned
So I backed up to external and transferred over to the 2TB I had in my regular PS4. Everything, especially menus even when not even in a game, lags just as bad as the regular PS4. I thought the Pro would fix this for sure. Could it just be the hard drive? Or is it likely something with the build of my image being wonky from my original PS4? I've rebuilt database and it doesn't work at all.

anyone?

Mrbob

Hard to say because i don't think many others have that problem. I'm thinking something went bad because I'm having no issues in the front end, but I don't have much installed.

King_Moc

Banned
Infinite Warfare is probably the most impressive game for me. It's surreal playing a game on console with that fidelity and IQ at 60fps.

Yeah, it's crazy what that game is doing on a console. It was the first game I tried and I couldn't believe it when I started playing.

graybot

Played through the campaign in 3 sittings

It looked terrific

Really a decent game too. One of the lowest scored COD's and probably the best campaign for years

King_Moc

Banned
That's 60fps for you!

Well, it was more the fact that I couldn't imagine it looking much better on my PC. The only issue graphically is the weird artifacts that appears in the hangar. Looks like it's switching resolutions repeatedly or something.

Jacob4815

I would say the downsampling alone, is enough to get a PS4 Pro. Holy crap at the IQ!

Played Watch Dogs 2 on OG PS4 - tons of jaggies, shimmering
Played it when I got the Pro - all the jaggies GONE. The game now looks so incredibly crisp, sharp, more detailed textures also. Like the IQ is near flawless. It's like looking at one of those bullshot screenshots.

I was kind of skeptic t how much downsampling can improve the look of a game, as I've never seen it before, but holy crap!

I agree, 1080p supersampling is God on earth for the lovers of IQ. I love my PRO.

leng jai

Well, it was more the fact that I couldn't imagine it looking much better on my PC. The only issue graphically is the weird artifacts that appears in the hangar. Looks like it's switching resolutions repeatedly or something.

The shadows looks pretty bad at times, not sure if the PC has higher end options for that though.

kriskrosbbk

So I'm trading in my standard PS4 tomorrow but I had a question.

I Initialized my PS4 (Picked the Full option and not Quick), do I need to do anything else? Wanted to make sure it wouldn't have any data on it or remember my passwords ect.

Did you deactivate your PS4 OG?

DieH@rd

Banned
I just got mine! Console is very solid. :D

PT has successfully survived the backup&restore process! I backed only 12 gigs on my USB stick [saves, some saved multimedia and PT].

I'm off to work soon, so in-depth testing must wait for tomorrow.

Right, doing the transfer and it asks me to hold the old ps4s power button for 1 second to start it but that's just turning my old system off

Edit: fixed

i forgot to transfer PT over to my Pro, lol. oh well, it's still on the original PS4.

I'm not interested in VR games at all. Is PS4 Pro still the better choice for me?

i'd say it's worth it over a regular ps4 even if you don't have a 4k tv. recently released and future games usually downsample the image for 1080p tvs so it looks really clean.

Has anyone played Fallout 4 on the Pro?

I remember Digital Foundry analyzed the game dropping in the teens. In my 3 hours with the game for the very first time last night, I didn't come across any slowdowns.

Has the performance been patch on the OG model or does it have something to do with the Pro?

zoukka

I'm not interested in VR games at all. Is PS4 Pro still the better choice for me?

Again, is money an issue? If you get a Slim from some kind of holiday offer you can most likely sell it away at minimal loss in the coming years if you feel like the bump in IQ on the Pro is worth the upgrade.

There's plenty of threads around here with screenshots of how the Pro improves the IQ of some games, go look at them on your TV and judge it yourself if the improvement is significant and worth the premium price.

Has anyone played Fallout 4 on the Pro?

I remember Digital Foundry analyzed the game dropping in the teens. In my 3 hours with the game for the very first time last night, I didn't come across any slowdowns.

Has the performance been patch on the OG model or does it have something to do with the Pro?

i thought Bethesda tweeted recently that the pro enhancements haven't been added yet?

kaitain19

Again, is money an issue? If you get a Slim from some kind of holiday offer you can most likely sell it away at minimal loss in the coming years if you feel like the bump in IQ on the Pro is worth the upgrade.

There's plenty of threads around here with screenshots of how the Pro improves the IQ of some games, go look at them on your TV and judge it yourself if the improvement is significant and worth the premium price.

Oh, right, forgot about that question. I definitely have the budget for PS4. Money's not much of an issue for me right now.

zoukka

Oh, right, forgot about that question. I definitely have the budget for PS4. Money's not much of an issue for me right now.

Then check out those comparisons. If the Pro shots look better to you, go for it. I know my Pro purchase was purely an impulse buy and the IQ bump isn't worth 230 euro difference I paid, but whatever I'm a geek and money isn't an issue.

i thought Bethesda tweeted recently that the pro enhancements haven't been added yet?

Yeah they have. That's what got me wondering because even up until the last F4 DF analysis, they mentioned the low frame-rates on the base version. My experience has been quite the opposite, it held a stable 30fps on the pro in my 3 hours with the game.

Is there a specific place where it's known to drop a lot?

Yeah they have. That's what got me wondering because even up until the last F4 DF analysis, they mentioned the low frame-rates on the base version. My experience has been quite the opposite, it held a stable 30fps on the pro in my 3 hours with the game.

i have no idea. now that you mention it, i wonder if Witcher 3 has any immediate benefits from the Pro as well.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is specific to HDR support. I can't believe their top of the line sound bar the HT-ST9 doesn't support HDR through their 4K compatible HDMI ports.

So if you connect your PS4 though a Sony sound bar be aware.

Devil

So, I'll be hooking up my new Pro tomorrow and do the transfer. I will use the router method via ethernet. Anything I'll need to look out for? I assume the Pro will go through the process of asking me for my account when turning it on for the first time before I can do the transfer. Do I have to skip this somehow and just start the transfer? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I've been asking myself what to turn on etc in which order :D

Since I'll be selling the old one, I'll just set the Pro as primary console and do a system reset on the old one, correct?

Grinchy

Banned

I have to assume that the Corvega power plant would be one of those places. Been there yet? That place even ruins my performance on PC.

Audioboxer

Cross post, but it looks like I'm be joining the Pro party tomorrow. Away ahead of schedule, I was going to wait until next year

I wasn't planning on buying a PS4 Pro till next year due to the costs involved, but this was just too good to turn up

TohOwa1.png

Amazon Warehouse are doing £50 off purchases over £200 up until tomorrow I think it is. The PS4 Pros come in and out of stock. Was one yesterday which went, and I just spotted one again just now.

Usually "very good" is pretty much new in box. Box might be a bit beaten up.

Some questions for the tech folk. My receiver supports 4K passthrough, but sadly not HDR passthrough. My TV however supports HDR. Is my only option to go PS4 Pro straight to TV with HDMI and then use an optical lead for audio?

Cross post, but it looks like I'm be joining the Pro party tomorrow. Away ahead of schedule, I was going to wait until next year

Some questions for the tech folk. My receiver supports 4K passthrough, but sadly not HDR passthrough. My TV however supports HDR. Is my only option to go PS4 Pro straight to TV with HDMI and then use an optical lead for audio?
If you want HDR, then you know the answer is yes :)

Audioboxer

If you want HDR, then you know the answer is yes :)

Yeah thought so, it was more probing about the audio front. If I hook my PS4 pro up to the arc HDMI slot on my TV, and then take another HDMI cable from my TV to my audio receiver can the PS4 pass audio to the TV, and then have it passed to the receiver? Basically to keep lossless audio?

HDMI 1 is arc enabled on my TV and currently has an hdmi cable going to my receiver. My ps4, xb1, shield TV and what not all plug directly into my receiver. I guess messing with this would cause me headaches for the XB1, SHTV and even my TVs built in TV tuner which passes audio to my receiver when I watch TV. Having the receiver hooked directly into the arc HDMI slot is pretty much a must.

If I leave HDMI 1 alone, and plug my PS4 Pro into HDMI 2 I'll obviously get HDR. As above though is audio going to have to be done via optical? I don't know if the PS4 can pass lossless audio via the HDMI 2 cable to the TV, which the TV then passes down the HDMI 1 cable to the receiver?

Considering I only bought this receiver this year to get 4K support on my new 4K TV I had no idea HDR also had it's own fucking passthrough enabled support needed. What a crapshoot releasing 4K receivers without HDR support. Cheers technology.

edit: Other question I have is does the PS4 Pro support the LAN backup method to copy a PS4 hard drive over to another PS4/Pro console? I done this with the PS3 when I got a Slim PS3. Means not having to copy to an external hard drive, and then copy back to the console. You just copy console to console.

MANGOD

Banned
Any hitman impressions? Was hoping on a digital foundary vid but even searching youtube there are only a few vids. Is it a res boost or framerate? Both?

I thought it looked stunning on my 4K display, and ran super smooth running on the Pro. I mean, it's all anecdotal here, so it would be interesting to find out what exactly was enhanced, but it hit the two big points for me so I can't say I'm not satisfied.

Same for me - looks excellent on my 4K TV - better than original PS4 far better. Smooth as well

kaitain19

Then check out those comparisons. If the Pro shots look better to you, go for it. I know my Pro purchase was purely an impulse buy and the IQ bump isn't worth 230 euro difference I paid, but whatever I'm a geek and money isn't an issue.

To be honest, the biggest issue for me is the fact that the Pro will only be released in my country around the end of December, at the very least. I don't know if I can wait that long.

Oh well, at least I still have Pokemon Sun to keep me busy this month.

zoukka

If the Pro would mostly benefit performance of the games instead of the IQ, I would recommend Pro for everyone without any hesitation.

Top Bottom