• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Audioboxer

If the Pro would mostly benefit performance of the games instead of the IQ, I would recommend Pro for everyone without any hesitation.

I at least hope more devs focus on SP options around performance, notably 60FPS. I get the arguments around not touching MP too much to "give an advantage", but in SP put some effort in devs.

The Souls series is the only game I'd begrudgingly say okay stay at 30FPS, but locked, due to MP elements being part of the SP. The frame pacing and stupid FPS drops need fixed though.

Could be my imagination but I'm pretty sure Dishonored 2 has dynamic res going on consoles. When I played
Edge of the world
I was rather disappointed however later levels look sharper IMO. So I'm actually happy with how it looks on the Pro. Hopefully DF explain it to us soon

Considering how the game runs on PC it looks pretty great. Maybe when they optimize the performance we'll get a res bump on Pro

i have no idea. now that you mention it, i wonder if Witcher 3 has any immediate benefits from the Pro as well.

I'm not sure about the Witcher. I'm going to install it once I get the GOTY edition.

I have to assume that the Corvega power plant would be one of those places. Been there yet? That place even ruins my performance on PC.

Nope, I have only played it for about 3 hours. I helped the minute man and his people in their journey to the sanctuary last night.

Have Blizzard confirmed what the Pro patch did to Overwatch?

No, but I did see a comparison and the Pro seems to have better anisotropic filtering and probably a locked resolution.

You can play the entire game for free this weekend.

Grinchy

Banned
Nope, I have only played it for about 3 hours. I helped the minute man and his people in their journey to the sanctuary last night.

Well, hopefully patches have smoothed out the framerate. At launch on PC, the area outside of the power plant gave me and reportedly many others some pretty big hits to performance. If Digital Foundry noticed dips on PS4, I'm assuming it's big outdoor areas like that.

Well, hopefully patches have smoothed out the framerate. At launch on PC, the area outside of the power plant gave me and reportedly many others some pretty big hits to performance. If Digital Foundry noticed dips on PS4, I'm assuming it's big outdoor areas like that.

I see. Thanks for the info :)

I'll report back once I get to corvega power plant, hopefully it doesn't dip in the low 20's.

Dio

Banned
Is there a solution for using netflix on a 1080p60 monitor?

EDIT: Oh, okay. Safe mode and switching HDMI to 1.4 worked.

nasanu

Banned
Anyone know the availability of the pro in Japan? Amazon has it for 56000yen which seems way overpriced. Can you just walk into bic camera and pic one up for 48000?

Deku Tree

Which game should I buy for PS4 Pro: The Last Guardian or Final Fantasy XV?

garveyfpk7m.png

They are not in the 1.12 update coming this week, so next update means 1.13.

Now I know when I'm gonna re-start Fallout 4.

Lady Gaia

Yeah thought so, it was more probing about the audio front. If I hook my PS4 pro up to the arc HDMI slot on my TV, and then take another HDMI cable from my TV to my audio receiver can the PS4 pass audio to the TV, and then have it passed to the receiver? Basically to keep lossless audio?

ARC doesn't support lossless audio except in stereo. It's the same set of limitations imposed on optical connections. If you do decide to continue with an ARC setup, the HDMI cable from your television to the receiver needs to be plugged into the TV's ARC HDMI port (it is the "audio return" channel after all.)

edit: Other question I have is does the PS4 Pro support the LAN backup method to copy a PS4 hard drive over to another PS4/Pro console? I done this with the PS3 when I got a Slim PS3. Means not having to copy to an external hard drive, and then copy back to the console. You just copy console to console.

Yes, you can copy from console to console over a local network or even with just an Ethernet cable directly between the two consoles.

So I was thinking about buying one of these this week, as I won 20 oz of pure silver bullion from a raffle and can probably get about 300 for it. My 4k TV only has one 4k60hz hdmi slot, which my pc is already plugged in to. I can get my lazy ass up to switch inputs, but I wanted to know how big the upgrade is or if it's possibly worth it to just run it in 1080p with potentially better performance.

lawtowler

Will I be able to reap the full 4k benefits by using a 4k capable monitor? Priced a lot more reasonable than a TV and I always use monitor's for gaming.

brau

Earlier today my PS4 Pro had that blinking blue light issue. Stayed like that until i pressed the power button for 7 or 10 seconds until it shut down. Turned it back on again and it worked just fine.

Should i be concerned?

Googling the issue said that this is when HDMI or TV input is not recognized. It could also be a power supply cable issue or it could be a faulty or misplaced HDD. Never had this issue before on my stock PS4. Did replace the HDD to a hybrid on my stock ps4. but not on this one. Any one else affected by this? i hope it doesn't become a problem.

Audioboxer

ARC doesn't support lossless audio except in stereo. It's the same set of limitations imposed on optical connections. If you do decide to continue with an ARC setup, the HDMI cable from your television to the receiver needs to be plugged into the TV's ARC HDMI port (it is the "audio return" channel after all.)

Yes, you can copy from console to console over a local network or even with just an Ethernet cable directly between the two consoles.

Ah okay, cheers, best just to hookup the PS4 Pro over optical. The alternative is losing HDR in favour of uncompressed audio (plugging the Pro into the receiver via HDMI).

Well, at least until I upgrade my audio receiver AGAIN. *sigh*

Lady Gaia

Ah okay, cheers, best just to hookup the PS4 Pro over optical. The alternative is losing HDR in favour of uncompressed audio (plugging the Pro into the receiver via HDMI).

Well, at least until I upgrade my audio receiver AGAIN. *sigh*

Yes, I'm in the same boat here with a 4K/60Hz receiver that doesn't support HDR. Thankfully it was also a lower end model intended as a stopgap for a few years, so I'm just waiting for a good deal on the receiver I actually want.

In the meantime I'm running optical out on the PS4 Pro to avoid all the weird drama that comes from enabling HDMI CEC to get ARC support. I'd had decent things to say about Denon before, but this model has been a minefield of quirks that has me planning to move to Yamaha.

If the Pro would mostly benefit performance of the games instead of the IQ, I would recommend Pro for everyone without any hesitation.
Isn't it the case that Pro mostly benefits performance and IQ? Only a couple games seem to take a performance hit in exchange for looking better. While a similarly small number offer a jump from 30 to 60fps, the tests I've seen show improved stability of the base framerate on lots of games.

Audioboxer

Yes, I'm in the same boat here with a 4K/60Hz receiver that doesn't support HDR. Thankfully it was also a lower end model intended as a stopgap for a few years, so I'm just waiting for a good deal on the receiver I actually want.

In the meantime I'm running optical out on the PS4 Pro to avoid all the weird drama that comes from enabling HDMI CEC to get ARC support. I'd had decent things to say about Denon before, but this model has been a minefield of quirks that has me planning to move to Yamaha.

Any issues with latency on audio? I have never actually ran a consoles audio through optical. Always been done via HDMI pass-through.

I take it you have just plugged your PS4 pro into HDMI 2 (or higher) on your TV?

Antifaith

Neo Member
Anyone else running into an issue with their PS4 Pro not going into rest mode? I try putting it in rest mode, the yellow light never stops blinking and the only way I can get it to turn back on is by unplugging the power.

Does the ps4 pro have an additional usb slot? I'd like to be able to connect my blue snowball, controller by usb, and dss2 surround sound processor.

Thinking about returning my PS4 pro. I have buyers remorse and was really playing the crap out of gears 4 and Titanfall 2 multiplayer but kind of feel like I'm just fiddling with games here and there to see the enhancements that I can clearly see but not sure if it's worth it. Everything I want coming soon is on both anyway.

Hmmmmmm

Man, I wish overwatch had a 4k update. I still love the art style, but on a 4ktv it's shimmering all over the place.
Overwatch's pro patch seems incredibly lazy. The better AF is nice but I'm 100% sure it's just locked at 1080p now, no higher - which seems like a waste of GPU power considering equivalent PC cards at the very least would be getting 1440p. The tutorial stage for example runs at 1080p on OG PS4 and in a Pro comparison the aliasing was like for like, right down to the length of the artifacts on distant barriers.

adversarial

Just tried to order a PS4 Pro with the Target Wishlist coupon, they accepted the order initially but then fucking cancelled it. Now the promo code doesn't work. Spoke with two agents and neither knew why it was cancelled. Good stuff.

Lady Gaia

Any issues with latency on audio? I have never actually ran a consoles audio through optical. Always been done via HDMI pass-through.

I take it you have just plugged your PS4 pro into HDMI 2 (or higher) on your TV?

You're quite right about the connection. I use one of the TV's four HDMI connections for the PS4 and one for the receiver. My Harmony remote automatically switches everything so I get the right combination of inputs with a single button press. Audio latency is comparable to HDMI. It seems slightly better for me with LPCM output via optical than Dolby or DTS, but then you're stuck with stereo.

Anyone else running into an issue with their PS4 Pro not going into rest mode? I try putting it in rest mode, the yellow light never stops blinking and the only way I can get it to turn back on is by unplugging the power.

A day or two back I had the same experience when running 4.05. I hope 4.06 addressed it because that's a bad situation, but if not then I'm sure it's a top priority for Sony.

Overwatch's pro patch seems incredibly lazy. The better AF is nice but I'm 100% sure it's just locked at 1080p now, no higher - which seems like a waste of GPU power considering equivalent PC cards at the very least would be getting 1440p. The tutorial stage for example runs at 1080p on OG PS4 and in a Pro comparison the aliasing was like for like, right down to the length of the artifacts on distant barriers.

Yeah. At 4k, 1080 looks noticeably fuzzy. It really doesn't help that I'm playing Titanfall 2 at it's 4k resolution and coming to overwatch to continue my season.

Overwatch's pro patch seems incredibly lazy. The better AF is nice but I'm 100% sure it's just locked at 1080p now, no higher - which seems like a waste of GPU power considering equivalent PC cards at the very least would be getting 1440p.
The win screen, that shows the winning team in their victory poses, has always looked sub-1080p to me, even after this Pro patch.

Audioboxer

You're quite right about the connection. I use one of the TV's four HDMI connections for the PS4 and one for the receiver. My Harmony remote automatically switches everything so I get the right combination of inputs with a single button press. Audio latency is comparable to HDMI. It seems slightly better for me with LPCM output via optical than Dolby or DTS, but then you're stuck with stereo.

A day or two back I had the same experience when running 4.05. I hope 4.06 addressed it because that's a bad situation, but if not then I'm sure it's a top priority for Sony.

Cheers, and yeah HDMI-CEC or whatever it is called is something I love. PS4 turning on the TV and audio receiver over HDMI and what not. TV remote working my Nvidia Shield TV (I have the gamepad, not the nvidia remote).

I had my feathers ruffled when I bought an XB1 and it doesn't do any of this. Screw buying a Kinect :p

Kyoufu

Anyone tried Shadow of Mordor on Pro? I haven't played the game in years so maybe my memory is fuzzy, but the game feels really sluggish to control. Did they add a ton of input lag or was it always like this?

Anyone tried Shadow of Mordor on Pro? I haven't played the game in years so maybe my memory is fuzzy, but the game feels really sluggish to control. Did they add a ton of input lag or was it always like this?
It doesn't feel any different and I last played it a couple of weeks ago and again on Wednesday. The controls have always been a bit shitty.

ghibli99

Finally got mine up and running last night after hours of setup/transferring (playing on an X800D). Ratchet & Clank looks so damn good on it. The clarity of background objects is a big improvement over the OG PS4. Infamous: First Light also runs nicely, and looks good in HDR. I almost have to squint when the lighting effects fill up the screen. Rez Infinite tonight though. That's the one I've been chomping at the bit to play.

Just tried to order a PS4 Pro with the Target Wishlist coupon, they accepted the order initially but then fucking cancelled it. Now the promo code doesn't work. Spoke with two agents and neither knew why it was cancelled. Good stuff.

That sucks. I used that to get a discount on my Pro but had to wait for it to be shipped from Tucson, AZ when there were plenty at other local retailers. Ordered a week ago and picked it up last night.

Wallaby32

Neo Member
all the marketing hype around 4K. LOL
I mean, going by the logic they use with the naming convention of 4K, wouldn't we call 1920X1080p = 2K?

we use the vertical lines number with 1080 and 1440, but, with 4K they decide to use the horizontal number (3840). Seems like a marketing exaggeration, anyone else think so?

EDIT:the only other way I think they can arrive at 4K is that is has 4 times as many pixels as 1080p.

Top Bottom