• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Woooooooooo.

Transferring via LAN cable now. This basically erases the old PS4 Hard Drive now, right? It's a 2TB one, so I'm hoping it's clean so I can work on backing up the Pro and swapping HDs straight away.

Lima

Woooooooooo.

Transferring via LAN cable now. This basically erases the old PS4 Hard Drive now, right? It's a 2TB one, so I'm hoping it's clean so I can work on backing up the Pro and swapping HDs straight away.

No it doesn't do anything to the old PS4 hdd. All the data still stays on there.

I've seen overwatch pro rumours.

Anything concrete?

The win screen, that shows the winning team in their victory poses, has always looked sub-1080p to me, even after this Pro patch.

Yeah. At 4k, 1080 looks noticeably fuzzy. It really doesn't help that I'm playing Titanfall 2 at it's 4k resolution and coming to overwatch to continue my season.
Yep, did nothing. Locked 1080p with better AF. And absolutely nothing else. https://youtu.be/DrWoDjj6xHI

Oh wait, they draw the HUD at 4K over a 1080p image. 😂

flattie

Had my Pro for a few days now. Some thoughts:

+ UI seems more fluid. Subtle, but there.
+ I like the updated DS4. No glossy bits and PS2 style black/grey accents.
+ Console build quality is nice. Robust and solid. That may be more by virtue of its weight than it being different to the OG/Slim, though.

- Console light bar. Cheap and tacky. Should have followed the Slim's lead on this one.
- I wish they didn't make the console so deep. Considering the exhaust is at the rear, it has made positioning more tricky than any other console I've ever had.

Observations

Noise and heat are fine for me. I can hear it and it does seem to change pitch an awful lot, but loudness is fine. About as good as my C Chassis. Gets warmest at top rear, where I believe the PSU resides.

So far I've played Dishonoured 2 and Uncharted 4 on it (as far as Pro patched games are concerned). If I'm being brutally honest, I can't tell the difference between either of them and their OG versions. I'm on a 1080p TV, for info. Still, I'm hopeful that FF15 delivers on the 1080/60 front and also that TLG offers some nice improvements.

Overall, I'm not blown away by any measure, but I wasn't expecting to be. My reasoning for picking one up was nothing more than I didn't want to end up in a position like last gen where games towards the end of the cycle were really struggling performance wise. I'm hoping the Pro (and Scorpio) prevent that from happening again once devs have time to really start making use of the extra grunt. This obviously presumes that we'll continue to see 1080p modes put out alongside the higher res modes.

What Marty Chinn said. You should want Netflix to be 24Hz, since that is the majority of what its content is. Yes, there is 30Hz content, too, I'm sure. I would take an educated guess and say there's way more 24 fps content, though.[/QUOTE]

Sorry that's what I meant. Any solutions?

noomi

So is there a list of games that support HDR.

There are so many threads about which games have 4k or updates for the pro, but nothing that shows all the game that specifically have HDR.

Im curious about Infinite Warfare and Watxh Dogs 2, do they have HDR?

All i know is that rachet, last of us, uncharted have HDR... not sure about any other games...

breakfuss

So is there a list of games that support HDR.

There are so many threads about which games have 4k or updates for the pro, but nothing that shows all the game that specifically have HDR.

Im curious about Infinite Warfare and Watxh Dogs 2, do they have HDR?

All i know is that rachet, last of us, uncharted have HDR... not sure about any other games...

I'm sure there's a list floating around here somewhere. I rented Infinite Warfare and can confirm it doesn't have HDR support. And I've heard nothing about Watch Dogs 2 HDR so I don't believe it supports it either.

I've played R&C, TLoU, Second Son and First Light.

taoofjord

+ Console build quality is nice. Robust and solid. That may be more by virtue of its weight than it being different to the OG/Slim, though.

- Console light bar. Cheap and tacky. Should have followed the Slim's lead on this one.
- I wish they didn't make the console so deep. Considering the exhaust is at the rear, it has made positioning more tricky than any other console I've ever had.

Observations

Noise and heat are fine for me. I can hear it and it does seem to change pitch an awful lot, but loudness is fine. About as good as my C Chassis. Gets warmest at top rear, where I believe the PSU resides.

So far I've played Dishonoured 2 and Uncharted 4 on it (as far as Pro patched games are concerned). If I'm being brutally honest, I can't tell the difference between either of them and their OG versions. I'm on a 1080p TV, for info. Still, I'm hopeful that FF15 delivers on the 1080/60 front and also that TLG offers some nice improvements.

Overall, I'm not blown away by any measure, but I wasn't expecting to be. My reasoning for picking one up was nothing more than I didn't want to end up in a position like last gen where games towards the end of the cycle were really struggling performance wise. I'm hoping the Pro (and Scorpio) prevent that from happening again once devs have time to really start making use of the extra grunt. This obviously presumes that we'll continue to see 1080p modes put out alongside the higher res modes.

Without a 4K TV, yeah, the difference will be less noticeable. Super sampling is great though, but the difference there also depends on the size of your TV/distance you view it from.

Some Super Sexy Poster on NeoGAF said:
What Marty Chinn said. You should want Netflix to be 24Hz, since that is the majority of what its content is. Yes, there is 30Hz content, too, I'm sure. I would take an educated guess and say there's way more 24 fps content, though.

Sorry that's what I meant. Any solutions?
You quoted from another thread and posted it here. What TV do you have again? I'll look into Netflix on the Pro later today and provide some more information, if someone hasn't beaten me to the punch.

ukas

Anyone know how to pull up the streaming info on Netflix now that they've updated the app? R3 doesn't work anymore.

Lima

You quoted from another thread and posted it here. What TV do you have again? I'll look into Netflix on the Pro later today and provide some more information, if someone hasn't beaten me to the punch.

There is nothing that needs to be looked at. You can't force Netflix to output at 23,976. 60Hz is fine anyway because it can just do a 3:2 pull down. Not ideal but still.

ZOONAMI

Depends on your unit. Mine is fine.
15153121_128724120466lns3b.jpg

Fuck. Might be returning mine.

So I have a 55" Sony XBR x810c, a 2015 model. It is 4K, but not HDR. I purchased it on BF weekend last year, and I wasn't too interested in HDR because every major media publication and TV review I could find mentioned that HDR was super early and wasn't going to be a thing on anything aside from streaming movies and the not-out-at-the-time UHD Blu Ray format. Since I didn't care much about movies, I thought I would be pretty set for a few years. Wrong. I've been trying to unload it via Craigslist, but not having much luck so far getting offers for what I feel is a fair price. I want to get the KS8000 or KS8500, but I think I may have to hold off if I can't find a buyer.

Anyway, aside from the lack of HDR and WCG display, it has an amazing picture quality. VA panel, native contrast is sky high, direct backlit rather than edge-lit, good black levels, 120Hz native panel, and all 4 HDMI ports are 4K/60Hz with HDCP 2.2. It's really a solid 4K television all around, just sans HDR, WCG, and any type of backlight dimming feature.

My question is, would the PS4 Pro still be worth it? I've been reading mixed reactions. At first, the general consensus was that the HDR image was the bigger deal, and not necessarily the upped resolution. Now, I'm reading that the HDR effect is minimal in a lot of titles (InFamous titles in particular, where there seems to be a lot of black crush and the HDR effects aren't too great), but the 1440p native with 4K upscale makes a huge different in clarity (ala TitanFall 2, which I just ordered yesterday for $27 dollars).

Also, I believe Kotaku mentioned that they are getting word of a Black Friday bundle on the Pro that includes Watch Dogs 2 and SF V for $399. Has anyone heard any more about this?

Thank you!

So I have a 55" Sony XBR x810c, a 2015 model. It is 4K, but not HDR. I purchased it on BF weekend last year, and I wasn't too interested in HDR because every major media publication and TV review I could find mentioned that HDR was super early and wasn't going to be a thing on anything aside from streaming movies and the not-out-at-the-time UHD Blu Ray format. Since I didn't care much about movies, I thought I would be pretty set for a few years. Wrong. I've been trying to unload it via Craigslist, but not having much luck so far getting offers for what I feel is a fair price. I want to get the KS8000 or KS8500, but I think I may have to hold off if I can't find a buyer.

Anyway, aside from the lack of HDR and WCG display, it has an amazing picture quality. VA panel, native contrast is sky high, direct backlit rather than edge-lit, good black levels, 120Hz native panel, and all 4 HDMI ports are 4K/60Hz with HDCP 2.2. It's really a solid 4K television all around, just sans HDR, WCG, and any type of backlight dimming feature.

My question is, would the PS4 Pro still be worth it? I've been reading mixed reactions. At first, the general consensus was that the HDR image was the bigger deal, and not necessarily the upped resolution. Now, I'm reading that the HDR effect is minimal in a lot of titles (InFamous titles in particular, where there seems to be a lot of black crush and the HDR effects aren't too great), but the 1440p native with 4K upscale makes a huge different in clarity (ala TitanFall 2, which I just ordered yesterday for $27 dollars).

Also, I believe Kotaku mentioned that they are getting word of a Black Friday bundle on the Pro that includes Watch Dogs 2 and SF V for $399. Has anyone heard any more about this?

Thank you!
Yep. Still worth it. I have a non-HDR 4K too, and Pro is a fantastic upgrade.

Snookie

Just got mine today. I sold me old ps4 with a 2tb drive for $250 and used the 10% off at Target to get it. Only had to pay about 100 or so out of pocket(had a gift card as well). Its restoring data currently so i cant play it yet.

Audioboxer

My Pro arrived and it seems to be all good!

Does this mean HDR is working fine?

RGgtFWN.jpg

Settings I had only state "automatic" or "off" for HDR. No option to manually put to on.

Also for the questions around audio I asked earlier in this topic, I plugged my pro into HDMI 1 so that I can supposedly get HDR from my TV. My audio receiver which is in HDMI 4 for ARC doesn't support HDR, only 4K. Either way when I booted up my Pro the audio is coming out from my audio system and not my TV speakers?

Must be that the Pro is passing the audio to the TV in HDMI 1, and then the TV is sending it via HDMI 4 to my audio system. PS4 main menu audio is 2 channel PCM, but if this provides 5.1 when I boot a game all will be well having it setup like this and not needing to use optical.

I have nothing on the Pro to test right now, have to do a hard drive transfer. Need to make my mind up what I'm doing. My PS4 has a 2TB 5400RPM drive. It used to have a 750GB 7200 SSD Hybrid in it. I opted to go up to 2TB eventually as PS4 is locked as SATA2. I assume as the Pro has a better connector and sata 3 support it might be worth trying to make do with the 750GB SSH Hybrid? Or should I just go with the 2TB in my PS4?

edit: Ah for audio it is only passing 2 channel stereo to my TV and to the audio system. I'll need to use an optical cable as suspected to get 5.1.

Audioboxer

Sorry for double post, I found this setting on my TV

RfsKqTE.jpg

When I change it to auto 1 it seems to allow the PS4 to pass DTS or Dolby Digital via HDMI 1 to the TV and then down HDMI 4 (ARC) to the audio system. My DTS 5.1 notification comes up on my receiver.

Where as when it is set at output in PCM no matter what I do in PS4 Pro settings the receiver says PCM (2.0). It seems my TV can pass DTS or Dolby through HDMI, which is all I'd get through optical anyway. PCM 5.1 doesn't seem to work, it's 2.0 only. Where as my PS4 which gets plugged right into my audio receiver can do PCM 5.1 (and says 5.1 on my home menu, not 2.0 like the Pro hooked into the TV).

Audio systems do my nut in, especially only learning months after buying this one HDR needs an additional spec on top of 4K. I can confirm if I plug my Pro into my audio system "HDR on TV" message above says no, HDCP 1.4. So I guess that answers my own question. When the Pro is plugged directly into my TV HDR is working.

HDR and DTS it is! I can live without 5.1 PCM as I'm not shelling out hundreds more for yet another audio system just to get HDR pass-through.

I ordered one of these but I haven't opened it.

I'm one more negative story away from returning it. I think Sony really dropped the ball on this launch and this console. Games with worse performance at 1080p? Screens flickering, random consoles with high pitched fan noise, 4k playback issues everywhere, the nightmare transfer process.. What a joke.

The promise of 1080p/60 final Fantasy 15 is the only thing I'm holding onto it for but I'm sure that's a lie or will never happen or won't happen for 6 months.

Observations

I had the same reasoning as you and I'm ready to return mine. I should have known they wouldn't spend any time making 1080p higher performance modes and instead force down sampling at lower or similar performance.

Super sampling is nice but I've seen it on pc. It's something you notice for a bit and then forget about.

Audioboxer

Sorry for double post, I found this setting on my TV

RfsKqTE.jpg

When I change it to auto 1 it seems to allow the PS4 to pass DTS or Dolby Digital via HDMI 1 to the TV and then down HDMI 4 (ARC) to the audio system. My DTS 5.1 notification comes up on my receiver.

Where as when it is set at output in PCM no matter what I do in PS4 Pro settings the receiver says PCM (2.0). It seems my TV can pass DTS or Dolby through HDMI, which is all I'd get through optical anyway. PCM 5.1 doesn't seem to work, it's 2.0 only. Where as my PS4 which gets plugged right into my audio receiver can do PCM 5.1 (and says 5.1 on my home menu, not 2.0 like the Pro hooked into the TV).

Audio systems do my nut in, especially only learning months after buying this one HDR needs an additional spec on top of 4K. I can confirm if I plug my Pro into my audio system "HDR on TV" message above says no, HDCP 1.4. So I guess that answers my own question. When the Pro is plugged directly into my TV HDR is working.

HDR and DTS it is! I can live without 5.1 PCM as I'm not shelling out hundreds more for yet another audio system just to get HDR pass-through.

lol answering my own question again, but for anyone reading

PCM

PCM is an uncompressed audio format, which means it will theoretically have the best overall sound quality, as no information has been removed to facilitate transmitting the signal. PCM is sent unencoded by the source, meaning the full, unpacked ‘instructions’ for what sounds to play are sent directly from the source to receiver, and then on to the speakers.

Unfortunately, this makes for a signal that is more difficult to transmit. No TV seems to be able to pass a 5.1 PCM signal through to a sound system, so sending a PCM signal to or from a TV will downgrade the signal to 2.1 (two speakers + one subwoofer), thus eliminating the extra channels necessary for surround sound.

PCM 5.1 can work with a receiver that supports the format, so if you want uncompressed sound, you’ll need to forego passing the audio through your TV, and instead output the sound directly from the source (one that outputs PCM 5.1) to the receiver. Note that only HDMI can transmit a 5.1 PCM signal. Digital optical is only capable of transmitting a 2.1 or 2.0 PCM signal.

When to use PCM

For 5.1 audio, use PCM sound only if you

Output audio directly from each source device and to the receiver.
Output this audio via HDMI, and not optical.

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

So as suspected Auto 1 means passing DTS or DD, Auto 2 seems to mean passing either of those if that is source, or PCM (but limited to 2.0), and PCM is PCM at all times (but limited to 2.0). Unless I buy another audio receiver with HDR support I'll be rocking 5.1 DTS from now on on the Pro. My setup probably isn't good enough to notice the difference between DTS and PCM anyway. Happy I don't need to dig out an optical cable either.

lol answering my own question again, but for anyone reading

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

So as suspected Auto 1 means passing DTS or DD, Auto 2 seems to mean passing either of those if that is source, or PCM (but limited to 2.0), and PCM is PCM at all times (but limited to 2.0). Unless I buy another audio receiver with HDR support I'll be rocking 5.1 DTS from now on on the Pro. My setup probably isn't good enough to notice the difference between DTS and PCM anyway. Happy I don't need to dig out an optical cable either.

You could always get an HDMI splitter, sending one to the receiver and one to the TV

Audioboxer

You could always get an HDMI splitter, sending one to the receiver and one to the TV

Someone mentioned that earlier.

Are both outputs active at the same time though? I mean how does that work? Does the box know it's sending video via out of the outputs, and audio via the other?

Even if it does that proper HDCP 2.0 splitters seem to cost £30+.

Nightmare transfer process? Was pretty painless for me, sure it took an hour or so but that's hardly a big deal.

Currently at 4 hours to backup my PS4 2TB hard drive so I can then take it out and put it in Pro. I guess I should have started backup yesterday and I'd only have the restore to do tonight :(

23qwerty

I'm one more negative story away from returning it. I think Sony really dropped the ball on this launch and this console. Games with worse performance at 1080p? Screens flickering, random consoles with high pitched fan noise, 4k playback issues everywhere, the nightmare transfer process.. What a joke.

The promise of 1080p/60 final Fantasy 15 is the only thing I'm holding onto it for but I'm sure that's a lie or will never happen or won't happen for 6 months.
Nightmare transfer process? Was pretty painless for me, sure it took an hour or so but that's hardly a big deal.

Massa

If I didn't have one and got all my information from the internet overreacting I'd probably be upset too.

Alas, it's an amazing system. VR is night and day. Games that were sub-1080p now actually look crisp and clear. BF1 in particular looks and runs much better.

Couldn't be happier with the system, and that's with developers barely having had time with it. It will only get better from here when the Pro is part of the development process and not a patch worked out at the last second.

Audioboxer

Ah, that's not really the normal transfer process though

Did you just do ethernet from one console to the other? I considered doing that but at the end of the day I'll be happier with 2TB space in my pro like I've gotten used to in my PS4. Those 40~60GB game installs are crazy.

For now the OG PS4 will just be a backup unit so I'll just chuck the 1TB hard drive in it. Or I might put it in my PS3. Probably not though the PS3 backup software is the worst POS on this planet. I remember it took me days, yes days, to backup my PS3 hard drive.

I wish you could just take the drive out of one and put it in the other but stupid Sony protection means it always clean formats a new drive.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I didn't get $10... who do I complain to? Live chat site is garbage, won't load.

Did you get a Pro and are you in the US ?

Seems like so far most people who've received their cuts are Pro owners in the US. (yay me)

Kalentan

So question... So I maybe getting a 4k tv (using 1080p right now), and I'm just wondering. How do non-Pro 1080p games look on a 4k tv? Blurry?

There is nothing that needs to be looked at. You can't force Netflix to output at 23,976. 60Hz is fine anyway because it can just do a 3:2 pull down. Not ideal but still.
Wow, yeah, I didn't know that. The PS4 will only kick into 24Hz on Blu-Rays. Lame.

It seems an odd choice to make, considering Netflix does play 24Hz on other devices.

Audioboxer

So question... So I maybe getting a 4k tv (using 1080p right now), and I'm just wondering. How do non-Pro 1080p games look on a 4k tv? Blurry?

Nah everything is fine. Most TVs have decent upscalers so 1080p content on a 4K panel is fine.

I mean most Blu Ray's don't even support 4K yet. TVs jumped the gun a while back, and media is only beginning to catch up now.

The light bar on the launch PS4 was meant to be uneven. Not sure about the pro tho.

When I said uneven, I meant it had a couple of random bright spots.

No way I'd return my unit over this microscopic imperfection. Not worth the hassle.

q23DqQh.jpg

Yea, that's home alone on bluray.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I'm playing The Witcher 3, the game doesn't have a Pro mode. Looks GORGEOUS. Maybe not as crisp and clear as some of the Pro supported games, but it's definitely not the same as running SD content on HD devices. I guess this somewhat depends on your TV's scalar too. Not all scalars upscale the same quality but most current TV's should do a good enough job of it.

Haines

Banned
The more Pro enhanced games I play the more I wish every game had a 1080p30 + enhanced graphics option.

Watch Dogs 2 looks ok I guess but at higher res on a huge tv the pop in and detail scaling is just painfully obvious. If they could use any of the extra power to hide that shit but just have it run at 1080p I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I guess what I'm really saying is that I want options... so, in before someone tells me to just get a PC I guess...

Edit:

Actually, even though Sony meant for the Pro to be a stop gap to keep people from jumping to PC mid generation.. it's kind of having the opposite effect on me and I'm way more tempted now than ever to just build a PC. I thought the Pro would hold me over but they just didn't make it powerful enough..

Are you not playing on a 4k hdr tv ? Thats your problem, lol.

Top Bottom