• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I can't get over how clean infinite warfare looks. I feel like I've said it a million times now but damn. Not a jaggy in sight.

Yep, blew my mind that console games could look this good. Same for Mordor, it's a bit old now but MAN it looks clean as fuck on Pro with the high resolution option.

Audioboxer

When I said uneven, I meant it had a couple of random bright spots.

No way I'd return my unit over this microscopic imperfection. Not worth the hassle.

q23DqQh.jpg

Yea, that's home alone on bluray.

Nah man it's just a cheap LED. If you have a quiet unit don't even worry about it. Mines is brighter on the left and fades out along the way, and some spots seem uneven. Pretty whacky place to put the LED. They should have made the logo on top light up lol.

Overall the design of the Pro is just meh all round. It's inoffensive but at the same time awfully uninspired. It's what is inside that counts though, and going bigger with more vents is probably what makes it quieter than an OG PS4.

Oneself

Nah man it's just a cheap LED. If you have a quiet unit don't even worry about it. Mines is brighter on the left and fades out along the way, and some spots seem uneven. Pretty whacky place to put the LED. They should have made the logo on top light up lol.

Overall the design of the Pro is just meh all round. It's inoffensive but at the same time awfully uninspired. It's what is inside that counts though.
Wow, I didn't know it was supposed to be even.

Audioboxer

Wow, I didn't know it was supposed to be even.

I don't think it is. They all seem fade out midway. I mean in the process of it fading it isn't perfect. I've got some random bright spots.

It's suppose to be like the original PS4 which faded going from front to back. This fades from left to right.

It's just uninspiring design. Rip the led off the OG PS4 and have to find somewhere to dump it now that the top of the case has changed. As I said a logo on top lighting up would have been some different design.

Ferr986

Overall the design of the Pro is just meh all round. It's inoffensive but at the same time awfully uninspired. It's what is inside that counts though, and going bigger with more vents is probably what makes it quieter than an OS PS4.

IMO the PRO is ugly as fuck. Like, one of the ugliest consoles I ever had. OG looked cool though.

And yeah my lightbar looks uneven too, but my console is pretty silent so not worth the risk to return it.

Audioboxer

IMO the PRO is ugly as fuck. Like, one of the ugliest consoles I ever had. OG looked cool though.

And yeah my lightbar looks uneven too, but my console is pretty silent so not worth the risk to return it.

The only good change for me is no more gloss. Although I know an OG revamp removed gloss a while back. I don't know why these manufacturers keep going with gloss and then a year in dumping it when people complain.

But yeah the Pro is just a heap of plastic. The Slim PS4 is okay looking, it's the triple layer that makes the Pro look even sillier. I get why they want it looking similar to the slim but they could have done something better.

Arkeband

Banned
Took the plunge and upgraded - so far the system has been silent or quieter than my OG PS4, which was already fairly quiet (aside from hairdryer scenes like MGSV Helicopter etc)

Currently going through the transfer process, it estimated ~57 minutes for around 500 GB via Ethernet.

edit: Also, used the Target Wishlist App 10% off and 5% RedCard discount - total, with some groceries, came to $401.

Been thinking about picking up a PS4 for myself this Black Friday seeing how there are some good deals going around, but I'm not sure if I should get the Slim or go for the Pro. I'm probably not going to be getting PS+ for it because I mainly want it for the NaughtyDog games, Journey, Death Stranding (whenever that comes out), and maybe Bloodborne. Is the extra $100 worth it for the Pro if I main Xbox One?

Fliesen

Been thinking about picking up a PS4 for myself this Black Friday seeing how there are some good deals going around, but I'm not sure if I should get the Slim or go for the Pro. I'm probably not going to be getting PS+ for it because I mainly want it for the NaughtyDog games, Journey, Death Stranding (whenever that comes out), and maybe Bloodborne. Is the extra $100 worth it for the Pro if I main Xbox One?

i'd actually say no.
If you mainly want access to the exclusives and don't care about having the (currently) most powerful console as your 'second' console, i'd go with the slim.

Like, what system would you buy the next battlefield on? or Call of Duty? ... if you'd still go with the Xbox (because your friends play there, for example, or you collect your achievements there) - there's no point in getting the pro.

Haines

Banned
How do people say the difference between using a pro on a 4k tv or just on a 1080p tv

When I read it's like trying to Crack a code which people are referring to

Audioboxer

i'd actually say no.
If you mainly want access to the exclusives and don't care about having the (currently) most powerful console as your 'second' console, i'd go with the slim.

Like, what system would you buy the next battlefield on? or Call of Duty? ... if you'd still go with the Xbox (because your friends play there, for example, or you collect your achievements there) - there's no point in getting the pro.

It will end up being the exclusives that take advantage of the Pro the best...

In saying that though the exclusives will also push the original PS4 the best as well.

Raxious

Still not sure if I should trade in my PS4 and get a PRO for 200$, it's tempting but some games I currently play have issues on the pro.

Gazkapop

Didn't realise the initialisation process for the OG PS4 took so long even if you had already deleted everything from the HDD. Guess I won't be playing my pro tonight then.

Didn't realise the initialisation process for the OG PS4 took so long even if you had already deleted everything from the HDD. Guess I won't be playing my pro tonight then.

It's a lot faster to pull the drive out, format it with an enclosure on a computer, and initialize/reinstall the firmware with a USB, if you have an enclosure handy.

Slaythe

Still not sure if I should trade in my PS4 and get a PRO for 200$, it's tempting but some games I currently play have issues on the pro.

Get it dude.

Please. Eventually they'll offer the ability to turn off pro patches if anything, but you won't have an offer like that again .

Fliesen

It will end up being the exclusives that take advantage of the Pro the best...

In saying that though the exclusives will also push the original PS4 the best as well.

while true, i feel like paying ... 40% extra (assuming you'll find deals for 250$ for the slim, 350$ for the pro) to have better IQ on maybe ... 3 titles a year isn't worth it.
Also if the system's gonna be collecting dust throughout most of the year, i'd go with the one that's smaller, too.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well furk. Bought a pro, transfered games over, but then realized most of the games were purchased on my old account, which was banned after it was hacked. The games kept playing on my new psn account on the old console, but yeah, they're locked on the pro. Not only a waste of time transferring, but also a waste of money.

I could live without most of those games, but I still play gtav a lot.

D23

Currently playing titanfall 2 and omfg. The image quality is so clean.. I'm extremely impressed. This is like bullshot.. but I'm actually playing it.

Currently playing titanfall 2 and omfg. The image quality is so clean.. I'm extremely impressed. This is like bullshot.. but I'm actually playing it.

Yup, the IQ is incredible in Titanfall 2. I was originally going to play Tomb Raider on my 1080p TV in Enriched mode, but think I'll need to go with 4K mode so I get the supersampling/god-tier IQ.

Titanfall 2 is the perfect pro patch. Zero aliasing or shimmering with no frame drops. Thats exactly what i want.

splattered

Man I preordered my Pro before launch and finally picked it up from Gamestop last night... when I went into the store I asked again if there were any promos then or in the near future and the dude said nope sorry.

Just now I see over on CAG that next week if you buy any PS4 system you get a copy of Destiny Collection for free???

My wife and I played Destiny a LOT through Taken King and then sold it off. I'm not super into the idea of playing it again though if I would have waited a few days I could have gotten a new release game for free? Wtf.

I called into Gamestop and explained the situation, they told me if I bring the receipt in next week they will hook me up.

Whew.

Btw, have had the Pro since launch and it's damn good. Very pleased with the purchase and giving the gf's younger brother my old ps4 as an early christmas present.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
So I', in BEST BUY to day and I wanted to see a PS4 Pro on a sony 4K TV and much to my surprise and chagrin they have neither demo of the PS4 Pro or the PSVR. Is this a Best Buy choice or a Sony thing? Not gonna buy one unless I see it in its natural setting. Is there a demo tour or another place to see this out in the wild?

i'd actually say no.

Yeah I'd probably be picking up cross platforms for the Xbox. Has the Slim been reviewed well?

Oneself

The only good change for me is no more gloss. Although I know an OG revamp removed gloss a while back. I don't know why these manufacturers keep going with gloss and then a year in dumping it when people complain.

But yeah the Pro is just a heap of plastic. The Slim PS4 is okay looking, it's the triple layer that makes the Pro look even sillier. I get why they want it looking similar to the slim but they could have done something better.
I agree that it looks meh. Kinda like Sony's bluray players. One good thing though, is that it feels quite robust.

I just got one.

Really had no wish for one, until my cousin said he wanted a PS4.

Sold him mine and bought the Pro the same day.

Just downloading all of my games now. Not having high expectations, I don't even have a 4K tv and stuff.

It's kinda lame how much trouble I'm having getting this console to output properly. Of course it's probably either my Onkyo TX-545's fault or something to do with my VIzio P series. Probably the Onkyo. Of course good luck @ me finding anything out. :/ Want to use 2160p RGB while passthrough with receiver so I can have my lossless PCM audio? Get random black screens while playing games for 5 seconds. Try to plug straight to TV rather than receiver passthrough? Audio cuts out randomly for about the same amount of time. I can't win here.

Amazon just shipped mine.

I don't even care about the framerate issues some games seem to have. I just want that downsampled crispness on my 1080p TV. Can't wait. Will replayed U4 and finally finish R&C when I have the Pro.

leng jai

If I were to buy three Pro games to get started it would probably be Watch Dogs 2, Ratchet and one of TF2/IW/BF1 depending on your preference.

It's kinda lame how much trouble I'm having getting this console to output properly. Of course it's probably either my Onkyo TX-545's fault or something to do with my VIzio P series. Probably the Onkyo. Of course good luck @ me finding anything out. :/ Want to use 2160p RGB while passthrough with receiver so I can have my lossless PCM audio? Get random black screens while playing games for 5 seconds. Try to plug straight to TV rather than receiver passthrough? Audio cuts out randomly for about the same amount of time. I can't win here.

Check the cables - a lot of issues comes from cables which seemed fine even with 2160p content but then fail when you try to push 4K HDR signal through them (which requires maximum possible hdmi bandwidth)

Check the cables - a lot of issues comes from cables which seemed fine even with 2160p content but then fail when you try to push 4K HDR signal through them (which requires maximum possible hdmi bandwidth)

I wonder what the best HDMI cables would be to use for PS4 Pro? Currently I'm using one that came with the console + an Amazon Basics High Speed HDMI cable (new standard blahblah).

ramyeon

I thought the transfer process was supposed to be super long? Just got mine home and started it all up - transferring via LAN Cable and it says 80 minutes left. My 500GB PS4 was basically full, too.

Top Bottom