• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Malcolm9

Why are people complaining about the light bar, it's supposed to fade out, it's fairly thin aswell so I'm not sure why some are finding it offensive?? Personally I prefer the look of the Pro over the OG PS4 as well.

Got to agree with the Titanfall 2 praise, the game looks glorious on my 1080p tv.

Why are people complaining about the light bar, it's supposed to fade out, it's fairly thin aswell so I'm not sure why some are finding it offensive?? Personally I prefer the look of the Pro over the OG PS4 as well.

Got to agree with the Titanfall 2 praise, the game looks glorious on my 1080p tv.

The light bar on the console is super annoying and distracting sitting under a TV in a dark room. I covered it with duct tape. Much better.

Super annoying? You must be pretty sensitive to light to find it that way, it's pretty harmless but each to their own.
Look at all the power indicators on devices hooked up to a TV. They are small and not very noticeable. Now try watching a movie with the lights out and a Pro and suddenly you have this big long light sitting under your TV even when the system is asleep. It's not normal compared to every other device in existence and distracting.

Ferr986

Some of us have a lightbar with an uneven fade out. Like its not a completly smooth fade out, it have some (very) slight brighter spots in between.

Its a non issue really, but still.

Super annoying? You must be pretty sensitive to light to find it that way, it's pretty harmless but each to their own.

I'm not sensitive to light generally. But I did find it pretty damn annoying/distracting under my TV in a dark room, and my eyes were being drawn to it. I have no idea what purpose it's supposed to serve anyway. It was in a much better spot on OG PS4.

Melchiah

I thought the transfer process was supposed to be super long? Just got mine home and started it all up - transferring via LAN Cable and it says 80 minutes left. My 500GB PS4 was basically full, too.

Good to know. I've got about 300GB there, and feared it would take far longer than that to do the transfer.

Bebpo

Banned
Really happy with the new dual shock 4. It's probably brought 50% of the enjoyment of the upgrade for me. Mostly because the battery life improvement. DS4's old battery was really annoying and on weekends or holidays limited the amount of time in a day I could play a game because the controller would die in 5 hours. I easily put 10 hours+ into the new DS4 before the low battery sign came up. Very happy about that.

Plus hopefully the analog rubber doesn't fall apart and the L1/R1 bumpers don't stick like the old DS4. I'm assuming they took care of the various manufacturing issues. So yeah, great controller.

RedAssedApe

Banned
weird hearing the complaints about the light bar. then again people were going hard on the ds4's too. maybe if you guys tweet shu he can get a dim the lightbar update into firmware 5.0 ;)

i guess maybe its less distracting to me because its not centered on my tv stand and i'm not really paying attention to anything in the periphery of my tv. that and its not constantly pulsing like the bright leds on my cable modem (which i covered with tape)

ufo8mycat

Still not sure if I should trade in my PS4 and get a PRO for 200$, it's tempting but some games I currently play have issues on the pro.

I was someone who was on the fence also, especially since I still have a 1080p display. I never seen supersampling before, so wasn't sure how much of a difference it would make on a 1080p display. OMG the difference made my jaw drop.

I was playing Watch Dogs 2 on the OG PS4 before buying a Pro. In the OG version, there are a lot of jaggies & shimmering. Played it on Pro and the difference is insane. 95% of those jaggies are gone. Improvement to texture detail, draw distance and the IQ is just insane. It's so incredibly clean,
& sharp.

Huge difference compared to the OG.

The performance decreases has also been exaggerated. Outside of the 1st level of Deus Ex, games either play the same or run better.

Watch Dogs 2, Skyrim, TLOU, UC4 are games that apparently run worse on the Pro, yet I have had no issues whatsoever.

Don't forget there are games that will have multiple options, like 4K mode, High Graphics mode, High Performance mode.

Pro is definitely worth it if you can afford it.

So I guess HDMI bandwidth is the reason my TV is capable of 1080p RGB full and not 4K RGB, yes? Which is weird because my TV does have HDMI 2.0. I wonder if it's a firmware update Vizio can push to make it work (I doubt they would, though)

Audioboxer

Can someone with some TV know how maybe explain this?

I've ran my OG PS4 on RGB full since I got this TV I currently have as it supports RGB full. You can select auto, full or limited for each HDMI input on the TV settings. I had to turn on some other setting on the TV for the pro, enhanced HDMI output or something similar. Basically to allow a range of 4k signals. If I don't do this then the 4K options on the Pro are greyed out.

When I boot up Uncharted 4 it detects HDR mode and my TV switches to HDR. What I noticed though was UC4 suddenly looked a bit washed out, as does the PS4 home menu whilst HDR mode is enabled (if I push the PS button whilst UC4 is still running). So I went back to PS4 settings and put RGB to auto, and I changed my TV HDMI input to RGB auto. Now it still looks as contrast and colour rich in normal gaming, and when the TV switches to HDR with UC4 it doesn't look as washed out as it did, just a bit brighter, but I assume that is HDR mode at work.

Basically does an HDR source, maybe on a per game basis, opt to use different RGB settings and by me telling my PS4 Pro and TV to use full at all times it was mucking about with UC4? Either way I don't mind keeping settings on the PS4 Pro and TV on auto if it means it does the job selecting itself. I just want to know a bit more about the tech side to all these settings. Does my head in trying to calibrate a TV properly and now with HDR coming into the mix it adds another level of headache for me lol.

Previously I just went by the advice of if your TV supports RGB full and you're using a games console, go full, as gaming is often created on the 0-255 range. If you're watching movies or tv shows, limited can be better for the range of 16-235. Obviously if your TV doesn't support full, don't use full or you'll crush blacks.

My LED light is only undre the power button then it fades even before the disc drive ends lol

Same. You'll notice though when you put the PS4 Pro into standby the shutdown image on screen clearly illustrates how the led light isn't suppose to go all the way.

Gothos

Thinking about PS4 Pro and got (a bit weird) question. So, I would have to put the console in the cabinet behind 1cm wooden door. Anyone knows if it could block the Dualshock 4 wireless signal? :p

Got a question:
I want to get a PS4 especially with close to release of FF XV.
There is a deal for €279, the PS4 Slim with 1 TB and a 2nd controller.
Or would it better to buy the PS4 Pro immediately?
I got a 4K televison, but it doesn't have HDR.
I know that the PS4 Pro costs €399 here.
So what would be the best advice?

Got a question:
Pro.

leng jai

I am so impressed by Infinite Warfare on this thing, it's seriously nuts how it runs at 60fps pumping out some of the crazy shit that happens in that game. And this is coming from someone who plays on a high end PC most of the time.

So I guess HDMI bandwidth is the reason my TV is capable of 1080p RGB full and not 4K RGB, yes? Which is weird because my TV does have HDMI 2.0. I wonder if it's a firmware update Vizio can push to make it work (I doubt they would, though)
Is it a 4K TV? Do all of the HDMI ports on your TV support HDMI 2.0, or only some? Are you using the HDMI cable that came with your PS4? Do you have HDR enabled as well?

Audioboxer

Is it a 4K TV? Do all of the HDMI ports on your TV support HDMI 2.0, or only some? Are you using the HDMI cable that came with your PS4? Do you have HDR enabled as well?

Yeah Transistor double check that. As per my post a few pages ago you should see something like this if all 4K modes are supported

RGgtFWN.jpg

It is a 4K TV, it's a 2015 Vizio M70-C3. Only port 5 uses HDMI 2.0 and that's what I'm hooking up to. It's not an HDR TV, but I have it set to automatic anyways. I'm using a really good Premium HDMI cable from Monoprice, but I'll give the one that came with the pro a shot just to eliminate all factors.

There are other people in here having the same issue with the 2015 Vizio 4K line

Audioboxer

It is a 4K TV, it's a 2015 Vizio M70-C3. Only port 5 uses HDMI 2.0 and that's what I'm hooking up to. It's not an HDR TV, but I have it set to automatic anyways. I'm using a really good Premium HDMI cable from Monoprice, but I'll give the one that came with the pro a shot just to eliminate all factors.

There are other people in here having the same issue with the 2015 Vizio 4K line

Does that TV have a setting called something like "HDMI Signal Format" with the options "Standard/Enhanced"?

On my Bravia until I put the HDMI signal format to enhanced, 4K didn't work properly.

SETTINGS > EXTERNAL INPUTS > HDMI SIGNAL FORMAT > ENHANCED

Does that TV have a setting called something like "HDMI Signal Format" with the options "Standard/Enhanced"?

On my Bravia until I put the HDMI signal format to enhanced, 4K didn't work properly.

Nope, nothing of the sort. I think the 2016 HDR models have this, though. I think it might just be an issue with the pro not realizing it should accept it. I'll check my Xbox One S when I get home, but I'm 99% sure it puts out 4K RGB into HDMI 5

I have a 2015 Vizio M50. Using the cable that came with the PS4 Pro gave me the same results.

Upon my first boot, it defaulted to 4k RGB, and the TV input was not getting any signal. I had to boot into safe mode and manually change it to 4k YUV420

I have a 2015 Vizio M50. Using the cable that came with the PS4 Pro gave me the same results.

Upon my first boot, it defaulted to 4k RGB, and the TV input was not getting any signal. I had to boot into safe mode and manually change it to 4k YUV420

Are you plugged into HDMI 5?

Audioboxer

Nope, nothing of the sort. I think the 2016 HDR models have this, though. I think it might just be an issue with the pro not realizing it should accept it. I'll check my Xbox One S when I get home, but I'm 99% sure it puts out 4K RGB into HDMI 5

I'm not tech literate enough around TVs to know this, but maybe 4K RGB needs an HDR capable panel?

However in saying that, my TV, KD55X8509C actually got firmware updated by Sony to include HDR and have all HDMI ports be 2.0+ compatible. It is a 2015 model as well, and didn't start off with support. HDR on the set is low-end HDR, but it's still supporting it and one day once OLED is cheaper I will upgrade my TV again.

I'm assuming your TV is running on the latest firmware update? It may be that VIZIO just haven't bothered their asses to update a TV that could support it, but instead rather you buy a new TV.

I'm not tech literate enough around TVs to know this, but maybe 4K RGB needs an HDR capable panel?

However in saying that, my TV, KD55X8509C actually got firmware updated by Sony to include HDR and have all HDMI ports be 2.0+ compatible. It is a 2015 model as well.

I'm assuming your TV is running on the latest firmware update?

Yeah, it's on the latest firmware. And you wouldn't think 4K RGB would need an HDR panel since HDR uses YUV because of bandwidth limitations

Sh0k

One question, if I have a regular PS4 connected to a Yamaha 1080p receiver and to a Sony 1080p TV through HDMI, can I replace the PS4 with a PRO and keep the same configuration until I upgrade the TV to a 4K TV?

Got a question:

The only reason to not get a Pro is financial.

One question, if I have a regular PS4 connected to a Yamaha 1080p receiver and to a Sony 1080p TV through HDMI, can I replace the PS4 with a PRO and keep the same configuration until I upgrade the TV to a 4K TV?

Yes, absolutely. Now when you get a 4K TV, you're either gonna need a 4K receiver to use the 4K, or you'll need to plug directly to the TV and use ARC to the receiver (if it even supports ARC)

Audioboxer

Yeah, it's on the latest firmware. And you wouldn't think 4K RGB would need an HDR panel since HDR uses YUV because of bandwidth limitations

I went digging on AVSForums. My head always explodes trying to understand TV technical speak but here's some relevant posts

Yup, and we already know that the M's EDID for HDMI-HDMI doesn't allow for RGB or YCC 4:4:4/4:2:2 at 4K/60Hz. Anything up to 4K/30Hz is fine. From what I've read, the new PS4 Pro always outputs at 4K/60Hz, so your only option with the 2015 M is YUV420.

I really wish they would fix this once and for all, because with an active DisplayPort-HDMI adapter, our 2015 M is capable of RGB at 4K/60Hz.

YUV420 refers to the color space and chroma resolution being used. It has nothing to do with how many colors a display can show, and neither does the resolution increase from 1080 to 2160. See here for some more info on chroma subsampling: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...al-2015-vizio-4k-uhd-m-series-thread-502.html

Seems like it can't do 4k@60hz with RGB :( PS4 always runs at 60hz which is the issue that locks out RGB from being used on your set.

I went digging on AVSForums. My head always explodes trying to understand TV technical speak but here's some relevant posts

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...al-2015-vizio-4k-uhd-m-series-thread-502.html

Seems like it can't do 4k@60hz with RGB :( PS4 always runs at 60hz which is the issue that locks out RGB from being used on your set.

It's weird that it seems to work with DP-HDMI adapter, though.....

Maybe Vizio just needs to release a firmware with an updated EDID

Soi-Fong

Got the Samsung KS8000 4K TV in Frys Friday since they had a "store would pay tax" sorta thing for that day only.

Only thing is Illinois doesn't participate in that sorta thing so to keep my sale, they offered me two free games.

I chose Rise of the Tomb Raider and Watch Dogs 2 for my PS4 Pro. :D

ZOONAMI

Is it an m series? People have a ton of issues with the m series and even some with the p series.

Check out avs forum.

There are firmware updates it sounds like coming soon.

Some people have had success turning hdmi cec, which apparently frees some bandwith.

I think hdmi 5 is a 1.4 port as well, so maybe try hdmi 1?

Audioboxer

It's weird that it seems to work with DP-HDMI adapter, though.....

Maybe Vizio just needs to release a firmware with an updated EDID

Yeah it just seems like it's a potential fix/supportable via firmware, but Vizio haven't done it or don't care enough to support a 2015 set anymore.

Is it an m series? People have a ton of issues with the m series and even some with the p series.

Check out avs forum.

There are firmware updates it sounds like coming soon.

Some people have had success turning hdmi cec, which apparently frees some bandwith.

I think hdmi 5 is a 1.4 port as well, so maybe try hdmi 1?

HDMI 5 is HDCP 2.2. that's what the PS4 says at least.

thatJohann

After having had the beautiful Xbox One S, and switching it up for the PS4 Pro, I can't get over how ugly the Pro is. I mean it's literally ugly. And it doesn't fit on my tv stand. Eye sore bulging out!

dxDUjuh.jpg

Audioboxer

After having had the beautiful Xbox One S, and switching it up for the PS4 Pro, I can't get over how ugly the Pro is. I mean it's literally ugly. And it doesn't fit on my tv stand. Eye sore bulging out!

Yeah, it's pretty weak. I mean it's not original PS3 spiderman font garbage, but it's an unusual design (triple stack) and the led is just the height of WTF design. As I said it's as if they just ripped it off the original PS4 and slapped it wherever they could without caring that a left to right design doesn't work like a front to back.

The led at least should just have been relegated to something like the PS3 slim which had small circular LEDs above the power/eject buttons. Or my suggestion, make the logo on top light up.

I seriously do not understand how high paid designers work for some of these behemoth companies and come up with complete garbage at times, which then gets signed off. Sure cooling and ventilation is key, and Sony do usually do well to fit everything into the one box (no external power supply). That can be done though without such a meh exterior.

Watch the PS4 Pro slim be something a bit better. It's pretty crappy though that the more powerful and more expensive PS4 looks the worst. I get low pricing and the innards are what counts, but Cerny and pals should be ridiculed for coming up with this design and thinking it's "good". Dumb ass design Sony certainly made a return. As did arrogant Sony with no UHD BR playback ~ Even although I said it doesn't bother me and means little to gaming, it's such a minor thing to do that would hardly impact on their costs. PS4 owners don't give a shit about buying expensive standalone 4K BR players Sony. Tell your Movie division if they forced this on the PS team they're a bunch of idiots, much like they were trying that Spiderman font to get their hands on the PS3. Sony Movie studios are a bunch of hacks, keep them away please Kaz.

kvn

dxDUjuh.jpg

That looks like a pretty standard IKEA model? Just buy a new one.
jk ;)

Anyone have their Pro hooked up to a 4K monitor that only supports 60hz with DisplayPort? There is a certain monitor I really want, but idk what type of adapater/cable I would need to get that works perfectly with the Pro.

Anyone have their Pro hooked up to a 4K monitor that only supports 60hz with DisplayPort? There is a certain monitor I really want, but idk what type of adapater/cable I would need to get that works perfectly with the Pro.

You can't just get an HDMI -> DisplayPort cable like you can a DisplayPort -> HDMI cable. You would need an active converter for that to work, and I believe those can add latency

While DisplayPort outputs are compatible with HDMI and DisplayPort inputs, DisplayPort inputs are only compatible with DisplayPort outputs, if that makes sense.

RedAssedApe

Banned

dxDUjuh.jpg

Ok...the looks are subjective but I mean you knew what it looked like before buying it and the dimensions are available. :p

You can't just get an HDMI -> DisplayPort cable like you can a DisplayPort -> HDMI cable. You would need an active converter for that to work, and I believe those can add latency

While DisplayPort outputs are compatible with HDMI and DisplayPort inputs, DisplayPort inputs are only compatible with DisplayPort outputs, if that makes sense.

Ah, okay. Thanks! I'll just have to look for a monitor that supports HDMI 2.0 @ 60hz then!

BigEmil

dxDUjuh.jpg
Is it safe to point those vents towards near the power socket

Top Bottom