• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Audioboxer

Vizio has responded saying that this is a fault on Sony's part that needs to be fixed in the firmware

Fair enough, maybe it is. As I said above though people on AVSForums questioning the sets ability to do 4K @ 60hz on RGB over HDMI?

Hopefully if it is Sony they fix it.

Fair enough, maybe it is. As I said above though people on AVSForums questioning the sets ability to do 4K @ 60hz on RGB over HDMI?

Hopefully if it is Sony they fix it.

I spoke to Vizio over the phone. They are aware of the issue and say that the the Pro detects RGB correctly but it's not outputting the signal correctly

thatJohann

That looks like a pretty standard IKEA model? Just buy a new one.
jk ;)

Haha well the Xbox One S fit like a glove. Looked stunning on it!

Here's a pic for reference:
wQ3yJJF.jpg

d9b

Banned
After having had the beautiful Xbox One S, and switching it up for the PS4 Pro, I can't get over how ugly the Pro is. I mean it's literally ugly. And it doesn't fit on my tv stand. Eye sore bulging out!

dxDUjuh.jpg
Doesn't fit on his tv stand. Arrogant Sony is back!

Audioboxer

Yeah apart from the slightly meh poked holes on the One S, it is much nicer than the PS4 Pro. The light up XB1 logo is what Sony should have done on top of the Pro. Not this shit-tastic fading LED strip.

After having had the beautiful Xbox One S, and switching it up for the PS4 Pro, I can't get over how ugly the Pro is. I mean it's literally ugly. And it doesn't fit on my tv stand. Eye sore bulging out!

dxDUjuh.jpg
I'm curious as to why you didn't measure your TV stand first. It's a pretty tiny stand, and the PS4 Pro measurements are readily available. Was it an impulse buy in a store?

I actually quite like the look of the Pro, I think it looks nicer on a stand than the OG PS4 does.

thatJohann

Doesn't fit front-up on my TV stand either :(

I have to place it sideways, which looks a bit odd and makes the power cable visible :(

Maybe I'll get a new tv stand. Bummer cause I love how slim this tv stand is.

Btw does anyone know if airflow is better on ps4 Pro when the console is vertical or horizontal?

thatJohann

I'm curious as to why you didn't measure your TV stand first. It's a pretty tiny stand, and the PS4 Pro measurements are readily available. Was it an impulse buy in a store?

I actually quite like the look of the Pro, I think it looks nicer on a stand than the OG PS4 does.

It was an impulse buy at Best Buy. And I never expected it to be so huge haha. I've never had to measure consoles before

Maybe I'll get a new tv stand. Bummer cause I love how slim this tv stand is.

Btw does anyone know if airflow is better on ps4 Pro when the console is vertical or horizontal?
Can you remove the shelf? If you did that you could probably run the Pro on a stand sideways. With the mirror finish PS logo facing out it doesn't look too bad, and the angle on the back of the unit hides the cables a little bit.

Don't forget to use a tape measure first though, and bear in mind that the official stand raises the console slightly (and looks quite nice too).

So I have been thinking about buying a PlayStation 4 and was wondering if you guys could help me with the decision?

Currently, I am leaning towards getting a used PS4 from eBay. Here in Canada, I frequently see them selling for between $200-$230 before shipping and handling. I was initially considering the PS4 Pro, but as I already have a powerful PC I don't intend to use the PS4 for multiplatform games. Though the PS4 Pro does offer enhanced image quality, the price gulf between a used system and that of a new PS4 seems too large to justify.

Is anyone here who owns a PS4 willing to chime in on my situation? As it stands, I am leaning heavily in favour of a used base PS4, but any insight would be appreciated.

dxDUjuh.jpg

Funny how everyone has a different opinion on style... I love the pro design. While the Xbox one s is good looking I also find it super generic.

thenexus6

I think out of the Xbox One, S, PS4, PS4 Slim the Pro is easily the ugliest of the bunch.

This could be a dumb question but if I have a 1080p set that only supports HDCP 1.4, I'm not going to lose any games running at 4K and downscaling to 1080p will I? Just minorly concerned I may have made a mistake ha

Audioboxer

This could be a dumb question but if I have a 1080p set that only supports HDCP 1.4, I'm not going to lose any games running at 4K and downscaling to 1080p will I? Just minorly concerned I may have made a mistake ha

What do you mean by lose? Anything without a pro patch will play just as it does on an OG PS4.

With a pro patch a 1080p set will either get some downsampling or maybe a better FPS. Nothing will be unplayable.

Lady Gaia

Not a problem. HDCP 2.2 is only required for 4K media output (NetFlix et al) so with a 1080p display it's not necessary st all. Game developers can make their own choices about what to output to a 1080p display to make sure you get the best experience, so some games have a specially tuned 1080p mode that the developer determined looked best (4xMSAA @ 1080p in The Witness' case), while most games just give you whatever options they offer on 4K displays and downsample.

You'll be fine.

Joei

Anyone know if that target 10% off electronics + 10% wishlist stacks today?

EDIT: in the offer details it says

Looks to be online only as well?

To add to this, do these deals stack with the Red Card 5%? And if so, are both discounts taken off the base price or does one go first, then the other % after that first reduction?

atomsk

Party Pooper
Launched a game this morning and my Pro shut itself down.

When it came back on, error CE-36329-3

Three years of heavy PS4 use and I've never had that happen.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Anyone know if that target 10% off electronics + 10% wishlist stacks today?

EDIT: in the offer details it says

Looks to be online only as well?

To add to this, do these deals stack with the Red Card 5%? And if so, are both discounts taken off the base price or does one go first, then the other % after that first reduction?

TECH coupon and Wishlist coupon do not stack unfortunately.
Red Card always stacks and is the final discount taken.

Afrikan

So I have been thinking about buying a PlayStation 4 and was wondering if you guys could help me with the decision?

Currently, I am leaning towards getting a used PS4 from eBay. Here in Canada, I frequently see them selling for between $200-$230 before shipping and handling. I was initially considering the PS4 Pro, but as I already have a powerful PC I don't intend to use the PS4 for multiplatform games. Though the PS4 Pro does offer enhanced image quality, the price gulf between a used system and that of a new PS4 seems too large to justify.

Is anyone here who owns a PS4 willing to chime in on my situation? As it stands, I am leaning heavily in favour of a used base PS4, but any insight would be appreciated.

imo...

first, no need to get a used PS4 at those prices. Is there nothing similar to Black Friday deals in Canada? No retailer there tries to copy the US?

as far as the PRO or not. You didn't go cheap on you PC, so if you can...don't go cheap on your PlayStation. You're going from clean image quality from your PC to (worse case scenario) clean image quality to your future Console exclusive games because of down sampling from 4K. And if you have a 4k TV or monitor...even better image quality.

Shin-Ra

I am so impressed by Infinite Warfare on this thing, it's seriously nuts how it runs at 60fps pumping out some of the crazy shit that happens in that game. And this is coming from someone who plays on a high end PC most of the time.
They didn't have to skimp on anisotropic filtering either.

wQ3yJJF.jpg
Now that's an ugly console!

Joei

TECH coupon and Wishlist coupon do not stack unfortunately.
Red Card always stacks and is the final discount taken.

Thanks... now the big decision... I wasn't planning on getting a Pro, but at 342 + tax, that might be too hard to pass up. I doubt if I'll come across that price again any time soon. I guess I could sell my current PS4 for like 200. I hope it's worth it...

and I just got a KS8000 55", haven't had time to set it up though, still in the box at home. Convincing my wife that I'm gonna spend 350$ after dropping 600$ cash for the tv (I had a bunch of Best Buy Reward $ and gift cards that applied)... ugh....

Mikey Jr.

Ok, about to do a trade. I don't care about transferring games, blah blah. I'll just redownload what I need.

Just a few questions.

Im using a 1tb hybrid drive. I want to keep using this. Can I just take it out and slap it into the pro? Will it work, or will it ask me to reformat or whatever?

Ok, about to do a trade. I don't care about transferring games, blah blah. I'll just redownload what I need.

Just a few questions.

Im using a 1tb hybrid drive. I want to keep using this. Can I just take it out and slap it into the pro? Will it work, or will it ask me to reformat or whatever?

It will reformat it for you when you install it.

HOWEVER!!!!

You'll need the FULL update on a USB drive. Get it from here:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

Scroll down until you see "Perform new installation" and hit the download now button right below it. That's the file you need.

Cyborg

dxDUjuh.jpg

Its suits your stand, it needs ugly things to make its self pretier!

Naar

I just got my pro and did a system transfer so all my settings, etc are the same as before but I noticed that the pro is no longer automatically recording gameplay anymore! It will only record manually, but it will no longer automatically record the last 15 minutes.

Anyone know why?

Audioboxer

I just got my pro and did a system transfer so all my settings, etc are the same as before but I noticed that the pro is no longer automatically recording gameplay anymore! It will only record manually, but it will no longer automatically record the last 15 minutes.

Anyone know why?

Isn't it a setting you need to turn on? I'm not at my PS4 pro just now. Also make sure you made your Pro the primary PS4 console, although I don't think that has anything to do with recordings.

Tubie

dxDUjuh.jpg

I've started to really like the look as time went by.

And I thought it was ugly the first time I saw it.

Naar

Isn't it a setting you need to turn on? I'm not at my PS4 pro just now. Also make sure you made your Pro the primary PS4 console, although I don't think that has anything to do with recordings.

What setting? I don't need to turn anything on as I did a system transfer so my settings should be exactly the same.

Also when I did system transfer it asked me if I wanted to deactivate my old PS4 and activate the new one and I pressed OK

Audioboxer

What setting? I don't need to turn anything on as I did a system transfer so my settings should be exactly the same.

Also when I did system transfer it asked me if I wanted to deactivate my old PS4 and activate the new one and I pressed OK

Ah okay yeah I forgot the ethernet to ethernet option did that for you. I had to backup to an external hard drive and manually restore.

As for settings I'm not sure I'm just trying to guess why it wouldn't be working. The Pro can record in 1080p IIRC, or it at least has more recording options than the original PS4. So I'm wondering if that means it's turned off by default till you configure it. If no one else has answered you be the time I next get mine turned on I'll check and see if mines records okay.

Naar

Ah okay yeah I forgot the ethernet to ethernet option did that for you. I had to backup to an external hard drive and manually restore.

As for settings I'm not sure I'm just trying to guess why it wouldn't be working. The Pro can record in 1080p IIRC, or it at least has more recording options than the original PS4. So I'm wondering if that means it's turned off by default till you configure it. If no one else has answered you be the time I next get mine turned on I'll check and see if mines records okay.

Well it seems to work now....don't know why....

But now my cable extension doesn't work for my headset. It used to work fine on my old PS4 but not pro. I bought a new extension cable just now and still my voice comes out with some static and not clear.

When I plug in my headset directly it works flawlessly. I need the extension because the headset cable is quite short :\

GazzaGSi

Decided to hook my PS TV back up in another room thinking it would have the update to 1080p for remote play. Mainly to play games that haven't had a Pro patch on my non 4k tele.
I new the Vita wouldn't get a resolution bump due to it's screen limitations which is understandable but I thought PS TV would be the same llike the PC, Tablet & Phone apps where the resolution for remote play is now 1080p but it isn't, still 720p :(
Frustrating as any screen can be connected to the PS TV so 1080p should be supported IMO.

Audioboxer

Decided to hook my PS TV back up in another room thinking it would have the update to 1080p for remote play. Mainly to play games that haven't had a Pro patch on my non 4k tele.
I new the Vita wouldn't get a resolution bump due to it's screen limitations which is understandable but I thought PS TV would be the same llike the PC, Tablet & Phone apps where the resolution for remote play is now 1080p but it hasn't :(
Frustrating as any screen can be connected to the PS TV so 1080p should be supported IMO.

It's just a gutted Vita :( In saying that Sony had a chance at something great with the Vita TV and totally mismanaged it, and send it to its death. Now it's also hampered by an absolutely ridiculous whitelist system that homebrew proves is a piece of shit and doesn't need to be as stringent as it is.

People say Sony failed the Vita but the Vita TV is the example of Sony being Sony and making an utter mess of something. You couldn't fail any harder than this if you tried.

GazzaGSi

It's just a gutted Vita :( In saying that Sony had a chance at something great with the Vita TV and totally mismanaged it, and send it to its death. Now it's also hampered by an absolutely ridiculous whitelist system that homebrew proves is a piece of shit and doesn't need to be as stringent as it is.

People say Sony failed the Vita but the Vita TV is the example of Sony being Sony and making an utter mess of something. You couldn't fail any harder than this if you tried.

I new I shouldn't have tried it being disappointed with it since day 1 and Sony don't even dare mention the V word anymore :( just thought it was worth a shot knowing the reasoning for the Vita not getting a resolution bump I thought it would make sense the PSTV would. Will stick to my tablet for remote play needs :)

Top Bottom