• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Yeah apart from the slightly meh poked holes on the One S, it is much nicer than the PS4 Pro. The light up XB1 logo is what Sony should have done on top of the Pro. Not this shit-tastic fading LED strip.
So with the strip on the front. If you have the Pro turned off (standby) the whole front is lit up by an orange light? Which is then white or blue when you turn it on? For there to be no light do you need to turn it off at the wall?

Ferr986

So with the strip on the front. If you have the Pro turned off (standby) the whole front is lit up by an orange light? Which is then white or blue when you turn it on? For there to be no light do you need to turn it off at the wall?

Orange is rest mode. For no light you need to turn it off. White is standard color. Blue is only when the console is starting up.

Audioboxer

Thanks. Not sure what Sony are thinking with that design. Sounds pretty in your face for something that's turned off - is it annoying in a dark room?

A bit yeah. I mean the original PS4 has it, but with the strip going front to back it's not as noticeable. The way it's just been almost glued onto the bottom of the pro is one heck of a lazy design. It looks stupid fading out as well. Again the fade kind of works going front to back, but not left to right. Makes it look like you have a dodgy uneven LED.

Terrible design choice. Take a lashing Mr Cerny for being high whilst overseeing this design. I thank you for a decent spec bump, but not the packaging. It's not launch PS3 terrible, but it is almost there.

For some reason PS4 Pro is showing up as $360 at Amazon for me right now.

bSCXGeA.png

Naar

Anyone know why the extension USB cable I have for my headset is making static sounds when I talk on my headset? I had no issues with the extension cable on my old PS4 but having problems on my pro.

When I plug the headset directly to the pro it will fine, but if I use the extension cable it makes static noises when I talk. I even bought a new extension cable and same issue is happening and even tried various USB ports on the pro with same results.

The cable that comes with the headset is short and I want to be able to sit comfortably when I play online games :\

//DEVIL//

I need to confirm something based on my observations only.

Yesterday my local store was selling an opened PS4 Pro ( someone it seems got it as a gift and he played it and decided to sell it )

anyway so I borrowed the system. and hooked them up both at the same time. did game transfer and played COD MWR on both my accounts ( I have 2 accounts ).

I made sure both IDs on the same team and started playing on both IDs. I noticed that the one I got from the store actually IS louder. I mean, both fans kick into higher gear during match making. but the one from the store fan it self is actually louder than the one I have. not by much, but you can actually both hear them.

I didn't open any of the systems ( even the top cover as its wasn't mine to confirm if they share the same numbers of blade or same fan type. ) but both of them are recently new systems, I highly doubt its related to dust.

Also, if some people have a fan noise this level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrSMGWGqhyw

then please return it that's not normal lol

Mikey Jr.

So quick question.

Has there been any tests on the ds4 for Bluetooth vs USB cable communication?

I don't play fighting games, so will I notice a difference with wired?

Audioboxer

I need to confirm something based on my observations only.

Yesterday my local store was selling an opened PS4 Pro ( someone it seems got it as a gift and he played it and decided to sell it )

anyway so I borrowed the system. and hooked them up both at the same time. did game transfer and played COD MW2 on both my accounts ( I have 2 accounts ).

I made sure both IDs on the same team and started playing on both IDs. I noticed that the one I got from the store actually IS louder. I mean, both fans kick into higher gear during match making. but the one from the store fan it self is actually louder than the one I have. not by much, but you can actually both hear them.

I didn't open any of the systems ( even the top cover as its wasn't mine to confirm if they share the same numbers of blade or same fan type. ) but both of them are recently new systems, I highly doubt its related to dust.

Also, if some people have a fan noise this level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrSMGWGqhyw

then please return it that's not normal lol

There will be minor differences in units. Could even be a different brand fan. Sometimes Sony use more than one fan type, and in the past this has led to more or less fan blades and some being noisier.

Plus better or worse application of thermal paste can be the difference in a few degrees which can kick fans up a notch when warm.

Dust can make a difference but yeah it normally takes quite a while and a decent build up of dust or grime to really cause an issue. Not a unit a few weeks old.

Audioboxer

b5IDpGp.gif

PS4 Pro problem (the hair) or did it look like that on OG PS4 as well? Because that looks like shit.

Dithering problems with hair are normally pretty widespread. In saying that it's possible the pro patch made it worse. Pro patches seem to be breaking shit in most games right now...

Had them add the extra 10% off to my order from last weekend and final price was $320 shipped. Guess I'll be keeping it after all. Doubt it will be that low for a while.

So with the strip on the front. If you have the Pro turned off (standby) the whole front is lit up by an orange light? Which is then white or blue when you turn it on?
Yes. Orange in rest mode, blue when starting up, white when running, nothing when turned off.

For there to be no light do you need to turn it off at the wall?
No. From the Power options in the Pro's UI, select Turn Off PS4 rather than Enter Rest Mode. You don't need to do anything at the wall.

Elfstruck

Dithering problems with hair are normally pretty widespread. In saying that it's possible the pro patch made it worse. Pro patches seem to be breaking shit in most games right now...
This is how false information spreads. These pro patches might cause poor performance on the Pro, mainly because devs just rush it out. But, there is only one or two Pro patches that broke the game.

Ok guys, I know this might be the dumbest question but still, tomorrow I will buy a PS4 Pro and I need someone to help me:
When I log in with my account in a new console, will all my (digital) games still be registered on my account and will I be able to redownload all of them instantly?

Robot Pants

Ok guys, I know this might be the dumbest question but still, tomorrow I will buy a PS4 Pro and I need someone to help me:
When I log in with my account in a new console, will all my (digital) games still be registered on my account and will I be able to redownload all of them instantly?
Yep

Anyone know if the prime app has HDR yet on pro?

Watching Grand Tour which apparently was in hdr but the tv isn't saying it's getting HDR

Sh0k

Just got a PS4 PRO, what's the best way to test the PS4 PRO on my 1080p TV before de-activating my original PS4? I'm planning on switching the 1TB HD with the 2TB HD I have in my original PS4 if I decide to keep it, but first I want to see if it is that much of a difference on my TV. Should I set up the PS4 PRO with my PSN account and test for example Rise of the Tomb Raider downloading my save file from the cloud?

Stoffinator

Anyone know why the extension USB cable I have for my headset is making static sounds when I talk on my headset? I had no issues with the extension cable on my old PS4 but having problems on my pro.

When I plug the headset directly to the pro it will fine, but if I use the extension cable it makes static noises when I talk. I even bought a new extension cable and same issue is happening and even tried various USB ports on the pro with same results.

The cable that comes with the headset is short and I want to be able to sit comfortably when I play online games :\

My headset doesn't work the same way with the pro either. If I have audio set to all, I get game audio and chat audio through the headset only. Which is what I want. But I can only hear the game audio when someone talks through the mic (me or someone else in the party). Never use to be like this on the OG PS4. Don't know what setting to change. Tried every possible setting.

b5IDpGp.gif

PS4 Pro problem (the hair) or did it look like that on OG PS4 as well? Because that looks like shit.

It went from ps4 (dogshit) to ps4 pro (garbage). The dithering is much worse on original ps4 don't worry. It's crazy they did not fix that on the pro but it's still one of the best looking console games ever. If you turn the motion blur to 0-2 it might help btw.

Naar

My headset doesn't work the same way with the pro either. If I have audio set to all, I get game audio and chat audio through the headset only. Which is what I want. But I can only hear the game audio when someone talks through the mic (me or someone else in the party). Never use to be like this on the OG PS4. Don't know what setting to change. Tried every possible setting.

My issue is that my voice is not clear to the other party. I even went to settings to hear my voice and it was filled with a lot of static. I can hear everything just fine, it's just the headset mic causing me problems

Stoffinator

My issue is that my voice is not clear to the other party. I even went to settings to hear my voice and it was filled with a lot of static. I can hear everything just fine, it's just the headset mic causing me problems

Might sound weird, but did you make sure your mic is plugged fully in? I had this issue with my Turtlebeach headset. Found out it wasn't pushed all the way in on the headset itself.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just got a PS4 PRO, what's the best way to test the PS4 PRO on my 1080p TV before de-activating my original PS4? I'm planning on switching the 1TB HD with the 2TB HD I have in my original PS4 if I decide to keep it, but first I want to see if it is that much of a difference on my TV. Should I set up the PS4 PRO with my PSN account and test for example Rise of the Tomb Raider downloading my save file from the cloud?

assuming you have a digital game that has a pro mode. connect both to your tv. login to your pro using your psn account. launch the game on both. switch hdmi inputs and compare og to pro.

Naar

Might sound weird, but did you make sure your mic is plugged fully in? I had this issue with my Turtlebeach headset. Found out it wasn't pushed all the way in on the headset itself.

read my initial post :p I said that the issue only happens when I use the cable extension. When I plug the headset in directly there is no problem. I tried multiple USB extensions and they all have the same problem and I didnt have this problem on my old PS4 :\

Mikey Jr.

Ok, so I've been playing Rise of the Tomb Raider. Here is my opinion of the graphics.

1. I don't use 60fps mode. It looks weird and unnatural. Like everything is going 1.5x speed or something.

2. Enriched mode. Is this what the game looked like essentially on the PS4? I know it has some increased foliage and stuff like that. It was good. But...

3. 4k mode. Ok, I have a 1080p tv. I gotta say, between enriched mode and 4k mode, this is the best way to play. Everything looks so clean and crisp. I can see individual branches on trees far away.

As for the system, this thing is whisper quiet. Like SILENT. I had to put my ear up to the thing to even hear it.
Having said that, the heat output is crazy. I left my controller on top for 10 minutes and the thing was really really warm.
PS4 Pro is going to heat my room in the winter.

topplehat

Kind of surprised. I have a 4K TV and was looking forward to choosing all the "4k mode" options in games, but I don't really notice a difference and am actually preferring the "performance" modes that favor 60fps.

PrankT

I have a Denon 1611 receiver (no hdcp 2.2) and Panasonic 65st30 (plasma 1080p). Wasn't planning on upgrading to 4k receiver/tv. Should I anticipate any connection issues?

Edit: nevermind, I'm just sticking with the regular ps4 until I decide to upgrade everything.

Wagram

Alright. I want to keep my OG PS4 for the rare situation that the Pro runs worse than the OG system. How do I have my PSN account tied to both systems? I know there's some work around.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Alright. I want to keep my OG PS4 for the rare situation that the Pro runs worse than the OG system. How do I have my PSN account tied to both systems? I know there's some work around.

you can only set one as the primary. the other one you would need to login to psn to access any digital games

Gaf, quick question. I'm thinking about trading in my og PS4 for a Pro. If I do the 'restore default settings' would that be enough to cover my ass? Because there is another option that says 'Initialize' but doing a full init. Takes several hours, according to the full option message. Would the later be a better option? I just don't want to be vulnerable to some random person accesing any of my private info. Thanks!P

ramyeon

Gaf, quick question. I'm thinking about trading in my og PS4 for a Pro. If I do the 'restore default settings' would that be enough to cover my ass? Because there is another option that says 'Initialize' but doing a full init. Takes several hours, according to the full option message. Would the later be a better option? I just don't want to be vulnerable to some random person accesing any of my private info. Thanks!P
Do the full wipe/initialize. Only took about an hour for me with a nearly full 500GB.

Haines

Banned

That seems pretty extreme.

Would you even notice those 3 frames in that one environment if DF didn't tell you?

Unless I'm mistaken and this is a much bigger issue than I know of.

SlickVic

To think I was all ready to finally start playing Doom on the PS4 this weekend. Then I got a Pro thanks to the Target deal and now I feel obligated to wait for a Pro patch. By all likelihood it isn't happening as Bethesda/id have had plenty of time to announce one (unless they knew it wouldn't be ready by the time the Pro launched and thus waited to announce it), but I feel it behooves me to wait until they at least make an official comment. It wouldn't shock me if it never happens, but nonetheless would be disappointing. It seems like a game that could put that extra Pro horsepower to good use.

Think I may check out Dishonored 2, which I've heard precious little about regarding Pro enhancements. Surprisingly Digital Foundry hasn't done their comparison piece on it yet. Wonder if they're waiting for the PC patch to fix performance on that platform before they do a deep dive into all the versions.

Top Bottom