• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

SlickVic

Hopped on the amazon deal and was wondering if both ps4's need to be connected to a TV to do the data transfer?

No only the receiving system does (Pro in this case). All the instructions for what to do with the other system will appear on the TV connected to the Pro. I just connected both systems wired to the router; took about 80-90 minutes to transfer a nearly full hard drive.

mileS

Hopped on the amazon deal and was wondering if both ps4's need to be connected to a TV to do the data transfer?
I had my first ps4 plugged in by hdmi just to get past the login screen. After that you just need a lan cable between them. After that the transfer will be handled on the pro. It even shuts your first one off after the transfer.

Planet

2. Enriched mode. Is this what the game looked like essentially on the PS4?
Err... why do you think it is called "enriched" then? The Base version looks like the high frame rate mode, minus the high frame rate. This has more details (at the same resolution) like denser foliage, better shadows, better ambient occlusion, better AF and so on.

But I agree with you that the 4K mode downsampled does a better job at giving you better image quality. In fact, it is pretty much consensus.

ufo8mycat

That seems pretty extreme.

Would you even notice those 3 frames in that one environment if DF didn't tell you?

Unless I'm mistaken and this is a much bigger issue than I know of.

This is why I laugh at DF with their frame counter. Oh no, Watch Dogs 2 on the Pro dropped 2-3 frames.

Real world performance is a totally different thing. I have had ZERO issues with the frame rate on the Pro version of Watch Dogs 2 for example.

Planet

Why laugh at DF? When a game only drops a few frames here and there, they call it an almost locked framerate and usually applaud it. They are doing an excellent job and giving you the raw information, it is up to you to decide what to do with it.

I like to be in the know, and I do notice even a few dropped frames, but that doesn't mean I consider games like e.g. Fallout 4 unplayable. Thanks for the research, DF!

CLEEK

Alright. I want to keep my OG PS4 for the rare situation that the Pro runs worse than the OG system. How do I have my PSN account tied to both systems? I know there's some work around.

No work around needed. You can have your PSN accounts on a bunch of PS4s.

Only one PS4 can be 'activated' for an account. This had the benefit of allowing offline play for digital games, as well as sharing games and DLC between all the accounts on that PS4.

If you only have one PSN account then everything is fine. Just sign in on both and choose your most used console to be activated.

eastx

If you have 2 PlayStation 4s, can other people play your games on the non-primary console by signing you in on it and then switching to your profile (as is possible on Xbox 360 and One)?

Can't find anything on it but any chance the Nathan Drake Collection gets a pro patch? HDR and increased resolution/performance on those games would be sweeeeet.

Da_Bears

Neo Member
If you have 2 PlayStation 4s, can other people play your games on the non-primary console by signing you in on it and then switching to your profile (as is possible on Xbox 360 and One)?

Yes, but if you are signed in on your primary, it signs you out.
If you make the non primary console your primary, the people who sign in on it using their own account, can play your games. You can then sign in on your console, which is now the non primiary one, and still play your games as it will recognize you and allow you to access all your things.

Does anyone have confirmed information on the power cable, can i use a "normal" 3 pronged PC cable instead of the 2 pronged that came with it.

Regarding moving the console around, would be easier to know if i need to bring the cable too.

Does anyone have confirmed information on the power cable, can i use a "normal" 3 pronged PC cable instead of the 2 pronged that came with it.

Regarding moving the console around, would be easier to know if i need to bring the cable too.

I'm using a normal 3 pronged PC cable on my Pro just make sure the fuses are the same, a lot of PC cables are 10 amp and the Pro has a 5 amp fuse.

I'm using a normal 3 pronged PC cable on my Pro just make sure the fuses are the same, a lot of PC cables are 10 amp and the Pro has a 5 amp fuse.

Huh, didn't even know they had differences, thought they were just dumb cables like the normal PS4 cable :D gotta look into some numbers. Thanks!

Neolith

alright, I finally cracked and got a Pro thanks to the Target exploit from yesterday. What are the must have games showcasing the power of this thing at the moment?

Mikey Jr.

alright, I finally cracked and got a Pro thanks to the Target exploit from yesterday. What are the must have games showcasing the power of this thing at the moment?

Tomb raider seems pretty great. 60fps or 4k mode which when down sampled looks crisp.

Apologies if there's an obvious answer to this, but do I need the latest firmware on a memory stick once I've transferred my 2TB OG PS4 hard drive into the Pro when booting up the first time?

BillyJack

Banned
My brother just ordered his Pro but wants to sell his current system before it gets here. Is there anyway he can backup his current PS4 to a hard drive and restore from that to the Pro or is it smarter for him to just wait for the Pro and connect the ethernet cable up between the two?

My brother just ordered his Pro but wants to sell his current system before it gets here. Is there anyway he can backup his current PS4 to a hard drive and restore from that to the Pro or is it smarter for him to just wait for the Pro and connect the ethernet cable up between the two?

You can definitely back up to an external hard drive and restore that to a Pro.
And he has to make sure to deactivate his current PS4 as the primary system before selling it off.

BillyJack

Banned
OléGunner;225195216 said:
You can definitely back up to an external hard drive and restore that to a Pro.
And he has to make sure to deactivate his current PS4 as the primary system before selling it off.

Oh yeah definitely.
Thanks so much.

Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Uncharted 4, Hitman, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous SS and FL, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Bound, etc.

Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Uncharted 4, Hitman, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous SS and FL, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Bound, etc.

Don't forget Infinite Warfare!

The campaign is great and it looks amazing. Maybe the best Pro game so far.

Also, Dishonored 2 looks super clean and has beautiful art direction.

SilentFlyer

For 1080p TVs, would the performance and visuals be noticeable? Genuine question.

OléGunner;225194718 said:
Apologies if there's an obvious answer to this, but do I need the latest firmware on a memory stick once I've transferred my 2TB OG PS4 hard drive into the Pro when booting up the first time?

Yes. You need latest firmware on usb stick so that it installs when you first boot your PS4 Pro. The latest firmware is around 850MB. So make sure you download that and not the update file.

I need some advice GAF. I'm buying the pro today and will be giving the old system to a relative. I'm downloading a few things from my ps+ which he will like and I want to leave them on there for him.

The system is activated as primary as far as I'm aware. What process should I follow so that he can play them? I figured don't do the actual data transfer and don't activate the pro as primary for now? That way he can make an account and play the games on there right?

If I were activate my pro as primary that will kill that? I'm hoping to leave it active long enough for him to beat REmake.

Luck

Does anyone have problems with YouTube app?

I watch YT a lot on my PS4, and when I switched to the Pro it started to make console firmware very slow during app switching. After watching YT videos for a while when I press PS Button to see system menus it instantly slowdowns the entire console interface to the literally few FPS for a dozen of seconds and often makes YT app crash completely instead move it to the background.

I suspect that it might be caused that ‘Pro feature’ that moves app from DDR5 to the slower DDR3 memory. I have never had that problem on my standard PS4.

Can anyone confirm?

Experien

Ordered PS4 yesterday, backed up my HDD all night last night.

Next steps should be:

1. Deactivate OG PS4
  2. Swap out Hybrid HDD when PS4 Pro arrives
  3. DL/Install the latest Firmware via internet
  4. Restore HDD to PS4 Pro
  5. Sell OG PS4
  6. Game

Anything I am missing?

Don't forget Infinite Warfare!

The campaign is great and it looks amazing. Maybe the best Pro game so far.

Also, Dishonored 2 looks super clean and has beautiful art direction.

Yeah Infinite Warfare campaign looks amazing on the Pro. As for Dishonoured 2, even though I own the game, I can't recommend it in its current state.

For 1080p TVs, would the performance and visuals be noticeable? Genuine question.

Yep. I own a 1080p TV and the leap in image quality on BF1, Call of duty and other Pro enhanced games is nothing short of striking.

Barzul

So my girlfriend just gave me money to get a PS4 Pro. This would be my first Playstation since the PS2 days. But where's the best place to buy one? With the Black Friday sales approaching, want to get the best possible deal.

gookie_grisp

Neo Member
How well is the heat dealt with in the PS4pro? Also does it run Uncharted 4 at 60fps and maybe Bloodborne at least at 30fps? If not, what's the point in buying this?

Ordered PS4 yesterday, backed up my HDD all night last night.

So you are going to take out the SSHD from your current system and put it in the Pro?

1. Backup to external
2. Copy 4.06 full firmware to an exFAT USB stick (or the external, if you want to use 1 less device) into the specific folder requested
3. Deactivate OG PS4, optionally I guess wipe the PS4 (wouldn't hurt, it's a quick process)
4. Transfer the SSHD into the Pro
5. Turn on the Pro with a USB device attached that has the firmware
6. Once the PS4 Pro turns on "for real" you can use the system menu to restore the backup. This should include your profile so after that you're ready to go.

Experien

So you are going to take out the SSHD from your current system and put it in the Pro?

1. Backup to external
2. Copy 4.06 full firmware to an exFAT USB stick (or the external, if you want to use 1 less device) into the specific folder requested
3. Deactivate OG PS4, optionally I guess wipe the PS4 (wouldn't hurt, it's a quick process)
4. Transfer the SSHD into the Pro
5. Turn on the Pro with a USB device attached that has the firmware
6. Once the PS4 Pro turns on "for real" you can use the system menu to restore the backup. This should include your profile so after that you're ready to go.

Is there a reason why I have to use the USB device (external or thumbstick)? can't I just DL the update via the internet?

Is there a reason why I have to use the USB device (external or thumbstick)? can't I just DL the update via the internet?

Because when you exchange the hard drive, part of the OS is simply not on the console. (Some parts reside on firmware, but some of it resides on the HD). The PS4 isn't capable of going online and looking for firmware for you with part of it's brain missing, so to speak. It's literally loading up in "safe mode" to get you to install the firmware file.

(This isn't a problem on XB1 simply because you cannot remove the drive...)

eastx

Yes, but if you are signed in on your primary, it signs you out.
If you make the non primary console your primary, the people who sign in on it using their own account, can play your games. You can then sign in on your console, which is now the non primiary one, and still play your games as it will recognize you and allow you to access all your things.

Thanks. I just want everyone who's not me to be able to play games on both of our family's consoles, which should work out as long as they sign me in on the non-primary system/ Happy that will work. :)

I was tempted to go to task with Amazon since I got a launch day Pro and now the Target deal is there. I decided ultimately it wasn't worth it [especially since not many it seems or if any at all had any luck getting some portion of a refund]. Besides I've already taken advantage of Amazon's generosity with EVE Valkyrie [$20 vs full $60 digital price on the PSVR] and Robinson: The Journey [$40 vs full $60]. It seems even though they were price mistakes they didn't renege on those so I feel go about Amazon's treatment thus far.

Blizzje

Does anyone have problems with YouTube app?

I watch YT a lot on my PS4, and when I switched to the Pro it started to make console firmware very slow during app switching. After watching YT videos for a while when I press PS Button to see system menus it instantly slowdowns the entire console interface to the literally few FPS for a dozen of seconds and often makes YT app crash completely instead move it to the background.

I suspect that it might be caused that ‘Pro feature’ that moves app from DDR5 to the slower DDR3 memory. I have never had that problem on my standard PS4.

Can anyone confirm?

Same problems. Looks like the latest update causes the app to make the UI very slow. It even has some slowdown during 4K content. It made my entire system unstable to the point it started blacking out. After turning off the ps4 pro I didn't have the black screens anymore, so this may be related.

Got mine from Best Buy the other night, had them price match Amazon while that deal was still live. Transferred my back up, which took 5 hours, and ran Infamous SS. Looks great, performs great, but it's way louder than the 2nd revision PS4 non-Slim I traded in to buy it.

Going to try different placements and such, but this one may be going back for an exchange.

BeeDog

Yay, just got home with my spanking-new PS4 Pro.

Sorry for asking this since the thread is huge, but what's the best tutorial on moving over my PS4 information to the PS4 Pro (so I can sell of the OG one)?

Anything in particular to pay attention to?

- Any specifics on account deactivation and activation?
- Any special considerations about protected save files (e.g. Dark Souls 3)?
- Any special considerations regarding delisted games (e.g. P.T.)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cleve

Got mine from Best Buy the other night, had them price match Amazon while that deal was still live. Transferred my back up, which took 5 hours, and ran Infamous SS. Looks great, performs great, but it's way louder than the 2nd revision PS4 non-Slim I traded in to buy it.

Going to try different placements and such, but this one may be going back for an exchange.

There seems to be some real variation in terms of noise on fans, exchanging sounds like it's your best bet. That said, is it enclosed in any way? My pro gets way hotter than my OG, and if it isn't in an open air space will make quite a bit of noise. I moved it on top of my cabinet and had 0 problems.

There seems to be some real variation in terms of noise on fans, exchanging sounds like it's your best bet. That said, is it enclosed in any way? My pro gets way hotter than my OG, and if it isn't in an open air space will make quite a bit of noise. I moved it on top of my cabinet and had 0 problems.

nalzmOB.jpg

The picture is deceiving. It has about 6 inches of clearance from the top shelf, 5-6 inches on the sides, and another 5-6 inches from the back of the wall (I did that just now to get it away from the wall a bit more, hence the overhang on the front, going to try that placement now). My previous PS4 had about 2-3 inches of clearance from the wall, and 2-3 on the sides. Only got barely audible.

All of that being said, there does seem to be a lot of varying opinions on this. My launch PS4 was screaming loud, from the day I bought it. The 2nd revision I traded it in for last November was very quiet. This one may be even louder than the launch PS4.

Raxious

Ordered a PS4 Pro. Store doesn't have it in store atm, but are expecting a delivery by the end of the month. Nicely with FF XV.

Means I need to slowly prepare my current PS4 for a trade-in. Anything that's important to do?

owlbeak

Been really enjoying the Pro. It's just as quiet as my launch unit (which is to say I only hear it when I first put a disc in to install), and the improvement in Battlefield 1 is worth the price of admission all by itself. I've also played Rise of the Tomb Raider (4k, downsampled since I am on 1080p TV) and it's gorgeous. Skyrim looks great as well, but has clear performance issues that weren't there on regular PS4. It drops below 30fps often, which is a shame, so I've been holding off on playing it until they fix it. I still think the OG PS4 looks better, not a fan of the all matte design going on, but I do like the new lightbar placement on the system and the controller.

SMD

I set up my Pro and now I find out my amp doesn't support HDCP 2.2.

So, uhh, now what? My telly has one port that supports it but then how do I get audio through my speaker system?

Help?

Top Bottom