• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
AC Syndicate just got a Pro patch.

Yes. More legacy support, please, especially titles that are supposed to stick around a few years. Lego Dimensions, I'm looking at you.
I don't play it but I can't believe Bungie didn't patch Destiny. shame.gif

After tons of time spent calibrating my new tv, I took the HDR pro games I had for a spin.

Uncharted looked really good, in some places it was very clean. I only played the intro so I won't see the beach bits for a while, but I noticed the performance was about the same as the base ps4, which was good.

TLOU I was really excited for but in the intro it just looked clean and I didnt notice the additional contrast that HDR provided. The ps3 models do look a bit dated now...

First Light was probably my favourite, the world already looked great but HDR really works well here-the effect when standing next to a big neon sign is really impressive!

I have COD on the way and hoping to pick up TF2 this weekend and maybe ratchet if it goes on sale; are there any other "must try" games at the moment?

The lightning in the uc4 intro was super bright. All the lighting I've seen so far in uc4 looks great.

GrazGamer

After tons of time spent calibrating my new tv, I took the HDR pro games I had for a spin.

Uncharted looked really good, in some places it was very clean. I only played the intro so I won't see the beach bits for a while, but I noticed the performance was about the same as the base ps4, which was good.

TLOU I was really excited for but in the intro it just looked clean and I didnt notice the additional contrast that HDR provided. The ps3 models do look a bit dated now...

First Light was probably my favourite, the world already looked great but HDR really works well here-the effect when standing next to a big neon sign is really impressive!

I have COD on the way and hoping to pick up TF2 this weekend and maybe ratchet if it goes on sale; are there any other "must try" games at the moment?

I just finished UC4, image quality and HDR are stunning throughout. Saw a couple of FPS drops below 30 but overall it stayed above. Probably the best looking game I have ever seen. Would have loved a 60fps mode though :-(

XaosWolf

On my way to get a PS4 Pro right now. Wanna be prepared for the best experience I can get for FFXV next week.

Only have a 1080p TV right now, but come next February (and my hard-earned bonus) I will be snagging a UHD.

I can enjoy some supersampling now and HDR early next year. =D

Jobbs

Banned
Just hooked mine up. Gonna check out ROTTR.

It's an actual crime that Bloodborne isn't getting support. The best game of all time and the only way to play it is with shitty framerates and stuttering.

Audioboxer

AC Syndicate just got a Pro patch.

Nice, I'll go back and play. I got burnt out on ACs and gave up halfway through Syndicate. Kind of forgot I own it lol.

Just hooked mine up. Gonna check out ROTTR.

It's an actual crime that Bloodborne isn't getting support. The best game of all time and the only way to play it is with shitty framerates and stuttering.

Apart from FS being shitty devs technically, they probably won't touch any Souls game gone by. Half the community would probably rage if they fixed the issues for Pro owners as gamers throw a bitch fit whenever there are "competitive advantages" in MP. I mean I guess I can see why Sony are trying to keep the playing field level in MP modes, but Souls isn't just a MP game.

I posted this I'm the other thread as well, but posting here as well for a quick answer...

How long did your ps4 to ps4 pro transfers take, for around 900gb via direct ethernet its saying 18 hours... Is it overestimated?

Yes that's 100mbit transfer rate. Make sure both your router and any switch that you may use support 1gbit.
That's what I was thinking, the ps4s are connected directly via ethernet but the initial setup was via WiFi.

Edit- tried another 5e cable, getting gigabit speeds now. The other cable was a Belkin cable and shorter, no idea why it did that o_O.

King_Moc

Banned
I posted this I'm the other thread as well, but posting here as well for a quick answer...

How long did your ps4 to ps4 pro transfers take, for around 900gb via direct ethernet its saying 18 hours... Is it overestimated?

350gb directly connected by Etherley took maybe 2 hours. The time it guessed was way off though. It said 14 hours for a while at first.

Really want a pro patch for Rainbow Six and The Division.

Would like to see one for R6. Surely they can easily improve the method they user to get to 1080p/60fps in multi on the Pro? I'm assuming terrorist hunt was held back by the processor though.

Given they're still supporting both games, you'd think they'd do it?

spookyfish

350gb directly connected by Etherley took maybe 2 hours. The time it guessed was way off though. It said 14 hours for a while at first.

Yeah, it counts down pretty quickly from a high initial estimate.

My experience was pretty much the same: 370G in little over 2 hours.

Miggytronz

Would like to see one for R6. Surely they can easily improve the method they user to get to 1080p/60fps in multi on the Pro? I'm assuming terrorist hunt was held back by the processor though.

Given they're still supporting both games, you'd think they'd do it?

I'd like to think that RB6 would get a PRO bump in some manner. The game has a pretty good fan base. A PRO bump would def help!

PenguinRage

Neo Member
Hey everyone, I have a few questions here that I hope some of yall can assist me with. My apologies for the ignorance if some are "simple" and I skimmed through the entire thread and fixed what I could, but wanted to engage in conversation to ensure I am getting the correct set up.

My TV- sony xbr65x850b
My Amp- sony str-dh850

So I have had my Pro running through my PSVR, to my amp, which then outputs to the TV. I knew my TV did not have HDR, but I was suprised to see that it was not using HDCP 2.2. After reading through the thread, it looks like I cannot have the Pro connected to the PSVR box as it is not 2.2 compliant. Upon further investigation, it looks like my amp does not do 2.2 as well.... Now this is where it is odd. In settings on Pro, it says it is using 1.4, but when I go to Netflix, or YouTube, it says the content is at 4K, and when looking at the display on my tv's input, it is running at 3840x2160. Is my pro just upscaling, not using "native" 4K from these apps? Is this the same for games that do not have a Pro mode? I ask cause my TV always says it is displaying at this resolution.

Next, I have been suffering from a black screen flicker. This happens when I adjust the volume using the amp. This seems very odd, and I checked all the HDMI cables, and all are listed as High Speed, so not sure why this is happening. I am planning on connecting the Pro directly to a 2.2 compatible port on my TV, to fix the HDCP issue, and to see if the flickering stops. My assumption is that it will, and that the AMP is the issue, but not sure why as the amp has 4K passthrough. I also believe that once I connect the PS4 direct to TV, I can still have the amp use the audio return feature to still output 5.1 dolby/dts. Let me know if this is not true, but I believe I have done this in the past, just will need to adjust some settings.

Lastly, it is an annoyance having to swap HDMI to use PSVR. Has anyone confirmed that using a switcher will fix this? That when not using PSVR, it will still use HDCP 2.2 direct to TV without taking away any video quality? Then works fine with VR when set to use VR?

Thanks again everyone ahead of time for the responses!

Quick update from my end. Last night I connected the PS4 direct to the TV. This made HDCP up to 2.2 and stopped the black flickering, so something with the Amp was not happy. However, I cannot get the ARC to work for the life of me. I have the HDMI control turned on with all the devices, etc. but no sound coming from the amp (Surround sound). Any ideas?

I thought all of Sony's first party/second party stuff would be patched.

Until Dawn
Uncharted
TLOU:R
Ratchet & Clank
Bloodborne
DriveClub
Resogun
Infamous
Killzone
Knack
The Order

And then there's games that just make a lot of sense with very active communities

The Division
Destiny
Street Fighter 5
Overwatch
Battlefield
COD
etc...

Come on Cerny, if it's that easy, tell Bluepoint or someone to just up-res everything! I think Sony is due for some fan service stuff, even if it's not that profitable.

Audioboxer

Quick update from my end. Last night I connected the PS4 direct to the TV. This made HDCP up to 2.2 and stopped the black flickering, so something with the Amp was not happy. However, I cannot get the ARC to work for the life of me. I have the HDMI control turned on with all the devices, etc. but no sound coming from the amp (Surround sound). Any ideas?

Yeah that AMP is HDMI 1.4. I have the model below yours, STR-DH750, and it's only HDMI 1.4 as well. Both of ours supports 4K passthrough, but not HDR.

I've had to plug my PS4 Pro into my TV directly (unlike PS4 which I put through sound system), which is a Sony Bravia as well. My PS4 Pro is in HDMI 1, and my STR-DH750 into HDMI 4. HDMI 4 is ARC.

Check this setting on your TV

PaxRZOi.jpg

I had to change mine from PCM to auto 1 to successfully pass Dolby Digital/DTS from my PS4 to my sound system. TVs cannot pass 5.1 PCM via ARC.

Make sure your PS4 audio output is set to HDMI, Bitstream (DTS).

BSpot

This is really positive news, shows the developer is willing to patch an older title which is unlikely to gain many more sales.

That depends. Just turning on 4k and leaving a poorly-optimized game as-is is lazy and terrible. But I haven't checked in on that game for a while... (Since launch, basically...) did they every stabilize the framerate and other issues?

Is it pretty common for the home screen to lag a lot when you jump to it from a game? Getting crazy lag right now while hopping out of COD:IW and into home screen and can't identify the cause other than just that's how it is.
I can also confirm a laggy home screen. It is especially noticeable in COD:IW and COD:MW. For the record, I have a 2TB Firecuda in my PS4 Pro.

dr guildo

I thought all of Sony's first party/second party stuff would be patched.

Until Dawn
Uncharted
TLOU:R
Ratchet & Clank
Bloodborne
DriveClub
Resogun
Infamous
Killzone
Knack
The Order

And then there's games that just make a lot of sense with very active communities

The Division
Destiny
Street Fighter 5
Overwatch
Battlefield
COD
etc...

Come on Cerny, if it's that easy, tell Bluepoint or someone to just up-res everything! I think Sony is due for some fan service stuff, even if it's not that profitable.

As the brand owner, to patch all of first and second parties games, is the least Sony has to do to honor their contract between them and the purchasers of the Pro. If they don't show the example to follow, who will ?

PenguinRage

Neo Member
Yeah that AMP is HDMI 1.4. I have the model below yours, STR-DH750, and it's only HDMI 1.4 as well. Both of ours supports 4K passthrough, but not HDR.

I've had to plug my PS4 Pro into my TV directly (unlike PS4 which I put through sound system), which is a Sony Bravia as well. My PS4 Pro is in HDMI 1, and my STR-DH750 into HDMI 4. HDMI 4 is ARC.

Check this setting on your TV

PaxRZOi.jpg

I had to change mine from PCM to auto 1 to successfully pass Dolby Digital/DTS from my PS4 to my sound system. TVs cannot pass 5.1 PCM via ARC.

Make sure your PS4 audio output is set to HDMI, Bitstream (DTS).

Thanks for this! I think you nailed it with Saying that the HDMI port on the TV must support ARC. I will look into this now.

Can anybody give me their impressions if a PS4 Pro is worth it with a 1080p TV? I was planning on picking up the Slim on Black Friday since I have $220 GameStop credit, but now I am second guessing myself and thinking about the Pro. The reason I was originally going for the Slim is because it is cheaper and quieter and since I have a gaming PC I will play most of my third-party games on that. Now I'm feeling like I'd like the Pro for exclusives, but I do not have a 4K/HDR TV and probably will not own one in the next two years.

Lady Gaia

For those who have both : between 1080p downsampled without jaggies vs 4k, do 4k looks really better ?

4K absolutely looks better. There's an amazing sense of fine texture and clean edges in 4K that doesn't come across at 1080p. Even simple things like text and line art suddenly look sharp when you thought they looked good before. It's exactly like going from pre-retina iPhone or iPad to a retina model. Everything was anti-aliased before, but now it's insanely crisp.

The downside is that you really notice when textures are at too low a resolution. There are parts of Dishonored 2 that are downright ugly as a result.

Sorry if it's been answered already but the Amazon app on the Pro. Is it in 4K with HDR? I ask because I have the App on my TV and the picture quality on the TV App is much better than on the Pro.

SMD

Exact same problem I had. Bought a 4K passthrough amp this year and then boom, HDR isn't supported because the HDMI spec changed again lol...

I'm using arc on my TV. Plug the AMP HDMI into ARC HDMI on your TV (might already be here). Then the Pro directly into another TV HDMI slot.

Most TVs pass through DD and DTS fine. They don't do 5.1 PCM though, just 2.1 PCM. So it's live with DD and DTS or buy a new amp for 5.1/7.1 PCM.

Or you can use an optical cable, but ARC is far more convenient.

Just as an update, I couldn't get ARC working and it turned out my TV doesn't support the same kind of HDR so it was all a waste of time, thank you very much.

Humdinger

Can anybody give me their impressions if a PS4 Pro is worth it with a 1080p TV? I was planning on picking up the Slim on Black Friday since I have $220 GameStop credit, but now I am second guessing myself and thinking about the Pro. The reason I was originally going for the Slim is because it is cheaper and quieter and since I have a gaming PC I will play most of my third-party games on that. Now I'm feeling like I'd like the Pro for exclusives, but I do not have a 4K/HDR TV and probably will not own one in the next two years.

There are a lot of opinions you can find on 1080p benefits in this thread and several others.

More specifically, though, the deciding factors for you will be 1) how many PS4 exclusives you will be playing, and 2) how important the benefits of downsampling are to you.

Cleaner 1080p + sometimes better framerates (looking at you, Hitman!) make it worth it for me. Plus just in general noise level for me has been minor or absent. With non patch games it's basically just running as a PS4 Slim anyways.

melos

Haven't tried using remote play since around the time of the original release of it on PC/Mac. Boy the 1080P plus High Framerate option are working well for me. Actually makes playing the majority of my games quite playable on my home network! Nice to be able to play while I'm sick in bed today!

BillyJack

Banned
Sorry for the double post.

My brother just got his Pro and I honestly can't remember how I set mine up.

He has both of his PS4's on and on the same network. His question is does he sign in to PSN on the Pro first then transfer or does he deactivate all the PS4's on his account then sign in to his PSN on the PRO?

Sorry for the double post.

My brother just got his Pro and I honestly can't remember how I set mine up.

He has both of his PS4's on and on the same network. His question is does he sign in to PSN on the Pro first then transfer or does he deactivate all the PS4's on his account then sign in to his PSN on the PRO?

Are you doing a transfer? Turn on both consoles, sign in on the Pro only. Hell the Pro is the only one that needs to be connected to a TV. If you do the transfer process from the Pro it will ask if you want to deactivate the source PS4 and activate the destination PS4 (Pro).

BillyJack

Banned
Are you doing a transfer? Turn on both consoles, sign in on the Pro only. Hell the Pro is the only one that needs to be connected to a TV. If you do the transfer process from the Pro it will ask if you want to deactivate the source PS4 and activate the destination PS4 (Pro).

Awesome thanks!

Top Bottom