• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Anyone running Elder Scrolls Online with a 1080p set on the Pro? I hear that there are two Pro options, a 4K and a 1080p Enhanced, but I'm not seeing them anywhere.

dr guildo

I've made some 3840x2160 THE LAST OF US wallpaper from the title screen window if anybody's interested.

[ NO LOGO ] − [ 25% LOGO ] − [ 100% LOGO ]

TLOUwallpaper_preview.png

thx man !

TheZink

For some reason the past day whenever I put the Pro in sleep mode the fan never stops running. Anyone else have this happening?

Do you need an Ethernet Cable?
I plug the Ethernet in to both PS4's and it says LAN CABLE NOT FOUND

Both PS4s have to be connected to the internet in the same way.

Method 1: Both are individually connected to your router using ethernet cables (aka LAN cable). No cable is required to bridge the two consoles directly.

Method 2: Both are connected to your router using wifi. In this case you need to connect the PS4s to each other directly using an ethernet cable.

Omerta

Bought my Pro yesterday - I was planning on selling my OG PS4 but I think I'll keep it at work instead!

The transfer process was surprisingly easy... I used the LAN cable technique and 500gb took less than an hour.

I was a little concerned initially after reading lots of reports of 4K TV compatibility because I've got a mid-range Hisense 4K set but I did my research, connected it to the correct HDMI port and I got the correct resolution right away. I knew the set didn't do HDR so I made my peace with that.

The first game I tried was Ratchet and Clank due to the hype the patch gets. The hype is real - it *does* look like the Pixar movie everyone says it does but I thought it looked great to begin with.

I tried Deus Ex because that's a game I thought looked pretty rough on the vanilla PS4 and holy fuck is there a massive IQ imrorovement! I only played it for a short while but it looks great, seems to run really smoothly and the PS4 is quiet while it runs it... unlike my other hair drier of a console.

Still early days but I'm very happy.

So deus ex mankind divided received a new patch today 1.09, according to the notes it's meant to improve ps4 pro performance. I'm about to check it out myself.

Hey all, just an update from last night.

i've been having crashing problems with Watch Dogs one disc installation at launch but never had any issues once it finally installed on to the HDD, I had a failed initial boot of Evil Within but i could never replicate it. (i was downloading multiple games in the background) after reading a few posts of a few Pro disc reading issues on this thread, i thought to keep testing.

Last i tried to repeat the crash to make sure it's not the ps4 hardware pro but the game itself. (as i want to get the kinks worked out in the 30 day return window. ) (last night i installed watchdogs one 7 times and it crashed 5 out of the seven times)

after reading up on watchdogs it seems like its the game itself has crash problems for OG ps4 with people returning/replacing their systems and still having multiple crashes during installation and in game. it got to the point where the game wouldn't even install on my system, but i rebuilt my HDD in safe mode as suggested by another forum. the PRO failed one the first attempt at rebuilding, indicating my drive was corrupt but after restarting itself it completed rebuilding. (i did it a few more times to be safe)

i tried re-installing other discs and games. no problems so far.
watchdogs also seems to run fine so i chalk it up to watch dogs 1 being a bit buggy for installation and doing all that deleting and installing probably created HDD corruption issues.
once loaded fully running off the HDD, i had no issues with it.

looks like i'm going to skip returning the pro as no other game is having issues reading or installing.

just wanted to post these updates in case someone is running into a similar issue with Watchdogs one

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
1080p owner here and I have been blown away by the crystal clear Image quality. Ratchet especially looks like a CGi movie. In fact, they were using CGi cutscenes from their CGi movie for some of the scenes and i couldnt tell the difference.

Games like Titanfall, Battlefield and Infamous Second Son run at 60 fps despite the OG versions dropping and staying around 40 fps. I took some screenshots so hopefully some guys still lurking in the thread can see just how clean all these images look. We have finally reached bullshot quality.

black070

1080p owner here and I have been blown away by the crystal clear Image quality. Ratchet especially looks like a CGi movie. In fact, they were using CGi cutscenes from their CGi movie for some of the scenes and i couldnt tell the difference.

Games like Titanfall, Battlefield and Infamous Second Son run at 60 fps despite the OG versions dropping and staying around 40 fps. I took some screenshots so hopefully some guys still lurking in the thread can see just how clean all these images look. We have finally reached bullshot quality.

These look damn good, well done.

Is the power button supposed to be flimsy as hell, pressing it from left side makes it bend backwards for me o_O , dunno if faulty or crappy build quality.

BigEmil

Great shots, would look much better in .PNG and uploaded host site where they dont compress images such as Abload but still looks brilliant.
Wonder how PS5 is gonna be

Anyone? I have 1 day left to exchange

I've watch Speed Racer, Avengers, and Black Hawk Down. Everything works fine and I barely hear the disc drive during the actual movies. It makes noise when skipping stuff but I figure that's the norm. I haven't watched one of my blu-ray's or any of disc movie in years and honestly forgot that was even a thing.

poodpick

Bluray has been playing fine for me. I've not noticed any noise, though I always have the 5.1 cranking.

I don't want to seem neurotic here, but can you pop in a movie and mute the audio and listen for disc read noise around 2-3 m away?

I've watch Speed Racer, Avengers, and Black Hawk Down. Everything works fine and I barely hear the disc drive during the actual movies. It makes noise when skipping stuff but I figure that's the norm. I haven't watched one of my blu-ray's or any of disc movie in years and honestly forgot that was even a thing.

I sit really close to my TV (its in a small room right now) so I notice the drive noise more easily now. I wouldn't care except that when it gets to a quiet scene I get distracted by the drive noise.

Nice shots, but I'd like to add that both Infamous look ungodly awful from above, it nets you stuff like this:

It's amazing how much better these games look when on the ground.

JP

Anyone? I have 1 day left to exchange

EDIT: Forgot about holiday return policy
We've been watching through Lost on blu-ray since we got the Pro, we're half way through season three now and I'm not hearing anything unless I put my head inches away from it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sorry for the double post.

My brother just got his Pro and I honestly can't remember how I set mine up.

He has both of his PS4's on and on the same network. His question is does he sign in to PSN on the Pro first then transfer or does he deactivate all the PS4's on his account then sign in to his PSN on the PRO?

Since you are transferring data between two systems directly, you can just start the process. The on screen instructions will offer to activate the pro as primary once transfer completes automatically.

dealer-

I don't want to seem neurotic here, but can you pop in a movie and mute the audio and listen for disc read noise around 2-3 m away?

I sit really close to my TV (its in a small room right now) so I notice the drive noise more easily now. I wouldn't care except that when it gets to a quiet scene I get distracted by the drive noise.

I switched back to my OG PS4 when watching a blu-ray yesterday as the Pro seemed to be louder, no idea why that would be. Maybe it's the disc drive.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

You're killing me with these jpegs dude

poodpick

I switched back to my OG PS4 when watching a blu-ray yesterday as the Pro seemed to be louder, no idea why that would be. Maybe it's the disc drive.

Damn. I guess I'll dig out my old bd player for movies. Would love if this was only an issue with certain units rather than all

My PS4 Pro and 4K TV are in my bedroom and my Pro is less than 2 feet away from where I normally sit. I just muted it now and don't hear the PS4 at all. That's just my experience though. My Pro stays pretty quiet when playing games as well.

I realize others aren't having the same experience though. I guess I'll just chalk it up as me being one of the fortunate ones.

Unknown?

My PS4 Pro and 4K TV are in my bedroom and my Pro is less than 2 feet away from where I normally sit. I just muted it now and don't hear the PS4 at all. That's just my experience though. My Pro stays pretty quiet when playing games as well.

I realize others aren't having the same experience though. I guess I'll just chalk it up as me being one of the fortunate ones.
Yeah mine is WAYYY quieter than my OG PS4.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Great shots, would look much better in .PNG and uploaded host site where they dont compress images such as Abload but still looks brilliant.
Wonder how PS5 is gonna be
You're killing me with these jpegs dude

I didnt realize that PS4 supported the PNG format and 4k until after I put on ratchet. So the ratchet screesnshots are all in PNG. One of the bigger 14MB screenshots broke imgur though.

Nice shots, but I'd like to add that both Infamous look ungodly awful from above, it nets you stuff like this:

It's amazing how much better these games look when on the ground.
wow. i didnt even notice. that looks horrendous lol.

PS4 Pro is seriously impressive. Even games like Call of Duty, which are generally middle-of-the-road from a graphical point of view, look jaw dropping on the Pro:

callofduty_infinitewa6tuln.png

callofduty_infinitewaneusb.png

callofduty_infinitewaxhuut.png

callofduty_infinitewah4uuh.png

I resized the screenshots because I couldn't find a host that was willing to let me upload 12MB PNGs.

It just looks shockingly good. Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted 4 look even better.

anyone know the bandwidth requirements for streaming in 1080p/30 and 1080p/60?

For 1080p 30 fps, your upload speed is probably good enough.

For 1080p 60 fps however, you're going to need something pretty good. My upload speed is roughly 6 to 8, (according to speedtest.net) and it's not good enough. You get artificats on the streams.

Observe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiTWzMBWSdo

I clearly don't have the upload bandwidth to stream 1080p 60.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Any word on whether DICE plans to patch Mirrors Edge C.?

Anyone having issues getting 4k content on the Amazon app? It wont show any 4k stuff when I search, but I have no problem getting 4k content on Netflix and Youtube.

Mezoly

Finally finished the backup process.

Some first day initial thoughts on my 50 inch 1080p tv before my 65 inch KS8000 arrives on Friday:
- Tried R&C and looks better but my memory had a good image of the game so I wasn't blown away.
- then tried Uncharted 4 multiplayer and noticed sharpness due to native 1080p.

- Then turned on My psvr and started Robinson and the game became truly better looking. I really felt a big difference here. The greens and resolution became so much better that made the game come alive and now I actually want to play the game more.
- Playroom Vr had the same effect as Robinson on me. The blurriness is gone and the games looks much better.
I also had less nausea on Robinson but that might be due to less time played or placebo.

My overall thoughts for one day on 1080p and Psvr: The upgrade is not worth it for the 2 games I tried on 1080p. The upgrade is absolutely worth it for PSVR games. But that just me and my level of attention to details.

I'm downloading First Light any other games that would look better on 1080p?

Yeah mine is WAYYY quieter than my OG PS4.

Only one of day of testing and mine is super quite compare to my og.

Anyone having issues getting 4k content on the Amazon app? It wont show any 4k stuff when I search, but I have no problem getting 4k content on Netflix and Youtube.
I asked the same thing. I thought that maybe I hadn't let the stream buffer properly. Doesn't look as good as the Amazon app on my KS7500. Both are connected by wi-fi.

I need help. I removed my HDD from my OG PS4 and put it in my PS4 Pro, downloaded the update file from Sony's site, but I keep getting error codes. It's the 300,000KB file though, apparently there's an recovery update I need too, but I can't find it? Please help!!!!

benzy

So I have a 2TB drive on the OG PS4. How would I go about switching that over to the Pro along with transferring all of my games/saves?

mauaus

I need help. I removed my HDD from my OG PS4 and put it in my PS4 Pro, downloaded the update file from Sony's site, but I keep getting error codes. It's the 300,000KB file though, apparently there's an recovery update I need too, but I can't find it? Please help!!!!
The correct one is 800mb

Shin-Ra

You need just one file, but it's the larger NEW INSTALLATION file:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/#newinstallation

http://dus01.ps4.update.playstation...1b685a8a53fe2c358b7cb2437d6838c/PS4UPDATE.PUP

CLEEK

So I have a 2TB drive on the OG PS4. How would I go about switching that over to the Pro along with transferring all of my games/saves?

External HDD is how I did just this.

1. Backup both the old PS4 and Pro to external HDD
2. Download the 'new installation' full firmware update and put onto the external HDD
3. Swap over HDDs to put the 2TB in the Pro
4. Hold power button for 7 seconds to put Pro into safe mode
5. Reinitialise and install firmware
6. Once Pro is set up, go into System > Backup and Restore > Restore from external drive
7. Wait several hours...
8. Pro now has the 2TB HDD and all your games and saves

If you have <1TB of data on your current PS4, then you can also do steps 4-8 to restore it onto the 1TB drive from the Pro. Otherwise just reinstall / download the games you want.

Yeah, I think the Netflix app for the Pro already got updated for 4K/HDR whereas I think we're still waiting on Amazon to update theirs. Hopefully they don't take too much longer since right now I only have Prime not Netflix.

benzy

External HDD is how I did just this.

1. Backup both the old PS4 and Pro to external HDD
2. Download the 'new installation' full firmware update and put onto the external HDD
3. Swap over HDDs to put the 2TB in the Pro
4. Hold power button for 7 seconds to put Pro into safe mode
5. Reinitialise and install firmware
6. Once Pro is set up, go into System > Backup and Restore > Restore from external drive
7. Wait several hours...
8. Pro now has the 2TB HDD and all your games and saves

If you have <1TB of data on your current PS4, then you can also do steps 4-8 to restore it onto the 1TB drive from the Pro. Otherwise just reinstall / download the games you want.

Thanks! will give it a try.

Top Bottom