• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

My god....

Hitman and Watch Dogs 2 looks amazing. Specifically Hitman, I tough I was watching a cutcene intro, but nothing happens, then I move the analog and DAMNNNNN

It's running at 60 fps and crystal clear image quality. How the hell no one ever told me about this game?

It's just mind blowing stuff.

Watch Dogs 2 also looks amazing when static, don't know why there's so much blur when moving the camera. Felt dizzy after playing more than 2 hours. Felt like a lot of ghosting from moving the camera. Very odd

recursive

Anyone know if the Blops 3 patch is out? Seems to not run well with framerate stutters for me. I also don't think the resolution has been increased.

Jobbs

Banned
Rise of The Tomb Raider is really great on PS4 Pro. Running it in high framerate (I didn't count frames but it seems 60ish to my eye) is very similar to playing it on my PC, and without a direct comparison it seems basically the same to me. The same couldn't be said for the XB1 version, which was vastly inferior.

The 4K mode produces a slight increase in image quality on a 1080p 44 inch television, but I find that the high framerate mode improves the experience the most. Makes me sad that most games probably won't offer high framerate modes, because this is where it's at.

Gibran7

Stupid question.

Does the Ps4 pro upscale all 1080p games to 4k if you own a 4k tv? Even those games that haven't been patched?

If so, is there a noticeable difference?

Footos22

Stupid question.

Does the Ps4 pro upscale all 1080p games to 4k if you own a 4k tv? Even those games that haven't been patched?

Your tv will upscale everything just as much so you wont ever even know if theres a difference if you are playing a normal ps4 on your 4k tv unless you play it next to a 1080p tv. Upscaling is no where near the same thing as what pro patched games are doing.

CLEEK

Stupid question.

Yes, it upscales the output to 4K, but it's still natively rendered at 1080p.

The only difference between a PS4 at 1080p on a 4KTV and a Pro running unpatched 1080p games on a 4KTV is that the you're having the Pro do the upscaling instead of your TV.

PS4 (1080p) -> TV (upscales to 4K)
Pro (1080p upscales to 4K) -> TV

Any improvements all come down to how good or bad your TV does upscaling. The Pro will likely give better results, but there won't be massive differences

DieH@rd

Banned
Stupid question.

Yes it upscales old games. Differences may happen because Sony upscaling is regarded as one of the best. If your TV has a shitty scaler, playing old games on Pro may look a bit better.

Mossybrew

So I have my Pro set up tonight, just want to clarify, RGB is better than the YUV option correct? I assume so since I had to upgrade the hdmi pot on my tv before the pro said it was supported. How much of a difference does it make?

today was awesome, i went to gamestop and traded in some ps4 camera and some old games for the 50% bonus trade in promo they had and they let me retroactively apply it to my launch ps4.

in the end, i only paid $5.48 for my pro. (launch ps4 credit from july, ps3 controller, old original 3ds xl, ps4 camera, and wii u gamecube adaptor trade in)

Just got my pro and this thing is sexy.
Love the front light bar on the system itself.

Can't wait to finish updating everything and tinker around some more.

Was able to grab a system and got a complete collection of Destiny.

Gibran7

Yes it upscales old games. Differences may happen because Sony upscaling is regarded as one of the best. If your TV has a shitty scaler, playing old games on Pro may look a bit better.

Also which game you play. Guilty Gear looks incredibly gorgeous in 4K even if there is no added detail.

Yes, it upscales the output to 4K, but it's still natively rendered at 1080p.

The only difference between a PS4 at 1080p on a 4KTV and a Pro running unpatched 1080p games on a 4KTV is that the you're having the Pro do the upscaling instead of your TV.

PS4 (1080p) -> TV (upscales to 4K)
Pro (1080p upscales to 4K) -> TV

Any improvements all come down to how good or bad your TV does upscaling. The Pro will likely give better results, but there won't be massive differences

Yes.

It depends on the quality of your television's upscaler. The PS4 does a totally respectable job, but don't expect anything magical.

Your tv will upscale everything just as much so you wont ever even know if theres a difference if you are playing a normal ps4 on your 4k tv unless you play it next to a 1080p tv. Upscaling is no where near the same thing as what pro patched games are doing.

Thank you so much for all the responses. I have the 49x800d so the Sony upscaler. Since I got the pro, it's been tough to buy any game thats not pro patched. Feels like I'm buying a last Gen game (I now it's not a huge difference... Just in my head) lol

Yeah, I think the Netflix app for the Pro already got updated for 4K/HDR whereas I think we're still waiting on Amazon to update theirs. Hopefully they don't take too much longer since right now I only have Prime not Netflix.

Thanks, I assumed it was already updated. I can see 4k movies from my movie history on the pro, but it seems like someone hasnt flipped the switch on the pro app.

Mossybrew

So anyway after a couple hours tonight with my new Pro, I'm pleased. I have a '15 model Sony 4K tv with no HDR - so I'm not seeing the best potential of the Pro and knew that going in. Also, Sony does have good upscaling to my expectations were tempered.

- Watch Dogs 2 - looks marginally better. The shimmering on polygon seams that was especially noticeable on vehicles is almost entirely eliminated. So, better but not too significant overall.

- Battlefield 1 - game runs noticeably smoother and sharper. I've been playing a lot lately and the difference to me was immediately apparent. Gives me faith that going forward Pro games will look noticeably better for me even without HDR.

- PSVR - Tried the Playroom - looked slightly sharper. Put in RIGS - menu/loading areas seem about the same but in gameplay the graphics are again significantly sharper, which makes the whole game just feel a lot better, this is another promising sign for future VR games.

And coming from the 500g original PS4, the double storage of the Pro is welcome. All in all happy with my purchase because I had realistic expectations and also the brief Amazon discount sealed the deal.

today was awesome, i went to gamestop and traded in some ps4 camera and some old games for the 50% bonus trade in promo they had and they let me retroactively apply it to my launch ps4.

in the end, i only paid $5.48 for my pro. (launch ps4 credit from july, ps3 controller, old original 3ds xl, ps4 camera, and wii u gamecube adaptor trade in)

That is indeed quite awesome. I paid a lot more than that in £ over my old PS4.

Just got a pro, played some Deus Ex Mankind after playing on og4 some, thank goodness, game definitely looks sharper and clean, jaggies are gone, its not a great game to showcase but its much better, can play now without grimacing at looks, so far very impressed with the machine, games are looking very nice.

Hello, does anyone know what kind of HDD's the PS4 Pro takes, how much space can I have for it, & what are the best HDD's out there?

Thanks!

Mesharey

My god....

Hitman and Watch Dogs 2 looks amazing. Specifically Hitman, I tough I was watching a cutcene intro, but nothing happens, then I move the analog and DAMNNNNN

It's running at 60 fps and crystal clear image quality. How the hell no one ever told me about this game?
Does Hitman support the Pro?

Rambaldi

I picked up mine tonight and I'm a little concerned. Maybe I'm overreacting but when I insert or eject a disk there's a really odd and noticeable "clicking" sound. It's not there when the game actually goes all the way in or when the drive is empty.

Should I exchange it? Is this normal? My regular PS4 didn't sound like this. :(

That is indeed quite awesome. I paid a lot more than that in £ over my old PS4.
thanks! yeah, this pre-black friday gamestop trade-in promo that day for 2 days helped me out a bit!

I picked up mine tonight and I'm a little concerned. Maybe I'm overreacting but when I insert or eject a disk there's a really odd and noticeable "clicking" sound. It's not there when the game actually goes all the way in or when the drive is empty.

Should I exchange it? Is this normal? My regular PS4 didn't sound like this. :(
i would exchange it to be safe. i hear no clicking noise unless the drive thinks it's receiving a disc that's not there.

mitchman

Gold Member
Can anyone else comment if they Pro gets super hot and fans are always pretty loud? Seems way hotter than my slim.

Around 55 decibel and 55 C temp when running full speed on ROTR. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yb6L-WbjE4

Do you need an Ethernet Cable?
I plug the Ethernet in to both PS4's and it says LAN CABLE NOT FOUND

Not sure if you can plug them directly. You might need to go via a switch if the ports on the PS4s don't autodetect a non-mirrored cable and automatically flips it.

Ricky_R

Got mine yesterday and did a quick set up. Played Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank and was like WTF? Where's the improvement? Looks the fucking same. Downsample improves quality my ass...

Then I remembered that I skipped connecting to the network so the games didn't update. Updated R&C, loaded it again and...

today-omg-jaw-dropping-reaction-shot-gif-video-2.gif

Shit is real. I'm pretty excited to try more games.

Does Hitman support the Pro?

I'm going to say, one of the best Pro Enhanced Games.

- Bump from 1080p to 1440p
- Faster loading times
- Faster texture loading (or streaming I guess)
- At least over 10 fps ahead of OG PS4 (even at high resolution)
- And the entire season is available right now with 50% discount!!!!!!!

The intro levels are runing at rock solid 60 fps. Other levels are runing at 45-50, while original PS4 runs at 30-40 and some times dips under 30 fps.

I'm very impressed. To make it perfect, I think they should use the head room of 15-20 fps and increse the resolution to 1620p with locked 30 fps.

Sadly the CPU is the bottleneck to achieve 60 fps in all levels.

Audioboxer

Got mine yesterday and did a quick set up. Played Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank and was like WTF? Where's the improvement? Looks the fucking same. Downsample improves quality my ass...

Then I remembered that I skipped connecting to the network so the games didn't update. Updated R&C, loaded it again and...

It would have been funnier if self-delusion led you to say holy shit looks amazing pre-update, and then you realised you hadn't updated :p

What the human mind and perception can do to justify a purchase! Luckily you didn't fall for it!

Joei

I used a college registry code, my wife's RedCard, and a 30$ Target gift card to get the Pro for 313 after tax. Please tell me I made the right decision. My wife's not too happy about the money I spent, but is like whatever....

And I have a PS4 already, hoping I can sell it for at least 180.

Unknown?

I used a college registry code, my wife's RedCard, and a 30$ Target gift card to get the Pro for 313 after tax. Please tell me I made the right decision. My wife's not too happy about the money I spent, but is like whatever....

And I have a PS4 already, hoping I can sell it for at least 180.
You made the right decision and after selling your old one it will be a very small monetary upgrade.

DavidDesu

GUYS HELP ME!

I want a Pro but was happy to wait til next year but... PayPal recently upped my credit limit giving me enough credit to get the Pro. They also have that offer that if you spend over £150 in any transaction you get 4 months interest free on it so I'll need to pay minimum payments but I won't be accruing interest on it and can realistically pay it off before the 4 months is up.

I have PSVR and really would like to see the improvements there, but I only have a 1080p tv. Very happy to see IQ improvements in my games but disappointed that right now there's not more legacy games with support (NEED Rocket League and Bloodborne)..

AND

Argos I can pay with Paypal and get same day delivery. I could have it tonight! (helps with the transfer from my current console before I sell it on to recoup a chunk of money).

Oh and my wages go in tomorrow and I've done a fair chunk of overtime and all of it managing in my shitty retail job so it's a better pay month than most, although Xmas is round the corner....

SHOULD I BUY THE PRO NOW?! HELP ME. Girlfriend might kick my balls.

Unknown?

GUYS HELP ME!

I want a Pro but was happy to wait til next year but... PayPal recently upped my credit limit giving me enough credit to get the Pro. They also have that offer that if you spend over £150 in any transaction you get 4 months interest free on it so I'll need to pay minimum payments but I won't be accruing interest on it and can realistically pay it off before the 4 months is up.

I have PSVR and really would like to see the improvements there, but I only have a 1080p tv. Very happy to see IQ improvements in my games but disappointed that right now there's not more legacy games with support (NEED Rocket League and Bloodborne)..

AND

Argos I can pay with Paypal and get same day delivery. I could have it tonight! (helps with the transfer from my current console before I sell it on to recoup a chunk of money).

Oh and my wages go in tomorrow and I've done a fair chunk of overtime and all of it managing in my shitty retail job so it's a better pay month than most, although Xmas is round the corner....

SHOULD I BUY THE PRO NOW?! HELP ME. Girlfriend might kick my balls.

If it doesn't put you in too much financial strain. Although if you can't pay for it in cash, I personally don't like going into debt on things I can't pay off in less than two months time or to where I'll use up a lot of savings.

Your reaction gif made me crack up :D

Lady Gaia

Not sure if you can plug them directly. You might need to go via a switch if the ports on the PS4s don't autodetect a non-mirrored cable and automatically flips it.

You can connect them directly and it does auto-sense so there's no need for a special cable. Others have said both consoles need to be signed to PSN via WiFi, but I haven't seen that in writing anywhere. At least the Pro needs to be, and perhaps both.

Connecting them directly should remove a lot of variables regarding transfer speed. Just one confirmed Cat 5e cable and you should be good to go. Were both consoles on?

Popsickles

Stupid question.

I have found the Ps scaler does a very good job games look better on the Pro than they did on the Og

DavidDesu

If it doesn't put you in too much financial strain. Although if you can't pay for it in cash, I personally don't like going into debt on things I can't pay off in less than two months time or to where I'll use up a lot of savings.

I just fucking bought it. Delivered tonight. SHIT. I need ball protection. That's my next question... or go single and homeless clutching my Pro..!? ;p

Can't believe I bought it just like that. Oops. No financial strain really, not more than normal. Realistically £50 a month and it'll be paid off once I sell my PS4 for maybe about £150 or so.

Unknown?

I just fucking bought it. Delivered tonight. SHIT. I need ball protection. That's my next question... or go single and homeless clutching my Pro..!? ;p

Can't believe I bought it just like that. Oops. No financial strain really, not more than normal. Realistically £50 a month and it'll be paid off once I sell my PS4 for maybe about £150 or so.

Well the good choice my man! 👍🏻

Hoo-doo

Banned
If 399 bucks is a big impact to you financially to the point that it deserves all this uncertainty and doubt, i'd say no, you really don't need an updated Playstation that bad.

DBT85

I mean, it's your money right? What's the problem?

You'd be stunned how many people on here need permission to buy things.

One of them told me I didn't understand because I'm not married.

I'm on my second wife.

The first didn't let me buy things

cheesekao

Lol, cancelled the order, she was "serious". :( Ah well I really didn't NEED it anyway. God damn capitalism making me want things I could go without!

You'd be stunned how many people on here need permission to buy things.

One of them told me I didn't understand because I'm not married.

I'm on my second wife.

The first didn't let me buy things
Wow, I will never understand why someone would bar their partner from buying something they want. I know some people have responsibilities and all but if you're the breadwinner and aren't in any financial trouble, the least they could do is let you enjoy yourself a little.

DavidDesu

Wow, I will never understand why someone would bar their partner from buying something they want. I know some people have responsibilities and all but if you're the breadwinner and aren't in any financial trouble, the least they could do is let you enjoy yourself a little.

I'm the co-breadwinner, and I have a bit of debt. Nothing huge but a bit on one credit card and some on Paypal Credit. I can wait for the Pro.

Top Bottom