• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Humdinger

I'm in a state of confusion as to whether to trade in my only 4 month old PS4 for a Pro. I have a 4K TV and a good amp so I'm tempted but I've also read a few mixed opinions on here as to whether it's really worth it. Advice is appreciated as to how much difference it will make. I feel like I'm missing out a little but not sure whether I should just wait a while and see how it all pans out.

No question in my mind, you should get it. It's worth it at 1080p; no doubt it's worth it for those who own a 4K/HDR set (assuming you game on PS4 fairly often and enjoy their exclusives). It's unfortunate that you bought a PS4 only 4 months ago, but oh well, bite the bullet and upgrade. It'll cost you about $250. If you don't upgrade, you'll just spend the next 3 years wishing you had.

hpa88

Neo Member
So I'm planning to buy a pro. I already own a ps4, of which I have replaced the hard drive with a 1.5 tb disk. What is the fastest way to backup my stuff and put this one on the pro?

Piggus

My Pro arrives tomorrow. No 4k TV yet, but looking forward to replaying some games with much better IQ.

I have to decide between a 4K TV and a PSVR.

So I'm planning to buy a pro. I already own a ps4, of which I have replaced the hard drive with a 1.5 tb disk. What is the fastest way to backup my stuff and put this one on the pro?

I did this last night. I used an external 640 GB USB 2.0 drive that I formatted as exFAT. It won't let you select individual apps to back up, so I had to delete about 200 gbs worth of games (you can reinstall these later of course) before it would allow the backup to start. 600 GBs took about 6 or 7 hours. Once the Pro gets here, both hard drives will come out, be formatted, and swapped. I believe you need the latest firmware on a USB drive/external drive (there are guides on how to do that). Once both systems have their new drives and are up to date, you can restore your backup from the external drive onto the Pro.

5taquitos

Will you be selling your original PS4 before getting the Pro? If so, you'll need to back up the original to an external drive first.

You won't be able to system transfer since you'll be replacing the Pro's drive with the drive that's currently in the PS4. External HD is the only way to backup. You can use the 1 TB that comes in the Pro as an external if you're keeping the PS4 for a while:

1) remove 1 TB from pro
2) put 1 TB in enclosure
3) Plug new 1 TB external into OG PS4 and backup
4) remove internal drive from OG PS4 and put in Pro
5) initialize drive on Pro with firmware from Sony site
6) connect the 1 TB external and restore backed up games.

xinek

So, I sold my OG Taco Bell launch PS4 for a new Pro yesterday. I had been using the OG PS4's HDMI cable with the pro, but I replaced it with the cable that the Pro came with. I then got the black screen on my TV. I put the Pro into safe mode and selected HDCP 1.4, which fixed the problem. This is a 1080p tv.

My question is -- I've read online in multiple places that there is no such thing as an HDCP 2.2 HDMI cable. Equipment, yes -- cable, no. So why did using the Pro's HDMI cable cause HDCP issues whereas the old HDMI cable didn't?

My question is -- I've read online in multiple places that there is no such thing as an HDCP 2.2 HDMI cable. Equipment, yes -- cable, no.
Correct. HDMI cables are only rated by the bandwidth they are capable of reliably transmitting. This comes in the form of the HDMI spec they are rated at. HDMI 2.0a, for example, can push 18Gbps down the pipes, whereas HDMI 1.4 pushes 10Gbps. This is an absolute case of "cables matter."

HDCP is best of thinking it as a VPN tunnel. The version determines the method of encryption and its strength and it is wholly independent of HDMI.

So why did using the Pro's HDMI cable cause HDCP issues whereas the old HDMI cable didn't?
That's the million dollar question. The Pro's HDMI cable is assuredly rated at HDMI 2.0a support.

I'd guess it's something to do with a device in the HDMI chain. And this very well could be your TV, an AVR, or, most likely, the Pro itself.

just sold my og for $260 with 4 games, waiting on pro, I told myself I would get only if I can sell og for a decent amount, this was good enough.

hpa88

Neo Member
Will you be selling your original PS4 before getting the Pro? If so, you'll need to back up the original to an external drive first.

You won't be able to system transfer since you'll be replacing the Pro's drive with the drive that's currently in the PS4. External HD is the only way to backup. You can use the 1 TB that comes in the Pro as an external if you're keeping the PS4 for a while:

1) remove 1 TB from pro
2) put 1 TB in enclosure
3) Plug new 1 TB external into OG PS4 and backup
4) remove internal drive from OG PS4 and put in Pro
5) initialize drive on Pro with firmware from Sony site
6) connect the 1 TB external and restore backed up games.

so you are telling me that it is possible to restore data backupped from OG PS4 onto a Pro? Since I want to keep the OG PS4 for a while, I was thinking of transferring the data with an ethernet cable, then backup the Pro HDD, then swap HDDs, and restore the backup

Ragona

Infinite Warfare looks pretty sick on the pro. It doesnt seem to have HDR tho, does it?
Wonder if its difficult to implement HDR properly. Kinda hope we will see more and more games come with packed in HDR in the future.

PenguinRage

Neo Member
Hey everyone, I have a few questions here that I hope some of yall can assist me with. My apologies for the ignorance if some are "simple" and I skimmed through the entire thread and fixed what I could, but wanted to engage in conversation to ensure I am getting the correct set up.

My TV- sony xbr65x850b
My Amp- sony str-dh850

So I have had my Pro running through my PSVR, to my amp, which then outputs to the TV. I knew my TV did not have HDR, but I was suprised to see that it was not using HDCP 2.2. After reading through the thread, it looks like I cannot have the Pro connected to the PSVR box as it is not 2.2 compliant. Upon further investigation, it looks like my amp does not do 2.2 as well.... Now this is where it is odd. In settings on Pro, it says it is using 1.4, but when I go to Netflix, or YouTube, it says the content is at 4K, and when looking at the display on my tv's input, it is running at 3840x2160. Is my pro just upscaling, not using "native" 4K from these apps? Is this the same for games that do not have a Pro mode? I ask cause my TV always says it is displaying at this resolution.

Next, I have been suffering from a black screen flicker. This happens when I adjust the volume using the amp. This seems very odd, and I checked all the HDMI cables, and all are listed as High Speed, so not sure why this is happening. I am planning on connecting the Pro directly to a 2.2 compatible port on my TV, to fix the HDCP issue, and to see if the flickering stops. My assumption is that it will, and that the AMP is the issue, but not sure why as the amp has 4K passthrough. I also believe that once I connect the PS4 direct to TV, I can still have the amp use the audio return feature to still output 5.1 dolby/dts. Let me know if this is not true, but I believe I have done this in the past, just will need to adjust some settings.

Lastly, it is an annoyance having to swap HDMI to use PSVR. Has anyone confirmed that using a switcher will fix this? That when not using PSVR, it will still use HDCP 2.2 direct to TV without taking away any video quality? Then works fine with VR when set to use VR?

Thanks again everyone ahead of time for the responses!

GazzaGSi

Thinking of picking up Shadow of Mordor GOTY edition as it's on offer on NA PSN for $9.99 (fortunately my NA account got the $10). Anyone have any impressions of it?

Also tempted to add $20 for Dirt Rally but don't think that has Pro support?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Thinking of picking up Shadow of Mordor GOTY edition as it's on offer on NA PSN for $9.99 (fortunately my NA account got the $10). Anyone have any impressions of it?

Also tempted to add $20 for Dirt Rally but don't think that has Pro support?

iirc its native 4K but only 30fps

tmdorsey

So Gamestop is running a deal on trade ins today with an extra 50% for systems. I have two PS4s and I can trade the one in for roughly $180. Is the pro upgrade worth it for me if I have a 4K HDR tv?

Son of a bitch! I just traded in my PS4 this past Saturday! I wonder if I could go to store and ask for the difference?

Scrawnton

PS4 Pro bought along with the Cod Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition for $60!

(I was against paying $80 just to play Modern Warfare Remastered, but at $60 it feels like an easier pill to swallow)...

Mine just came and I installed a few games. Luckily I still have my old PS4 around and could do a direct comparisson.

HOLY CRISPNESS!

Tested Uncharted 4 and Rachet and the difference is huge. Being used now to AA from the PC the difference was immediately noticeable for me. Rachet is quite stunning. No more jaggies or flickering. I love that shit. No way I'm going back.

Actually thinking about getting a 4K TV now when the difference with 1080p is already this big.

Mine just came and I installed a few games. Luckily I still have my old PS4 around and could do a direct comparisson.

HOLY CRISPNESS!

Tested Uncharted 4 and Rachet and the difference is huge. Being used now to AA from the PC the difference was immediately noticeable for me. Rachet is quite stunning. No more jaggies or flickering. I love that shit. No way I'm going back.

Actually thinking about getting a 4K TV now when the difference with 1080p is already this big.

Yup. As soon as I played U4 on the ps4 pro, I ended up finally beat the game in one sitting.

xinek

Correct. HDMI cables are only rated by the bandwidth they are capable of reliably transmitting.
Ok, thanks for verifying that. It's surprisingly hard to get straightforward information on some of this stuff.

That's the million dollar question. The Pro's HDMI cable is assuredly rated at HDMI 2.0a support.

I'd guess it's something to do with a device in the HDMI chain. And this very well could be your TV, an AVR, or, most likely, the Pro itself.
I suspect the Pro. But why would changing the cable cause an HDCP issue? It's a mystery.

Quick question:

Does the PS4 Pro not accept a 4k/30hz signal? When I hooked up my Samsung monitor to it, it's HDMI ports are rated 4k/30 hz only, and the PS4 Pro regarded it as a 1080p signal.

Fortunately I have a Sony Bravia that has two available 4k/60hz inputs, so it's all good.

Just curious though.

Xinek: You might have the same problem? Is the HDMI port input rated at 60 hz? It seems the Pro won't take a 30 hz input. At least not at 2160p.

Hey guys so i have a 4k tv, that is used mainly for movies. I own a og ps4, that can be traded in for about $190, I also sold my spektrum dx6 which i don't use anymore for $120.

So i have $310 i can put towards a ps4 pro. I don't do a lot of gaming (the only games i currently own are TLOU, Division, and Vanilla Destiny). I do however subscribe to gamefly every few months to play games. The games i would like to play are Tomb Raider, Horizon, For honor, South Park, FF15, and anything that Naughty Dog releases.

Are you guys truly impressed by the pro? Is the image quality for pro games subtle, or is it a nice jump in quality? I could use this money to buy a xb1s, but i dont play MS exclusives anymore and it would only be used for movies, but i really dont have the space for another console.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is it pretty common for the home screen to lag a lot when you jump to it from a game? Getting crazy lag right now while hopping out of COD:IW and into home screen and can't identify the cause other than just that's how it is.

III-V

Quick question:

Does the PS4 Pro not accept a 4k/30hz signal? When I hooked up my Samsung monitor to it, it's HDMI ports are rated 4k/30 hz only, and the PS4 Pro regarded it as a 1080p signal.

Fortunately I have a Sony Bravia that has two available 4k/60hz inputs, so it's all good.

Just curious though.

Xinek: You might have the same problem? Is the HDMI port input rated at 60 hz? It seems the Pro won't take a 30 hz input. At least not at 2160p.

The PS4 Pro is a source, not a sink, so it has no inputs. The display has inputs and the Pro will not output 2160p @30Hz, only 60Hz.

HDMI 1.4 can accommodate 2160p at 30 Hz, so many early 4K TVs are stuck with this limitation.

Is it pretty common for the home screen to lag a lot when you jump to it from a game? Getting crazy lag right now while hopping out of COD:IW and into home screen and can't identify the cause other than just that's how it is.

I have not seen this, no.

Are you guys truly impressed by the pro? Is the image quality for pro games subtle, or is it a nice jump in quality

With PSVR or 4K with HDR, it's a pretty impressive jump. I think it's less impressive on my 1080p projector though.

King_Moc

Banned

Happens with me all the time. I assumed it was to do with the RAM they'd freed up.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thanks for checking! :) Then its something wrong with my PS4 for whatever reason. The problem is that it doesnt seem to be able to link to the NeoGAF database. I've tried to delete cache and everything, but the problem is still there. Here is what it looks like at my end. I had to manually enter the the url, i cant browse the threads:

http://i.imgur.com/BsV1WBH.jpg
Quoting myself here since i managed to fix this. I just deleted the cache again and all the cookies. Pretty sure that i tried to do the exact same thing on my previous PS4 without it helping, but now it works again on my PS4 Pro at least =)

That's a Bit Harsh, I bought this game for my kids and I ended up playing through it, its quite nice, smooth music and fun gameplay. It has a animation feel and quality to it.

I recommend it.
I agree. Its really not that bad game. Maybe it can be a bit boring (completely subjective of course), but calling it a piece of trash is hyberbole, in my opinion.

Tarkus

My graphics-loving, framerate-loving ass just turned down watch dogs 2 and infamous second son in favor of GTAV (my wife hasn't seen it) and Witcher 3. WTF is wrong with me?

III-V

Well this seems like a big deal then right? People thinking they have a 4k TV but if it has no 60 hz input they'll just be getting a 1080p signal.

It seems even more complicated than that, as some older models with HDMI 1.4 are still working... so it's not as cut and dry as one would hope. Some of the older displays were able to get firmware updates to accept the higher bandwidth signals. Right now, if you have an older 4K display, it's seems like it's a bit YMMV.

I had a problem where when you start a new game, the opening cinematic would stutter in spots. It wasn't always the same point, but it would stutter a bunch of times right before you got to the first actual playable part of the game. It didn't do that on my OG PS4, but 100% of the time would on the Pro. It was like it was trying to load off the disc but couldn't fast enough. You could hear the drive going too and it would happen even with or without the Pro patch installed. Once the OS update happened, I could no longer make it happen.

hey Marty Chinn,
i was able to replicate a crash.
here's the details the best i can explain:
i did some more re-downloading and remember Watch Dogs1 was a game that crashed when i first installed. i deleted all data of watchdogs (except save files) and Evil Within, and re-started to download both games and patches at the same time while Watch Dog's is booted up for the first time.

once in the game menu, Watch Dogs 1 prevents you from continuing with your save file until the game installation is completed, (showing the installation progress at the bottom of the title screen.) while installing is around 50%, the Additional DLC of watch dogs began to quere and start in the download manager. (multiple downloads are hogging the HDD usage in the background while in game it's installing at the same time) once it reached a 100% i was able to load a continue as just as last time a booted initially the game crashed.
when loading the save file, the drive sound like it's spinning then stopping spinning and stopping aggressively like it's choking on a disc.

GRgV0Y5.jpg

what happens is after my game loads he get a phone call but the dialogue is delayed for about a minute. and then the game crashes with the above screen.

the ps4 then spits out the disc involuntarily and once you remove and insert it again, it boots up fine as the last time.

my conclusion is: it's the Os and HDD not begin able to handle installation and demanding game while multi tasking background downloads very well. i believe it's more an issue of resources than a hardware reading failure as i had with my ps2.

if you have watch dogs and evil within let me know if you can replicate the crash.

Whoyouare

Hopefully someone can help me. Just bought a PS4 pro. Moved out original PS4 into our bedroom. I sign in to Playstation PS4 pro to play destiny. My wife goes into our bedroom and turns on the old PS4 to watch netflix. This signs me out. How do we use both systems at once?

My graphics-loving, framerate-loving ass just turned down watch dogs 2 and infamous second son in favor of GTAV (my wife hasn't seen it) and Witcher 3. WTF is wrong with me?
Those are amazing games. You'll be OK.

It's such a shame that The Witcher 3 didn't get a Pro patch, especially since they're trying to move the GOTY edition at the moment, and the game never sold anywhere near what it should have (given I think it's the best game on the system). I really think they would've moved a lot of units to people who wouldn't normally even consider an RPG if they'd added a Pro patch.

Hopefully someone can help me. Just bought a PS4 pro. Moved out original PS4 into our bedroom. I sign in to Playstation PS4 pro to play destiny. My wife goes into our bedroom and turns on the old PS4 to watch netflix. This signs me out. How do we use both systems at once?
Make another account on one of the machines.

HOLY CRISPNESS!

Same here. As a PSVR owner I took the Pro plunge without having a 4K TV and the difference in IQ in games like Uncharted 4 and Titanfall 2 has been far beyond my expectations. As a bonus it's so nice to play games without having my PS4 sound like it's going to take off like a jet plane!

damn i think im going to get a pro. the trade in for $190 ends tomorrow. you also get the destiny collector edition with all the dlc including rise of iron. I think i can sell that on craigslist for another $20-30.

Shin-Ra

I did a little comparison of BOUND on PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Plastic's actually improved some of the scene decoration since launch so I had to re-take the base PS4 shots to match the latest patch.

31151203036_c3f03eb639_o.png

31151204086_6f1e7b83f0_o.png

31151204526_be67e4229f_o.png

31043715682_7201421ccd_o.png

31043715932_af538b01fe_o.png

31043716462_37c29f803b_o.png

BOUNDcomp.gif

Afrikan

Has the YouTube app been updated yet to support 4K on the Pro?
Everytime I load up this HDR enabled video it seems to only go as far as HD and never higher.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO01J-M3g0U

Youtube 4K works on pro... I'm not sure about HDR.

what's weird is, I'm not sure if Youtube app on my LG C6 displays 4K.

it says HD on my C6 Youtube app, for videos that are 4K. When I use my Pro, they say 4K.

they still look amazing on the LG Youtube app, so I'm not sure if it's not a software issue where it just says HD, instead of 4K.

When it comers to super sampling on a 1080p set, your mileage will vary. Games that have poor AA solutions on base PS4 will have a tremendous image quality boost when super sampling occurs via the Pro. Bound already had nice IQ so super sampling won't be as impactful.

Ultimately, though - I can't comment. My Pro has been hooked up to a 4k tv this whole time, so I haven't seen super sampling in the flesh.

Traded in my PS4 two days ago for a pro and I have had nothing but frustrations with it. First i have a late 2015 model KD55X8000C Sony TV that is 4K and HDR compliant. The PRO did not want to display in 4K RGB and said HDR was not supported by my TV. Did a google and found that you needed to adjust the hdmi input to "enhanced" so it could display RGB and HDR. I did that and while it now displays in the highest resolution it still says HDR is not supported. I have tried everything.... moving to another 2 ports without success and kicking around with every th setting I could find that could possibly be related to HDR.

The thing is, I have seen some people have the issue where it says HDR is not fully supported like "can only display in 2k" or something to that effect but mine just flat out says unsupported. I tried infamous second son and the settings confirm that HDR is unsupported while in game as well.

Anyone have any possible fixes for me to try with the Sony TV or am I SOL until Sony fixes this?

from flatpanel "The most significant change is support for HDR (high dynamic range), which Sony promised at IFA. This means that the TVs can now receive and process content in HDR, however, only via USB at the moment. A later update will make it possible to stream HDR from Amazon, too. Netflix will launch HDR content early next year. The HDR effect will depend on your TV model."

Has the YouTube app been updated yet to support 4K on the Pro?
Everytime I load up this HDR enabled video it seems to only go as far as HD and never higher.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO01J-M3g0U

You might have to turn on something called HDMI Enhance On. Well, that's what it's called on my Bravia.

If I don't turn this feature on with my Bravia, what happens is the signal will drop down from 4k to 1080p anytime I watch something with HDR enabled. Only when I turn enhanced HDMI on can I view HDR content at 4k. Maybe your TV has some equivalent setting. On LG's I think it's called HDMI deep color or some shit.

Kyoufu

Youtube 4K works on pro... I'm not sure about HDR.

what's weird is, I'm not sure if Youtube app on my LG C6 displays 4K.

it says HD on my C6 Youtube app, for videos that are 4K. When I use my Pro, they say 4K.

they still look amazing on the LG Youtube app, so I'm not sure if it's not a software issue where it just says HD, instead of 4K.

Not even on the 4K section in menu on the left?

Top Bottom