• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Peterthumpa

So, for people with the original PS4 and 1080p TVs still on the fence about how the Pro would look, try Tearaway Unfolded. It has 4XMSAA (AFAIK) and an extra post process AA solution and it looks clean as fuck even in the original PS4. That's the kind of IQ you should expect with an upgrade.

AmyS

Youtube 4K works on pro... I'm not sure about HDR.

what's weird is, I'm not sure if Youtube app on my LG C6 displays 4K.

it says HD on my C6 Youtube app, for videos that are 4K. When I use my Pro, they say 4K.

they still look amazing on the LG Youtube app, so I'm not sure if it's not a software issue where it just says HD, instead of 4K.

Yeah this is one of the most confusing things for me, with my Samsung and its Youtube app vs using PS4 Pro and its Youtube app. I'll use my laptop to find videos for either the TV's app or the PS4 Pro's app while signed in (to avoid using the slower Youtube TV. I can't seem to figure out how to get a 4K video to display at 4K because I can't change the settings to 4K unless I use the laptop.

Humdinger

Are you guys truly impressed by the pro? Is the image quality for pro games subtle, or is it a nice jump in quality?

Lots of impressions posted in this thread. I'd say the majority are positive, with some being disappointed. YMMV based on TV type, size, sensitivity to image quality, etc. Imo, it's worth it (I'm on 1080p).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That's great n' all, but those games haven't been patched for Pro. So you're playing them at 1080p.

?
Darksiders 1 has built-in Pro support. Hitman was patched.

So, for people with the original PS4 and 1080p TVs still on the fence about how the Pro would look, try Tearaway Unfolded. It has 4XMSAA (AFAIK) and an extra post process AA solution and it looks clean as fuck even in the original PS4. That's the kind of IQ you should expect with an upgrade.

That's really underselling Pro. MSAA only affects edges. Supersampling cleans up everything

Poona

Disappointing I had to trade in my original PS4 to get the PS4 pro as the backup I did didn't actually back all things up that it said it was going to.

Only got PT, saved games and settings backed up. Upon restoring the backup to the pro I find that it didn't save any of my screenshots or videos which really annoyed me. :(

Oh and I find I'm still losing connection to the PS store and trophies, etc from loading. Still have to restart the system or do an internet connection test to regain connectivity.

Good to be without the disc ejecting whenever it felt like it though.

Dalto11

Picked up my PS4 Pro today for "free" from Gamestop. managed to get $218 (should have been $225 but I won't split hairs) and the rest out of duplicates. Thank god for 50% trade in credit. Now to get a 4K TV, but honestly the difference on my 1080p set with The Last of Us Remastered and the difference in The Playroom VR is enough to have justified my purchase.

AmyS

Whoa, I just tried Ratchet & Clank on the Pro, my TV automatically switched to HDR. It looks quite a lot better and I'm wondering if the native resolution was ever revealed for the patched version -- 1440p, 1600p, 1800p?

Just went and purchased an LG B6 tonight and will be trading in my ps4 + other things towards a PS4 Pro. I can't wait to boot up Ratchet & Clank :O

I'm in a state of confusion as to whether to trade in my only 4 month old PS4 for a Pro. I have a 4K TV and a good amp so I'm tempted but I've also read a few mixed opinions on here as to whether it's really worth it. Advice is appreciated as to how much difference it will make. I feel like I'm missing out a little but not sure whether I should just wait a while and see how it all pans out.

It's worth it even if you have a 1080p tv for the SS AA alone but if you have a 4k tv it's ABSOLUTELY worth it.

Just went and purchased an LG B6 tonight and will be trading in my ps4 + other things towards a PS4 Pro. I can't wait to boot up Ratchet & Clank :O

I did the same. Got the c6p. Three days later I finally got the tv calibrated the way i like it. Use these link to give you a baseline settings to which you can tinker off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVnnoqNkqxw&t=105s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4cpwUj-UP8&t=26s

I know it's only but Uncharted 4 on this set and the PRO in hdr looks sublime.

Humdinger

What's the story with the $10 code? I got one and thought it was a scam or something.

No scam. They're just giving $10 away to people who bought the Pro (or maybe the Slim, too, I dunno). It's not everyone, apparently, just some. I got one. You have to enter the code by the end of the month or it'll expire.

With PSVR or 4K with HDR, it's a pretty impressive jump. I think it's less impressive on my 1080p projector though.

Surprised to hear this. I am loving the Pro on my 1080p projector. At 100" you lose some image quality but with the Pro I'm seeing such a sharp image now that I never thought I'd see until next gen. Ratchet and BF1 look stellar.

poodpick

Has anyone tried watching a blu ray yet? How's the disc noise? My drive makes more sound than I would like and I only have a couple days to exchange

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So I was going to be there day 1, but then news of some games having better IQ but slightly worse performance compared to their OG PS4 counterparts dissuaded me.

How widespread is this? I'm very sensitive to framerates.

Formosa

Got the $10 on ps store and bought a 4K dynamic theme. Good music, but the buttons are not so great. How come there are only two 4K themes available?

Lady Gaia

Just to reaffirm not every game supports 4k Checkerboarding right? Like BF1 will just be 1080p even with a 4k tv?

Battlefield 1 uses a dynamic resolution approach definitely scales to resolutions above 1080p. I've seen claims that it uses checkerboard rendering, and of resolutions up around 1656p.

i traded in my ps4 with an extra controller that had the rubber peeled off. They gave me 187.50 for the console, and 36.75 for the controller. They also gave me a free copy of Destiny the collection which comes with all the expansions including rise of iron. Hooking up my pro now. Going to update UC4 and see how it goes.

Is trading it in really worth it? Got like 220 from selling in Craig's list. Seems you would get a lot less from a trade in...

in my area i saw 4 postings for a ps4 with a controller for $150, so i decided to trade it in before the deal ends. I also got a free copy of Destiny the collection. retail is 49.99, i plan to sell it for $30.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
in my area i saw 4 postings for a ps4 with a controller for $150, so i decided to trade it in before the deal ends. I also got a free copy of Destiny the collection. retail is 49.99, i plan to sell it for $30.

K, worth it in that case. I sold my ps4 when I heard the announcement the pro was coming too.

K, worth it in that case. I sold my ps4 when I heard the announcement the pro was coming too.

honestly, i wasn't planning to get the pro since i watch more movies in my free time than i do gaming. I was hoping that the pro would have a uhd drive, but when it was announced that it didn't i was bummed. I enjoy ps exclusives, so i figured why not play them at the best PQ possible. If the pro would of had a uhd drive, i would of sold my ps4 back then too.

hey Marty Chinn,
i was able to replicate a crash.
here's the details the best i can explain:
i did some more re-downloading and remember Watch Dogs1 was a game that crashed when i first installed. i deleted all data of watchdogs (except save files) and Evil Within, and re-started to download both games and patches at the same time while Watch Dog's is booted up for the first time.

once in the game menu, Watch Dogs 1 prevents you from continuing with your save file until the game installation is completed, (showing the installation progress at the bottom of the title screen.) while installing is around 50%, the Additional DLC of watch dogs began to quere and start in the download manager. (multiple downloads are hogging the HDD usage in the background while in game it's installing at the same time) once it reached a 100% i was able to load a continue as just as last time a booted initially the game crashed.
when loading the save file, the drive sound like it's spinning then stopping spinning and stopping aggressively like it's choking on a disc.

what happens is after my game loads he get a phone call but the dialogue is delayed for about a minute. and then the game crashes with the above screen.

the ps4 then spits out the disc involuntarily and once you remove and insert it again, it boots up fine as the last time.

my conclusion is: it's the Os and HDD not begin able to handle installation and demanding game while multi tasking background downloads very well. i believe it's more an issue of resources than a hardware reading failure as i had with my ps2.

if you have watch dogs and evil within let me know if you can replicate the crash.

update 2:

i deleted watch dogs data and tried again without any background downloading. and yep... first boot into continue from a saved game crashed. this time it crashed after ejecting the disc and re-inserting, afterwards it worked.
hmmm i hear the disc spin and stop spin and stop while it was loading both times and it crashed. i might have to exchange mine afterall. unless it's just watchdogs itself.

Just popped in Titanfall 2 for the first time on my Pro connected to 65" KS8000 and man, this game is clean! Image is sharp, clear and a definite step up over base PS4. I am impressed!

update 2:

i deleted watch dogs data and tried again without any background downloading. and yep... first boot into continue from a saved game crashed. this time it crashed after ejecting the disc and re-inserting, afterwards it worked.
hmmm i hear the disc spin and stop spin and stop while it was loading both times and it crashed. i might have to exchange mine afterall. unless it's just watchdogs itself.

I'm trying out Watch Dogs now. It's currently installing.

let me know if your disc is stopping and spinning after hitting continue on that loading screen.

i'm deleting and installing again myself.

It finished installing. The game finally loaded now too. Man were the load times always this long? It felt like several minutes to get into the game. It's been too long since I last played it. No crashing, but the disc sounds like it's still spinning.

It finished installing. The game finally loaded now too. Man were the load times always this long? It felt like several minutes to get into the game. It's been too long since I last played it. No crashing, but the disc sounds like it's still spinning.
mine keeps crashing more often now that this is my 4th installation. i took a microfiber cloth to wipe the disc in case. no luck still crashing.
i'm going to definitely swap systems tomorrow.

mine keeps crashing more often now that this is my 4th installation. i took a microfiber cloth to wipe the disc in case. no luck still crashing.
i'm going to definitely systems tomorrow.

Just to be sure I did the steps right...

1) Game currently was not installed
2) Pop the disc in to install
3) Sit at the menu screen until the install percent hits 100%
4) Select Continue

Did I do it right?

Just to be sure I did the steps right...

1) Game currently was not installed
2) Pop the disc in to install
3) Sit at the menu screen until the install percent hits 100%
4) Select Continue

Did I do it right?

yeah!

i had no problems at first but it looks like it's getting pretty funky on me =)

edit: i'm reading online it seems that plp had similar issues with watchdogs 1 and regular ps4. to solve the crashes they had to rebuild their HDD database to get it to work. i think maybe installing it so many times corrupted my drive...

update:
ok i rebuilt my database and the system said it was corrupt and the system restarted to do it all over again. took about 5 minutes and just installed watchdogs no crashes. so far so good.

Crumpo

After tons of time spent calibrating my new tv, I took the HDR pro games I had for a spin.

Uncharted looked really good, in some places it was very clean. I only played the intro so I won't see the beach bits for a while, but I noticed the performance was about the same as the base ps4, which was good.

TLOU I was really excited for but in the intro it just looked clean and I didnt notice the additional contrast that HDR provided. The ps3 models do look a bit dated now...

First Light was probably my favourite, the world already looked great but HDR really works well here-the effect when standing next to a big neon sign is really impressive!

I have COD on the way and hoping to pick up TF2 this weekend and maybe ratchet if it goes on sale; are there any other "must try" games at the moment?

Ovek

7Member7
After tons of time spent calibrating my new tv, I took the HDR pro games I had for a spin.

Uncharted looked really good, in some places it was very clean. I only played the intro so I won't see the beach bits for a while, but I noticed the performance was about the same as the base ps4, which was good.

TLOU I was really excited for but in the intro it just looked clean and I didnt notice the additional contrast that HDR provided. The ps3 models do look a bit dated now...

First Light was probably my favourite, the world already looked great but HDR really works well here-the effect when standing next to a big neon sign is really impressive!

I have COD on the way and hoping to pick up TF2 this weekend and maybe ratchet if it goes on sale; are there any other "must try" games at the moment?

I think you have pretty much covered all your bases here. Some other people might have a few other suggestions though.

OsirisBlack

Banned
So I was going to be there day 1, but then news of some games having better IQ but slightly worse performance compared to their OG PS4 counterparts dissuaded me.

How widespread is this? I'm very sensitive to framerates.

Its actually not a thing I think every game that had worse performance has been patched and now runs better than the OG versions of the games. Specifically WD2 and Deus ex which were supposedly the worst offenders. The last of us has one mode that runs worse and one that runs perfectly cannot remember which I think its the 60 fps mode that runs a bit worse but that is also being patched.

Top Bottom