• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Audioboxer

Yes they've redesigned the base of the Slim and Pro, they now have more feet!

PS4-Slim-bottom.jpg

Dat stability.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Does there have to be a point? If the game runs without compromises on PS4 then it won't need to change on Pro. That still meets the new certification criteria as leaked, presuming it was already 1080p.

How is 1080p with no AA "without compromises" on a console aimed at 4K TV owners?

III-V

No games support 10 bit or 12 bit wide colour gamut so 8bit might be the correct setting.

Games are sending data in the Rec2020 colorspace, and there may be a few who are using colors outside of the original Rec709 color space.

Wether or not the games support it is almost a moot point as the Pro and TV EDID currently determines what the chroma subsampling and bit rate will be.

Force 2160p YUV420 limited for the safest bet during HDR, as this matches the bit depth and color subsampling of UHD Blu-rays.

You do not want 8-bits for HDR, this is the fastest way to see color banding and luminance grading.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I got to play for a couple of hours last night after my data transfer finished. I'm super impressed so far. Played some Ratchet and Clank first as I read that was one of the most notable bumps, even on 1080p. It was definitely very impressive, super clear and crisp.

Then I went back to Final Fantasy XV and was probably even more impressed by how much better that looked. I'm not sensitive to frame pacing (knocks on wood) so I've played on high so far and really enjoying how much sharper everything is compared to the OG PS4.

It's also MUCH quieter during FFXV than my old PS4 was--which is good as that was my main driver to upgrade. The old one hadn't been that noisy before so I worry it's on it's last legs.

Audioboxer

So I just got a PS4 pro and im looking to get a decent 4k tv as cheap as possible, ive found this

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5395851

Is it any good?

What is your absolute maximum budget? With a figure to work to we can probably do better to narrow down your options. That TV will probably be fairly decent, but if it is just cheap 4K you are after trying to get a bigger set than 40" will probably be advisable. Unless of course you have space restrictions.

Hence why some more info from you would be better. Max budget and preferred TV size.

F311

What is your absolute maximum budget? With a figure to work to we can probably do better to narrow down your options. That TV will probably be fairly decent, but if it is just cheap 4K you are after trying to get a bigger set than 40" will probably be advisable. Unless of course you have space restrictions.

Hence why some more info from you would be better. Max budget and preferred TV size.

Well I am sat quite close so size isnt really that big of an issue, id much prefer image quality over size, £450 is probably my budget if i were to go buy one today which im thinking of doing, I just dont get all these fancy sayings, UHD, 4k UHD PREMIUM, HDR etc, I was just more curious if that tv would cover me for this gen and it wasnt some sort of cheap/fake hdr/4k

Well I am sat quite close so size isnt really that big of an issue, id much prefer image quality over size, £450 is probably my budget if i were to go buy one today which im thinking of doing, I just dont get all these fancy sayings, UHD, 4k UHD PREMIUM, HDR etc, I was just more curious if that tv would cover me for this gen and it wasnt some sort of cheap/fake hdr/4k

Well it's an 8 bit panel so not top spec HDR, but then when you start looking at those you are looking at a lot of cash.

http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/4b0a47e

Also £450 for 43" model here

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...t-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-43-led-tv-10145700-pdt.html

as they offer 10% off at checkout.

Audioboxer

Well it's an 8 bit panel so not top spec HDR, but then when you start looking at those you are looking at a lot of cash.

http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/4b0a47e

Also £450 for 43" model here

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...t-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-43-led-tv-10145700-pdt.html

as they offer 10% off at checkout.

Yeah that size will be okay for you then. Going bigger on this budget will sacrifice PQ. You could get 50~55" Chinese brands like Hisense for around £450.

As AT just found that 43" model is a good shout for a bit more real estate.

You can also go cheaper with brand name, an LG 43" here for £369 - http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/43"-4k-smart-tv/lg-43uh603v

Yeah I just saw, I cant get home delivery and they dont allow the checkout code because you pay in store :(

Damn I'd try contacting their customer support line and ask them if they could process the discount

Do you have a Richer Sounds close to you, they also have the 40" slightly cheaper

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40ku6000/sams-ue40ku6000

Or if you could get it the model up is even cheaper with bluetooth too

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40ku6020/sams-ue40ku6020

F311

I just tried phoning them they said it only works on home delivery.

I can't get home delivery because I'm
In work till Sunday now and our neighbours are cunts.
And there's no richer sounds close by, only Argos and pc world.

As a 1080p set owner I'm kind of regretting the purchase. The improvements are so minor. I was expecting to see a larger influx of patch news with perks beyond just resolution/super sampling but actually increasing the texture quality, AF etc.

It seems like developers are just opting to put resolution up and call it a day and maybe super sample.

breakfuss

Gotta say I'm super pissed I can't play FFXV in high res mode. I tried to ignore the framerate stuff - hell, I didn't even know what "pacing" was before last week - but it's super noticeable especially when compared to the lite mode. FFXV is one of the reasons I upgraded to a Pro.

And honestly given the way the game performs now I absolutely do not believe they'll reach 60 with the impending patch. Not happening.

That said it is still beautiful to look at. Lighting is incredible but honestly the regular/slim variants can push out the same. Sigh. I have a love/hate situation with this game for a myriad of reasons.

Audioboxer

I just tried phoning them they said it only works on home delivery.

I can't get home delivery because I'm
In work till Sunday now and our neighbours are cunts.
And there's no richer sounds close by, only Argos and pc world.

Your local Currys? That's nonsense. My local Currys prices up with online offers and codes just fine. As long as they have the device in stock.

Dumb question probably but I cant find a specific answer to this on google. Is there any setting you have to fiddle with to enable supersampling in games that support it? Or is it automatic?

As a 1080p set owner I'm kind of regretting the purchase. The improvements are so minor. I was expecting to see a larger influx of patch news with perks beyond just resolution/super sampling but actually increasing the texture quality, AF etc.

It seems like developers are just opting to put resolution up and call it a day and maybe super sample.

As someone who plans to own one eventually, I think we'll be better able to judge it based on titles that come out post release rather than retroactive upgrades.

shingi70

Banned
So if you don't have a PS4 it's probably best to just get the pro? My girlfriend has a 4K TV and I just have a decent sized 1080p (nothing so current). Really interested in the upgrades to 1080p and the 1tb HDD.

Just got my PS4 Pro. Tried to tell myself I didn't want one, as a certainly don't need one but since moving PSVR to another room and still wanting a PS4 in the room it was originally in I caved when I saw a 20% off deal.

eastx

So if you don't have a PS4 it's probably best to just get the pro? My girlfriend has a 4K TV and I just have a decent sized 1080p (nothing so current). Really interested in the upgrades to 1080p and the 1tb HDD.

Yes, you're much better off futureproofing by getting the Pro.

Yeah, I cant help but feel the same. Only the pixel counters will notice a difference or if you have maybe both the regular and the Pro side by side. At a glance, or even a few hours play I cant really tell a huge difference and much of it feels like it could be a placebo effect. BF1's frame rate is more stable but is that worth $400? Im having a hard time justifying it.

I have a 4k HDR TV on its way so hopefully my opinion changes but at this point. I would say its not worth it.

Lady Gaia

How is 1080p with no AA "without compromises" on a console aimed at 4K TV owners?

Not every port of an older title is a remaster. Sometimes the goal is a pixel-for-pixel reproduction of the original release. Sony shouldn't take the role of second-guessing the developer's intent when approving titles, just doing what they can to ensure releases work as intended.

HeeHo

What is the exact name of the 2TB firecuda hard drive that everyone is getting for their Pro?

I have Amazon gift cards and I'm wondering if I should get a new hard drive or buy The Last Guardian.

MastAndo

Think we're likely to see some holiday sales/bundles on the PS4 Pro, similar to the deals available here and there on Black Friday? Tempted to pull the trigger once a deal pops up...

Humdinger

Yeah, no brainer. Get the Pro.

Yeah, I cant help but feel the same. Only the pixel counters will notice a difference or if you have maybe both the regular and the Pro side by side. At a glance, or even a few hours play I cant really tell a huge difference and much of it feels like it could be a placebo effect. BF1's frame rate is more stable but is that worth $400? Im having a hard time justifying it.

Not true, I'm no pixel counter, and I readily see significant differences The Pro is well worth it to me, especially considering the next 3 - 4 years of games. Not to mention all the other little bells and whistles that come with the console. I'm a happy Pro owner at 1080p (although all the praise for 4K/HDR and game announcements has me considering upgrading my TV, too). As always YMMV depending on factors that have been mentioned many times already.

It's not $400 to upgrade. It's $250 if you're trading in, $100 - $150 if you're comparing to Slim.

I have to disagree, i own a 1080p set myself and had a OG PS4 and the difference in Pro Enabled games is very noticeable to me. The games i own that are pro enabled are.

Shadow of Mordor
Ratchet and Clank
Hitman
Skyrim
Last of Us
Watch Dogs 2
Rise of The Tomb Raider

The only games i didn't play on Pro were Hitman and Watch Dogs 2, all of the other games have a very noticeable bump in IQ compared to playing them on a regular PS4. It's even more telling once you play TLOU on patch 1.07 then play it on 1.08.

I do not regret the purchase at all.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed. I can really tell a difference in Ratchet and Clank and FFXV on my 1080p TV.

I'm sure future games like Horizon will be even more noticeable based on what they've shown already.

If I have my old ps4 and the ps4 pro, and do the transfer via ethernet, does the system use a lot of bandwidth or downloads?

I ask because I'm getting mine when I will have broadband access, but it's very limited. Limited like 200mb per day.

Will I be able to do the transfer without using a ton of data? I might even be able to connect the ps4 using 4g lte if it doesn't do much.

Mezoly

I have a 4k HDR TV on its way so hopefully my opinion changes but at this point. I would say its not worth it.

I was in the same situation as you. I had a 1080p tv and was not impressed. Once my 4k hdr tv arrived I was really impressed.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If I have my old ps4 and the ps4 pro, and do the transfer via ethernet, does the system use a lot of bandwidth or downloads?

I ask because I'm getting mine when I will have broadband access, but it's very limited. Limited like 200mb per day.

Will I be able to do the transfer without using a ton of data? I might even be able to connect the ps4 using 4g lte if it doesn't do much.

The transfer doesn't use internet at all to move data, just have to be able to sign into PS4 to start the process and make the Pro your primary PS4 etc.

Then you hook the two consoles to each other via ethernet cable. Make sure you have a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable to speed it up, I had used a crappy old Cat5 cable and it took 11 hours to move a bit under 500GB yesterday.

AndyD

aka andydumi

I dont believe it moves anything over the internet, but it does need to be logged into the network. It's all transferred locally.

Kalentan

So my TV finally got updated and I decided to finally try out the HDR everyone's going on about. So I disconnected my PSVR processor and even noticed that my TV finally support 2160p - RGB now! Or maybe it always did but the Processor didn't show it.

Anyway- so I load up Elder Scrolls Online and I'm not entirely sure what to think thus far. The colors seem to pop out a bit more and the dark's are well, darker and there almost seems to be a layer of motion blur that wasn't there before? Like when I move it almost seems smoother than before despite it still being 30 fps.

Is there any way to like... disable HDR quickly and so I can just switch back and forth to see the changes?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just setting up my pro and lining games up to download overnight and while I'm at work tomorrow.

-uncharted 4
- TLOU
- rise of the tomb raider
- the witness
- the last guardian

Not a bad list to start with. Dread to think how many GB that'll be. Have ratchet and clank but might wait to download that. Already finished most of them (ratchet and clank and TR 100%) but looking forward to trying them out in 4K HDR

My pro disk drive is really loud, is this normal? It sounds like a loud fan but also the lens moving is even louder. Moved to all digital besides dying light so not a big issue but I want to make sure it won't crap out at some point.

tootie923

Anyone having a problem playing Blu-ray movies on the Pro? I tried several perfect condition discs and it gives me error CE-30022-7. The name of the disc appears in the PS4 menu. I set it to allow Blu-rays to connect to the Internet and the same thing happened.

These same movies work fine on my original Xbox One 500 GB and PS3 (which was my primary BD player for a long time). Also, I have no problem installing and playing PS4 disc games.

Setup is Samsung KS8000 and Yamaha RX-V581 receiver.

The transfer doesn't use internet at all to move data, just have to be able to sign into PS4 to start the process and make the Pro your primary PS4 etc.

Then you hook the two consoles to each other via ethernet cable. Make sure you have a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable to speed it up, I had used a crappy old Cat5 cable and it took 11 hours to move a bit under 500GB yesterday.

I dont believe it moves anything over the internet, but it does need to be logged into the network. It's all transferred locally.

Cool, Thanks. Getting mine christmas morning. I've been up and down on it but It's been fun having to wait for it. And I'll be able to see the difference in FF15 hopefully.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I've been having to share space with two boxed PS4 Pros for a week now. Jumped on one deal too soon, 'cause it was followed by another better deal shortly thereafter. Now I'm trying to get rid of the first through the labyrinth of fun that is Craigslist. This thing haunts me. My... ugly mistake.

After that, it's just a wait for Christmas to smooth out all the technicalities.

legbone

Well, we're rolling folks. My Firecuda (what a name) 2tb sshd came today. I slapped it in my pro and it is currently installing the update file. Boy, all those black screens and that searching "circle" or whatever it said scared the shit out of me. Next I have to move my data from my og ps4 to the pro. I deleted a bunch of stuff off of the drive to get it to either 600 or 800 gb (was at 1.6 tb). Then I'll test the new wifi in this baby by downloading a bunch of crap that i want back for now. i will say, one thing this has made me do is delete games off of the hard drive that i know i either won't play again or won't play again any time soon. once that is all said and done, i just have to wait for my 4k set to show up friday. i'm prone to anxiety and this process has had me worried for a couple of days. but i am now a member of the pro club. now i hope getting the thing to put out 4k and hdr to my tv is as simple (ks9000 on the way, heard it's simple with it because all ports do 2.2). well, the update has installed. later folks, and thanks to all of those that gave advice or answered questions.

edit: well, it says there was 386 gb on the old ps4. either i misremembered (very possible at my age) or i've lost a bunch of shit. oh well, i have a 200 meg dl cable connection and a really long ass cat 5e cable (wish my cat 6 cables were as long) to download stuff with. anyway, 386 gb is taking 3 hours. sheesh. guess i'll be able to relax with some steep (such a relaxing game) around midnight. may have to call in sick tomorrow. patrick, if you are reading this, i'm kidding. or call in too and we'll play something coop. heh heh.

edit2: well, something broke loose, it went from 3 hours remaining to 105 minutes in the past 5 minutes or so. maybe be skiing sooner than i thought.

Top Bottom