• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Seriously? I thought all games from (roughly) October forward were required to have Pro support?

You're not allowed to release a game that runs at under 1080p on Pro. That's basically it.
UMvC already ran at 1080p on regular PS4. There are zero improvements on Pro, which is especially awful in this case because the game has no AA.

Codiox

How do you enable these pro patches? I played Titanfall 2 on a ps4 pro on a 1080p TV and couldnt tell the difference. Do you have to download a separate patch or turn it on in the options??

Im really confused.

How do you enable these pro patches? I played Titanfall 2 on a ps4 pro on a 1080p TV and couldnt tell the difference. Do you have to download a separate patch or turn it on in the options??

Im really confused.
For a lot of games there are no options in the settings to switch between Base and Pro mode. For those games, if you're running them on a Pro, the game automatically switches the setting to Pro Mode.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Im really confused.

It's automatic. If you want to see the IQ difference without depending on your memory then switch between 30fps and unlocked (1080p, improved framerate) modes in Infamous: Second Son or Infamous: First Light. If you can't see the IQ difference there then I don't know what to tell you.

III-V

I'll try ths when I get home, but it makes no sense for the RGB setting to display YUV...

The Pro will switch to from RGB to YUV limited no matter what you have set in the Pro video output settings when a game outputs HDR.

As far as the available chroma, it can be 10-12 bit 422 or 420 and some users with HDMI EDID issues can see 8-bit 422, at which point forcing YUV 420 results in proper 10-bit output.

Guessing it's automatic as I can't find anything in Settings, but: Does the Pro automatically switch controller input over to the cable when it's plugged in, or is this an option that needs to be changed somewhere?

The Pro will switch to from RGB to YUV limited no matter what you have set in the Pro video output settings when a game outputs HDR.

As far as the available chroma, it can be 10-12 bit 422 or 420 and some users with HDMI EDID issues can see 8-bit 422, at which point forcing YUV 420 results in proper 10-bit output.

So, with my 12bit panel, I should set it to RGB and HDR on? That way when it adjusts to YUV I get 12 bit instead of 10?

Shoyz

They really need to put bigger warnings on the transfer screen that a system transfer will wipe all the newly created saves from the target system. I was in a rush to transfer my old PS4's data that just sold (mainly for PT) and lost my 10 hour FFXV save, blegh!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Im about to get me some pro, my tv is 4k but doesnt have hdr, hope its worth it!

I'm in the same boat as you. It's definitely worth it when you see games with pristine IQ that goes beyond regular 1080p.

Your choice of old games with updated visuals will be limited, but at least you'll be future proofing yourself.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
You should be able to find out the speed of your cables as they should all carry a CATegory rating on them, like this one does.

The speed of your transfer suggests that you may actually be using an older Cat 3 cable which is really slow. If you were using a higher rated cable, such as Cat 5e or Cat 6 then the maximum speeds are up to 100x what you'd get on a Cat 3 cable.

If you are actually using a standard Cat 5, as you say, then even that would be 10x the speed of Cat 3 cable but it's still only 10% of the maximum speed on higher rated cables.

I suppose it's one of those live and learn things for you, at least you'll know to check next time. I do keep mentioning the higher rated Ethernet cables on here for people doing this but I suppose it just gets lost under all the Pro info on here. :)

It's a Cat 5 as far as I can tell. It's an old shitty foxconn cable that doesn't have the CAT on it, but came up as cat 5 when I googled the other numbers etc. printed on the cable (FOXCONN E204149 (UL) TYPE CM 75oC STP 26 AWG 2PAIRS PATCH CABLE).

I did find a shorter Cat5 E in my closet that I'll swap it out for when it's done so I can get rid of that old crappy cable. That's actually the one I had on my PS4 since moving last month. I forgot I opted not to unhook the one from the Tivo earlier in case my fiancé got home and wanted to watch something on the Tivo Mini. All other cables at the router are 5e or 6's so just shit look on my part of having used a crappy one today and for the PS4 after moving.

No point in canceling the transfer now as it just has a bit over 2 hours left and I can't play during that time anyway. As you say, lesson learned. :D. I had no knowledge of these ethernet cable ratings. At least I finished playing through Inside on PC this afternoon. :)

Blitzhex

Anyone using the ps4pro on a 1440p monitor? Supersampled 1080p upscaled to 1440p doesn't sound very good. Guess it's 1080 or 4k or nothing right?
I tried the regular ps4 on my 1440p monitors a bit, and the upscaling was just horrible. Specifically, all of the blurry UIs in games.

III-V

So, with my 12bit panel, I should set it to RGB and HDR on? That way when it adjusts to YUV I get 12 bit instead of 10?

I am not sure anyone actually has a real 12-bit panel, but several panels can accept a 12-bit signal. I honestly can not see a difference between the image quality in 420 or 422, or 10-12 bit for that matter. I imagine that the 12-bit signal is actually just 10 bit with 00 appended to the front end. Not sure why this is happening. Already quite a few known 8-bit panels dither a 10-bit signal beautifully.

I would suggest auto video settings for everything, TV and PS4 Pro, on my Sony Bravia I get 444RGB full for SDR and 10-12 bit 422 for HDR in limited. The set adapted perfectly. Not sure what you have got, but try it at least, it's pretty easy to identify a mismatched video level.

I am not sure anyone actually has a real 12-bit panel, but several panels can accept a 12-bit signal. I honestly can not see a difference between the image quality in 420 or 422, or 10-12 bit for that matter. I imagine that the 12-bit signal is actually just 10 bit with 00 appended to the front end. Not sure why this is happening. Already quite a few known 8-bit panels dither a 10-bit signal beautifully.

I would suggest auto video settings for everything, TV and PS4 Pro, on my Sony Bravia I get 444RGB full for SDR and 10-12 bit 422 for HDR in limited. The set adapted perfectly. Not sure what you have got, but try it at least, it's pretty easy to identify a mismatched video level.
Oh cool, I have a Bravia as well. It's the 850C. It has the Quantum Dot Triluminos panel. I have my HTPC connected at 1080p with 12bit full RGB, so I assume it's a 12bit panel. My PC won't let me select settings the TV can't handle... But then, maybe the TV only receives 12bit but doesn't display it?

III-V

Oh cool, I have a Bravia as well. It's the 850C. It has the Quantum Dot Triluminos panel. I have my HTPC connected at 1080p with 12bit full RGB, so I assume it's a 12bit panel. My PC won't let me select settings the TV can't handle... But then, maybe the TV only receives 12bit but doesn't display it?

Yes, I believe it accepts the 12-bit signal but does not benefit from the extra bits, I have a hunch the extra bits aren't ever even sampled, it's only sampling at 10-bit rate, but I could be wrong about that. We would need a gradient test image that only a 12-bit panel (or one that can dither the extra bits properly) can resolve.

Blueblur1

Yes. Basic upscaling.

Thanks for the response!

Quick question for whoever can answer: Is this a good 4K HDMI switch anyone can recommend? I have my consoles plugged into switch that goes to my Samsung soundbar and finally my TV. If I switch to 4K I'm gonna need a new switch that supports 4K..

Lady Gaia

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 just came out a couple days ago with no Pro support.

How would you know for certain one way or another? All "Pro mode" really means is that the console runs at full clock speeds, not at the reduced PS4 speeds with half the GPU's CU's disabled. What the software does with the potential is almost entirely up to the developer (the sole exception would be certification requirements like minimum resolution of 1080p.)

Abylim

So this is probably a stupid question but what resolution settings do I need to use to make it downscale 4K to 1080? I think I've just got it on automatic

Edit : on a 1080p tv

farisr

So Galdin Quay at midnight (clear sky) in Final Fantasy XV is now my go to thing for showing off HDR. I have a save setup and load it up without HDR on and then turn it on afterwards to show the difference. Also The Witness' marsh area. Really impresses people.

Metfanant

So this is probably a stupid question but what resolution settings do I need to use to make it downscale 4K to 1080? I think I've just got it on automatic

Edit : on a 1080p tv

if the game supports it, unless there are resolution options in the game menus...its automatic

Burglekutt

My blu-ray copy of Willow wont work on my PS4 Pro. It didnt work on my PS4 either but it works in my blu-ray player. Has anyone gotten it to work on PS4. I hope its justa defective blu-ray and I can buy a new one.

farisr

I recall hearing near launch that if you force 1080p from the pro (when you have a 4k display), HDR doesn't work properly. Was that true, or false? Because upon seeing Digital Foundry's The Last Guardian comparison, I may prefer to go for the 1080p mode on the Pro for the stable 30fps and want HDR to be enabled during that. I didn't see a big enough improvement with the higher resolution mode.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Syranth

Anyone using the ps4pro on a 1440p monitor? Supersampled 1080p upscaled to 1440p doesn't sound very good. Guess it's 1080 or 4k or nothing right?
I tried the regular ps4 on my 1440p monitors a bit, and the upscaling was just horrible. Specifically, all of the blurry UIs in games.

It's 4k or 1080p only. I have a 2k monitor and it registers as 1080p. I'll settle for this for now as 2k is more of a PC thing than a home entertainment thing. Developers are barely able to support these two settings as it is.

It's odd you're having blurry UIs. I'm not having this issue at all on my 2k. Maybe it's your monitor's upscaler?

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

TAJ

How would you know for certain one way or another? All "Pro mode" really means is that the console runs at full clock speeds, not at the reduced PS4 speeds with half the GPU's CU's disabled. What the software does with the potential is almost entirely up to the developer (the sole exception would be certification requirements like minimum resolution of 1080p.)

The game is graphically identical on Pro and the PS4 version already maintains 60fps. Maybe the clock speeds are higher. Maybe the extra CUs are enabled. But if there's literally no impact then what's the point?

Audioboxer

Hey guys, how quiet is the PS4 pro?

World of Final Fantasy had my fan freaking out a bit earlier. Instead of just going to a constant faster speed it kept wanting to slow down for a few seconds, then speed up, then slow down, then speed up. A bit too erratic. I'd much have preferred it to have just sped up and stuck at a faster RPM than trying to lower the RPM and keep failing to do so.

Still not that loud and WoFF is probably poorly optimised overall.

Slightly random but maybe best place to ask.

How is the usb/charge cable length for the new Pro controller. Is it the same length as that tiny one the old PS4 came with? Trying to decide if I should grab a longer cable when I buy my pro.

Lady Gaia

The game is graphically identical on Pro and the PS4 version already maintains 60fps. Maybe the clock speeds are higher. Maybe the extra CUs are enabled. But if there's literally no impact then what's the point?

Does there have to be a point? If the game runs without compromises on PS4 then it won't need to change on Pro. That still meets the new certification criteria as leaked, presuming it was already 1080p.

Re: the pro.. Is it unstable ie wobbly like the og? I had to install rubber feet on my og PS4 to stop it.

Is the pro stable?

Yes they've redesigned the base of the Slim and Pro, they now have more feet!

PS4-Slim-bottom.jpg

III-V

I recall hearing near launch that if you force 1080p from the pro (when you have a 4k display), HDR doesn't work properly. Was that true, or false? Because upon seeing Digital Foundry's The Last Guardian comparison, I may prefer to go for the 1080p mode on the Pro for the stable 30fps and want HDR to be enabled during that. I didn't see a big enough improvement with the higher resolution mode.

HDR does work when forcing 1080p from the Pro.

Top Bottom