• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

I bought the DualShock 4 introduced with the Pro SKU (CUH-ZCT2U).

Is it normal for the analog sticks to have a different feel between the two of them? Visually I can see a difference.

Left stick: http://imgur.com/a/gJXSx

Right stick: http://imgur.com/a/8t4RB
Why not just take one photo with both? You almost had both sticks in the second photo... And had plenty of room to capture them both in that shot had you just panned one inch to the left... That would be a better way of showing the difference and ensure that both are seen in the same light/focus.

That said, looks like one has a more texture than the other. Does the right stick grip your thumb better?

B33

Banned
Sorry, here are better views of the controller with both sticks in each picture.

View 1: http://imgur.com/a/lIk0D

View 2: http://imgur.com/a/WoIfN

The right stick feels like it has more grip to it. Are both sticks supposed to have the texture of the right or the left?

I figured I'd ask because everyone in here is more familiar with this model controller than I am.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I was thinking about picking up a PS4 Pro tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger. I already have a PS4, I don't have a 4K TV and don't see myself picking one up anytime soon considering their prices in Canada, but the thought of supersampling kind of interests me. I'm so torn :(

Picking up the Pro as a "Christmas Present" "for my" roommate (lol. The shit excuses I say to acquire the highly valuable (/s) approval of my peers.) tomorrow when I get my paycheck and trade in my WiiU + its library. Trying to think of what game(s) to get with it.

Is it true that Final Fantasy XV is 60FPS on Pro? Or was that just a pre-Pro rumor or soon to be implemented?

Picking up the Pro as a "Christmas Present" "for my" roommate (lol) tomorrow when I get my paycheck and trade in my WiiU + its library. Trying to think of what game(s) to get with it.

Is it true that Final Fantasy XV is 60FPS on Pro? Or was that just a pre-Pro rumor or soon to be implemented?

They're aiming for a 60fps patch this month sometime, but the Pro at 1080p/Lite mode is currently the best way to play the game.

JackEtc

Xpost from the VR thread, but relevant here:

Yesterday playing VR on my Pro I got constant sound cutting out and back in every 30 seconds or so, it lasts for about a second. At one point the sound cut out and didn't come back for like 5 minutes.

This is a common problem, correct? When is Sony gonna address this??

Codiox

I was thinking about picking up a PS4 Pro tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger. I already have a PS4, I don't have a 4K TV and don't see myself picking one up anytime soon considering their prices in Canada, but the thought of supersampling kind of interests me. I'm so torn :(

If you got a psvr and the money to spare, I would say go for it.

I've got one and a 1080p TV and its not worth it.but For my psvr it's awesome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
in TLOU, seems to be two modes - 2160p 30fps, and 1800p 60fps. Now it seems to me on the surface thats a no-brainer - 1800p isn't much lower than 2160, and 60fps is much higher. But is the 30fps version running at higher detail level or anything?

FeD.nL

Zero intention of buying a PSVR.

I got one for PSVR mainly.

However I am satisfied with the performance increase for just playing (supported) games on 1080p. I had a friend over recently who plays BF1 religiously on his OG PS4 and he was really impressed by the performance increase over his version.

Planet

I have PSVR, where the Pro really shines in certain games, but I also really love the benefits of regular games with super sampling on my 1080p set.
But is the 30fps version running at higher detail level or anything?
Besides the 44% increased pixelcount, it also has the HQ shadows. They look better, when they aren't bugged, which they are quite often, sadly. For me, 60 FPS @1800p would be a no-brainer, but as a 1080p user and don't really get this choice currently. :(

black070

in TLOU, seems to be two modes - 2160p 30fps, and 1800p 60fps. Now it seems to me on the surface thats a no-brainer - 1800p isn't much lower than 2160, and 60fps is much higher. But is the 30fps version running at higher detail level or anything?

I'd say 1800p is sufficient for the benefit of 60fps. I did however choose to do my Pro play through at 30fps just to get the best possible image quality.

Codiox

Zero intention of buying a PSVR.

Than imo there is now benefit to upgrade right know. Maybe when horizon release, but I tried the following:

Titanfall 2 = no difference on my 47 inch TV or on my 135 inch Beamer. Even on the og ps4 it looks perfect.

Skyrim = a little bit sharper but the framerate is now worse, so no win for me.

Infamous first light = 60fps mode is good, but increased resolution mode doesn't make it much more better.

I traded my PS4 in for 200€ so I got my pro for 200€, and because I own and love my psvr it was worth it just for that. But I'm really disappointed with the 1080p stuff.

Audioboxer

LOL.

I only just noticed Sony finally put a USB slot on the back. Is this the same on the slim? Finally, anyway. Not my pulse headset USB stick can go in the back and not look ugly hanging out the front.

Porkepik

For image quality at 1080p even on my projector yes it is a bit better. Supersampling is nice but not that obvious even on a big screen but enjoy more the locked 30fps at 1080p for games that were not before. (900p games or variable res) (ffvx,tlg,...) it really does not bother me if I don t get supersampling as long as 1080p is locked. But I was never really bothered by ps4 image quality before.
So I would not recommend a ps4 pro for a 1080p user.
For PSVR though......It s really worth it, a lot less shimmering on ps4pro updated titles which was distracting before.
Its really worth it for PSVR. 1080p benefits are a bonus.
Now for 4k owners there is no question about buying PSpro

LOL.

I only just noticed Sony finally put a USB slot on the back. Is this the same on the slim? Finally, anyway. Not my pulse headset USB stick can go in the back and not look ugly hanging out the front.

Was one of the big selling points, VR plugs in the back! but no the Slim doesn't have it.

Tubie

Just started playing Titanfall 2 (got it from a black friday deal), and I wasn't really expecting to be so impressed with how good this game looks and feels. I can't believe it looks this good while keeping a solid 60 FPS.

On top of all that, single player has been amazing so far. It's crazy that I would've passed on this game if it wasn't for the deals. Easily worth the full $60 if the campaign stays this good till the end.

I imagine this looks even better on a 4k TV, but even with 1080p TV I feel like it was worth the upgrade to Pro just from all the improvements on FF15, BF1, and now this game.

black070

Just started playing Titanfall 2 (got it from a black friday deal), and I wasn't really expecting to be so impressed with how good this game looks and feels. I can't believe it looks this good while keeping a solid 60 FPS.

On top of all that, single player has been amazing so far. It's crazy that I would've passed on this game if it wasn't for the deals. Easily worth the full $60 if the campaign stays this good till the end.

I imagine this looks even better on a 4k TV, but even with 1080p TV I feel like it was worth the upgrade to Pro just from all the improvements on FF15, BF1, and now this game.

Welcome to the brotherhood my friend, don't sleep on the MP - once it clicks, it is glorious.

D6AMIA6N

This may not be relevant, but I did see a few posts regarding the Seagate Firecuda 2TB HDD, so I bought one.

I installed it fine on my standard PS4, and downloaded everything. Played Destiny for an hour or so, and the game froze on the spaceship flying/loading screen.

System was completely frozen on the screen for probably 20 minutes. All I could do to reset was pull the power plug. Immediately went to restart the PS4, and the HDD is no longer recognized. Couldn't write to it to reinstall the OS software or anything. Reinstalled the original 500gb HDD and the PS4 functions normally.

Sent it back for a refund yesterday. Very disappointing.

NewDust

This may not be relevant, but I did see a few posts regarding the Seagate Firecuda 2TB HDD, so I bought one.

I installed it fine on my standard PS4, and downloaded everything. Played Destiny for an hour or so, and the game froze on the spaceship flying/loading screen.

System was completely frozen on the screen for probably 20 minutes. All I could do to reset was pull the power plug. Immediately went to restart the PS4, and the HDD is no longer recognized. Couldn't write to it to reinstall the OS software or anything. Reinstalled the original 500gb HDD and the PS4 functions normally.

You tried holding the power button? Definitely sucks... You got the refund for the hdd or the Pro?

5taquitos

Don't forget you can increase the FOV in Titanfall 2!

jinsazuki

Neo Member

I just received mine in the mail, I'm going to cross my fingers and hope it'll last :S

What's a good game to test how loud your pro is. I got disc wise. Bf 4 and bloodborne. Digital quite a few including bf1. No uncharted 4.

meh can't even use the pro tonight as I want to play bf 1 and it will take too long to redownload.

D6AMIA6N

Sorry, for clarification, I tried a soft restart on the PS4 to no avail, and returned the Firecuda for a refund. A reviewer on Newegg indicated their Firecuda was DOA.

LQX

I have had my PS4 Pro for under 1 week and the battery indicator seems to go down really fast. It is literally down to 1 bar in under 1 hour. Brightness is set to dim and no game is making use of the speaker. Is my controller maybe defective or is it bug that shows the battery life lower than it really is?

Ricker

I have had my PS4 Pro for under 1 week and the battery indicator seems to go down really fast. It is literally down to 1 bar in under 1 hour. Brightness is set to dim and no game is making use of the speaker. Is my controller maybe defective or is it bug that shows the battery life lower than it really is?

It does seem to indicate low battery sooner then the base PS4,which could be normal but not that fast...my guess is its the controller,if you can, try another or something,not sure what the policy is for a bad controller from a new PS4...will the store give you a all new PS4 box or just a seperate controller....

My PS4 Pro was 'sleeping' with TLG in the background. I knew there was a firmware update tonight, but I just let it sleep.

It seemed to have tried to install the firmware update overnight (why would it do that if a game was active?) and I could not get the machine to boot today. It would be stuck on a blue light without a video signal.

I had to 'fix' it by unplugging the power cord.. which fucking sucks.

I had the same exact issue a couple of times with my regular PS4, and all with the same use scenario. Should I just stop using slumber? It is ridiculous that Sony can't figure this out.

legbone

oh shit. i hope it was a fluke because there is one inside my pro right now.

MastAndo

Just swapped my PS4 for a PS4 Pro at Gamestop because of their promotion, and holy Moses, my download speeds are horrendous right now. I'm using a wired connection, but I've tried everything. I'll get accurate test speeds momentarily (I'm on a 300 Mbps connection), but subsequent tests will just drop to anywhere from 30 Mbps to in the teens. Titanfall 2 download started fast initially, but is now just crawling and apparently will take 6 hours to complete.

I tried CCProxy as well, but nothing seems to help. I've always struggled with download speeds on the PS4 (I know I'm not alone in this), but this is exceptionally bad. Using Google DNS servers and a different MTU size don't seem to help matters either. Anything else I can try?

EDIT: After the ol' pause and resume trick, download is flying. It says 11 minutes remaining 13 GB. Hopefully it stays this way...

No Love

Banned
Just swapped my PS4 for a PS4 Pro at Gamestop because of their promotion, and holy Moses, my download speeds are horrendous right now. I'm using a wired connection, but I've tried everything. I'll get accurate test speeds momentarily (I'm on a 300 Mbps connection), but subsequent tests will just drop to anywhere from 30 Mbps to in the teens. Titanfall 2 download started fast initially, but is now just crawling and apparently will take 6 hours to complete.

I tried CCProxy as well, but nothing seems to help. I've always struggled with download speeds on the PS4 (I know I'm not alone in this), but this is exceptionally bad. Using Google DNS servers and a different MTU size don't seem to help matters either. Anything else I can try?

EDIT: After the ol' pause and resume trick, download is flying. It says 11 minutes remaining 13 GB. Hopefully it stays this way...

It's PSN. I'm on a 1000 Mbps connection and I can't even hit max speed nor can I get consistent speeds. The max I've hit is 603 Mbps on PSN. Sometimes it even drops to 1-3 MB/s and I have to do the pause and resume trick as well. Sony just needs to upgrade their servers smh.

legbone

just had a crash to blue screen. thought it was frozen but eventually the error reporting process came up on the screen. i thought mafia 3 had just crashed on me (it has been known to do that, and that's putting it mildly, even though it's better after the last patch) but when i submitted the error report, mafia III came up right where it was at previously. strange thing is i was trying to talk to bear donnelly and the bar was empty. thought it was just a bug and was about to exit and start up again to see if it was fixed. after the "freeze" or whatever it was he was there. weird shit going on. maybe these firecudas aren't stable enough to use in the pro or something. that or my situation was just a coincidence. That's what i'm hoping. bright side is, i kept my old ps4 so the worst that can happen is i could lose some save data. think i'll start uploading to the cloud after each game just to be safe.

Apt101

Major bummer the PS VR processing unit can't forward HDR output. I have to bypass it whenever I fire up Final Fantasy 15.

RIght now it's as simple as disconnecting the HDMI cable going into the Pro and plugging one in that connects directly to a port on the TV with everything enabled. Are there HDMI switches that can handle the HDCP 2.0 signal(or whatever it is, I don't know much about video, it took me 30 minutes just to get my 4K TV set up and FF XV outputting 2160p with HDR)?

For some reason my pro doesn't stay connected when I'm in standby. Never had a problem with my og and have the pro set to my primary with all rest function enabled. Any body have any ideas?

Tried updating the firmware/system software of your TV?
?. Not sure I understand. I mean it doesn't stay connected online. Every time I boot up it acts like I'm not connected and a minute or so later everything is normal. Makes rest mode patches kinda useless right now sadly.

Apt101

?. Not sure I understand. I mean it doesn't stay connected online. Every time I boot up it acts like I'm not connected and a minute or so later everything is normal. Makes rest mode patches kinda useless right now sadly.

Oh, network. I thought you meant to your television (I had to toggle the input on my TV when the Pro came out of sleep mode until I updated the TV firmware). Wireless or wired? Tried giving it a dedicated IP address? All else fails try reinitializing the system.

Oh, network. I thought you meant to your television (I had to toggle the input on my TV when the Pro came out of sleep mode until I updated the TV firmware). Wireless or wired? Tried giving it a dedicated IP address? All else fails try reinitializing the system.

Tried both wired and wireless. If you reinitialize the system do you have to redowload everything? Either way I think I will try this tomorrow. Thank you 👍🏻

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
My local Best Buy has more Pros than any other console, easily 75-100 units.

None in my area have any stock--unless the pick up in store indicator on the website is wrong anyway. I ended up getting mine from Gamestop as most in the area had stock listed online.

So...

4TB hard drive from Seagate...will it work?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ZTRXFBA/

71BRt67HbxL._SL1500_.jpg

I know the 2TB one works. I currently have it in my vanilla PS4. But is the drive in the 4TB compatible size wise?

RuGalz

Question for people with Pro and have AV Reciever or TV that supports 4K but not HDCP 2.2. Does everything just works in 4k with HDCP disabled on PS4? That'd be nice that I wouldn't need to upgrade my receiver and TV at the same time in the future.

Audioboxer

Question for people with Pro and have AV Reciever or TV that supports 4K but not HDCP 2.2. Does everything just works in 4k with HDCP disabled on PS4? That'd be nice that I wouldn't need to upgrade my receiver and TV at the same time in the future.

It means HDR won't work. Same problem I have. My receiver supports 4K passthrough but not HDR. I had to plug the Pro directly into my TV and use ARC to deliver 5.1 DTS to my audio system. It means I can't get 5.1 PCM anymore, but I'll live with that for now.

Lima

You can't use any streaming app. Gaming works fine though.

It means HDR won't work. Same problem I have. My receiver supports 4K passthrough but not HDR. I had to plug the Pro directly into my TV and use ARC to deliver 5.1 DTS to my audio system. It means I can't get 5.1 PCM anymore, but I'll live with that for now.

I'm in the same boat. Really want to upgrade my receiver but just spent too much money recently.

Top Bottom