• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

legbone

Well shit. It seems i have run into a pretty significant snag. for some fucking reason when i try to activate my pro as my primary ps4 it says there is another ps4 set as my primary. when i go to my og ps4 it says it is not my primary and when i try to set it as the primary it says another ps4 is my primary. looks like i'm going to have to be on customer support with sony for a while. and from what i've read online, i'm fucked for six months. nice. wtf!

holygeesus

Banned
Well shit. It seems i have run into a pretty significant snag. for some fucking reason when i try to activate my pro as my primary ps4 it says there is another ps4 set as my primary. when i go to my og ps4 it says it is not my primary and when i try to set it as the primary it says another ps4 is my primary. looks like i'm going to have to be on customer support with sony for a while. and from what i've read online, i'm fucked for six months. nice. wtf!

Can't you disable all primary accounts online? That is what I had to do.

legbone

Can't you disable all primary accounts online? That is what I had to do.

i am in the process of doing so. i guess i misunderstood. if i do that, can i immediately set my pro as primary? i read a post somewhere (god only knows where, i have been frantically researching) that you have to wait six months to activate any ps4 as your primary after you do that (nukem all that is). please tell me that is not correct. my blood pressure can't handle this.

edit: ok, i am calming down and breathing. sorry, have serious anxiety disorder. it looks like i have to deactivate from the website no matter what so here goes.

edit 2: holy crap, what a pain. when i went to deactivate all i hit the button and it said "you have done this in the past six months or some crap". but above that it said i had sucessfully deactivated all devices. but when i went into my pro i was able to finally activate. thanks holygeesus. my face looked like your avatar. lets just hope i activated the pro and not the old ps4 that is currently on on another hdmi input. i'm unhooking that sob right now.

holygeesus

Banned
i am in the process of doing so. i guess i misunderstood. if i do that, can i immediately set my pro as primary? i read a post somewhere (god only knows where, i have been frantically researching) that you have to wait six months to activate any ps4 as your primary after you do that (nukem all that is). please tell me that is not correct. my blood pressure can't handle this.

edit: ok, i am calming down and breathing. sorry, have serious anxiety disorder. it looks like i have to deactivate from the website no matter what so here goes.

I *think* you can only use the 'deactivate all primary accounts' feature once every six months. Mine activated fine after using it.

Sami+

Just got one! Starting The Last Guardian now - am I playing in "Pro" mode by default? If so, how do I access light mode for the better performance?

Playing on a 1080p TV.

legbone

I *think* you can only use the 'deactivate all primary accounts' feature once every six months. Mine activated fine after using it.

yep. whatever moron posted that was mistaken. and i was a moron for trusting someone somewhere else besides gaf. well, i'm about to take something for my anxiety and ski. thanks again holygeesus. oh, and i will report back on my download speeds. i hear they are good on this thing. i don't believe it. i have 200 meg down and a dual band router. my old ps4 was lucky to get 50 down. most of the time it was in the 20's.

edit: wireless results: three tests. first was 22. meh. second was 61. third was 62. now to try wired.

edit: ran wired and got 65, 69, 74. ran wireless again to see if that 22 was a fluke. got 63, 58, 59. close enough to wired to not have a wire running down my hall, lol. only thing that worries me is when i was running the second set of wireless tests, i got two errors saying my signal was too weak. trust me, my signal is anything but weak. it seems that while the wireless in the pro is much faster (about twice as fast for me), but it may be more unstable (much like my brain, fast but unstable).

how big of a difference is it for those who had switched to SSD drive? is it really noticeable?

I recently switched from the 2TB Firecuda SSHD to the 1TB Crucial MX300 SSD and I can't exactly how much faster it is, but it is noticeable for me. Is it really worth it? It is for me just knowing I'm getting the best performance possible.

So I can't down sample the last guardian because I can't change my internal resolution to 4K when using a 1080p set. I hope this doesn't become a standard.

legbone

So I can't down sample the last guardian because I can't change my internal resolution to 4K when using a 1080p set. I hope this doesn't become a standard.

somebody please correct me if i'm wrong, but how can a 1080p set accept a 4k signal? or have i got it wrong like everything else tonight (except putting in a sshd and transferring all my crap from the old ps4).

somebody please correct me if i'm wrong, but how can a 1080p set accept a 4k signal? or have i got it wrong like everything else tonight (except putting in a sshd and transferring all my crap from the old ps4).

It can't, so you can't play the 1800p mode down sampled on a 1080p set. You can play the 1080p with better FPS though.

SlickVic

finally got my pro, setting it up right now. avg 7MB/s transfer from my slim to the pro, must be the shitty stock drive.

3+ hours for 809GB

Probably a network issue. I hit about 100 MB/s when I did my transfer with stock drives in both PS4's. Best way to transfer in my experience is hooking both systems directly to the router via Ethernet. Having a Gigabit router is probably ideal.

legbone

It can't, so you can't play the 1800p mode down sampled on a 1080p set. You can play the 1080p with better FPS though.

what i meant was, as long as you have a 1080p set you won't be able to set your pro to 4k. that's because the set won't accept it. or maybe i'm misunderstanding your first post.

anyway, now that i'm done futzing with all my setitngs and such, i am in the store and noticing that the picture is quite sharp with this thing. can't wait until steep finishes installing from the disc. it was a beaut on the old system. and i believe it has 60 fps support. rock n roll folkies. well, later gators. gonna ski and hit the sack. will probably check back in with you guys when the 4k boob tube gets here friday (barring any delays due to weather).

edit: nevermind, wrong once again.

Mezoly

The Last Guardian splash screen start with no HDR then switches to HDR. Giving you almost an instant comparison between HDR on and off. The difference is huge on my KS8000.

plidex

what i meant was, as long as you have a 1080p set you won't be able to set your pro to 4k. that's because the set won't accept it. or maybe i'm misunderstanding your first post.

anyway, now that i'm done futzing with all my setitngs and such, i am in the store and noticing that the picture is quite sharp with this thing. can't wait until steep finishes installing from the disc. it was a beaut on the old system. and i believe it has 60 fps support. rock n roll folkies. well, later gators. gonna ski and hit the sack. will probably check back in with you guys when the 4k boob tube gets here friday (barring any delays due to weather).

edit: nevermind, wrong once again.

You can't set the Pro to 4k but some games automatically downsample the 4k image to 1080p.

mitchman

Gold Member
Anyone having a problem playing Blu-ray movies on the Pro? I tried several perfect condition discs and it gives me error CE-30022-7. The name of the disc appears in the PS4 menu. I set it to allow Blu-rays to connect to the Internet and the same thing happened.

These same movies work fine on my original Xbox One 500 GB and PS3 (which was my primary BD player for a long time). Also, I have no problem installing and playing PS4 disc games.

Setup is Samsung KS8000 and Yamaha RX-V581 receiver.

http://community.us.playstation.com...r-Ce-30022-7-Can-t-play-anygame/td-p/42149177 sees similar issues and offers a workaround, it seems.

Disktrasa

Banned
I need some expert help, i hope someone can answer me this, maybe i have to contact Sony.

But here is the thing, i have an og ps4 and a ps4 pro, i have 3 accounts that i have bought games from.

Lets say FFXV, i bought that on my uspsn but play on my eupsn, and that works fine as the accounts on the pro is set to primary.

My only choice to play ffxv on my go ps4 is to deactivate that account on ps4 pro and activate that account as primary on my go ps4, and then back again when i want to play ffxv on the pro, its not fun to have to do that but i can live with that.

But my question is; can i do this as much as i want, or can it happen something to my system, getting banned or something?

Its my own 2 ps4 and i want to be able to play games on both ffs! But in the future i will buy games only from my euaccount so they work on both with no problem, but right now i have sooooo many games that i have bought from both us and honkkongpsn and i would like to play them on both my systems.

But the questions i would like to have an answer to is; can i switch primary on/off as often as i want on my systems without problem?

Audioboxer

Just setting up my pro and lining games up to download overnight and while I'm at work tomorrow.

-uncharted 4
- TLOU
- rise of the tomb raider
- the witness
- the last guardian

Not a bad list to start with. Dread to think how many GB that'll be. Have ratchet and clank but might wait to download that. Already finished most of them (ratchet and clank and TR 100%) but looking forward to trying them out in 4K HDR

The Witness is broken in HDR in 4K on many sets, just so you know. Blow is working on a patch.

farisr

But the questions i would like to have an answer to is; can i switch primary on/off as often as i want on my systems without problem?
I don't think it'll be an issue as long as you're doing it from the system itself. But honestly, just to be on the safe side, I'd contact sony support just in case and get confirmation in writing from them.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Heh, I've just discovered something funny/sad. As I left the Pro on the system menu while it was downloading something, I realized I could hear the fans going fairly well. It was silent in the house, but still, no game was active, just sitting there in the menu, didn't seem right. I got closer, and realized that like 90% of the audible fan noise comes from the freaking PSVR processor box! The box's fan works even when the PSVR is not active, and the box is literally only working as an HDMI pass-through. Plus, it was really much louder than the Pro itself (console wasn't doing much of anything mind you, but so wasn't the box either). Now, I've decided to just do HDMI cable swap every time I want to use PSVR. It's inconvenient, but at least, there's significantly less fan noise in the room now...

Mookow

I haven't been paying close attention to this launch, but wanted to mull over getting a Pro. I just loaded Amazon and they don't have stock, is stock super limited? I know I should be paying better attention if I'm interested but my buddy jus got a PS4 so now my interest level increased.

legbone

I haven't been paying close attention to this launch, but wanted to mull over getting a Pro. I just loaded Amazon and they don't have stock, is stock super limited? I know I should be paying better attention if I'm interested but my buddy jus got a PS4 so now my interest level increased.

try walmart. mine had plenty.

My local Best Buy has more Pros than any other console, easily 75-100 units.

My Pro just took a total shit on me.

I was playing Werewolves Within (VR) and everything locked up.

Blank screen in the visor, blank screen on TV, blank screen after i turned the visor off. No sounds.

**Question - Is there a hard reset option on the system? I held down the power button for over a minute and nothing happened**

This left me with only one, very bad choice. Unplugged it. It would not come back after that until I initialized it. Now I am running a full initilization. Before I go downloading 800 Gigs I want to this thing wiped clean.

Peltz

My Pro just took a total shit on me.

I was playing Werewolves Within (VR) and everything locked up.

Blank screen in the visor, blank screen on TV, blank screen after i turned the visor off. No sounds.

**Question - Is there a hard reset option on the system? I held down the power button for over a minute and nothing happened**

This left me with only one, very bad choice. Unplugged it. It would not come back after that until I initialized it. Now I am running a full initilization. Before I go downloading 800 Gigs I want to this thing wiped clean.

There's always the unplug method...

Edit... let us know how it goes.

There's always the unplug method...

Edit... let us know how it goes.

Thats what I did and have to start from scratch now. See the last part of my post.
I am back to playing my peasant PS4 until this thing is down "initializing".
Going to be another 4 hours, lol

jamsy

Can someone tell me if I can transfer content from my old PS4 to the PS4 Pro by just hooking them up via ethernet (without going through a router)?

Brandson

Just posting this here in case anyone else has this problem:

My PS4 Pro was always transmitting PCM audio on bluray movies, even when I set the option for bitstream in the settings from the main PS4 menu, regardless of the audio track selected during playback. I fixed this problem by pressing the Options button during movie playback, scrolling all the way to the right, selecting Settings, and setting audio output to bitstream there as well. Now DTS-HD Master and TrueHD are bitstreaming properly to my surround processor. For some reason the settings in the main menu weren't propagating to actual movie playback for me until I did this. I never had to do this on my original PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does tomb raider have HDR support? Can't see any options when I'm running it - I have the three different detail options

I think I have my TV and ps pro set correctly - the witness detects HDR (although it's broken). Enhanced HDMI on my tv, auto colour in OS settings

Edit: and UC4 detects HDR and switches my TV to 3840x2160 20:20 (which is the colour space?)

HooYaH

Does tomb raider have HDR support? Can't see any options when I'm running it - I have the three different detail options

I think I have my TV and ps pro set correctly - the witness detects HDR (although it's broken). Enhanced HDMI on my tv, auto colour in OS settings

TR doesn't have HDR.

Just posting this here in case anyone else has this problem:

My PS4 Pro was always transmitting PCM audio on bluray movies, even when I set the option for bitstream in the settings from the main PS4 menu, regardless of the audio track selected during playback. I fixed this problem by pressing the Options button during movie playback, scrolling all the way to the right, selecting Settings, and setting audio output to bitstream there as well. Now DTS-HD Master and TrueHD are bitstreaming properly to my surround processor. For some reason the settings in the main menu weren't propagating to actual movie playback for me until I did this. I never had to do this on my original PS4.

Why does this matter other than seeing the logo? The end result should be the same.

Lancelot

Hey GAF, I'm using a 1080p TV on my PRO. Is the 2.0 HDMI cable necessary to enjoy the downsampling or 1.4 is fine? My old receiver outputs only at 1.4, so I plan to to use it to get 7.1 sound.

Top Bottom