• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Zesh

When playing 1080p SDR games on a 4K TV, should the Pro's output resolution be set to 1080p, or 2160p - RGB? I see that it's set to 2160p - RGB when using the Automatic setting.

Also, if a game doesn't have a Pro patch but has framerate dips on the base PS4, the performance should still be better on the Pro, correct?

Soulja

When playing 1080p SDR games on a 4K TV, should the Pro's output resolution be set to 1080p, or 2160p - RGB? I see that it's set to 2160p - RGB when using the Automatic setting.

Also, if a game doesn't have a Pro patch but has framerate dips on the base PS4, the performance should still be better on the Pro, correct?

Some games such as the batman collection perform better but not all games.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I've figured out why a lot of games make the Pro fans go crazy. It's movies and menus that have unlocked frame rates. This exact problem happens in some PC games.

The loudest game fan wise is Mafia 3. I just did some tests, and the fans kick into overdrive whenever you access the map or menus. If you play the game for a minute without opening a menu or map, the fans calm down and the system gets quiet again.

Now, I was just playing Hitman, and my console is totally quiet when playing the game or accessing menus. HOWEVER, when the cutscene movies between missions play, the fans kick in big time and the console gets pretty loud.

I also noticed that the system gets pretty loud when playing the pre rendered cutscene movies in FFXV.

Basically what is happening is that developers aren't limiting frame rate to 30 or 60 fps, and letting the game render as fast as it can. So when a movie plays (or a 2D map or menu), there is so little CPU/GPU processing needed to display the movie that the frame rate can go up to 200-300 fps. This causes the GPU to get very hot, and that's why the fans kick in so loud.

The good news is that devs patched many PC games that this was a problem with.

The bad news is developers might not realize this is happening and will never get around to fixing it.

Man, trying to enjoy Uncharted 4, but the frame rate is giving me motion sickness.

I mean, damn.

I just finished the Nathan Drake Collection and it was great, but now, I don't think I'm going to be able to finish the series...

It's a shame, it's a beautiful game until you start moving and the low fps and motionblur trying to hide it turn in into a mess. All I'm seeing is judder across the entire screen that my eyes are trying to track, it's giving me a headache...

I'm having the same issue with Ratchet and Clank...

Edit: I may have to disable HDR and turn on motion smoothing if I want to finish the story... Artifacts, input lag, and loss of HDR will be worth it if it means i get to finish the game... Damned shame.

Anarion07

Man, trying to enjoy Uncharted 4, but the frame rate is giving me motion sickness.

I mean, damn.

I just finished the Nathan Drake Collection and it was great, but now, I don't think I'm going to be able to finish the series...

It's a shame, it's a beautiful game until you start moving and the low fps and motionblur trying to hide it turn in into a mess. All I'm seeing is judder across the entire screen that my eyes are trying to track, it's giving me a headache...

Edit: I may have to disable HDR and turn on motion smoothing if I want to finish the story... Artifacts, input lag, and loss of HDR will be worth it if it means i get to finish the game... Damned shame.

Maybe just step away from it for a couple of days

DieH@rd

Banned
If I get a PS4 Pro and use the data transfer utility, can I still use my old PS4 to play the installed games on it?

Yes. Backup only copies, it does not move and delete source data. But your accounts can be activated only on one console. One one console you will need to play as guest.

edit - I only used backup via USB stick, I don't know what happens with LAN cable transfer.

eastx

If I get a PS4 Pro and use the data transfer utility, can I still use my old PS4 to play the installed games on it?

Anyone can play your games on the console you designate as the primary system. On the secondary system, the owner of the games will need to be signed in to play them, and only that person can play them.

BigEmil

I mean, damn.

It's not the framerate it's the high motion blur that is likely the culprit to your motion sickness. Either turn the motion blur down in the games setting or completely turn it off.

Futurematic

Ok, I've figured out why a lot of games make the Pro fans go crazy. It's movies and menus that have unlocked frame rates. This exact problem happens in some PC games.

The good news is that devs patched many PC games that this was a problem with.

The bad news is developers might not realize this is happening and will never get around to fixing it.

Yeah it's a weird screw up to be having, and as mentioned above has been ongoing since the launch of the system. Perhaps the dev tools have the default setting like that and some developers miss changing it.

Albo

I've been having an issue where my ps4 won't turn on from rest mode and the orange light blinks endlessly. It's happened about 4 times now (twice after rest mode playing doom and another in ps4 menu). I had to force the console off everytime which gave me the building system data/data corruption warning when turning it back on. Anyone know how to prevent this ?

Humdinger

I've been having an issue where my ps4 won't turn on from rest mode and the orange light blinks endlessly. It's happened about 4 times now (twice after rest mode playing doom and another in ps4 menu). I had to force the console off everytime which gave me the building system data/data corruption warning when turning it back on. Anyone know how to prevent this ?

I had a similar problem on my original PS4, and I fixed it by rebuilding the database (I believe that's the term). It wiped everything (all my saves, etc.), but it fixed the problem.

Lady Gaia

I had some issues on earlier firmware but nothing recently. What version are you on?

It's not the framerate it's the high motion blur that is likely the culprit to your motion sickness. Either turn the motion blur down in the games setting or completely turn it off.
I turned it off, it didn't stop the horrible judder.

The game just turns to ass as soon as the camera pans.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Um, my two-week old PS4 Pro is not turning on. No signal to TV. It was last left in rest mode. Now it just blinks a blue light on and off, and I can't boot the PS4 into safe mode nor can I turn it on via the controller, which doesn't seem synced.

What's the issue here? Is it safe for me to unplug the power cable from the PS4 Pro to force total shutdown and try turning it on again?

EDIT: Huh. Weird. I held the power button longer this time and it forced a shutdown. Turned the PS4 on again and it did a file storage check. Then I got a message advising me to not unplug the A/C cable while my console is in rest mode (which I didn't do). Otherwise, it seems to be working again.

Anyone know why the strange hang-up after putting the system in rest mode?

Um, my two-week old PS4 Pro is not turning on. No signal to TV. It was last left in rest mode. Now it just blinks a blue light on and off, and I can't boot the PS4 into safe mode nor can I turn it on via the controller, which doesn't seem synced.

What's the issue here? Is it safe for me to unplug the power cable from the PS4 Pro to force total shutdown and try turning it on again?

EDIT: Huh. Weird. I held the power button longer this time and it forced a shutdown. Turned the PS4 on again and it did a file storage check. Then I got a message advising me to not unplug the A/C cable while my console is in rest mode (which I didn't do). Otherwise, it seems to be working again.

Did your power flicker at all?

SURGEdude

The UI on my Pro chugs worse than my OG. Plus it's frozen up a handful of times too.

That's odd. Mine is much faster, especially notice it when scrolling through my library, the thumbnails load dramatically faster.

Did you use the data transfer from an old PS4? I know with most OS's a fresh install sometimes clears up issues. Also maybe try to rebuild the database.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Fuck. I suddenly got an impulse to trade my PS4 in for a Pro... problem is I left FFXV in the console.

Luckily I traded it in right before they closed and I'll call first thing tomorrow but damn that was dumb. I'm used to digital games and that was physical.

This happened to me so I returned it to gamestop before the 30 days and got a new one but I think my new one has a bad power supply. When I am in a game I hear clicking sound almost like a loud hard drive

Fuck. I suddenly got an impulse to trade my PS4 in for a Pro... problem is I left FFXV in the console.

Luckily I traded it in right before they closed and I'll call first thing tomorrow but damn that was dumb. I'm used to digital games and that was physical.

Oh damn, hopefully can retrieve.

Sami+

Could definitely use some help TV shopping GAF, any advice SUPER appreciated.

So I just beat TLG on my 1080p mode on my new Pro. Loved it, and happy the experience was pretty smooth, but I definitely felt like I was missing out on the lack of HDR on my set. I want to make the most of my purchase and am looking at new TVs now!

I have a 32" Samsung TV on my desk rn as both a desktop monitor and gaming setup. I like this setup a lot and don't really want to go smaller if I don't have to. What can I get that's somewhere between 30"-40" for $499 or less? Would it be worth it?

thx love yall <3

Dmax3901

I'm happy with FFXV's lite mode, the frame pacing was definitely too much for me on high mode. Switching down to lite mode... it felt like my eyes unclenched. I know that's not a thing but it's the only way to describe the sensation lol.

HDR works wonders with XV, so pretty.

Can anyone tell me whether to deactivate my old PS4 as primary from the console itself or the website? I'm trying to avoid getting trapped in that 6 month "no activation phase" thing.

Will be upgrading to Pro this Friday.

PaulLFC

OléGunner;226447720 said:
Can anyone tell me whether to deactivate my old PS4 as primary from the console itself or the website? I'm trying to avoid getting trapped in that 6 month "no activation phase" thing.

Will be upgrading to Pro this Friday.
Do it from the console. The 6 month window only applies if you use the website.

ISee

If I connect a PS4 Pro to a 1440p display can I bring it to output in 4k mode (downsample from '4k' to 1440p)

Top Bottom