• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

My order from Amazon just arrived! It's been sold out here in Singapore since launch and they are really stingy with the stock for some reason so I bought it from Amazon during the Black Friday sale. Already set it up and re-installing all my games now, can't wait to try them out!

4Ibcguc.jpg

YRFAHc9.jpg

Lately I have been hearing a lot of noise coming from the hard drive bay I have tried 2 different HDD the stock 1tb and a seagate 1tb sshd any thoughts of what the problem could be

thematic

Lately I have been hearing a lot of noise coming from the hard drive bay I have tried 2 different HDD the stock 1tb and a seagate 1tb sshd any thoughts of what the problem could be

i don't know about yours but my PS4 Pro giving a high pitch noise and the system feels sluggish.
turns out it was the HDD. i swapped with my spare 500GB HDD Notebook and the problem goes away.

when i'm swapping out the HDD, the 1TB one from PS4 was way too hot
now i'm using the 1TB as external HDD for PC without problem (and didn't show heating problem too)

i don't know about yours but my PS4 Pro giving a high pitch noise and the system feels sluggish.
turns out it was the HDD. i swapped with my spare 500GB HDD Notebook and the problem goes away.

when i'm swapping out the HDD, the 1TB one from PS4 was way too hot
now i'm using the 1TB as external HDD for PC without problem (and didn't show heating problem too)

It completely silent when loading any kind of game but soon as it loads in it gets kinds noisy Idk if it is the HDD or the power supply unit

PrankT

I hooked up the pro tonight and this thing is very loud on Titanfall 2. It didn't make any noise on the digital games I downloaded, but the Titanfall disc was humming (looked great though). The sound fluctuates as you play (not too loud when hopping around, vacuum when in battle). I've seen people say there's a noise lottery with the pro, but every home environment will be different so I won't be playing that game.

I hooked up the pro tonight and this thing is very loud on Titanfall 2. It didn't make any noise on the digital games I downloaded, but the Titanfall disc was humming (looked great though). The sound fluctuates as you play (not too loud when hopping around, vacuum when in battle). I've seen people say there's a noise lottery with the pro, but every home environment will be different so I won't be playing that game.

The disc only moves when the game is installing or for a couple of seconds when you boot the game.

The rest of the noise is from the fan.

LeleSocho

Banned
I'm sorry for the silly question but is there an universal switch to play games on "original ps4" mode on the ps4 pro or is it a game by game scenario?

Fliesen

I'm sorry for the silly question but is there an universal switch to play games on "original ps4" mode on the ps4 pro or is it a game by game scenario?

Game-by-game.

?

there is no such mode, no such switch, not on a system level nor on a per-game level

if the game is patched for the PS4 pro, your game will run at whatever "mode" the devs decided the game should run on - pretty much only depending on the display you connected.

Sure, many games have a "regular res, higher frame rate", "higher res, regular frame rate" option in game, some even have "regular res, regular frame rate, more visual bells and whistles" (like Tomb Raider)

black070

Out of curiosity, why would you want this ? As far as I'm aware, the only game left that is having issues in Pro mode is World of Final Fantasy on 1080p screens and Assassins Creed Syndicate on 4K screens.

LeleSocho

Banned
Out of curiosity, why would you want this ? As far as I'm aware, the only game left that is having issues in Pro mode is World of Final Fantasy on 1080p screens and Assassins Creed Syndicate on 4K screens.

A game that i'm interested (Watch Dogs 2) has worse performance on PS4 pro than on the normal PS4.
Since i would gladly give away some IQ for solid or better performance i wanted to know if there was such a mode.

I'm still on the fence if i should buy PS4 Pro or the normal one, sure the pro is shiny and all but to me is such an half assed attempt in making a better console and it costs a lot of money... still i don't want to risk being left behind by developers.

black070

A game that i'm interested (Watch Dogs 2) has worse performance on PS4 pro than on the normal PS4.
Since i would gladly give away some IQ for solid or better performance i wanted to know if there was such a mode.

I'm still on the fence if i should buy PS4 Pro or the normal one, sure the pro is shiny and all but to me is such an half assed attempt in making a better console and it costs a lot of money... still i don't want to risk being left behind by developers.

Like the poster above said, it doesn't - the performance issues were addressed in a patch, along with The Last of Us Remastered, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Skyrim Special Edition. The only titles that provide a worse experience on the Pro are the two I mentioned above on the respective displays.

Waveset

Played a bit of Bloodborne last night and was struck by the absurdity of having a faster, more expensive console being throttled into gimp mode. It's a pretty ridiculous situation.

EmiPrime

The FUD and misinformation surrounding the Pro has been really disappointing. A false narrative has built up that keeps getting repeated.

Played a bit of Bloodborne last night and was struck by the absurdity of having a faster, more expensive console being throttled into gimp mode. It's a pretty ridiculous situation.

Yeah there really needs to be a way for the end user to force neo mode for old games. Hide it somewhere in the settings or with a Konami code or whatever if need be so only power users know where to find it if Sony are so worried about things breaking.

Sold my Ps4. Still not sold on getting the Pro. Can you convince me?

No.

Waveset

Yeah there really needs to be a way for the end user to force neo mode for old games. Hide it somewhere in the settings or with a Konami code or whatever if need be so only power users know where to find it if Sony are so worried about things breaking.

Agreed, flag it as 'experimental' mode, attach warnings regarding problems, leave it to the user to decide.

Would be interesting if hackers get it unlocked and then see what the real issues are with letting the console run at full speed on unpatched games.

Pasedo

To be honest I sold my Ps4 because I also like having the latest stuff with the improved experience, so was going to trade up to the Pro. Now I'm not so sure. I kept all my PS exclusive games, including ones I haven't yet completed thinking I'd replay/finish them on the Pro. Must say I haven't played the Ps4 in a while and now I'm wondering whether I should bother. I'm more excited about the Switch and I'm thinking I might just become an exclusive portable gamer as it suits my lifestyle better. But at the same time when I can get into PS exclusive games I really enjoy them. Like all Naughty Dog stuff. I'm wondering if it will reinvigorate it for me with the better IQ and especially faster fps as smooth 60fps game play is one of my main things. Still not quite sure but will all games now have a setting where I can pick a faster smoother frame rate after some sort of update? Or will current games just play smoother on the Pro?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Uncharted 4 looks incredible running on the Pro with a 4K Tv. Wow.

No lies detected here Cap'n.

Game looks superb, the 70% resolution boost makes the already superb art and textures shine more. Game doesn't drop frames in photo mode on Pro either, unlike OG PS4.

Humdinger

Sold my Ps4. Still not sold on getting the Pro. Can you convince me?

If Sony's lineup over the next few years doesn't do it, then I certainly can't.

Still not quite sure but will all games now have a setting where I can pick a faster smoother frame rate after some sort of update? Or will current games just play smoother on the Pro?

This was answered above.

Kogepan

FYI to people using the 2016 Vizio M-Series, i just spoke to their customer service, apparently ONLY HDMI1 is capable of 4k+HDR. All the other HDMI ports can only do HDR at 2K resolution. Unfortunately HDMI is also the only port capable of ARC, which sucks because you will have to choose between your home theatre system or PS4PRo with this TV.

Really disappointing from Vizio, but i guess this is why their products are cheaper. Should have went with the Sony TV...

farisr

FYI to people using the 2016 Vizio M-Series, i just spoke to their customer service, apparently ONLY HDMI1 is capable of 4k+HDR. All the other HDMI ports can only do HDR at 2K resolution. Unfortunately HDMI is also the only port capable of ARC, which sucks because you will have to choose between your home theatre system or PS4PRo with this TV.

Really disappointing from Vizio, but i guess this is why their products are cheaper. Should have went with the Sony TV...
Always a good idea to do a decent vamount of research before buying a tv. Many tvs across different brands (especially in this price range) have things like this where only certain HDMI ports have certain features available.

Audioboxer

To be honest I sold my Ps4 because I also like having the latest stuff with the improved experience, so was going to trade up to the Pro. Now I'm not so sure. I kept all my PS exclusive games, including ones I haven't yet completed thinking I'd replay/finish them on the Pro. Must say I haven't played the Ps4 in a while and now I'm wondering whether I should bother. I'm more excited about the Switch and I'm thinking I might just become an exclusive portable gamer as it suits my lifestyle better. But at the same time when I can get into PS exclusive games I really enjoy them. Like all Naughty Dog stuff. I'm wondering if it will reinvigorate it for me with the better IQ and especially faster fps as smooth 60fps game play is one of my main things. Still not quite sure but will all games now have a setting where I can pick a faster smoother frame rate after some sort of update? Or will current games just play smoother on the Pro?

PC will obviously be best. For the Pro SP games will see the best increases. MP games aren't able to give an advantage over PS4 so unless PS4 MP is already 60FPS, the Pro version won't be higher. Luckily most big PS4 MP titles opt for 60FPS even if it means 900p.

They can give resolution bumps though, hence Titanfall 2 looking much cleaner on Pro.

Yeah I'm going to upgrade soon. I heard they are working on a Pro patch for FFXV to get it to run at 60fps.

I can get a good deal at my local store if I trade in my old model. You can just put all your saves in the cloud right? You only have to redownload everything?

Audioboxer

Anyone else's pro really loud on Final Fantasy XV? Every other game is quiet it's just that one.

Fairly loud. Still not as loud as my launch PS4.

My Pro does do an annoying thing with the fans with games like FF15 where it doesn't stay consistent with the fan and it ramps up and down constantly like it's on cocaine. Like every few seconds.

Non pro games are virtually silent, pro games vary. I guess this is to be expected though as anything with a pro patch is what is going to push the hardware. The exhausts at the back do push out a fair bit of heat.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Anyone else's pro really loud on Final Fantasy XV? Every other game is quiet it's just that one.

Final fantasy in high quality makes the fans go slightly louder for me, but it's not bad.

Mafia 3 makes it very loud with that super annoying fans faster/slower pitch change constantly. It's awful.

All other Pro games are as silent as my launch PS4, as are all non Pro games.

Shiv47

Not sure where else to ask this, but I just got a Pro to go with my regular PS4, and I'm moving the regular PS4 to my living room for my family to use as needed, and the Pro will be in my basement gaming area. Do I need to create a separate account to be the primary on the Pro, or can I just log in under my own account and use it as usual, without being the primary on it?

eastx

Not sure where else to ask this, but I just got a Pro to go with my regular PS4, and I'm moving the regular PS4 to my living room for my family to use as needed, and the Pro will be in my basement gaming area. Do I need to create a separate account to be the primary on the Pro, or can I just log in under my own account and use it as usual, without being the primary on it?

Leave the old PS4 as your primary console for the family, and just log in with your existing account on the Pro (which will be the secondary console). Nobody else will be able to play your digital games on the Pro but you, but it sounds like that setup will meet your needs.

Shiv47

Leave the old PS4 as your primary console for the family, and just log in with your existing account on the Pro (which will be the secondary console). Nobody else will be able to play your digital games on the Pro but you, but it sounds like that setup will meet your needs.

That's exactly how I want to set it up, thanks!

Mideon

Fairly loud. Still not as loud as my launch PS4.

My Pro does do an annoying thing with the fans with games like FF15 where it doesn't stay consistent with the fan and it ramps up and down constantly like it's on cocaine. Like every few seconds.

Non pro games are virtually silent, pro games vary. I guess this is to be expected though as anything with a pro patch is what is going to push the hardware. The exhausts at the back do push out a fair bit of heat.

Just trying to see if I have a faulty one as I got it from Amazon Warehouse. It's only FFXV that's loud though.

farisr

I have the last guardian and I will play it on christmas. Quick question,how good is the 4k mode? I can deal with frame drops if it looks nice.
From what I've seen not that great. You're better off forcing the 1080p for the smoother framerate (and I'm one of the folks who's playing FFXV in HQ mode with frame pacing issues)

Naudi

Banned
Well amazon finally received my items for trade in yesterday. Hopefully doesn't take them long to process them, I want my Pro dammit!

Top Bottom