• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Question for people with Pro and have AV Reciever or TV that supports 4K but not HDCP 2.2. Does everything just works in 4k with HDCP disabled on PS4? That'd be nice that I wouldn't need to upgrade my receiver and TV at the same time in the future.

You do not need to disable hdcp though. It will still support 1.4. 2.2 is only for newer 4k content.

No, those are 15mm high, PS4 can only use regular height (9.5mm) or slimmer drives.

Ah yes. Looks like you're right. The picture on amazon doesn't seem to change when selecting 2tb or 4tb. But going straight off of Seagate's website...the're definitely not in the same case so pretty safe to assume the drive within would be thicker.

seagate%20drives_zpsiyef8ygz.jpg

Guess I'll have to wait for a 4TB compatible drive to come along and hopefully not fill the 2TB going in within that time.

Krakatoa

It means HDR won't work. Same problem I have. My receiver supports 4K passthrough but not HDR. I had to plug the Pro directly into my TV and use ARC to deliver 5.1 DTS to my audio system. It means I can't get 5.1 PCM anymore, but I'll live with that for now.

I have this set up but for some reason I am not getting surround sound. What do you have the sound settings on the Ps4 pro set to? I have tried them all, and I still only get 2.1.

Works fine the xbox 1 s, So I know its not the receiver or the TV.

Because my thread expressing my love for PS4 pro got locked, I might as well express it here. This is probably the most appropriate place for it :)

For me PS4 pro became the most revolutionary console since Xbox 360 launch. At first I was very hesitant to get it because I didn't own 4k TV and wasn't planning on getting one. All the negative coverage didn't help much. But I ended up getting that Target deal so upgrade ended up costing me about $180. Seemed like it was worth it.

I can't say that performance enhancements on 1080p screen made it worth it. Uncharted 4 multiplayer improvements stood out the most. But after seeing few "4k HDR" threads I finally caved in and got cheap 4k HDR TV ($500). And it's one of the best decisions I ever made. Even on cheaper TV (Hisense) 4k looks great!

Dishonored 2 went from looking very similar to the original remaster to looking like the trailers I've seen before! But by far my best experience is with Final Fantasy XV. I think HDR and 4k alone made me enjoy that game to the point where I think it's one of my favorite games of this generation. Sure, story sucks, and fetch quests are not interesting, but I was enjoying exploration in this game way more than any open world game before. With HDR mode everything in that game pops to the point where I enjoy looking at the scenery no matter what is happening!

I think getting PS4 pro was one of the best gaming decisions I ever made. For about $500 (I also sold my old TV) I got by far the best gaming upgrade since Xbox 360. And as a bonus I get to watch shows that I like in 4k. Sure, my ultimate goal is getting OLED at some point, but I no longer feel conflicted waiting few years until things with 4k and HDR settle down.

RuGalz

It means HDR won't work. Same problem I have. My receiver supports 4K passthrough but not HDR. I had to plug the Pro directly into my TV and use ARC to deliver 5.1 DTS to my audio system. It means I can't get 5.1 PCM anymore, but I'll live with that for now.

You can't use any streaming app. Gaming works fine though.

You do not need to disable hdcp though. It will still support 1.4. 2.2 is only for newer 4k content.

That make sense, thanks!

Forsete

Got a Pro even though I am playing on a 1080p monitor.

Damn the image quality in Uncharted is fantastic, it was good before but this is truly fantastic.

Cant wait for ND to tap into the Pros extra power with their next game.
Also really enjoying proper WiFi, its a shame it took this long. But finally PS4 is able to utilize dat 100/100 connection without any wires.

Has anyone found the official vertial stand anywhere? I've been unable to find it for a while now, out of stock everywhere. Was it discontinued or something?

Planet

pretty safe to assume the drive within would be thicker.
There simply are no hard drives in existence with more than 2TB that fit. Until recently, there has been just exactly one drive model at 2TB, has been that way since the PS4 launched. Only the FireCuda 2TB SSHD joined the club in 3 years! And the price hardly changed as well in all that time.

2.5" drive market is almost completely at a halt, everyone - including manufacturers - are waiting for SSD prices to come down into that range.

MastAndo

Thanks to horrendous download speeds, I only got to try Titanfall 2 on my new PS4 Pro last night on my recently acquired 55KS8000. I can see the improvement, but generally, I was pretty underwhelmed. I suppose I thought I'd be more wow'd.

I also tried Battlefield 1 only briefly, and I nope'd right out of the RE7 demo before I could even see much of the HDR in action (lol), so I haven't tried enough games to make a full judgment call on it just yet.

I generally love new tech and was sitting on a little extra money, so with the Gamestop trade in, I don't regret my decision at all - but yeah, I guess I was expecting to be blown away, but perhaps that's my own fault.

Audioboxer

I have this set up but for some reason I am not getting surround sound. What do you have the sound settings on the Ps4 pro set to? I have tried them all, and I still only get 2.1.

Works fine the xbox 1 s, So I know its not the receiver or the TV.

HDMI and DTS 5.1 bitstream.

You have to plug your sound receiver into the ARC HDMI slot on your TV. PS4 Pro can go in any other one. Then there will be some setting that has to be setup right on your TV. On mine it was a sound setting I had to set to auto 1 under the bravia menu to tell it to send compressed audio. Options were PCM only auto 1 and auto 2. By default it was on PCM only which sends 2.0 only. ARC cannot send more than 2.0 PCM. As PCM is uncompressed it requires too much bandwidth for ARC to do more than 2.0.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Thanks to horrendous download speeds, I only got to try Titanfall 2 on my new PS4 Pro last night on my recently acquired 55KS8000. I can see the improvement, but generally, I was pretty underwhelmed. I suppose I thought I'd be more wow'd.

I also tried Battlefield 1 only briefly, and I nope'd right out of the RE7 demo before I could even see much of the HDR in action (lol), so I haven't tried enough games to make a full judgment call on it just yet.

I generally love new tech and was sitting on a little extra money, so with the Gamestop trade in, I don't regret my decision at all - but yeah, I guess I was expecting to be blown away, but perhaps that's my own fault.

If the BF1 and TF2 upgrades weren't immediately noticeable to you I honestly don't know what will. BF1 especially, the framerate and clarity improvements aren't exactly insignificant.

is 5ghz signal better to use for wifi? the signal strength fluctuates between 90 and 70%. on standard 2.4 I get 100%. router is downstairs and pro is upstairs but directly above it more or less in the room upstairs.

Krakatoa

HDMI and DTS 5.1 bitstream.

You have to plug your sound receiver into the ARC HDMI slot on your TV. PS4 Pro can go in any other one. Then there will be some setting that has to be setup right on your TV. On mine it was a sound setting I had to set to auto 1 under the bravia menu to tell it to send compressed audio. Options were PCM only auto 1 and auto 2. By default it was on PCM only which sends 2.0 only. ARC cannot send more than 2.0 PCM. As PCM is uncompressed it requires too much bandwidth for ARC to do more than 2.0.

Thanks, I'll check my TV again. Its odd though as it works fine doing the same thing with my Xbox one.

Pons

Neo Member
I want (not need obviously) a PS4Pro....kicking myself for not taking advantage of the blackfriday/cyber monday deals that were going around... sigh, hopefully there will be another deal soon.

PEKlNGDUCKK

Neo Member
Hey all, quick question before I pull the trigger. I will be playing the Pro on a 1080p monitor, and I'm primarily a PC gamer. Will everygame support downsampling, if it supports PS4 Pro improvements?

Example: Infamous: Second Son has received a Pro update, which enables more options/resolution options for 4k. It doesn't mention anything about downsampling at 1080p (and so therefor sharper images). Is it safe to assume that because it has received a "pro-ready" update, it'll downsample from 4k to 1080p when playing on a 1080p monitor?

Thank you.

RavenHawk

Hey all, quick question before I pull the trigger. I will be playing the Pro on a 1080p monitor, and I'm primarily a PC gamer. Will everygame support downsampling, if it supports PS4 Pro improvements?

Example: Infamous: Second Son has received a Pro update, which enables more options/resolution options for 4k. It doesn't mention anything about downsampling at 1080p (and so therefor sharper images). Is it safe to assume that because it has received a "pro-ready" update, it'll downsample from 4k to 1080p when playing on a 1080p monitor?

Thank you.

Apparently you haven't seen this thread?

TalonJH

is 5ghz signal better to use for wifi? the signal strength fluctuates between 90 and 70%. on standard 2.4 I get 100%. router is downstairs and pro is upstairs but directly above it more or less in the room upstairs.
My understanding has always been that 5.0 has a shorter range than 2.4 in general so when dealing with distances further from your router it can sometimes be better to o go with 2.4. I'm Sure someone here with more network experience can correct me if wrong.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I have seen this. From what I understand, that issue is specific to TLOU no? I guess I should start reading through the 24 pages.

The answer is that there appears to be no minimum requirement when Pro is supported. By that I mean Pro support at 1080p can mean 4k downsampling, or it can mean native 1080p rendering with effects, or anywhere between 1080 and 2160 downsampling of which 1800 is apparently common.

So the short answer to your question is no, not every game will support 4k downsampling.

Valonquar

So I wanted to grab some screencaps off my Pro, and I've found that out of the SIX usb thumb drives I own, not a single one can be used with the Pro because the bezel is too close to the port, meaning I can fucking plug any of the in. Nice one.

Lady Gaia

So I wanted to grab some screencaps off my Pro, and I've found that out of the SIX usb thumb drives I own, not a single one can be used with the Pro because the bezel is too close to the port, meaning I can fucking plug any of the in. Nice one.

There's a rear USB port as well, and USB extension cables are a godsend to have around for all purposes. The ones I have work fine in my Pro and you can plug anything into the other end without space restrictions.

PrankT

Will I get connection issues if I connect the Pro to an older Denon 1611 (1.4 hdmi), which then connects to a 1080p tv?

JPS Kai

wccftech interview

Probably the most relevant quote:

An impending update (which might hit tomorrow!) includes an Optional 1080p mode which runs 30-60 FPS, while defaulting to 60 FPS 720p mode. Also, we’ll be bumping up the Texture Resolution on the PS4 Pro in a subsequent update, since after all it has 500+ MB additional title-usable memory we want to make use of!

I might try out Ark once that Pro patch goes live.

SURGEdude

My understanding has always been that 5.0 has a shorter range than 2.4 in general so when dealing with distances further from your router it can sometimes be better to o go with 2.4. I'm Sure someone here with more network experience can correct me if wrong.

Wall penetration is the weakest part of 5ghz.

eastx

You might look into getting a Wi-Fi extender. This made a huge difference in the quality of PS4 Remote Play and Xbox One streaming on our second floor. Netgear makes some very good ones, but other brands would probably work too.

Seth

Anyone having portions of the screen licker white for a second since the most recent update? Mine is doing it pretty often, in games and at the home screen.

I'm not sure if the firmware caused it or if mine is going bad. Ive already returned one pro to amazon because the disc drive stopped working after a few days, about to return this one as well but amazon is out of stock of pros...

Jacob4815

Thank you.

If you will play in a 1080p TV, don't worry about Infamous.
If you select the "high resolution" mode, Infamous Second Son will be officially downsampled at 1080p and IQ is stunning. And even with high resolution mode selected, you have a second option where you can choose to lock the framerate to 30 fps or to unlock it (as it was on the normal PS4)

Downsampling is disabled only if you choose the "high framerate" mode (1080p native).

2 options, 4 combinations. It's one of the best optimized games for everyone, 4k or 1080p users. Nothing like the TLOU:Remastered fiasco.

Iorv3th

It provides better speed and less prone to interference. However depends on your Internet speeds. 70%+ should be good on 5ghz. Try it and compare.

Jerm411

This wasn't even on my radar until a couple of weeks ago when I got a 4K TV....picked one up today along with a Final Fantasy XV. Very happy with my purchase..glad I got it.

Happy that I've now future proofed myself for the foreseeable future...

Sold my OG PS4 for $175 in store credit at Gamestop.

Make sure it has all canles and a 500GB drive when you trade it in. If you do it by EOD tomorrow they give you an additional 50$ in credit.

Why is the WiFi so weak? My Pro is a mere five feet from my router with nothing in the way (Don't have a long enough ethernet cable on hand yet) and I'm getting a mere 8 Mbps download speed in the network test - Whilst on my PC in my office two rooms away gets 150 Mbps without issues with a $15 USB WiFi stick.

Apt101

Why is the WiFi so weak? My Pro is a mere five feet from my router with nothing in the way (Don't have a long enough ethernet cable on hand yet) and I'm getting a mere 8 Mbps download speed in the network test - Whilst on my PC in my office two rooms away gets 150 Mbps without issues with a $15 USB WiFi stick.

My router is about 30 feet away, PS4 Pro tests about 115 Mbps down / 8 Mbps up. What router do you have? Is it dual band, and if so, is either channel you're using congested?

Humdinger

For what it's worth, ARK dev says Pro performance is equivalent to $900 PC.

What do you think of Sony’s PS4 Pro performance as a developer? Were you impressed by the hardware or not?

Very impressed with its performance, at a very reasonable price. We estimate it would cost at least $900 to build a similarly powerful PC, and that’s if you were custom-building it with extreme cost control. We estimate its raw GPU performance is similar to an NVIDIA 970, and along with CPU improvements and overall more memory, it’s a really high benchmark for console performance. Hats off to Sony for “crossing the Rubicon” of console hardware updates (bonus that it tends to improve performance in just about every existing title in the PlayStation 4 library)!

http://wccftech.com/ps4-pro-performance-equivalent-900pc/

Not sure about that last parenthetical remark. Afaik, it doesn't significantly improve performance on any old, previously games that haven't been Pro-patched.

My router is about 30 feet away, PS4 Pro tests about 115 Mbps down / 8 Mbps up. What router do you have? Is it dual band, and if so, is either channel you're using congested?

2.4Ghz only, and yeah, it's congested. And each time I switch channels to an uncongested end of the spectrum, all the other routers nearby seem to automatically change theirs and negate my efforts. But it concerns me that this is of virtually no issue to my PC which is getting damn near the full speed I'm paying for, whilst the PS4 right next to the router can barely keep up. Even my Vita is getting proper speeds.

Melchiah

wccftech interview

Probably the most relevant quote:

I might try out Ark once that Pro patch goes live.

This is an interesting part as well.

What do you think of Sony’s PS4 Pro performance as a developer? Were you impressed by the hardware or not?

Very impressed with its performance, at a very reasonable price. We estimate it would cost at least $900 to build a similarly powerful PC, and that’s if you were custom-building it with extreme cost control. We estimate its raw GPU performance is similar to an NVIDIA 970, and along with CPU improvements and overall more memory, it’s a really high benchmark for console performance. Hats off to Sony for “crossing the Rubicon” of console hardware updates (bonus that it tends to improve performance in just about every existing title in the PlayStation 4 library)!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Is it me or Starwars Battlefront looks terrible on my PS4 Pro? The Anti aliasing is simply horrible...

Battlefront has no PS4 Pro upgrades. It actually has pretty good AA. The problem is that it's 900p.

Top Bottom